Author Topic: How do you combat sore legs? (80s babies,injured and tired skaters step inside)  (Read 7444 times)

drcroc

• Rep: -42
I've noticed I just have kind of painful knee pain after skating too hard. It's usually just one knee (doesn't matter which one) and it's definitely from the impact of landing on it everytime I ollie. I've been taking days off but still exercising regardless. Going to try glucosamine pills if I can find em at Walgreens or wherever

VHS ERA

• Rep: 14
Thc topical ointment and protien shakes have done wonders for me as well as my 67 year old grandmother with arthritis. If you can get a hold of it can be a very useful tool

Which topical ointment?

VHS ERA

Arnica and agua. Like way more water than you think you need.

Facts

IHOP

• Rep: 34
Big ol BUMP.

I get really sore on the tops of my thighs, and when i foam roll that area it feels like im doing more harm than good.  Anybody have any tips on how to help that soreness?  Whatsup with those electric shock things can you overdo it or how do they really work?

If i had to give my own tips it would just be drinking a gallon of water a day, no alcohol, and try to keep skating, if you take a day off of being active it gets worse on the second day.
only in skateboarding is putting an adult in a position where they might have to actually work for their income "ruining their life"  ::)

S.

• Rep: 10
    • Fotos
Big ol BUMP.

I get really sore on the tops of my thighs, and when i foam roll that area it feels like im doing more harm than good.  Anybody have any tips on how to help that soreness?  Whatsup with those electric shock things can you overdo it or how do they really work?

If i had to give my own tips it would just be drinking a gallon of water a day, no alcohol, and try to keep skating, if you take a day off of being active it gets worse on the second day.

Sometimes you do need a day of rest. If your muscles are really sore it will always be worse on the second day, but it will be much better on the third. It sounds to me that you are currently pushing yourself too much. Sometimes it can go a long way to take it easy for a few days. You will be stronger in the long term. To get better you need to skate AND rest long enough to recover after. I try to stop skating before I am completely exhausted. I am pretty old though so I have to be careful with the amount of stress I put on my body or inflammation will not let me skate at all.

I guess if you approached skating as a serious sport it would probably be smart to do it in a way that you never got sore in the first place. I think this martial arts guy's philosophy of never being sore is valid for skating as well:

I wish I was young again and I didn't have to think about all that shit.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -22
  • You had to be there.
So I'm only 29 but my body is old (RIP Prodigy). I've had multiple blown ACL & meniscus surgeries etc but tbh what holds me back the most is being super sore and stiff. I stand all day at work and outside of work I'm very active, I'm basically always on my feet. Some days when I try to start warming up and doing tricks I look like one of those fainting goats

Some sore days I push through to have a I great sesh but sometimes I just gotta admit that my legs just don't have it in them to be popping tricks. I put Walgreens
Memory foam inserts into the sneakers I wear to work which marginally minimizes how beat I am at the end of the day  and I skate Adidas Suciu ADVs because that Adiprene
insert is the best cushion I've felt in the modern era for sore feet and legs.

I use a tiger tail, it's like an extreme foamroller. I use it for sure muscles and it might help your problem. My dad has the same problem as he is getting back into skating and doesn't want to go to the park because he is always sore.

What do yall do to fight the soreness? I'm trying to not go gently into the dying of the light b. What can I do. Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga

PatrickSkateman

• Rep: 22
Strengthening wit squats and deadlifts.

An apparatus known as “The Stick” that you can find on Amazon...life changing.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -22
  • You had to be there.
Yeah Tiger Tail works for stiffness and soreness. I have used it and if works pretty well. My dad has the same problem, because last time he skated was in 1997, and he never wants to go to the park because he is always sore. When I tell him he should do something like a foam roller, he says "Nah, I ain't doin that hippy bullshit!"

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • Stuffed Animal Serial Killer

I do this for a few minutes before and after skating.  Not sure it really works but seems to make me feel better

This seems to really help if you've been on your feet all day. Sometimes I will put my feet up on a recliner so I can bend my knees rather than have them straight.
I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

VHS ERA

^^yea that’s a good one

Hi8Horizons

• Rep: -2
So I'm only 29 but my body is old (RIP Prodigy). I've had multiple blown ACL & meniscus surgeries etc but tbh what holds me back the most is being super sore and stiff. I stand all day at work and outside of work I'm very active, I'm basically always on my feet. Some days when I try to start warming up and doing tricks I look like one of those fainting goats

Some sore days I push through to have a I great sesh but sometimes I just gotta admit that my legs just don't have it in them to be popping tricks. I put Walgreens Memory foam inserts into the sneakers I wear to work which marginally minimizes how beat I am at the end of the day  and I skate Adidas Suciu ADVs because that Adiprene insert is the best cushion I've felt in the modern era for sore feet and legs.

What do yall do to fight the soreness? I'm trying to not go gently into the dying of the light b. What can I do. Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga

Honestly when I was younger I started out skating a 7.75 and eventually ended up going as low as 7.5, then I didn't skate for a while & I saw that the trend was people skating boards that are wider. So I went with an 8.25 for a while and it blew the shit out of my left knee. Like it was swollen and I constantly had to crack it (I still do at times.) Then I went down to an 8 which was better & now I'm thinking of going back to 7.75 like when I started. Those added fractions of an inch seriously make it much harder on the legs to pop the board up and do everything, in my experience at least. Otherwise I'm not too bad. I think weight lifting helps strengthen the body though.