Author Topic: Do you still buy hardgoods from local shops?  (Read 9380 times)

VCR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
Re: Do you still buy hardgoods from local shops?
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
yep

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote
My shop back home is ran by a former addict who's a complete fucking asshole but yes I still support it because at the end of the day it's still the only shop that isn't zumiez in my hometown. I know that's strange logic considering I'm supporting a prick, but I'm still supporting skateboarding and the accounts associated.

As for my local shop at the moment, Cowtown, they can take all my money because they're the epitome of what a skate shop should be.
[close]
the grinch? i remember he had a shop in flagstaff and he'd just spook customers off left and right. think he told someone 'if you buy that board i'll push you out the way and focus it!'
board in question was warped but still.....
i paid $69 for a deck yesterday, i might be ready to make the jump into buying online.
i try to have morals but all our shoes are basically made by slaves, see also computers, chocolate and shellfish.
everything's a piece of shit, i wish i grew my own decks.

Fuck that's steep. What state do you live in? I don't think I've paid more than $55 with grip from my local.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

shark tits

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
massachusetts. i don't think i'd ever gone over $55 eithe. not there or the 7 or so places around the country i've gotten boards at. maybe business is so bad they have to strangle extra out of whoever still comes in, forcing them out?

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
Every once in a while I'll order a pair of shoes online, but everything else is always from a local shop. The Detroit area is pretty fortunate to have a few great ones. Got to keep them going!

refuge was so nice last time i was up there. didn't stop by premier or plus but i probably should have. ill buy stuff locally here in cincy, shops can get decks in from distributors in a day so I can be rolling pretty quickly if they don't have it in stock.

SIMPLY

• Rep: 32
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
i just got a couple 917 decks for $30 each from some fashion boutique's website

otherwise I'm spending 100% of my money at dlx or 510

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
The two shops in my area only have the bigger brands like girl/choc and DLX so if I want something a bit more obscure like quasi or theories i'll have to go online. The thing that really bugs me is that both shops only have nike and adidas.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2017, 05:42:41 PM »
Decks only. Ride trucks forever and can't even remember but most likely online. Mark up on everything else in Australia is ridiculous.
Same fibre folklore boards in 8.5 from local every time for the last couple of years, besides that maybe bearings here and there, wheels at a push. Shoes and trucks etc. online almost always.
Don't go through much gear because don't get to skate enough and feel free (even if misguided) from guilt because I skate a domestic brand

when i was in australia my friend was telling me they'd all order shit from skatewearhouse cause it was so much cheaper even with the shipping costs.

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2017, 06:01:23 PM »
when i was in australia my friend was telling me they'd all order shit from skatewearhouse cause it was so much cheaper even with the shipping costs.

Yeah, if you time it right with the exchange rate and possibly a sale code you end up saving a crazy amount

Black Friday last year i bought 6 boards from CCS that were already on sale, took another whatever percentage off so each board was $35 us with shipping about $100 for it all. Did the math and had i bought those same boards from a local shop/s it would've cost $300+ more. Board prices here are really inconsistent too, i've seen the same board for $105 cheapest to $119.95 expensive and amounts in between

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
Yes, but not the original shop I grew up going. As much as this truly hurts me, they too do not have anything of interest to me on that board wall. I relocated recently and the shop that is in the immediate area is the total opposite and has a ton of boards I would buy (just bought a Johan WKND board from them), along with a very solid shoe selection.

Like I said, its painful that I cannot support my local shop that I started going to as a kiddo, but they seem to only carry stuff that I really could not care about.

billyerlife

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have many excellent shops around, 35th North, Unknown, and Black Market to name a few, and between them I am able to shop nearly exclusively at skateboarder owned skateshops. Occasionally, such as when FourStar had a sweet duffel bag for sale for $12, or to get a pair of Drunks, I partake of the online world, but not if I can help it. I'm old enough to remember when it was the only option, and I still believe they are an integral part of the skateboarding world, but again, I can buy State Shoes in my size at the shop near me, if I couldn't? I might be singing a different tune, I'd hope not though, I love skateshops!

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have many excellent shops around, 35th North, Unknown, and Black Market to name a few, and between them I am able to shop nearly exclusively at skateboarder owned skateshops. Occasionally, such as when FourStar had a sweet duffel bag for sale for $12, or to get a pair of Drunks, I partake of the online world, but not if I can help it. I'm old enough to remember when it was the only option, and I still believe they are an integral part of the skateboarding world, but again, I can buy State Shoes in my size at the shop near me, if I couldn't? I might be singing a different tune, I'd hope not though, I love skateshops!
I'm jealous as fuck of Seattle's skate shops and scene. Fucking Eastern Washington man.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
Even at 27 years old, I still get excited every time I walk into a skateshop. Online shop can't offer you the human interaction and it's always better to look at a product in person before buying it. Matter of fact, I always stop by the local shop when I'm visiting a new city to get a shop tee or a board from a local brand.

super-basic

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
My shop owner voted for Trump, so no.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
I always stop by the local shop when I'm visiting a new city to get a shop tee.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
Nothing but a Zumiez near me now, but when I visit home I am lucky enough to live a block away from a skate shop. One time I asked, naive as I was, if my it was time to switch up my trucks that were just hitting mid axle. He told me to keep going and not swap out my truck setup.
He wasn't trying close a sale. It was an altruistic approach to keep a broke skater ripping past axel's. I loved that honesty and now I try and spend as much money as I can whenever I am in town. bless
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:42:19 PM by ihatejulio »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
Don't skate as much as I used to, but if I'm going to pick up a new set-up I'm going to support Blue Tile. Those dudes really represent the city well.

Can't fault people though who have limited choice. Not like all of us can live in big cities where there is a store worth your support.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2017, 01:30:59 AM »
It depends.. good skateboards here can be up to 70euros, and I sometimes pay 55 shipped for the same exact thing so I get it online.
At a shop with 55euros I'd get jart wood and I'm not really into that. I do it because I'm broke though, the shops always have something cool.
For bearings, wheels, trucks etc.. I buy them at the shop since it's generally less frequent and/or price gap is more reasonable.
When I travel abroad I really love to get hardgoods from local shops since they have all those gems you see on your instagram feed everyday.. even if I always get vibed at slamcity central.

OT

Kinda off topic but unless it's shop/local brand I stopped buying streetwear since a tee is generally 40eu and the quality is rarely up there.
One fun thing is I used to go to this shop and me and the owner know each other well.. I'd go in (always broke) and ask what shoe can I get with 50euro? doesn't need to be last drop, just low profile thin shoes. He'd go on and show me a bunch of adidas nikes new arrivals and I was: hell yeah these are sick..they're also 80+ dude, I only have 50. Then after a while some old cheap shoe would pop out, but why not showing me them from the start? It's always fun when it happens.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:27 AM »
Did people read this interview with the Humidity skate shop owner? He speaks his mind about this subject a bit.

http://www.realskateboards.com/actions-realized-united-we-stand-with-humiditys-phillip-santosuosso/

Seems like most people on here do their best to support the shops.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
Yes. Portland has really nice shops. The only thing I've ordered since I moved here in 2003 was a deck for my wife and that's becuase it was a few seasons old and no shops carried it.

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2017, 04:10:49 PM »
These days I'm going to the shop. Too impatient to wait for shipping when I could be skating. Plus I love my shop's shitty product and getting vibed out by dudes who are destined to be perma-flow and are too smoked out to know how to use a cash register.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
Did people read this interview with the Humidity skate shop owner? He speaks his mind about this subject a bit.

http://www.realskateboards.com/actions-realized-united-we-stand-with-humiditys-phillip-santosuosso/

Seems like most people on here do their best to support the shops.

Guy sounds real salty, don't blame him though. People have such polarized opinions about the state of skating today.. some people say it's better than ever and we should appreciate the times we live in, and guys like this just flat out "hate everything about skating".

Seems like industry peeps (or anyone trying to make a living through skating) are more likely to lean to the "hate everything" side, whereas average joe push-an-pop appreciates modern skate life (better gear, more media, inclusivity, etc).

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
No, unfortunately in Barcelona shops have a very limited variety and never carry decks or trucks bigger than 8,5. Also they never have any interest to find the product that they don't have in stock.

I remember once that the guy asked me to wait two months for the next shipment, and I was like... What I'm supposed to do there next two months without a deck... Nowadays that shops are struggling I think that they should give some personal attention, is easy as calling the distribution...

uncle ducky do

• Rep: -110
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »

kill yourself

Pigeon

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kill yourself
go fuck yourself

I just don't eat/drink out as much as I used to, and my beer gut is shrinking. DLX is the place to go.