Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 12496 times)

SHIREFLIP

Re: Gardening
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »
Why sage?

I've got some parsley, chives, mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, and cilantro going. I'm sure sage could join the party, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

That said, there are some wild morning glory plants growing, and I may be wrong, but I think I recall somebody telling me their seeds are full of DMT or some manner of alkaloid similar in structure to tryptamines. I'll hit the books and report back. At the very least, I could potentially drug some squirrels.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2018, 10:30:54 AM »
It's called smudging. Indigenous practised  and it just smells good
Gentleman ninja warlock

shark tits

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
first batch of cukes, pickled!
didn't boil the jar to a 'pop' [used jars] so prolly eat em in a month or so. got more cucumbers in the yard. i've been really into natural preserving of foods [basically pickling or jam] the last 2 yrs.
[thumb for scale, whole lotta pickles!]

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
Why sage?

I've got some parsley, chives, mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, and cilantro going. I'm sure sage could join the party, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

That said, there are some wild morning glory plants growing, and I may be wrong, but I think I recall somebody telling me their seeds are full of DMT or some manner of alkaloid similar in structure to tryptamines. I'll hit the books and report back. At the very least, I could potentially drug some squirrels.
Morning Glory seeds give you LSA. Best to mix with a lil mescaline and make those microdots proper.
DMT is in so many pants. Reed Canary Grass, and I know the "clothing dye" root has decreased in quality since ten years ago. DMT is literally everywhere in varying amounts.
My wife just reminded me when she first moved in with me if smoke a gram on deemsters in an evening and watch inhabitants on repeat. I'd totally forgotten that

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
my rainbow carrots only came out white/yellow but my orange ones are thick as thieves!

carrots, squash, tomatoes and okra. i've gotten a few shiitakes too, hope i get a full mushroom crop this fall.

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »
i soaked my mushrooms logs the other day. lion's mane is slow and reishi's are small too but 2 of my shiitake mushrooms are going off! this is one of them.

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
cushaw for the great state of kentucky. i got a whole patch of em.

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
you should be pushing up daisies instead of digging up vegetables
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
take that sass back to butt town, will ya?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
you should be pushing up daisies instead of digging up vegetables
TYFYS

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2020, 07:34:52 PM »
Bumping this,

With all this shit going on and the extra free time and trying to go to the store less.  I am looking to start a container garden.  My girlfriend and I currently rent and she can get a ton of free 5 gallon buckets (from a cafe) so I think we are gonna grow some peppers, tomatoe, herbs, onions, cucumbers and probably more.

I'm pretty pumped about it.  I've wanted to get something going for a few years and it's finally working out.  Anyone got any suggestions or gardens of their own going that they'd like to share?  I'm pretty stoked on the idea of this too, it seems kind of liberating to take a basic need and do it yourself!

Lou Skunt

• Rep: -2
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2020, 02:04:29 AM »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2020, 06:27:20 AM »
I started some seeds in my closet a few weeks ago. Zucchini, tomatoes, mint, lemon balm, cucumbers, peppers, and some pot. Hopefully the squirrels don’t eat it all when it gets outside.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2020, 06:48:58 PM »
I got Tomatoes, Peas, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Cukes, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Carrots, Onions, and some Carrots in the planter boxes in my front yard. Its my first time doing any type of growing. I planted my shit wack as well so its gunna be interesting with the trellises. In pots I have Habanero, Ghost, and Jalapeno plants. (Quarantine made me ambitious haha). I got some extra shallow space for some more herbs, but I dont really know what would be good. Anyone got any recommendations?

Not expecting many of them to live since its my first time and I didnt do any research haha. Also its not so much gardening but whats some good stuff for indoor house plants? Im thinking succulents but if theres something I can plant and also use as a herb that would be rad.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
I've been trying to get into gardening but even though the house I live at has lots of room in the backyard, most of it is super overgrown with weeds and would take a crap ton of work to get going. My housemates and I have been trying to get a garden bed started, but we're lagging on it.

I'm super interested in starting plants in buckets and other bulky containers though. To those who do it, how do you deal with soil drainage? Do you cut holes into the bottom, or just water sparingly?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »
I got Tomatoes, Peas, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Cukes, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Carrots, Onions, and some Carrots in the planter boxes in my front yard. Its my first time doing any type of growing. I planted my shit wack as well so its gunna be interesting with the trellises. In pots I have Habanero, Ghost, and Jalapeno plants. (Quarantine made me ambitious haha). I got some extra shallow space for some more herbs, but I dont really know what would be good. Anyone got any recommendations?

Not expecting many of them to live since its my first time and I didnt do any research haha. Also its not so much gardening but whats some good stuff for indoor house plants? Im thinking succulents but if theres something I can plant and also use as a herb that would be rad.

Like it’s additional shallow soil, or it’s veeeery shallow? Because basil can grow well in minimal soil in my experience.

I've been trying to get into gardening but even though the house I live at has lots of room in the backyard, most of it is super overgrown with weeds and would take a crap ton of work to get going. My housemates and I have been trying to get a garden bed started, but we're lagging on it.

I'm super interested in starting plants in buckets and other bulky containers though. To those who do it, how do you deal with soil drainage? Do you cut holes into the bottom, or just water sparingly?

Cut holes if you can!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:47:39 PM by JANUS »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
Its about 3 inches of store bought soil and underneath it is just my yard. I have a roto tiller so before I put the box in I tilled the fuck outta it. I figured id plant some herbs there since they have a better chance of surviving instead of more veggies.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »
Its about 3 inches of store bought soil and underneath it is just my yard. I have a roto tiller so before I put the box in I tilled the fuck outta it. I figured id plant some herbs there since they have a better chance of surviving instead of more veggies.

Yeah, you should be able to do herbs in there nicely, especially if the roots can grow down into the soil from your yard. I’ll double check, but in my experience, basil, oregano, chives, parsley, and  thyme grew well in limited soil. Cilantro and dill did pretty well, too.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2020, 09:32:57 AM »
Update on the gardening endeavours:
Plants are starting to look good outside. The hot pepper plants are still having some issues but I think its because of the weather (in WA state) so I started bringing them inside at night to keep them outta the cold. I planted a spearmint and sweetmint plants in my spare pots. I have a big patch of dirt in my yard on a hill that would cost a shitload of money to level out and grow grass so instead I sowed a bunch of wildflowers that are good for bees and hummingbirds. I just started the seeds for the flower beds so I have Petunias, Delphiniums, Milkweed, Lobelia, and Morning Glory. I got a nice looking orchid for the dining room table to add some color to the inside of my house. Im thinking of ordering some succulents just to place around the kitchen/living room.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2020, 12:55:52 PM »
today when leaving work I clipped a bit of ivy from one of the plants in the hallway, and planted it when I got home. I might clip another bit and try to propagate it in water, just for comparison. The fact that I can just take a clipping of a plant and grow my own is so cool to me.

vindogg

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2020, 11:12:05 PM »
today when leaving work I clipped a bit of ivy from one of the plants in the hallway, and planted it when I got home. I might clip another bit and try to propagate it in water, just for comparison. The fact that I can just take a clipping of a plant and grow my own is so cool to me.

Yes to this, I have an aunt who used to go absolutely everywhere with a pair of secatuers in her jacket pocket. I have recently taken to visiting public parks with a pair of my own and am propagating two types of Hebe, a Virginia creeper and another strange vine with purple/green leaves.

Which leads me to my next point, cafe plants and propagation, Firstly, a great way to get expensive plants, and secondly and most importantly, a great way to talk to your waitress about something non food related.  They can even care enough to ask you if your cutting grew, if you return, which is another opportunity to have a conversation.

I'm also curious as to why you chose to propagate ivy? If only for an experiment I understand but if not dont plant it outside! I spent a good hour clearing that stuff from a client's garden today and it will suffocate all that it comes into contact with. I also suspect you'll have better luck in water, but make sure not to let its roots get too long before chucking it in a pot with potting mix.

paul5

• Rep: 0
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
There are many things to known about gardening- Plants according to season, soil, garden steel trowel, place. These are the basic thing for gardening. But the most important thing is that how to choose plants for garden or pots, how to care. You should know about these points.
I read reviews about types of gardening tools & their uses at review whore and This is one of the best place to read reviews about products.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »
I forgot about this thread. Check out this big ass zucchini I harvested yesterday.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
That is tasty looking. Congratulations.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2021, 05:53:07 AM »
Not sure if there's another thread ongoing concerning gardening, but this one popped up when I did a search.

What's everyone growing?

I'm mostly into growing chilies but  I also replant scallions into a pot  on my balcony since they're really easy to regrow. Last year I grew Carolina Reapers, Lemon Aji's, Black Scorpion Tongues, and Bonda Ma Jacques. Thinking about growing some aji charapitas, rocotos, sugar rush peach, and el oro de ecuador's this year.   

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2021, 06:19:33 AM »
Not sure if there's another thread ongoing concerning gardening, but this one popped up when I did a search.

What's everyone growing?

I'm mostly into growing chilies but  I also replant scallions into a pot  on my balcony since they're really easy to regrow. Last year I grew Carolina Reapers, Lemon Aji's, Black Scorpion Tongues, and Bonda Ma Jacques. Thinking about growing some aji charapitas, rocotos, sugar rush peach, and el oro de ecuador's this year.
I sort of stick to the basics.  Red, yellow, and green bell peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers, grape and big beef tomatoes. Various types of cucumber. I TRY to do zucchini, but I get squash vine borers pretty bad in my area and they're usually ruined after one harvest.  It's funny you mentioned the sugar rush peach, I tried those last year and they're really good and produce lots of fruit but took FOREVER to ripen.

Get hungry on it!

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2021, 07:19:49 AM »
i'm building a bog

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2021, 07:24:59 AM »
my mother in law keeps stopping by and is overwatering my weed plant and it’s driving me nuts
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
Expand Quote

What's everyone growing?

[close]
I sort of stick to the basics.  Red, yellow, and green bell peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, banana peppers, grape and big beef tomatoes. Various types of cucumber. I TRY to do zucchini, but I get squash vine borers pretty bad in my area and they're usually ruined after one harvest.  It's funny you mentioned the sugar rush peach, I tried those last year and they're really good and produce lots of fruit but took FOREVER to ripen.

Sounds like a nice combination of things you have growing. I'd probably try add bell peppers to my bunch next but tomatoes also grow well with chllies. Living in Germany, it's kind of a bitch to grow chillies. Kind of a bitch to grow anything that needs warm weather/sun ha.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2021, 09:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

What's everyone growing?

[close]
[close]

Sounds like a nice combination of things you have growing. I'd probably try add bell peppers to my bunch next but tomatoes also grow well with chllies. Living in Germany, it's kind of a bitch to grow chillies. Kind of a bitch to grow anything that needs warm weather/sun ha.
Yeah bell peppers are pretty much a staple for me, and they fit in with about everything I cook.  Last year with covid in full force we leaned heavily on the garden and almost nothing went to waste.  For me that's always been the most appealing part of gardening, the self sufficiency and being able to utilize the literal fruits of your labor.

Get hungry on it!