Author Topic: Skaters who have it the hardest / easiest  (Read 5747 times)

reptar_bar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Skaters who have it the hardest / easiest
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »
Strange how some dudes can put so much work into skating, know the right people in the industry, but still don't have it made like some other dudes who maybe film a park clip once a month.

Hardest:
Jack Olson - dudes been getting hammers with a good style forever now, eternal Real am.
Micky  Papa - I'm personally not a fan, but the dude is on next level shit and gets mad hate from his own country which must suck.
Forrest Edwards - I know he's on Hook-Ups now but come on, dude deserves a solid sponsor with a pro board
David Reyes - Forever AM
Yonnie Cruz - Cant get a board on Chocolate because they are too busy paying the Legacy team.
Trevor/Trent McClung - Trevor will always be outshined by Trent it seems. Somehow Taylor is pro and Trent isn't.
Scott Decenzo - Always outshined by Ryan, also forever AM curse it seems.

Easiest:
TK - don't get me wrong, dude has had a hard upbringing and what not but its crazy how he's still pro by lip sliding the 6 stair skatepark rails.
CK1 - gonna get hate for this one, but the dude is pretty much invisible and still gets so much hype as if he never disappeared.
Jeron Wilson - I know he's an OG, but damn.
Chris Roberts - Nine club is alright. but how he still has a board for Chocolate is pretty crazy.
Justin Eldridge - Maybe he's been hurt a while but i honestly don't know. This guy is pretty inactive in the skate world it seems.

Im def forgetting alot. these just came to mind quickly.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
Re: Skaters who have it the hardest / easiest
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:42:33 PM »
Strange how some dudes can put so much work into skating, know the right people in the industry, but still don't have it made like some other dudes who maybe film a park clip once a month.

Hardest:

Forrest Edwards - I know he's on Hook-Ups now but come on, dude deserves a solid sponsor with a pro board

Yes, now I'm waiting for this guy to get a shoe sponsor, Emerica? Straye? Supra? State? Anyone?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
Any pro that has a  "real" job  vs all the pros that wake up and do whatever. There used to be starving ams,but a lot of them get taken care of more than some pros with who they ride for.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »
Easiest:

Mikey Taylor: I don't care about DC and Etnies, but what that kid did on Alien is beyond me (SEEK, I know, but come on). Burnout like Hernandez, except he got payed.

Hardest: Heath Kirchart: I'm pretty sure that he made less money than Taylor.

miff

• Rep: -8
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 12:30:01 AM »
Mentioning Corey Kennedy is crazy. He had that Loud pack clip not 2-3 months ago...

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 01:47:19 AM »
Back in the early days. Before some of you were even skated there was a skater called Job. Dude had a hard time cause some higher ups in the business gave him a really hard time. Dont remember why but they just did.  Not sure what happend to him

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 01:51:29 AM »
Gino and PJ have it easy.
Pops seems to have it hard.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:22 AM »
Back in the early days. Before some of you were even skated there was a skater called Job. Dude had a hard time cause some higher ups in the business gave him a really hard time. Dont remember why but they just did.?  Not sure what happend to him

They took his Job!

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 03:23:54 AM »

Gino- "It's so easy." 

It seems like a lot of this shit has to do with who you hang with, who your sponsors are, and if your are deemed, "Cool" within the industry. 

I don't agree at all w/ CK1.  Probably one of the best on the planet.  Jeron and Gino are OG unfuckable with.  Jeron has a lot going on behind the scenes as well.  I know Eldridge had some nagging injuries.  That dude was supposed to be, "The next Koston."  He was so sick coming up. 

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 04:08:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Back in the early days. Before some of you were even skated there was a skater called Job. Dude had a hard time cause some higher ups in the business gave him a really hard time. Dont remember why but they just did.?  Not sure what happend to him
[close]

They took his Job!

Comic Rimshot!

ungzilla

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 04:36:14 AM »
Janoski has it the easiest, that man is chillin

Bachinsky maybe has it the toughest, I'm imagining him in a cave foraging for squirrels and decks and whatnot

shit_for_brains

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »
Justin Eldridge's amazing talent was wasted by his sponsors taking years and years to make videos. He was putting out quality shit for eS but they didn't promote any of their team at all. Ty Evans and Rick/Mike took how long to make Pretty Sweet? Then they didn't even use Eldridge's footage of which he had enough for a full part. They pissed him (and others) away. His injury didn't come until later.

uncle ducky do

• Rep: -110
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 06:25:02 AM »
Seems like Blondey McCoy has been handed a top tier skating career and I've only ever seen him do wallies and impossibles without the style of the dudes who made them cool again in the first place.    Also heard he comes from an extremely wealthy family, not there's anything wrong with that alone.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:26 AM »
^not wanting to direct the thread to 'whos family is rich' but, isnt CK1 well off?

Thats what I always thougt and I vaguley remember a quote along the lines of 'I dont HAVE to skate for money' which kinda made me think about going for nike as your sponsor
if the argument of securing your and your families future is not as urgent.

like, moneywise he could have stayed with lakai and supported them?

w/e

(this is a very superficial train of though ik but it occured to me)

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
Braydon seems to have had it pretty rough, possibly through his own bad choices

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Fuckin Eric fuckin Fletcher fuckin has it the fucking hardest for fuckin sure

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
Braydon seems to have had it pretty rough, possibly through his own bad choices

Dude is full of himself. I don't know why. But he is.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
Justin Eldridge's amazing talent was wasted by his sponsors taking years and years to make videos. He was putting out quality shit for eS but they didn't promote any of their team at all. Ty Evans and Rick/Mike took how long to make Pretty Sweet? Then they didn't even use Eldridge's footage of which he had enough for a full part. They pissed him (and others) away. His injury didn't come until later.

good explanation. maybe he's still getting that cheque because they (crailtap) know they kinda blew it on his pro skating career. also I'm not saying cory kennedy isn't one of the best new age skaters alive, but in comparison to dudes of his caliber (Ishod, Shane, etc.), they are still going as hard as ever and he seems like he just parties and films when he needs to. i know he had a little bit of footage come out earlier this year but looking at how much he comes out with on average its pretty crazy

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
Easiest:

Mikey Taylor: I don't care about DC and Etnies, but what that kid did on Alien is beyond me (SEEK, I know, but come on). Burnout like Hernandez, except he got payed.

He had a long, great part in Mindfield. Just saying...

shit_for_brains

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

good explanation. maybe he's still getting that cheque because they (crailtap) know they kinda blew it on his pro skating career. also I'm not saying cory kennedy isn't one of the best new age skaters alive, but in comparison to dudes of his caliber (Ishod, Shane, etc.), they are still going as hard as ever and he seems like he just parties and films when he needs to. i know he had a little bit of footage come out earlier this year but looking at how much he comes out with on average its pretty crazy

I am also disappointed in CKs output. He's fucking amazing. AMAZING. He's a rare special talent and he seems to have trekked off into the forest to find himself or whatever, and we don't get to see his rare and special talent anymore so it might as well not exist at all.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
easiest, blonde. has a marketable mug/image, not bringing anything terribly inspiring from a skill level.
hardest, bachinsky. has an unmarketable mug -- and rips 10x's harder than blonde.

uncle ducky do

• Rep: -110
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
I honestly downplayed the career blondey mccoy has been handed.  He didn't just get top tier skater, he got the package deal usually reserved for aging legends like the gonz;  socialite, model, artist, skater.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
easiest: PJ Ladd. 3 clips in past 10 years. 0 photos. 0 sequences. maybe 1 demo?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
Easiest- Californians
Toughest- Everyone else

Basing this on park and spot density, weather, and the industry being 90% in Cali

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 01:52:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gino- "It's so easy." 

It seems like a lot of this shit has to do with who you hang with, who your sponsors are, and if your are deemed, "Cool" within the industry. 

I don't agree at all w/ CK1.  Probably one of the best on the planet.  Jeron and Gino are OG unfuckable with.  Jeron has a lot going on behind the scenes as well.  I know Eldridge had some nagging injuries.  That dude was supposed to be, "The next Koston."  He was so sick coming up. 

This. Politics man, it's all politics!

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
Daniel Castillo

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
The one who has it the hardest is poor lil Schmatty
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
As has been mentioned, Bachinski. Don't give a fuck if you like him or not he deserves better.

ManMelt

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »

Hardest:
Jack Olson - dudes been getting hammers with a good style forever now, eternal Real am.
Micky  Papa - I'm personally not a fan, but the dude is on next level shit and gets mad hate from his own country which must suck.
David Reyes - Forever AM
Yonnie Cruz - Cant get a board on Chocolate because they are too busy paying the Legacy team.
Trevor/Trent McClung - Trevor will always be outshined by Trent it seems. Somehow Taylor is pro and Trent isn't.
Scott Decenzo - Always outshined by Ryan, also forever AM curse it seems.

Easiest:
TK - don't get me wrong, dude has had a hard upbringing and what not but its crazy how he's still pro by lip sliding the 6 stair skatepark rails.
CK1 - gonna get hate for this one, but the dude is pretty much invisible and still gets so much hype as if he never disappeared.
Jeron Wilson - I know he's an OG, but damn.
Chris Roberts - Nine club is alright. but how he still has a board for Chocolate is pretty crazy.
Justin Eldridge - Maybe he's been hurt a while but i honestly don't know. This guy is pretty inactive in the skate world it seems.

Definitely agree about TK. You couldn't have put it better, dude has made a career out of basic tricks on tiny rails.
CK1 is hands down one of the most talented dudes on a skateboard. Granted his pile-out schtick is getting old and he doesn't get too much coverage lately, but when he does film, it's top notch. His insane tranny skills came out of nowhere, his loud pack footage was nuts, and the last east coast tour he went on with Johnny Wilson's NYC crew, he absolutely killed it. Switch back tail down that handrail!
Yonnie Cruz does deserve a board and after the new Lakai vid drops he might get one. Crailtap is jam packed with super good ams at the moment.  Manchild, Simon B, and James Capps are all super sick. Plus I'm sure he makes more money skating am for Lakai and Chocolate than a lot of pros do riding for smaller companies.
Jeron needs to gracefully retire. He'll be set for life financially through his Diamond partnership with Nick T. He should just focus on that.
Chris Roberts is the man. I hope Nine Club just gets bigger and bigger and he'll be able to live off that.
Justin Eldridge had a ton of natural talent and seems like a really decent dude, but I think he has to come to terms with his career being over, and move on to the next chapter in life.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
easiest: PJ Ladd. 3 clips in past 10 years. 0 photos. 0 sequences. maybe 1 demo?

He had one sequence in Thrasher when True came out, doing a fakie inward heel fakie manual fakie tre out at Par-A-Lel, that famous manual spot in Barcelona.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.