Author Topic: Stevie Williams | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 44  (Read 8059 times)

raji

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: Stevie Williams | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 44
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
the shit at the end about the robe was like larry david and leon black talking

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
Speaking exclusively in cliches is the key to success.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It was a good episode, but they could of asked some hard hitting questions. Like,
What did you think of your riders quitting via social media?
Whats up with the Rick Ross thing?
WTF is going on at KAYO as a whole?
[close]
I think they probably wanted to ask those questions, but I doubt Stevie would want to publicly talk awknowledge DGK's troubles. It kinda ruins the image

They probably can't ask too many uncomfortable questions because it may ward of future guests.
[close]

Him backing Troy Morgan still shows his allegiance to Kayo and not his riders. That was enough rather than going into Lenny and others not being happy. But I do get it that Kayo needs to do this to stay afloat but not paying your riders is just bad business practice. Should have just done what other companies do and do pay cuts which usually leads to them quiting anyways. Not paying is flat out wrong but I assume none of those guys had contracts in place.
[close]

I seriously want to see what these contracts look like...its been said on here before that a lot of these contracts may have stipulations about payments if skater isn't delivering right?  If someone wasn't paying you according to contract why not sue?

I am sure that is where the issues is. Most of these contracts probably have serious loopholes. I think DC is the one that has the contract where you have to skate. I honestly think that is a perfectly decent thing to add since this is a skating company we are talking about. That is why I back Girl for dropping Pops for him not producing footage for Pretty Sweet. Mike Mo got lucky with his contract considering he was hurt. I think the Kayo guys just have no contracts at all which probably allowed them to just stop payment to their riders. There is no way people like Lenny could sue since it's all done by faith. I doubt they ever felt it would get that way since they got on through Stevie but Stevie is obviously looking out for number one now and can't focus on their careers.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
^ Stevie made it sound like he sucks at day to day business and that he has other people handling it for him.  He didn't even talk about any recent skate parts / social media clips from any of his team rider either, kind of just gassed his tricks/parts/career for the most part.

too much

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
You guys, Stevie did explain why, in a professional business like way to us the end users...ecom and bad forecasting. He gave numbers like $70k, $11 million dollar company, not sure how you guys missed that. In short what he was saying was the huge financial crisis that happened at Kayo was sales tanked, probably I'm guessing in the millions, because they had forecasted a certain amount of sales, he gave the example $70K, produced that much merchandize to meet their sales goals of $70K, and didn't sell a fucking thing and took huge losses over a certain period of time, and that might have repeated a few times in row, and may have happened for a few different sku's so $70K here, $70K there and there, boom were talking $250K loss in 4 months and no one is getting paid. Then who knows how frequently this was happening, or for what length of time. He's not going to say that directly, or get into specifics, he's a multi-million dollar business owner they don't talk like that to the public (end users). He's not going to give out detailed internal information but fuck he literally explained it pretty well. Watch it again and listen.

When you are doing annual sales of $11 million and you have forecasting mistakes the losses jump up rather quickly and people get laid off. I guess however the contracts were between the riders, Kayo told them we can't pay you anymore but you can still ride for us. Which if I remember correctly was the circumstance for a bunch of dudes, because they all cried about it on instagram. At a regular salary job outside of the skateboard industry, if these huge quarterly losses happen, you just get laid off or terminated, because your salary is used to pay off those losses unfortunately, while the top share holders still drive fancy cars, get their vacations, and steak and lobster. It's just how shit goes at a corporate level. However, those top shareholders life at work turns to hell, workload gets doubled maybe tripled, and shit gets hectic with the banks, creditors, debt collectors, and attorneys. Don't assume the people at Kayo who are still there making money are happy with what happened.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
It's maybe money.....but someone kicked down to get the stuff made and if it doesn't pop off....they want their ROI.....and adjustments are made....its financing.....

Was I the only one wondering how all three of them didn't mention seek or alien?

otherwise...this one was great....

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »
I would love to be in one of these corporate finance meetings with Stevie.

"You fucks with me, I will fucks with you, ok?"

Mic drop.

Mad Max

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 05:36:06 AM »
You guys, Stevie did explain why, in a professional business like way to us the end users...ecom and bad forecasting. He gave numbers like $70k, $11 million dollar company, not sure how you guys missed that. In short what he was saying was the huge financial crisis that happened at Kayo was sales tanked, probably I'm guessing in the millions, because they had forecasted a certain amount of sales, he gave the example $70K, produced that much merchandize to meet their sales goals of $70K, and didn't sell a fucking thing and took huge losses over a certain period of time, and that might have repeated a few times in row, and may have happened for a few different sku's so $70K here, $70K there and there, boom were talking $250K loss in 4 months and no one is getting paid. Then who knows how frequently this was happening, or for what length of time. He's not going to say that directly, or get into specifics, he's a multi-million dollar business owner they don't talk like that to the public (end users). He's not going to give out detailed internal information but fuck he literally explained it pretty well. Watch it again and listen.

When you are doing annual sales of $11 million and you have forecasting mistakes the losses jump up rather quickly and people get laid off. I guess however the contracts were between the riders, Kayo told them we can't pay you anymore but you can still ride for us. Which if I remember correctly was the circumstance for a bunch of dudes, because they all cried about it on instagram. At a regular salary job outside of the skateboard industry, if these huge quarterly losses happen, you just get laid off or terminated, because your salary is used to pay off those losses unfortunately, while the top share holders still drive fancy cars, get their vacations, and steak and lobster. It's just how shit goes at a corporate level. However, those top shareholders life at work turns to hell, workload gets doubled maybe tripled, and shit gets hectic with the banks, creditors, debt collectors, and attorneys. Don't assume the people at Kayo who are still there making money are happy with what happened.

This ^^^

I also liked how he hit Kelly up with "You know how it is Kelly, You in this business" and Kelly kind of rolled his eyes in agreement.
A clear signal that Es are toughing it out with the major sport brands.

I also got the feeling Stevie's business sense and passion for skateboarding kind of took some of the wind out of Chris's usual sarcasm. But in a good way.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 07:21:46 AM »
I would love to be in one of these corporate finance meetings with Stevie.

"You fucks with me, I will fucks with you, ok?"

Mic drop.

Just put a bunch of fruits on the table, I just want to go skate.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »

I don't think its that complicated...Stevie claimed he knows the market and is an industry expert since he's been in the game and was schooled by hard knock business owners (illuminatums) early on.  But at the end of the day if your products aren't selling you cant really be that markets expert.  A lot of people tend to depend on expertise advice to sustain their economic status, but once that advice fails...you see people dropping support

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:18 AM »
i love the show but sometimes the missed opportunities drive me insane. 

kelly is a kayo rider/team manager that most likely has first hand info ("some riders wer really bummed about X, should they be? what happened?")  or could back up some of the talk about forecasts etc.  I would have loved to hear about stevie's take on kayo dropping and picking kelly back up.   

kelly comes off as really harmless but clearly keeps his ear to the ground and knows a ton about the industry-- they should start using him to slip the tough questions, and stop stepping all over him when he speaks.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »
Stoked Stevie didn't keep saying all of his ideas were....'just ahead of its time....'

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »
I'm liking these longer episodes. It takes me a few days to get through them.

I know this interview was about Stevie, but there's so many stories I would love to hear him talk about. Especially his thoughts on Keelan/Scumbag sexually assaulting a teenager.  Would have been a nice segway from his MJ story.

sharkbarf

• Rep: 1
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
I can't believe there was no mention of the philly cheese steak sandwich ad. 

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »

So this is basically the deal, KAYO was supported by  I Love Haters and various DGK shirts that were pretty universally popular in big urban centers. Orginally they were selling these shirts to skate shops and urban boutique sneaker stores, but everyone probaly got a little bit greedy and KAYO began selling them to any and everyone such as Arab store and ghetto gas stations, at around the same time they had oversaturated the market urban youth culture and hypebeast culture became more focused on high end clothing labels and DGK clothing became the equivalent of an ECKO shirt to the cool kids. Like Vision Street Wear in the late 80s they probaly built an infastructure around moving 100s of thousands of DGK shirts a year.  This is how they were able to pay dudes like Keelan Dadd 10 grand a month when pros of other decent companies may have a hard time getting $1200 a month.
Asphalt Yacht Club is Stevies attempt to tap into that high end market, and right now they're probaly pretending or attempting to be "exclusive" we only open cool stores type of shit. Funny thing is idk if Stevies the designer or they have no designer or whatever, the stuff looks exactly like everything in the trends section of H&M and Urban outfitters, almost completely ripped off, the only reason i could see anyone buy AYC is cuz of the brand name, they've even done a lot of these designs of DGK and Kayo clothes years ago. IDk if the company is doing well or not but they aren't bringing anything new or unique to the table that i could see someone really being hyped on.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
i know its been discussed before but AYC's main backer is Tommy Hilfiger, which makes sense on so many levels. i love stevie's skating and that he hooks up his friends but his business sense basically boils down to making one t shirt/slogan successful.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
Tango Hotel sounds like it's going straight to TJ Maxx.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:27 PM »
Once it flops,will it be blamed on being too ahead of its time ?

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
^^^^^^^^^ Stevie lookin like Little Bill in that pic

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:05 PM »
It was a good episode, but they could of asked some hard hitting questions. Like,
What did you think of your riders quitting via social media?
Whats up with the Rick Ross thing?
WTF is going on at KAYO as a whole?

This would have been the perfect episode to start asking questions like that. He'd only seen the Lil Wayne episode, so he might have thought tough questions were common.