Author Topic: chrome ball interview #100: danny way  (Read 7155 times)

chops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 107
    • the chrome ball incident avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
chrome ball interview #100: danny way
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
Hello Slap,
Hope you don't mind a bit of self-promotion here, I posted an interview with Danny Way today.
http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2017/04/chrome-ball-interview-100-danny-way.html
Hope you like it.
Thanks.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
Re: chrome ball interview #100: danny way
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
this has got to be a long interview, I'm gonna have to go to the store for beer and smokes before I sit down to read this

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
Congrats on 9 years Chops! Love the blog

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Thanks for everything Chops, seriously.
And thank you for not shying away from hard-hitting questions, that shit is important.
Infinite respect.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »
Congrats on 100. Love these interviews. I'm suprised that the Sal interview didn't get more love on here.

Havent read this one yet but I hope he asks about his fondness for bricks.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »
Great interview, the gay shit is funny though, he's in a Big Brother getting trolled by Dave Carnie about what would he do if his son was gay and he kinda trips out and says something along the lines of "My son won't be gay cuz he's raised right" which obviously Dave had done cuz he knew Danny had gay issues. Also he had a last words in transworld and it was "when was the last time you felt uncomfortable" and he said when he was in some neighborhood which meant nothing to me at the time, then when i went to San Diego i found out that was the gay neighborhood up near the park. I wish he would just admit to having issues and saying that he's grown up now and not the same dude he was in 98 or whatever when he was a pretty hardcore homophobe.
Not to be all negative but great job Chops!

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
Chops you legend, you're really doing the (dark) Lord's work here! 100 interviews... time just creeps up and hits you like a brick sometimes.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
This is what an interview should be. Respectful but asking hard questions. Excellent work here.

nonstop29

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
Hmm, but PRod has said before that he was contacted by the guys at Plan B when it was getting revamped, and not the other way around

daewonbong3000

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
What is that Madollie game of SKATE against Tony Hawk they refer to?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
What is that Madollie game of SKATE against Tony Hawk they refer to?
Interested in that myself, also I remember Danny Way taking shots at Tony Hawk as recently as 2005.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 03:51:13 PM »
Thanks Chops.  Truly the standard  bearer of skateboarding journalism/interviewing/blogging - whatever you call it

cousinharold

• Rep: -63
    • muckmouth avatar image
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »
Really good work on this, Chops.
I aint gonna get a job at El Pollo Loco, they'll make me tuck my shirt in.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 04:42:42 PM »
Great interview, the gay shit is funny though, he's in a Big Brother getting trolled by Dave Carnie about what would he do if his son was gay and he kinda trips out and says something along the lines of "My son won't be gay cuz he's raised right" which obviously Dave had done cuz he knew Danny had gay issues. Also he had a last words in transworld and it was "when was the last time you felt uncomfortable" and he said when he was in some neighborhood which meant nothing to me at the time, then when i went to San Diego i found out that was the gay neighborhood up near the park. I wish he would just admit to having issues and saying that he's grown up now and not the same dude he was in 98 or whatever when he was a pretty hardcore homophobe.
Not to be all negative but great job Chops!

My buddy sort of has the same mindset. Always says he's fine with gay people but then like says things to contradict that. I've seen him interact with gay people and it's all fine but then if someone says something personal to him about say his son being gay, he like totally goes crazy. I guess he's like okay with gay people as long as it doesn't really associate with him directly.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »
Another great interview! I'm still not convinced Danny isn't a homophobe, but I'm glad you asked those questions.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:12 PM »
Holy fuck. His description of tre flipping the mega & skating the mega rail were so sick. The gnarliest skater ever.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 08:40:43 PM »
Super good interview and Danny was more honest and owned up to more than most people....

Thank god no one holds me to the warped values I had when I was 20.....

His story was a lot more brief than Josh Swindells but he didn't totally duck the question.....

Danny and Tony were just different camps....shit talk just happens.....

shark tits

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
Holy fuck. His description of tre flipping the mega & skating the mega rail were so sick. The gnarliest skater ever.
prior to that he got so paralyzed surfing he communicating through blinks. gnarliest human being ever.
post beating paralysis and broken neck he jumped out of a helicopter into vert, sw flip 50-50'd a gap to giant rainbow rail, the aforementioned 360 flip and bs 360'd the great wall of vagina. on a broken foot.
good job chops, always dig your blog and though i miss it's former frequency it's worth the wait.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 09:23:56 PM »
slap started plan b confirmed
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 02:15:24 AM »
Chops, we will pay big money for a printed version of CBI with a compilations of interviews and features.

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -96
  • tae-tae
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:46 AM »
ohyeahohyeah

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:30 AM »
epic interview.....great way to celebrate #100

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:54 AM »
Chops, we will pay big money for a printed version of CBI with a compilations of interviews and features.

that is a good idea. Old people like print!

Anyways just started reading and this caught my eye:
"But this is Southern California, the heart of skateboarding culture for that era. It�s harder to get noticed out here because skating is so popular. I mean, I was skating at the Del Mar Skate Ranch. That park alone was just full of talent at the time, so I had to be patient."

Seriously?? Think about rippers in Brazil, Europe or something!! For these guys it was hard being noticed! Pre-Internet I mean.

Anyways, I have a lot of respect for Way's accomplishments so I'll shut my mouth and keep on reading...

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:24 AM »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 06:57:52 AM »
skateboardrumors.com started plan b confirmed

BUT I'm callin' bullshit on a lot of this.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"But this is Southern California, the heart of skateboarding culture for that era. It�s harder to get noticed out here because skating is so popular. I mean, I was skating at the Del Mar Skate Ranch. That park alone was just full of talent at the time, so I had to be patient."

Seriously?? Think about rippers in Brazil, Europe or something!! For these guys it was hard being noticed! Pre-Internet I mean.

Anyways, I have a lot of respect for Way's accomplishments so I'll shut my mouth and keep on reading...

There weren't really too many rippers from Europe/South America back then.  Remember the Euro/international montages in the old Powell and Santa Cruz videos?  Those guys were always a few years behind US pros.  I am sure there were exceptions, but SoCal was where it was at back then.  Even east coast US guys didn't get much love unless they moved out to or filmed in California.     

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There weren't really too many rippers from Europe/South America back then.  Remember the Euro/international montages in the old Powell and Santa Cruz videos?  Those guys were always a few years behind US pros.  I am sure there were exceptions, but SoCal was where it was at back then.  Even east coast US guys didn't get much love unless they moved out to or filmed in California.     

Simply put,there's rippers everywhere but without the industry around talent kind of gets ignored. Coverage and all that gets done a lot more in So Cal...and Danny was basically saying talent is a dime a dozen to the industry they overlook a lot of dudes and Im sure Danny had to stand out amongst them all.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
 theres rippers everywhere now, back then a good chunk of europe and other countries probably had very limited skate media and influence. people aren't simply better athletes nowadays compared to 20 years ago.

the spread of skate media and increased popularity of skating is why there are incredibly good skaters popping up from all over the earth, and exponentially so. people see what is possible now
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Simply put,there's rippers everywhere but without the industry around talent kind of gets ignored. Coverage and all that gets done a lot more in So Cal...and Danny was basically saying talent is a dime a dozen to the industry they overlook a lot of dudes and Im sure Danny had to stand out amongst them all.

totally agree on the "few years behind thing". But it just seems to me growing up in California is a big plus for a skater, not a hindrance. Even now. Which is why Way's comment struck me as weird. And he says he had a hard time affording boards? Man skate stuff is twice as expensive outside the US. A Cali guy complaining about this stuff just shows he doesn't know how good he has it.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
also: epic interview. I think Way's name will remain carved in skate history for a very long time.