Author Topic: Suciu Cross Continental vs PJ WHL  (Read 8968 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Suciu Cross Continental vs PJ WHL
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »
noone had the VHS around here but we did burn the downloaded video on CD-R to pass it around... that was our shit for a little while here, we'd set up improvised video screenings, 15 stinking dudes at one dude's house (really whoever had just completed a new tedious 4-day download), looking at the same computer screen, loudly reacting to the clips. and after a while we'd occasionally compile as many videos as we could on a CD-R and spread it. whoever wanted to get the CD-R with the files on it needed to get it from the person who had got it last, provided they didn't lose it or scratch it, odds that of course would exponentially increase with each new person getting involved. 600+ megabytes files were out of the equation, and noone knew how to compress videos, so you often had to deal with shitty quality that didn't feel as shitty back then, but would confuse the hell out of non-skateboarders as to how one could even watch one minute of this crap.

i remember at some point one of us found out about some complicated way of linking his computer, VCR and TV together so he could record the videos on actual tapes. he was so hyped on that, and so we were, until his method turned out to render the videos in black and white with no sound. but we'd still watch those.

WHL was one of those videos and i think the last big release to ever endure such local treatment from us might have been this is skateboarding. the black label videos probably got the most abuse out of them all. no way to ever talk shit on youtube and instagram now after growing up surrounded by such convenience

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2017, 06:44:16 AM »
Thread's fading out... time for my unpopular opinion: After rewatching both I like the Suciu part better. Of course WHL had a much bigger impact when it came out, there's no contest there. But in terms of the parts themselves, I feel like PJ's is the first effort of an admittedly uniquely talented wunderkind, while Cross Continental is like the carefully calibrated opus magnum of a slightly lesser genius in his prime. At the moment I find myself preferring the latter.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »
pj... there's a reason that fool doesn't have to skate to maintain sponsors

suciu's part feels like a really good tribute

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2017, 09:16:37 AM »
I think it would be more appropriate to compare Sanchez's part in Tim and Henry's Pack of Lies to PJ's part. Filled with NBD's mostly from the same areas (Cali for Sanch and Boston and the South for PJ). They both skated certain spots a good amount, PJ with the window marble ledges and that one plaza wiht the ledges while Sanchez was at EMB. They were completely unheard of previous to the video release. I know lots of people reference Sanchez as being an absolute gamechanger back in the day.

I love that Suciu part though, his spot selection and trick selection are completely on point. He had the best line at the SF library since Carroll. He did some NBD's but like they pointed out on the bunt he literally did not tic tac once which is pretty cool. I'd compare his part more to something like Dill's in Photosynthesis as far as impact.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
pjwhl.

best part ever.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
I think it would be more appropriate to compare Sanchez's part in Tim and Henry's Pack of Lies to PJ's part. Filled with NBD's mostly from the same areas (Cali for Sanch and Boston and the South for PJ). They both skated certain spots a good amount, PJ with the window marble ledges and that one plaza wiht the ledges while Sanchez was at EMB. They were completely unheard of previous to the video release. I know lots of people reference Sanchez as being an absolute gamechanger back in the day.

I love that Suciu part though, his spot selection and trick selection are completely on point. He had the best line at the SF library since Carroll. He did some NBD's but like they pointed out on the bunt he literally did not tic tac once which is pretty cool. I'd compare his part more to something like Dill's in Photosynthesis as far as impact.

on point analysis
hardly art, hardly starving

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
on point analysis

Was Henry a quiet skate rat? That amassed mad footage outside the skateboard focal point. did socrates film a lot of tim & henry?
thought he was kind of center stage. agreed everyone knew how far he progressed like he skipped a gear.

CC Suciu comparison in impact/approach/skill to Dill photo is wild abstract.

Photo Dill, was 40% progressive skill based (pushing the envelope), and 60% personality; "art"; period significance and approach; and his last, ender part. he was just "dill". to further that, that whole mystique was WAY blown out of proportion. interacting with Dill for years downtown you could tell the media had blown his persona out of proportion. his day in the life in his soho loft on 411, first stop...STARBUCKS. really digging into new york there. he also COMPLETELY kooked himself on the osbornes.

whereas suciu was on the come up, no real personality established, very little art aside from that fart rocking chair 8MM. I'm missing that analogy.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

on point analysis

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
on point analysis
[close]

Was Henry a quiet skate rat? That amassed mad footage outside the skateboard focal point. did socrates film a lot of tim & henry?
thought he was kind of center stage. agreed everyone knew how far he progressed like he skipped a gear.

CC Suciu comparison in impact/approach/skill to Dill photo is wild abstract.

Photo Dill, was 40% progressive skill based (pushing the envelope), and 60% personality; "art"; period significance and approach; and his last, ender part. he was just "dill". to further that, that whole mystique was WAY blown out of proportion. interacting with Dill for years downtown you could tell the media had blown his persona out of proportion. his day in the life in his soho loft on 411, first stop...STARBUCKS. really digging into new york there. he also COMPLETELY kooked himself on the osbornes.

whereas suciu was on the come up, no real personality established, very little art aside from that fart rocking chair 8MM. I'm missing that analogy.

I'm pretty sure doomstation55 is comparing the impact of the parts. Not the personality or popularity of the skater at the time. People were tripping out over that Henry's part. The style of skateboarding had changed so much within those years 91-93, most people had no idea what was going down until videos were released. It was definitely a game changer and in the conversation with PJ's WHL impact.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2017, 04:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
P-rod street cinema is most influential than PJ WHL.
[close]

lol

question is, do you prefer the VHS part or the DVD recut version of WHL? - slight variations in there

I wanted to bring this up in my first post here. The first time I watched the video was on vcr and watched it from there for at least 4 months until someone gave me a digital copy. Definitely preferred the vcr version over the digital but not based solely on the edit/tricks aspect.
Same story as with the Modus Operandi digital copy, the flow of the video was not the same and some stuff did not radiate the same magic as their vcr rivals. The MC line especially, I remember thinking "had I watched this on the computer first, I wouldn't have appreciated it as much". As for the edit and tricks, I strongly believe that my preference for the vcr version stems from me being overly accustomed to that, the same that happens with music when people tend to prefer the one version they got introduced to a song with.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »
I'm not breaking any new ground here when I say, while they are both great, PJ edges it out. It's the little things in that part that put it ahead, such as the fact PJ tailslides a bumper to get up a curb during a line.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
PJ cos who wants to watch a cali kid pretend to be from the east coast.

Suciu is amazing, don't get me wrong, but the whole time i was watching that it was like "damn this kid must hate being from the bay area" 
where is home?

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »
PJ

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
PJ cos who wants to watch a cali kid pretend to be from the east coast.

Suciu is amazing, don't get me wrong, but the whole time i was watching that it was like "damn this kid must hate being from the bay area" 

in what way was he pretending to be from the east coast?

how many east coasters have made their mark out west, is it not a two way street?

i bet when rieder would stay in NYC for periods he HATED being from SoCal.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
Well, PJ. It's already been mentioned but part of the reason why PJ's part is so groundbreaking is b/c at the time, his type of skating wasn't the focus. Kids were stuck on handrails and going big. It was a paradigm shift that everyone not only accepted but were amazed by. There was a write-up in Thrasher saying something along the lines of "Whoever thought that in this day and age of hammers we'd be so mesmerised by a kid skating down the street flipping his board?"

And then he did tricks no one had seen, dorked around, skated big shit as well, had a good song, skated fast...it was the whole package.

He had beef with Zered back then, I don't know why. I hope they squashed it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:16:14 PM by Adam Abbas »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 02:37:24 PM »
I'm going to explain to all the younger posters here why this question is dumb. If you started paying attention to videos after both were released, it might seem like they are comparable, but they aren't.
Suciu was a California kid sponsored by a major company who had a budget/opportunity to skate and film all over the country for a part that was released by Thrasher magazine. While the part is amazing, there was no shock to the idea that a California kid, sponsored by Habitat, who had already released parts with them, and was having his part released on thrasher would be good. It made sense, even if it was better than most.
PJ Ladd had a couple clips here and there in 411s and stuff, but was still virtually an unknown at the time. His part was in a shop video released from a random shop in boston most people hadn't heard of, and unless your shop was called FTC, shop videos weren't really a thing at all at that time. It wasn't supposed to be a video part that every skateboarder saw. Despite not having any advantages or expectations before its release, it was an overnight sensation. This random kid, skating random local spots, for a random video somehow released a part that was better than any part released during a time when companies were flying all over the world with some of the biggest budgets ever to make major skate productions. The part had amazing skating, but it wasn't just about the skating, it was about the way PJ exploded with that one low release part
 The thing is, by the time Suciu was filming cross continental, with who he was filming with,and for who he was filming the part for, it didn't matter how good of a skater he was, he simply wasn't in the kind of position to explode out of nowhere like that. I know this seems weird because they skate much differently, but if I was going to compare WHL to any part in terms of impact, I'd compare it to Trainwreck in In Bloom or Scott Kane in the bootleg video. Coming out of nowhere, nobody knew who they were, and without any build up, were amongst the best at what they did. Still, PJ's part was more epic. I know it sounds classically "bitter old dude" but you kinda had to be there to understand why the impact around that part.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »
^Trainwreck had already had a 411 part when In Bloom came out. At the time, that made you instantly 'well known'.

Other than that, you hit the nail on the head.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »
Did he? Somehow I don't remember it. but yeah, a 411 part was as legit or more legit than a team video
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Yeah, always loved his 411 part. We might as well all give it a watch! Edited fast and just an overload of stuff that was really gnarly at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-r44t8uh1A
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:25:08 PM by happenstance »