Author Topic: Kickflip help  (Read 14026 times)

Spicy boi.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Kickflip help
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:50:38 PM »
I know, this thread has probably popped up a million times,but i donkey kick the ever living fuck outta my kickflips and it makes me wanna die, some have even described my kickflip as a "not late late flip".

Save me friends.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Kickflip help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:50:32 PM »
what's donkey kicking a kickflip? don't donkeys kick backwards with their back legs? are you kicking backwards? from your friend's description, it sounds like maybe your flick is happening too late, like when you're descending already? try kicking a little earlier and more forward off the nose of your board, like a karate kick.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »
just give up and learn heelflips.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
you have to think of it like you're just doing a ollie then - and only then - once you level it out, extend your leg in front of you - don't think of flicking off the side or at least, don't focus on that too much. ollie first then add the motion at the peak. have more of your foot on the board than what you might be thinking you should. keep your shoulders somewhat parallel to the board but have an open stance and stick to it throughout the trick, your upper body doesn't have to move. pop with the toes of your back foot in the dead center of the tip of the tail, angled slightly inwards - might sound like a mere detail but my kickflips suddenly got a lot better after i recently randomly figured that out (and that's after doing kickflips for 15+ years). last but not least just keep trying them a lot. best of luck

Spicy boi.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:54:22 PM »
Haha, that sure as fuck didn't work,i can do 1/60,super rocketed.

Spicy boi.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
you have to think of it like you're just doing a ollie then - and only then - once you level it out, extend your leg in front of you - don't think of flicking off the side or at least, don't focus on that too much. ollie first then add the motion at the peak. have more of your foot on the board than what you might be thinking you should. keep your shoulders somewhat parallel to the board but have an open stance and stick to it throughout the trick, your upper body doesn't have to move. pop with the toes of your back foot in the dead center of the tip of the tail, angled slightly inwards - might sound like a mere detail but my kickflips suddenly got a lot better after i recently randomly figured that out (and that's after doing kickflips for 15+ years). last but not least just keep trying them a lot. best of luck
Thanks man,i'll be sure to give it a try

shit_for_brains

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 04:24:49 AM »
I stopped flicking off the side and go straight off the nose now, like an ollie north with a pointed toe, and my kickflips have gotten at least 70% better so far.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Haha, that sure as fuck didn't work,i can do 1/60,super rocketed.

we can probably offer up more help if you post a video of you doing a kickflip.

more than anything, its just going to take practice. everyone does the trick different, so you just have to figure out what works for you. jeremy wray has an amazing kickflip, but i dont think i could ever land one if i set my feet up like his.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
I stopped flicking off the side and go straight off the nose now, like an ollie north with a pointed toe, and my kickflips have gotten at least 70% better so far.

I recently made this change with heelflips and I've noticed some good results.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:38 AM »

personally forced myself to relearn kickflips that way back in 2004 or so, because of an interview i had just read of some classic french skater (nicolas eustache) who was notorious for his pop on ollies and kickflips at the time. one of the questions was about his kickflip technique and he replied recommending just that one (ollie first then flick off, almost beyond, the nose), firmly stating that it logically enabled one to kickflip as high as they could ollie already. i had mobbed chicken foot kickflips back then and the dude was kickflipping over a massive working fountain (complete with a central piece in the basin) just on the next page, so of course i tried and took his advice. weeks of experimentation with different foot positioning and alternative ways to flick should then ensue, but you'll get the hang of it

MadPanda

• Rep: -5
  • "Don't give up on your dream. Keep sleeping."
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
I know, this thread has probably popped up a million times,but i donkey kick the ever living fuck outta my kickflips and it makes me wanna die, some have even described my kickflip as a "not late late flip".

Save me friends.

The best way to learn is to stop the way you are currently doing it. Since you can't land it, look at your feet when you do it. Keep in mind that chicken footing leads to you doing a foot plant or a quick land since you are slamming your foot down instead of flicking it and putting it back on the board. That is all a kickflip is. Flicking and putting it back on the board.

Sounds simple but it is complicated because many don't flick it consistently. Repetition can be your best friend or your worst enemy. When doing a kickflip, be calm and don't lash out in frustration because it will only make you lose your focus and then your attempts will get worse until you eventually give up and call it a day. Don't repeat that. Take it from me since it took me 5 years to land this trick.

What really helps in landing is wailing your arms by copying the flick of your foot. When you flick your foot, wail you arm to that direction and hold it until you see the griptape then land. Keep practicing and remember to use your arms as guidance. I realized that everytime I kickflip, I don't land the trick sometimes because I am either foot planting or I am not wailing my arms as a way to guide my foot when flicking. Another helpful way is to look at your board and practice flicking your foot on the board when sitting down. It can really help your form and posture when doing kickflips.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 10:40:14 PM »
One time I was really annoyed with my arms how they were flying around....I stuck my hands in my pockets and I couldn't miss them......then I fell.....

onámi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
been skating since summer 16 maybe not regularly but i still can't stick an ollie, it would be disrespectful to call it a simple ollie, you're farther than most keep trying you'll get it