Author Topic: Ryan Clements | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 51  (Read 12661 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Monkey_Mcpott

Re: Ryan Clements | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 51
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:46:00 AM »
Some great stories and good industry dirt. I felt bad seeing Kelly bummed on the diego team change talk though.  :-\

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:35:38 AM »
Mixed feelings about Clements so far ... dude is so concerned about setting the elite few skaters up for life while taking his chunk, he is willing to bully out the small core brands away from the best talent and selling out the whole skate industry.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
Jerry Maguire of skateboarding. Honestly has no idea he was what he does. Always just saw him as the annoying Ride Channel guy. I knew Zion had a manager. Dude probably makes more money than pros as just an AM.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
Haven't watched yet, but I'll always be grateful for him selling me an extra Tampa Pro wristband when they were sold out, when by all rights should I have been turned away.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:39:01 AM »
Haven't watched yet, but I'll always be grateful for him selling me an extra Tampa Pro wristband when they were sold out, when by all rights should I have been turned away.

As long as he can get that extra cash from you, he's ok with it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
Almost exclusively industry/business/money talk.
Sort of interesting but also sort of exhausting. Dude comes off as being fueled by cash, not "love" of skateboarding, despite how much he says to be.

I appreciate the wide variety of guests Nine Club has--skaters, filmers, photographers, TMs, agents, company owners, etc. it's very well rounded and insightful.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »
This was an odd episode for me.

The money talk was interesting but it should have been cut short.

Anyone else notice that since Bragg was on, there have been alot of hints of how to monetize the 9 club?

The revive talk was interesting. Never knew how big they are, also never knew about Chris channel

That's a weird side of skateboarding
Gentleman ninja warlock

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
Jerry Maguire of skateboarding. Honestly has no idea he was what he does. Always just saw him as the annoying Ride Channel guy. I knew Zion had a manager. Dude probably makes more money than pros as just an AM.

hahaha, yeah i saw some Berrics thing and they met Zion in the parking lot and i had never heard of him yet and was just wondering how the fuck this kid is driving a fucking Tesla. Yeah he's trying to become my friend Christians manager or maybe he already is, Christian got second in am X Games last year and will probably place top 5 at Tampa am and all that shit, and the numbers i was hearing that Clemons was gonna get him were pretty crazy for some am shit.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
He helped out Uncle Freddy and for that I respect the hell out of him.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
I remember going to Tampa back in the summer of 96'...I was still a beginner then...it was soo hot, & I remember how small the set up used to be

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
fred gall
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

mareo

• Rep: -337
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
This old fart talked shit about PJ in a Free Lunch episode. Fuck him.

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »

Ah the old UN demo comment.
Gentleman ninja warlock

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
i'm about half way through and i have to say that i enjoy the entrepreneur talk in this series just as much if not more than the skateboard stuff. there's a surprisingly large amount of business talk throughout the series which is really cool to me. i live in austin which is a startup town and run a small business and spend a lot of time with my friends talking about different business ideas trying to find a good hustle. the prod and mikey episodes were really good for that but it seems like almost every pro is entrepreneurial on this show and at this point in my life i'd probably find that to be a bigger common thread than skating with a lot of these guys.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »
Aside from disagreeing with him on certain things, episodes like this are a lot more entertaining to me than Terry's or Felipe's because it dives into stuff you haven't heard 10 times already. Also, having someone that speaks articulately and gets ideas out in a quicker way is a nice treat. Still love ya TK  :-*

Irvine-Sucks.com

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
i'm about half way through and i have to say that i enjoy the entrepreneur talk in this series just as much if not more than the skateboard stuff. there's a surprisingly large amount of business talk throughout the series which is really cool to me. i live in austin which is a startup town and run a small business and spend a lot of time with my friends talking about different business ideas trying to find a good hustle. the prod and mikey episodes were really good for that but it seems like almost every pro is entrepreneurial on this show and at this point in my life i'd probably find that to be a bigger common thread than skating with a lot of these guys.

I found it interesting also. A nice change from the normal 'boy gets sponsored' story.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »
I've known Clem well for close to a decade and all I can say is he's one of the best humans I've ever met. 100% skateboarder and now helping Pros and Ams get a fair shake from all these companies. He helps them manage their money/taxes/contracts which well most skateboarders really really need help on. He genuinely cares for all of his dudes and they're more like family to him. He loves skateboarding and gets how this crazy game goes.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 02:30:39 PM »
I've known Clem well for close to a decade and all I can say is he's one of the best humans I've ever met. 100% skateboarder and now helping Pros and Ams get a fair shake from all these companies. He helps them manage their money/taxes/contracts which well most skateboarders really really need help on. He genuinely cares for all of his dudes and they're more like family to him. He loves skateboarding and gets how this crazy game goes.

Client?
Gentleman ninja warlock

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Client?

Nope, just a good friend. I could have used him when I had a career  ;D

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 02:35:07 PM »

What did he say? Did he mention how ridiculous it is that people worship him despite not putting out content in over a decade?

rothdigga

• Rep: 570
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »

Cliff and I are both super biased, because we've worked with Clem for so long, but here's my thoughts.  I've actually been working/friends with Ryan since 2000 now, so that's longer than anyone I've ever worked with, really.  My favorite quote from anyone about Ryan was someone saying "I would love to hire Ryan to be my boss", and they were already the head of a company at the time.  I think that says a lot about his work ethic and ability to motivate.  He straight up gets shit done. 

Mcfctid

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »

I think it's cool that nine club touches on these things whom the industry.  Theres always a niche needing to be filled. And to be honest, skateboarding is an industry,  it can't just have pro skaters and team managers.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »
Loved this episode and was stoked on the guy 'til the part where he called out Kelly directly on air. What an incredibly shitty, jockish, and unprofessional thing to do-- Kelly's current employer and role in the show means he is going to have zero ability to really respond in that situation. Clements knew, and took the opportunity to steamroll Kelly and add to his narrative as the skater's defender.

And then the part where Kelly is describing the actual situation (spoiler: skater with agent is poached by shoe company X with large sums of money from a smaller, skater-run brand with a TM that supported the skater when nobody gave a shit and had a years worth of shoes/vids lined up for him) and Clements is just going "yeah bro that sucks!!! but that's what I'm paid to do" and "bro, you had a good eye with him" (subtext: we appreciate the small brands' ability to farm talent until they're ready for big shoe money, the big boys will take it from here).

In the end, you can see by his own admission that Clements has pretty much been on the forefront of developing the formula for big money in skateboarding for 10-15 years, with taking on the Nike sponsorship to doing these huge contests (e.g. Kimberley Diamond Cup), and now with his apparently ruthless contract negotiations. Your opinion on that, and him, I guess is a matter of perspective ("the homies finally getting hooked up" vs. "nike and adidas are buying the entire industry with basketball money").

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
Good episode, the whole Diego/Kelly/es thing was awkward but interesting, I wish there was more of that stuff on n9ne clu6. Rog was lookin dapper in that 2004 Billy Marks kit

im probably lying

Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What did he say? Did he mention how ridiculous it is that people worship him despite not putting out content in over a decade?

I'm obviously biased because he's my favorite skater of all time, but this notion that he hasn't put out content in a decade is such crap, absolutely incorrect and so cliche. Go to youtube, type in PJ Ladd and tell me he hasn't put out new content in a decade.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
Ruthless efficiency 

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm obviously biased because he's my favorite skater of all time, but this notion that he hasn't put out content in a decade is such crap, absolutely incorrect and so cliche. Go to youtube, type in PJ Ladd and tell me he hasn't put out new content in a decade.

OK, here are the results:

Horrible Wonderful Life
NB edit
BATB
BATB
BATB
BATB
BATB
Really Sorry
BATB
The Berrics - footnotes
X Games - Game of skate
New Balance edit
The Berrics - run & gun
The Berrics - Banging
PJ Ladd flatground fundamentals
BATB

And so on..

Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Horrible Wonderful Life
NB edit
BATB
BATB
BATB
BATB
BATB
Really Sorry
BATB
The Berrics - footnotes
X Games - Game of skate
New Balance edit
The Berrics - run & gun
The Berrics - Banging
BATB

And so on..

Looks like a lot of content to me. Especially with the "and so on". I think you're confusing the word content with the phrase Plan B True video part.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Horrible Wonderful Life
NB edit
BATB
BATB
BATB
BATB
BATB
Really Sorry
BATB
The Berrics - footnotes
X Games - Game of skate
New Balance edit
The Berrics - run & gun
The Berrics - Banging
BATB

And so on..
[close]

Looks like a lot of content to me. Especially with the "and so on". I think you're confusing the word content with the phrase Plan B True video part.

It is a lot of content, a lot of flatground and skatepark content.