Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 169899 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »

The State Hudson is vegan. Canvas and rubber. They feel really comfortable so far. Doesn't have the arch support of the Cons metric but the in- sole is thick, you can still feel the board. I took Mr. Ben Gore's advice and aplyed super glue to the stitches.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:13:32 PM by yapple dapple »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
States look really nice but I can never find them anywhere :'(

on the flip side those welded black Sotos look pretty nice!
should I drop the hammer on a pair? anyone skated them since the cupsole update?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Hyped this thread exists, finding decent vegan skate shoes has always been a hassle for me, esp since I prefer a shoe with a bit more substance than standard vans authentics (need a decent collar & tongue).

previous shoes I've tried out recently.

adidas matchcourt lows:
(destroyed these way too quick, no collar or tongue padding killed  the tops of my feet. Too expensive for how short they last. Don't believe the hype (unless you get a super deal or for free)

AV Rapidweld Pro Lite:
Build quality is really amazing, but at $90 retail they're not cheap. Upper will outlast the outsole & midsole taping,many of the colors are god-awful (grab the black / whites & you're good). Noticed the upper lost it's grip/flick after a while of skating, making these harder to skate as they wear down, def noticed an instant improvement when I switched to new shoes. Keep the shoe goo handy to keep the upper grippy.

Es Sesla:
Got these on deck, they're a bit too techy looking for my taste & have quite a pointy toe. Hyped es is  making an all synthetic model, again not inexpensive, but I'll give them a shot. Reminds me of the e's quattro's that I had back in the late 90's, those were dope.

Something to be aware of: I've read online that DC's "Super Suede" was actually a treated synthethic suede, however after speaking w/ something who works at DC they confirmed that it is indeed real treated suede, so don't believe what you hear about "Super Suede" being synthetic, because it's NOT.

With Vans revamping the pro classics, it would be amazing if they offered at least one vegan option of their staple models (era, old skool, half cab) w/ the duracap underlay, double-wrapped foxing, & ultracush insole. They currently only offer authentics & those have not collar or tongue padding : / ....

My next pair I've got on deck. Huf Soto rubber toe: Canvas, & synthetic nubuck w/ rubber toe (all textile based):

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2017, 06:12:50 PM »
so we're on the same page with those Sotos then yeah? who knows whether or not they fit true to size?

- dc super suede def isn't synthetic and my mind boggles as to how they can still bring out Evan's shoe using animal hides

- there was a half cab pro in all canvas (camo) a couple of seasons back which I might even try and hunt down to see if I can get them on the cheap because, well because half cabs...
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/dopesnow/vans_half_cab_pro/

- I'd be down for some selsas but that are always super expensive (even on sale). I remember the quattros from back in the day and even had them in navy. They had a weird sole from memory though...

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 01:09:50 AM »

- there was a half cab pro in all canvas (camo) a couple of seasons back which I might even try and hunt down to see if I can get them on the cheap because, well because half cabs...

I have a brand new size 7.5 in box if youre interested

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2017, 01:21:30 AM »
I have a brand new size 7.5 in box if youre interested
thanks but way too small :-\

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
to answer your question a about the Sotos, yes they fit true to size. Worth picking up.

so we're on the same page with those Sotos then yeah? who knows whether or not they fit true to size?

- dc super suede def isn't synthetic and my mind boggles as to how they can still bring out Evan's shoe using animal hides

- I'd be down for some selsas but that are always super expensive (even on sale). I remember the quattros from back in the day and even had them in navy. They had a weird sole from memory though...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 01:16:57 AM »
cheers for that! I've still got a pair sitting in a shopping cart (though I missed all the 4th July sales) so I'll probably purchase them sometime next week as my Rowley 1s finally died.

On that note, didn't anyone notice that huf also brung out some of those Boyd shoes in all blue canvas? I've hated on the look of that shoe in the past ... but it actually doesn't look that bad in that colourway

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
now apple dapple got me thinking about those states (cept in all blue)...

did a bit of hunting around online and am now tossing up between:
- arto 358's in all white (even found them in half sizes which is near impossible where I live)
- etnies jameson HT (and I found a good deal on them), maybe I should be the slap guinea pig for these shoes?
- huf sotos in welded black; they just look so dope!
- huf boyds in canvas blue mostly because I can get them on the cheap/ they look nice in that colourway

I guess it's going to be the etnies or the Sotos tho...decisions decisions

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »
now apple dapple got me thinking about those states (cept in all blue)...

did a bit of hunting around online and am now tossing up between:
- arto 358's in all white (even found them in half sizes which is near impossible where I live)
- etnies jameson HT (and I found a good deal on them), maybe I should be the slap guinea pig for these shoes?
- huf sotos in welded black; they just look so dope!
- huf boyds in canvas blue mostly because I can get them on the cheap/ they look nice in that colourway

I guess it's going to be the etnies or the Sotos tho...decisions decisions

I've been skating these for a month. Want some info?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2017, 10:43:38 PM »
I've been skating these for a month. Want some info?
oh fuck yes, mini review for the slap vegans please
true to size?
comfort/ insole quality?
how are they as a hightop? flexible?
etc. etc.

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 06:14:04 AM »
SIZING
TTS, at least for sole tech. I've only tried on 2 non-sole tech shoes the past 2 years, those being the lakai flaco and griffin xlk. The flaco fit well, the griffin was too small.
SUPPORT
The insole is the standard sole tech slim foam type. It's not too supportive so I threw in a pair of states insoles. Etnies claims the shoe is a cup/vulc hybrid, but it definitely leans more towards the vulc. It's very flexible, leading me to believe there actually isn't a true midsole. The flexibility is essentially the same as the accel slim.
TREAD
The tread is good and I haven't worn through it yet. I have skated these for most likely 40 hrs on mob if that gives you any idea.
DURABILITY
It has synthetic suede, which is very very soft. It doesn't appear to be durable, because in one session (a few weeks in) I went from no wear in the ollie area to having a hole. The toe cap is not present on the lateral portion of the shoe where the suede meets the canvas. I have yet to go through the toe so I can't speak to the durability of this hidden toe cap.
HIGHTOP
The hightop is very comfortable. Dreamy really. I'll have hard time if I choose to go back to a low top. It's not too restrictive at all, but this is only my second hightop so I have little to compare it to. The inner lining is super comfy with little ventilation. It also has tongue centering straps. Heel lock gets two thumbs up from me.
OVERALL
I really like this shoe. I'm not sure if my review had a negative tone but I wanted to hit on all the potential flaws. It looks good and as long as you have a good insole and don't jump down huge stuff you should be alright. I glued some suede from an old shoe onto the ollie area which will give me a few more weeks of life. I bought them for 50 bucks from CCS and would definitely buy these again, even at full price. I'll try to add photos later.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »
gnar-ed jpmulls, thanks for the review!
(still tossing up which shoes to buy)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »
Thanks for the info - as I had thought, you confirmed that the faux suede material looked a little sawft

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
Not personally vegan but the ever stitch es shoes are out, supposed to be vegan as it's some sort of cord like material and thermothane
http://www.esskateboarding.com/us/shop/shoes/accel-slim-ever-stitch-5101000156.html?dwvar_5101000156_color=001#start=1
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »

With Vans revamping the pro classics, it would be amazing if they offered at least one vegan option of their staple models (era, old skool, half cab) w/ the duracap underlay, double-wrapped foxing, & ultracush insole. They currently only offer authentics & those have not collar or tongue padding : / ....

Please Vans listen to this!

Was gonna ask if anybody has tried skating those 14oz canvas Half Cabs?  Was thinking of buying a pair, ripping out the soles and dropping the ultra-cush in there.  I've been skating the canvas era-pros and slip on pros but want something with a little more... something.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:03 PM »
Not personally vegan but the ever stitch es shoes are out
finally! I'm wondering if I should wait for these now...

Was gonna ask if anybody has tried skating those 14oz canvas Half Cabs?  Was thinking of buying a pair, ripping out the soles and dropping the ultra-cush in there.  
I did a long time ago. I don't really know if the 14oz held up any better but they did okay. Also don't know if the ultra-cush will fuck with the dynamics or not; I just left the stock insole in there but it did flatten out over time. They're great when they're in their sweet spot but that doesn't last too long...
P.s. they're TIGHT and didn't stretch out over time. I used to have to wear pantyhose-thin socks just to get my feet in them!

edit: still can't decide between the Sotos and the etnies :-\
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:11:07 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
so ... I just ordered some Ryan Lays, it was a hard decision but I liked the "message" more when Ryan's shoe came out, the nod to sheep pulled on those heartstrings and while I don't think HUF is anywhere near corporate I want to give sole tech some of my hard-earned because all three of their brands are killing it at the moment (AND all 3 constantly offer vegan models). Still would be interested in the HUFs but for the meantime it looks like I'll be on the hightop trend :-*

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 12:08:07 AM »
Received my first pair of Cons Crimson yesterday.
They are very flexible and feel broke in out of the box.

The toecap is reaaaally big, which is confusing at first but I'm going to skate them today and see how it goes !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 04:02:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
so ... I just ordered some Ryan Lays, it was a hard decision but I liked the "message" more when Ryan's shoe came out, the nod to sheep pulled on those heartstrings and while I don't think HUF is anywhere near corporate I want to give sole tech some of my hard-earned because all three of their brands are killing it at the moment (AND all 3 constantly offer vegan models). Still would be interested in the HUFs but for the meantime it looks like I'll be on the hightop trend :-*

What color did you get? I'm really curious about that synthetic suede.
Give us a small review when you skate them please

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
Emerica just came out with some good ones, glad to see synthetic leather back in the mix!
Leo white canvas

Indicator black synth

Provost black synth

all are up on the emerica webstore (or Tactics)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:32 AM »
While I love Emerica, I can't back those faux leather joints cause I know they both have that felt shit on the sole. The romeros are nice but that canvas wouldn't last a day.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2017, 07:25:40 AM »
The emerica canvas shoes feel like they paper thin, same with etnies Jameson shits so thin, I think vans makes the best straight canvas shoes

Kinda want to try some Lakais after seeing the video, also want to try State but when I look at them they seem pretty basic for the price

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
Indicator soles appear to be felt-free!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
yeah, the whole felt thing was a fuckup at the factory. it was meant for some slippers/non-skate shoes but got applied to all vulcs for some time.
definitely not on the new models.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What color did you get? I'm really curious about that synthetic suede.
Give us a small review when you skate them please
just the plain black ones, I don't know if I could rock those grey ones. will do a quick review once they've arrived (which should be today).
those white Leo's look dope but I just don't know if I could skate in them. I've got an old pair of laced (wearing them as we speak) and the support around the ankle is too non-existent. Provost's look nice too but what we all want are some black synth Reynolds right? I think he did mention on insta that he was coming out with a colourway

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »
Posted this already in the Nike thread, but also relevant here.  Looks like a vegan-friendly dunk is coming out shortly

These are out now, available on Nike.com

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »

Not sure if its totally vegan or not, but Boos shoe has a textile upper and looks pretty rad!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2017, 06:08:41 AM »
I don't want to be the user: rob of the vegan shoe thread but after trying on the ryan lay's I don't know if I like them...
In other (terrible) news, my Silas 1's may have finally died :'(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:36:40 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »