Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 170893 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2017, 05:25:46 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=95511.msg2674775#msg2674775 date=1502977746
Expand Quote

Homie gave me these today, so stoked especially because my Silas 1's died completely yesterday
[close]
we are brothers from a different mother aren't we, I have a pair of them arriving on Monday (and just took out my Silas 1's for their last skate :'() how are they comparing?
Like night and day,Sesla's have a lot thinner sole and snug fit while Silas' had a slightly high heel and wide fit. Sesla's feel more like a running shoe, like Nike Free or similar "flat" shoe,your feet is close to ground but still feels very secured and cushioned. Haven't skated those bad boys yet tho...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=95511.msg2675358#msg2675358 date=1503059146
Like night and day,Sesla's have a lot thinner sole and snug fit while Silas' had a slightly high heel and wide fit. Sesla's feel more like a running shoe, like Nike Free or similar "flat" shoe,your feet is close to ground but still feels very secured and cushioned. Haven't skated those bad boys yet tho...
I just had a pair delivered to my office (and I'm wearing my Silas' today). Initial thoughts are that length-wise they fit nicely but are kind of tight width-wise. your pair looks nice and worn in though so I'm hoping mine will stretch somewhat. I'll miss that Silas heel-lock but I think I may have finally found my replacement ...they remind me of old muksa/ creagers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:34:45 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2017, 05:52:35 AM »
Just ordered some AV Rapidweld Pro Lite, they were two time the price of Chucks but I hope they will last longer.
I also saw someone wearing the HUF Soto and they look soooo good !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Jordick

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
How much is the shipping roughly?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »
How much is the shipping roughly?
are you asking me for the free Ryan lay's? Whereabouts are you located? Will try and head to the post office tomorrow and get a quote for ya ;)

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:51 AM »
I know this model is quite old now but never seen them in the wild before, so here are a few pictures of the Vans AV Rapidweld Pro Lite :

Skated them just once, the flick is good, board feel is not very good yet but I have to break them in.
I found them for 80? on eBay, but they are 110? on the Vans website...

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
I know this model is quite old now but never seen them in the wild before, so here are a few pictures of the Vans AV Rapidweld Pro Lite :

Skated them just once, the flick is good, board feel is not very good yet but I have to break them in.
I found them for 80? on eBay, but they are 110? on the Vans website...

just ordered a pair of these (in red), haven't gotten em yet but feel like i'm taking a huge risk (yes, it's that dramatic) as I usually only skate era pros or slip ons.  Those look great! 

By the way, not sure where you live but CCS and 6pm has those for $60.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »
they look a lot more sturdy than Rowley 1's, let me know how they breathe

my Ryan lay's (size 10) are still up for free if anyone wants to pay the shipping for them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:53:59 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2017, 12:16:54 AM »
Second session yesterday, they're starting to feel real great.
That's my first pair of Vans in years, last ten pairs were Chucks, so I took a "big risk" too but I think I'm going to enjoy them.

By the way, it was ridiculously hot yesterday, (35 Celsius, 95F) and my feet burned if I stayed in the sun.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
copied from the New Releases thread...Kenny Anderson's new vegan collection:
Converse CONS x Chocolate Collab

https://thepremierstore.com/blogs/product/kenny-anderson-chocolate-converse
Release Date: Friday, 9/1/17

Price: $80/ pair

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »
I gave my comments in that thread but they're kinda underwhelming given his track record of shoes, would of liked something a bit more tech... that said vegan KA and his woman make me smile on the daily

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2017, 05:59:03 PM »
Is there any proof that they don't use animal based adhesives on them shoes?

I know a lot of vegans who wear chucks as they are canvas therefore 'vegan' but I know that they use or at least used animal based adhesives on all of their shoes?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
Is there any proof that they don't use animal based adhesives on them shoes?

I know a lot of vegans who wear chucks as they are canvas therefore 'vegan' but I know that they use or at least used animal based adhesives on all of their shoes?
yeah and cons avoid actually answering this questions every time it's brought up saying, "well we can't guarantee they are ZERO animal products in our glues so we won't give you a definitive answer". Personally I don't buy cons because of the nike affiliation but I was willing to make the exception for Kenny if he came out with some good vegan tech. Who knows how fussy he is about this type of stuff though and it's doubtful that cons will change up their whole production methods for just one shoe...

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
Its my understanding that if a company doesn't say -specifically- that they used non-animal based adhesives, they do. I had a lot of customers at Vans come buy canvas shoes, thinking they were vegan, but its that damn glue that gets you.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -8
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2017, 02:00:48 AM »
Its my understanding that if a company doesn't say -specifically- that they used non-animal based adhesives, they do. I had a lot of customers at Vans come buy canvas shoes, thinking they were vegan, but its that damn glue that gets you.

can you elaborate on this? do most vans shoes use animal-based adhesives?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2017, 04:33:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

can you elaborate on this? do most vans shoes use animal-based adhesives?

I think that's the truth,unfortunately.

It sucks getting old.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
Second session yesterday, they're starting to feel real great.
That's my first pair of Vans in years, last ten pairs were Chucks, so I took a "big risk" too but I think I'm going to enjoy them.

By the way, it was ridiculously hot yesterday, (35 Celsius, 95F) and my feet burned if I stayed in the sun.

Skated mine for the first time today, and I have to say I like them a lot.  They seem to have a little bit wider toebox than the slip on pros I was wearing (which were strangling my wide ass feet).  Really comfortable.  I've read other places that they don't breathe well and get warm, but I didn't really notice that at all.  It would surprise me because of the mesh.  However we are having a crazy heatwave in the bay area so just about everything felt hot today.

In synopsis, pretty excited about these and will keep buying them if I can get them in the 60 dollar range. 

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2017, 12:40:29 AM »
From the french Vans website, about AV Rapidweld Pro Lite :

Les mati?res utilis?es ? la fabrication de ces mod?les (y compris les adh?sifs) ne contiennent aucun sous-produit animal et sont donc 100 % vegan.

My poor traduction :
Material used for the making of these shoes (including adhesives) do not contain animal based product, et so are 100% vegan.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »
I also think sole tech is pretty good with these things, I doubt ed would have let them label all of his shoes vegan if they contained animal glues?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2017, 02:40:05 AM »
I don't know about sole tech but if I were you I wouldn't be sure unless it is written in black in white...

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
I don't know about sole tech but if I were you I wouldn't be sure unless it is written in black in white...
Atleast for Sesla they say "vegan friendly" on sole techs website,listed under features.

It sucks getting old.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=95511.msg2684020#msg2684020 date=1504813647
Expand Quote
[close]
Atleast for Sesla they say "vegan friendly" on sole techs website,listed under features.
and etnies recently did Ryan's shoe and emerica always labelled ed's shoes as vegan (and still have a vegan search on their site). Anyone friends with Don Brown?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »
It could be a legal liability to call something simply vegan, I doubt these companies have enough control of their overseas supply chain, to even be able to know if all materials are vegan. Perhaps this is why no one will blatantly label a product as vegan.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

These are definitely 100% synthetic (this specific colorway. And I also saw a vegan grey and a black model as well. Not sure what the wolfway was called though... all of the other colorways are suede. )

fangen

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
koston-Scientolosock-sp-blockers.jpg

Not only does that look like a pool filter, it could easily function as one with that one size fits all stretchy flange.

Pigeon

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »
Has anyone tried that DKL griptape? I've seen reviews. It sounds lame but seems to work. Toe caps don't really help make my shoes last longer, because I mostly do ollies.

For the time being, does anyone have recommendations for shoes with a rubber ollie pad?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
Has anyone tried that DKL griptape? I've seen reviews. It sounds lame but seems to work. Toe caps don't really help make my shoes last longer, because I mostly do ollies.

For the time being, does anyone have recommendations for shoes with a rubber ollie pad?
The new Kenny Anderson cons/chocolate collab

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
koston-Scientolosock-sp-blockers.jpg

Not only does that look like a pool filter, it could easily function as one with that one size fits all stretchy flange.

haha could work.

And as much as I hated on them before, I didn't like 'em AT ALL...
So much do I like 'em now...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
It could be a legal liability to call something simply vegan, I doubt these companies have enough control of their overseas supply chain, to even be able to know if all materials are vegan. Perhaps this is why no one will blatantly label a product as vegan.
well if that was the case the same could be said for food no? you can't guarantee 100% that no animals were harmed in the harvesting and shipping of said vegetables. Soletech have and continue to label their products vegan and as previously mentioned I highly doubt ed would of stayed with them producing vegan shoes for as long as he did if their supply chain/ materials were that dubious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332368453797?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649 oops, just reread your post though. If I was really looking for something bulletproof in the ollie area maybe go with those new muska skytops? Sure they look ridics but they'd probably last you a good year!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:31:08 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
well if that was the case the same could be said for food no? you can't guarantee 100% that no animals were harmed in the harvesting and shipping of said vegetables. Soletech have and continue to label their products vegan and as previously mentioned I highly doubt ed would of stayed with them producing vegan shoes for as long as he did if their supply chain/ materials were that dubious.

I don't really think the two are comparable. Food has to have the ingredients listed by law in most countries, in Canada food is recalled if the ingredients list is not complete, if there are no animal products present, I would consider the product vegan. The guy in Shenzhen or Hanoi ordering materials/glues for some factory that makes shoes for 15 companies or whatever is probably not held to the same standards and probably no one gives a shit. If you think about how many food products in China are contaminated/counterfeit or just straight up fake, then I think this lends some perspective to how little they would care about provenance of shoe glue. I would not really trust any shoe made in China or most of Asia to be truly vegan, you gotta wear something to skate in, but I have not made peace with.