Author Topic: Manhattan: a guide for dummies.  (Read 8668 times)

Frosty178

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Manhattan: a guide for dummies.
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:56:23 PM »
So having been to LA and Vegas earlier this year, I've just booked a short stay in Manhattan early next year.

Any do's and dont's? Must see? Avoid like the plague?

I'm coming from the UK.

Cheers Slap,
Frosty.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:11:05 PM by Frosty178 »

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
Re: Manhattan: a guide for dummies.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
I think walking around without a map, and not knowing where you are exactly is one of the best things in manhattan. If you're there for a short period of time, I would probably just make a list of what you want to see and then do that. Get a week unlimited train card which is 31 dollars, instead of paying per ride. You can maximize your time the most that way. Skating or not, washington square park is my favorite park, any season of the year, to really feel what it's like to be in New York. I'm a big fan of Zabars, which is an old school market that has an adjoining cafe next door and also has that new york feel. The walk or skate in between the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge along the water is very scenic and great most times of day or season. If you're skating any where in the city that is crowded, it's obviously gonna be much more of a challenge because people sit down on spots everywhere, foot traffic is everywhere, and you have to keep that in mind. So night skating frees that up a little bit. Labor skate shop obviously has been a destination now for a few years, and is great to pop in, and everyone there will be pretty helpful with any skate related questions.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »

Frosty178

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:41:01 PM »
Quartersnacks is a great place to start. Definitely check out Labor Skateshop on the Lower East side and just skate around the city. I guarantee if you skate around Midtown, LES, the Financial District, Soho, etc, you'll see a ton of spots that you recognize. Just watch out for security. Also, there's a great plaza with some perfect marble benches on 30th St between 6th and 7th Avenue that you should definitely check out.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »
I think walking around without a map, and not knowing where you are exactly is one of the best things in manhattan.

Certainly make a list and try to knock some specific stuff out, but also leave time for that ^. You will not go wrong just skating around.

Frosty178

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:34:34 PM »
Some great stuff being laid out here, thanks guys.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »
Use google maps, type in your destination, set it for using "public transit" and it will tell you what subway terminal, which train and how much time you have till it leaves. It worked great for my fiancé an I when we stayed in Manhattan. Within a few days, we felt like Kings of the subway.

Important note: Your cellular will not work once you are in the subway. Download a NYC Subway map app so you can view while underground
ableSkateMag.com

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
What part of Manhattan are you staying in?  You can definitely push around anywhere on the island and find spots but some neighborhoods are better starting points than others.  Parts of Manhattan are mildly sketchy still, specifically above 120th street, but as a whole you can let yourself get lost cruising between spots without concern.

Public transit on Google maps is great; I've lived in Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan for a few years and still use it pretty frequently if I have to go to a neighborhood / use a train that I don't usually use.  And yes, 95% of the below ground stations don't have internet so you'll have to load it up before you go in the station.  If you go to Williamsburg, bomb the bridge back over to Manhattan.  It's fun.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »
Common courtesy is not a thing in NYC so keep that in mind. I had some dudes get pissy over stopping a flying board at Coleman park in les. But other than that the island is fun to cruise around.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Duncan Macnaughton

• Rep: -55
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »
Check out my app for NYC spots.  It will be helpful for sure and you can download it offline if you don't have data on your phone.  Here is the link.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/skate-savant/id983252660?mt=8

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
Just go to lower Manhattan and cruise. Too bad the banks is gone/f'd up. Eat pizza and tell chicks they have nice eyebrows.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:43 PM »
Finger everyone you can.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 03:07:46 AM »
You's a corny kinda dummy, you probably on the west side playing games of rummy.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
So having been to LA and Vegas earlier this year, I've just booked a short stay in Manhattan early next year.

Any do's and dont's? Must see? Avoid like the plague?

I'm coming from the UK.

Cheers Slap,
Frosty.

might encounter some miserable weather skatewise visiting anytime before April.

it doesn't make any sense visiting just manhattan. it's like going to city of london and Westminster/the west end and ignoring the east end. if you're young and want to immerse yourself in all NYC has to offer you're going to want to check brooklyn out as well, which is mainly closer than most of uptown manhattan.

i would go to labor and then skate down to the bridges and cruise starting north of the manhattan bridge down to fulton street and then wander around the financial district/battery park and work your way back up through tribeca/SoHo and you'll find plenty of spots/classic NY scenery. quartersnacks spot list is essential.

recommended bars:
near labor/LES

beverly's
forget me not. definitely.
kiki's for dinner
169 bar
the fish after 10 or 11 can feel empty before then.
epsteins, food is cheap AF.

http://goataco.com/
Friend dumpling on Mosco street right near columbus park (familiar spots). Blubba and courthouse are down worth.
super taste spicy beef noodle on eldridge

west village is energetic and aesthetically pleasing but has become too posh unless you're going to a jazz club or want to spend a little more change on a nice dinner. still worth wandering around wash square at night and checking out the side streets west of 7th ave between houston and 14th street. meat packing district can fuck off but the highline and the whitney are worth peeping for sure.

you'll want to skate around midtown, if you end up staying in a hotel there spots open up after 10PM. grand central oyster bar for a classic old ny experience. you can take the 7 one stop to vernon jackson one stop and check out the park on the river, bunch of spots and also red ledges on 48th ave in LIC queens.

110th and lennox ledges, upper central park is dope.

gallery hopping in west chelsea thurs night, free wine and will see some legit females and extraordinarily overpriced artwork, some good stuff.

williamsburg greenpoint and bushwick are still definitely worth checking out, all the bars around bedford and manhattan ave are pretty legit.

bars
commadore
union pool (slightly watered down but still peeping if you're single)
bars on grand street. snacky for dinner.
the levee
enids
matchless
kcdc

shays lounge has become kind of a skate bar on franklin in greenpoint. east river skate shop is chill on greenpoint ave and you can check out the skyline at the park at the end of greenpoint.

someone else can chime in about bushwick i'm a bit too old for that shit now.

for sightseeing in brooklyn def want to check out the dumbo/BK heights prominade to get a sense of the layers of the city.

i'm down to show you around, moving to LA in a year. DM me.

BAZOOKA7

• Rep: -5
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
since this topic is on manhattan, can someone help me out and tell me where this spot is? gold rail spot at 2:23

Frosty178

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 03:39:39 AM »
Man, I forgot about this thread! Christmas and University applications have swept my mind clean of everything else.

Dirty, that was a mega list dude, cheers!
My girl is coming with me so skating would have been minimal. Can't do any now, injured myself at work. Big fail on my part.
This wont be the only time I visit though, so in warmer seasons I'll cruise around.

Anyway, NYC, see you tomorrow. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
Man, I forgot about this thread! Christmas and University applications have swept my mind clean of everything else.

Dirty, that was a mega list dude, cheers!
My girl is coming with me so skating would have been minimal. Can't do any now, injured myself at work. Big fail on my part.
This wont be the only time I visit though, so in warmer seasons I'll cruise around.

Anyway, NYC, see you tomorrow. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

bundle up guy! be mindful of the wind layer up and you'll be fine with a few beers in the system.

epsteins closed :(

clockwork bar near Labor is sick, probably one of the last real AF dive bars downtown.

DM if you have any questions or need more recs.

4wheels

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
why dont people try to jump the fence and skate the banks? i know its right next to the police headquarters but on an early early sunday morning or something like that.

last time i was there it looked something similar to this, it would definitely be a mission but is it possible?

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »
why dont people try to jump the fence and skate the banks? i know its right next to the police headquarters but on an early early sunday morning or something like that.

last time i was there it looked something similar to this, it would definitely be a mission but is it possible?

There's a police kiosk at one of the fences. Not saying it's not possible, but there is a reason why there hasn't been new footage in the past 4+ years.

Clemens

• Rep: 38
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »
are the banks still fenced off?

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
are the banks still fenced off?

as of a week or so ago it was still fenced off. homies been cutting holes in the fences and get a quick sesh in and some of them get ticketed

all the equipment is gone it's just a matter of the city/construction crews cleaning up the area
For Your Health

Clemens

• Rep: 38
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
Thanks for the info. im gonna be there in the beginning of august. i hope its good to skate then