Author Topic: Did anyone play Thrasher Skate and Destroy?  (Read 21738 times)

MadPanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
  • "Don't give up on your dream. Keep sleeping."
Did anyone play Thrasher Skate and Destroy?
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:43:49 PM »
Best skateboarding game ever in my opinion. It put the THPS and Skate games to shame because the physics and controls were done so well for a skateboarding simulator.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Did anyone play Thrasher Skate and Destroy?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:17:31 PM »
Best skateboarding game ever in my opinion. It put the THPS and Skate games to shame because the physics and controls were done so well for a skateboarding simulator.

The Skate series, too? I think that's a bit too much, but I get where you're coming from. The game was definitely more realistic, and quite fun, too, but no THPS -- which, back in the day, was a tall order. The soundtrack was almost educational, so many classics. Skate and Destroy was underrated as fuck, and a personal favorite from the Playstation library. The sponsors are amusing, though, having THE 18!!!!!! and Converse and Supreme wouldn't be out of place in a trendy videogame today.

MadPanda

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »

The Skate series, too? I think that's a bit too much, but I get where you're coming from. The game was definitely more realistic, and quite fun, too, but no THPS -- which, back in the day, was a tall order. The soundtrack was almost educational, so many classics. Skate and Destroy was underrated as fuck, and a personal favorite from the Playstation library. The sponsors are amusing, though, having THE 18!!!!!! and Converse and Supreme wouldn't be out of place in a trendy videogame today.
[/quote]

The soundtrack is absolutely perfect. Just about every song is a worthy listen. The reason I prefer it over the Skate games was because the levels are much more skateable and the gameplay is better for me due to the excellent control scheme. Also, you never push mongo 😝.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:05:30 AM »
remember nerding out on it as a grom, loved that game. it was challenging to play just like skateboarding felt challenging to me at the time, i remember liking the idea of a skate game that just wasn't all about getting to the general public.

i also remember really liking grind session which featured templeton, cardiel, daewon... and was a good compromise of sorts between the thrasher game and the first tony hawk games ; in terms of gameplay, both felt rather arcade-oriented and as you guys put it, their soundtrack comprised classics.

stopped paying attention to video games in general soon after thps 2 (i remember giving thps 3 a try when it came out and not really feeling it, so i moved on)

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:07 AM »
I still play skate and destroy to this day, saying it has an excellent control scheme is pushing it. It's no where near intuitive as the Skate series. That said, it's an amazing game that I love to play randomly on my laptop. Expert mode is my favorite, makes flip tricks out of grinds so much more difficult.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:04:52 AM »
Was some weird things with this game.

Should have been much more items, skaters and maps. And the EU version of the game was somehow different. You could not flip into tricks if I remember correctly. So on the USA version you could do kickflip bs tails. But not on the EU version...

Was good music and graphics though

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
Been years since Ive played it, but def remember it being really hard and a bit frustrating.  Kinda like playing a flight simulator where its impossible to land the damn plane...

i also remember really liking grind session which featured templeton, cardiel, daewon... and was a good compromise of sorts between the thrasher game and the first tony hawk games ; in terms of gameplay, both felt rather arcade-oriented and as you guys put it, their soundtrack comprised classics.

Grind Session was my fav.  Just to be Cardiel was the highlight of paying video games for me.

unprovoked chaturbate harassment

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
Yeh in the top 3 skate games for me.

I remember that Andy McDonalds game too, and I think there was some shit like MTV skateboarding?

Beer and Peanuts

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »
^^^^

The Andy Mac game and the MTV game were one and the same. I remember seeing it in the shop and asking for it for Christmas that year. I was so fucking bummed when I played it. One of the worst skating games of all time.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:25 PM »
Roach is my go to, Love the courthouse and Das Kolosseum.
Anyone ever made the ollie down the big ass double set in the middle hallway of the south bank level?
Also the way back 3's look is spot on.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »
IM THE KING OF ROCK!

That game introduced me to skating and hip hop. I had a psx with bad memory card slot so I had to leave the system running while I skated around the world and finally got to do an impossible in the sick spider bowl.

Brooklyn Banks level was my favorite

MadPanda

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:29 AM »
IM THE KING OF ROCK!

That game introduced me to skating and hip hop. I had a psx with bad memory card slot so I had to leave the system running while I skated around the world and finally got to do an impossible in the sick spider bowl.

Brooklyn Banks level was my favorite

I am one of the few that liked the LA River level. I love clearing that one gap especially with big flips.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »
LA River was pretty sparce but had some great gaps and of course the massive 40+ stair rails

Also the ice cream truck if you bailed into it would start playing music

I downloaded a psx emulator and a bunch of skate games spring of last year and played through it all again, it was pretty difficult to get back the feel of the controls, but once i was locked in the game is pretty fluid

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 06:57:25 PM »
Anyone ever made the ollie down the big ass double set in the middle hallway of the south bank level?

I think maybe you do understand but god some people will never understand the struggle of attempting that double set. I don't know how much time I've put into attempting that but I'm curious if it's been done. I would always play as scab and try it. I eventually tried getting to wallride down the second half but I never could land that either.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
I might have a playthrough of this game tonight.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think maybe you do understand but god some people will never understand the struggle of attempting that double set. I don't know how much time I've put into attempting that but I'm curious if it's been done. I would always play as scab and try it. I eventually tried getting to wallride down the second half but I never could land that either.
I have done it once but Im sure it was a fluke, if i remember correctly you have to start from the top of the bank above it and push and carve around to it. I believe it was a Front 3 that I landed because it gives you the most pop or something, it was so long ago when i did it. And Yes Scab was the go to for all of the big drops.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
Yeah Thrasher S&D was kinda rough, but great.
I do think it was a spiritual predecessor to the Skate games in some ways.
The cop chasing you around at the end of your run was a nice touch.

Not to distract from the thread, but does anyone remember that awful series of skateboarding games that Konami was putting out in the early 2000s?

I bought one of them, "Evolution Skateboarding", partially because Solid Snake was a secret character in it, but the game was a fucking mess.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S47VRjcX-A

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Sup homeys

I just found this game while helping a friend move and loaded it up. Insane how it still holds up over 15 years later. Working on a video part, will post here when I'm done. After that, gonna load up Skate 3 again, has been a long ass time since i touched that shit even.

BTW i have found a way to do the double set in South Bank , even in expert mode. so far can do it with Scab and Axl, will test on other characters.

I have found lots of weird things about this game that i dont think ireally picked up on when i played back in the day ;

-360 flips seem to be one of the easiest "flip" tricks to do. it takes hardly and time to wind up, and it has a ton of pop. regular kickflips and heelflips and even most shoveits seem to take way longer and require way more pop. oddly, 360 shoveit is also incredibly fast and easy to use

-you cant do anything BS, or Fakie/Nollie out of a grind.  this really limits what you can do with the game unfortunately

-cant flip out of a nosemanual , well you can actually and it looks fine but it doesnt count in the scoring system.

-certain ledges are bugged (there is one near the Muska ledge in veince beach) where every time you grind it it grinds you the wrong way (so you do a bs smith but then it actually registers as fs feeble and makes you grind the other way weirdly)
ONTARIO CANADA

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
underrated game, very good soundtrack, although i found it odd that in a thrasher game they would only have classic rap tracks. in the manual there was even this weird babbeling about how rap and skateboarding are both elements of hip hop or some corny shit like that. i mean they could have done a best of skaterock soundtrack, makes me think if the music supervisor was connected to thrasher at all.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
BTW i have found a way to do the double set in South Bank , even in expert mode. so far can do it with Scab and Axl, will test on other characters.

I figured out how to do that double set back in the day. You gotta charge from super far away pushing hard down some hill, if memory serves me right. I seem to remember it was easier doing 180 tricks like FS flips rather than straight tricks. Or maybe I mastered it so hard that I could do anything down it? Dunno, it's been ages. But it's def doable on any difficulty!

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
Yo dudes, I wrote an article for jenkem last year that was really kind of supposed to be a love letter to this game but alot of the writing got cut down unfortunately. I'm a huge fan, definitely massively underrated. I like skating the Washington square level, there's lots of sick lines in there. I never really could get the flow of the sf hills though, most airs were too big to land and the turns made flow kinda shoddy. I reviewed most all other games for ps1 and 2 tho, check the article if you haven't already you might get a laugh. I still think the actual draft I sent in was better tho

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/05/12/tried-review-every-skateboarding-game-playstation/
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »
Grind Session! Now that's something I haven't thought about in 18 years.

I had the Thrasher demo, but never got to play the actual game. Feel like I missed out. I ended up being a THPS slave through THUG and then the Skate series when it came out.

bucketoftruth

• Rep: 12
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
^^^^

The Andy Mac game and the MTV game were one and the same. I remember seeing it in the shop and asking for it for Christmas that year. I was so fucking bummed when I played it. One of the worst skating games of all time.

One of these had the guy do frontside flips like Rick McCrank and that's all I did for hours. I think it was the MTV one.

Skate and Destroy had the best representation of the skateboarding beginner skill curve. It was terrible until you werent.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 05:49:54 PM »
I download the play 1 emulator to play Thrasher skate and Destroy