Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 169910 times)

kook nukem

Vegan skate shoes
« on: May 29, 2017, 06:54:08 AM »
Why do they all suck? Either flimsy ass canvas or way too tech looking. I'd love something simple like an Old Skool or Era pro made from synthetics. Any recommendations? I've had a vegan diet for a while, and I'd like to go the same route with my skate shoes, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to sacrifice style preferences in this department.

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »
Try some of the canvas State models, the canvas has a rubber backing under it so they hold up great. Skated a pair for a month and didn't break through.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
Chuck II
Cons Crimson
HUF Classic lo

I think all white and all black Vans Old Skool are canvas too.
Put some glue and they will last forever.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

kook nukem

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:04:00 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'm probably fucked as far as selection from the local shop, so now I'll just have to decide which moral cause I'd rather champion.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
Etnies Jameson HT, although it does look flimsy. Haven't seen them in stores yet

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »
Vans AV Rapidweld Pro Lites are all synthetic, last forever, and have an old skool look.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
vans authentic pros- there are some canvas options with the duracap underneath it

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
I'm not vegan but, this site might help
http://veganskateblog.com/
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
I'd check because I'm not certain, but I think that most Vans Authentic Pros are canvas with duracap underlays
(Cool Trick GIF)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
Those etnies Jameson HT are looking fine but I haven't had a chance to try them on yet...
Some other shoes I'm eye-ing up:

- lakai griffin weather treated in black synth. they are a season old but you should still be able to find them online. same season also saw these: http://www.polyvore.com/lakai_manchester_select_black_synthetic/thing?id=198286844
- NB# arto's shoe in white canvas with toe cap
- dc Evan's shoe (mostly vegan colourways/ canvas toe cap combo)
- those AV rapidwelds people are mentioning (don't get the lite ones as they have suede on them)
- Rowley 1 re-issues (not all of them are synth but recently the all black 50th anniversary edition ones are), would probs be your best bet no? Just remember that Geoff now shoots animals in the head for fun so ???
- Servant with dat 4skin tech (hard to find tho?)

other than that, clinton87 mentioned veganskateblog and emerica always come out with vegan options every season and not just on their flimsy boat type shoes. I feel like NB# could really fill the void here but they're sleeping on it and Adidas hasn't brought out a good vegan/ synth shoe since those grey Silas 1s
PM me if you're down to talk about this shit!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:51:42 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
Those etnies Jameson HT are looking fine but I haven't had a chance to try them on yet...

If you ever do, any feedback would be great.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think so many people are waiting to try them, I just haven't seen them in the wild yet. Was hoping to see some on my business trip to LA but it got cancelled.

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:06 AM »
Emerica have some vegan option on several models, thanks to Templeton I guess.
I had the reynolds version in full black, and even if the fabric seems weird first,
it was actually as good as the suede ones I already had.

http://emerica.com/eu/search/?q=vegan

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 05:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I think so many people are waiting to try them, I just haven't seen them in the wild yet. Was hoping to see some on my business trip to LA but it got cancelled.
Yee, those do look sick, Vans should start putting rubber caps inside all their canvas "Pro" models.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 06:04:48 AM »

- those AV rapidwelds people are mentioning (don't get the lite ones as they have suede on them)

Other way around, only the Lites are synthetic!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Other way around, only the Lites are synthetic!
my bad :-[ I never had a pair which really surprises me (because I love(d) Rowley 1s) but I saw some wear tests and the rapid weld seems to break in really ugly ... hard to describe but yeah, only the lites are 100% synth
also, eS Selsa's not floating your boat? too tech? not gunna lie, those brown joints look like sex on soles

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 02:34:32 AM »
Yeah, only the Lite are synthetics.

I remember a pair of AV classic in canvas that were really good.
They had a little piece of plastic under the ollie pad which made them last forever.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:11 AM »
The Etnies Jameson HT are not as flimsy as they look although it was only a sample pair the rep had with that I have seen. There are loads of Vegan shoes in the Etnies range.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »
There are loads of Vegan shoes in the Etnies range.
This is true and honestly if you were looking for the best bang for your buck then you'd just pick up some vegan maranas and be done with it. Etnies has had such a shitty image for years now though so I'm really hoping Ryan Lay and a few of the other riders can make them great again. Know who else has a huge vegan range? Osiris, but yeah who in 2017 is buying them?
I really would be down to try some servants, not many people have reviewed them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZO4iHVOrk
(this isn't the infamous raw vegan who used to post on here is it? #probalyaskedthisbefore)

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 01:03:19 AM »
Expand Quote
There are loads of Vegan shoes in the Etnies range.
[close]
This is true and honestly if you were looking for the best bang for your buck then you'd just pick up some vegan maranas and be done with it. Etnies has had such a shitty image for years now though so I'm really hoping Ryan Lay and a few of the other riders can make them great again. Know who else has a huge vegan range? Osiris, but yeah who in 2017 is buying them?
I really would be down to try some servants, not many people have reviewed them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZO4iHVOrk
(this isn't the infamous raw vegan who used to post on here is it? #probalyaskedthisbefore)

Servants seem really good, but I'm not a big fan of the dagon model.
Just checked their website and saw that they added a lot of full canvas model (the Loiter looks good) so I might try a few pair.

kook nukem

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 02:09:32 PM »
I can't bring myself to buy Etnies or Servant, which are the obvious choice. Emerica unfortunately doesn't float my boat either. Those AV rapidweld are the closest thing to a shoe I'd actually wear if all options are on the table, but they're still kinda tech. Probably just end up with whatever canvas Vans I can find and glue or goo the hell outta them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
rowley 1's are less tech than the AVE's tho?

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
Chuck II
Cons Crimson
HUF Classic lo

I think all white and all black Vans Old Skool are canvas too.
Put some glue and they will last forever.

The regular chucks aren't vegan because Nike won't confirm if they use animal glue or not (which most likely means they do). I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case for the Chuck Taylor 2's as well.

I've been vegan for like 5 years but had a big backlog of leather shoes to skate from when I was real into sneakers. I realized that buying hella canvas shoes like most vegan skaters do is probably pretty bad for the environment, and in turn all animals (including ourselves), so I just buy lightly used leather sneakers on eBay or at thrift stores.

I can't really do vulcs anymore which make up most of the vegan shoes so this really helps for me. Got a pair of Herman G6's and SB Dunk Hi's on deck now.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 06:41:29 PM »
that is the dilemma isn't it? Bravo to you for not throwing away all your old kicks and really getting the most out of them.
personally I don't buy canvas shoes because I know how quickly I'll shred through them so I always go for a synth model (or at least something with a rubber toe cap).
Synth is kinda questionable too in regards to environmental impact but don't go thinking for a second that leather is somehow the "natural" alternative as dying leather is probably equally as destructive as producing synth.
I wish brands would experiment more with eco friendly fake leather like Italian microfibers etc. but I doubt any brand out there is really focused that much on the "cause" to do so. I have some amazing micro fibre boots that age just like leather and while they were pricey I've had them for 5+ years and they don't peel like your average PVC/ pleather versions.
I think I-path was probably the best brand we've ever had because they also tried to focus on environmentally sustainable materials like hemp and had a great mix of styles (i.e. not all vulc boat shoes). I'm hoping someone influential like Kenny Anderson can come out with something that ticks all the boxes for us and while I'd like to see another Mike V. shoe, it doesn't look like he'll ever get another shoe sponsor :'(
I think I might have to just bite the bullet on those Ryan Lay etnies because it seems like he's the only current pro that is really pushing the message so to speak...

edit: any of you rocked these? http://emerica.com/eu/footwear/herman/herman-g6-vulc-6102000097.html?dwvar_6102000097_color=544#q=Vegan&start=3
I've found some pretty cheap but need to know if replacing that (red) insole is a possibility. Sorry, can't do red...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:14:47 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
edit: any of you rocked these? http://emerica.com/eu/footwear/herman/herman-g6-vulc-6102000097.html?dwvar_6102000097_color=544#q=Vegan&start=3
I've found some pretty cheap but need to know if replacing that (red) insole is a possibility. Sorry, can't do red...

"Features:
Drop-In G6 Foot bed"

Says right there. I've got a pair of grey ones (non-vegan) lined up and it's a normal removable insole.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
"Features:
Drop-In G6 Foot bed"
Says right there. I've got a pair of grey ones (non-vegan) lined up and it's a normal removable insole.
perhaps I should rephrase that; I know it's removable, but it looks like it's extra thick (ala Suciu's shoe) so I'm wondering if a regular replacement insole would be way too thin?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:18 AM »
Expand Quote
"Features:
Drop-In G6 Foot bed"
[close]
perhaps I should rephrase that; I know it's removable, but it looks like it's extra thick (ala Suciu's shoe) so I'm wondering if a regular replacement insole would be way too thin?

It's not the cheap thin foam thing that for example the Romeros have. I can take pics when I get home if you want.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 05:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Features:
Drop-In G6 Foot bed"
[close]
[close]

It's not the cheap thin foam thing that for example the Romeros have. I can take pics when I get home if you want.
After quick google search I'd say can't rock regular insoles on those, or otherwise you change dynamics of that shoe. Last three pairs of shoes I've got have those thick molded insoles like Sucius...I tried to use regular ones on my Janoski hyperfeel's cause I felt that insole is too thick on heel but they felt so weird that I think I just have to live with those Lunarlon insoles
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:20:32 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 05:54:04 AM »
There's tons of canvas skate shoes out there. it's not as limited as you think. Super glue goes a long way. I usually just skate the Converse skate pro shoes. they're great. The State models are really comfortable and durable too.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:50 AM »
Just emailed Converse about the glue used in Chuck II.