Author Topic: How do you combat sore legs? (80s babies,injured and tired skaters step inside)  (Read 21794 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
So I'm only 29 but my body is old (RIP Prodigy). I've had multiple blown ACL & meniscus surgeries etc but tbh what holds me back the most is being super sore and stiff. I stand all day at work and outside of work I'm very active, I'm basically always on my feet. Some days when I try to start warming up and doing tricks I look like one of those fainting goats

Some sore days I push through to have a I great sesh but sometimes I just gotta admit that my legs just don't have it in them to be popping tricks. I put Walgreens Memory foam inserts into the sneakers I wear to work which marginally minimizes how beat I am at the end of the day  and I skate Adidas Suciu ADVs because that Adiprene insert is the best cushion I've felt in the modern era for sore feet and legs.

What do yall do to fight the soreness? I'm trying to not go gently into the dying of the light b. What can I do. Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
If you

You could be one of these killer goats

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga

i'm 27 and i get the same soreness of legs at times, but doing stretches/yoga/however you wanna quantify it does help to a point, targeting the areas that hurt after a time is the best way to do it, you don't have to be doing handstands and inverted body bend shit

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
If you

Yo that goat is GOAT

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga

[close]

i'm 27 and i get the same soreness of legs at times, but doing stretches/yoga/however you wanna quantify it does help to a point, targeting the areas that hurt after a time is the best way to do it, you don't have to be doing handstands and inverted body bend shit

Yea I stretch for a sec before skating but I should probably do more. Idk my thighs and calfs say "be horizontal and do nothing on your days off" but my soul says go skate and I always go.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
Stay hydrated.  Im 45 and I'll drink a ton of water the night before, even if I have to piss all night, Ill still drink water.  After session I like arnica gel or Tiger Balm. It like hippy Icey-Hot.  Epsom salt baths or are great too. You can wet a cloth and microwave it hot then sprinkle the epsom salt if it something you cant soak, like a shoulder. If your cramped up 15 mins in the session, Id just lurk with a cold beer and fire up the grill. Every crew needs a P-Stone.

Johnny Rad

• Rep: 13
I'm 38 and have been skating consistently for 28 years. I SWEAR by epsom salt baths. Some people say it doesn't work for them but I usually take one the night before skating and then within a couple hours after. I'll still feel sore if I push myself too hard, but it really has helped.
I also saw him snake a kid with cancer once for some go fund me or some shit.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Stretch, do yoga, stay hydrated, maintain a good diet, using a foam roller helps quite a bit too. As far as shoes go, I would try to skate a solid cupsole that actually has a midsole, and then put in a set of slim footprint orthotics.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
do dynamic (moving, rotating, swinging ,etc) stretching before skating, regular stretching after. regular stretches when your muscles are "cold" can increase fatigue and stress.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
I would suggest reading yoga for dummies. Find a few poses that work the area you're sore in and do them throughout the day. Imagine the amount of time you've spent hurting your body skating and put that time into healing.

Lay flat on your back/stomach in grass or sand.

Get a muy Thai book and practice kicking/stretching

Try acupuncture/massage therapy if u can afford it

Run up and down hills

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
I'm 29, my right ankle has been fucked for a few years now, clicks every time I walk and after skating it gets super stiff going a few inches up the side of my leg as well. My trick, other than stretching, is epson salt. Warm water and epson salt after and before you skate for 20 minutes has helped me worlds. My girlfriend try's to get me to do yoga but, ehh it just ain't for me.

buns out

• Rep: 3
Ice bath with epsom and 60 gram protein shake after skating.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
Good looks everyone. I'm gonna get some Tiger Balm (someone already told me to get this so that's 2 for tiger balm), stretch better and maybe the foam roller. I'm seeing that some people roll on a tennis or softball too. Epsom salt sounds good but I've always been grossed out by the idea of taking a bath in the bathtub in my old ass apartment lol.

Working a double tomorrow and the goal is for my legs to not be fucked when I go skate Saturday

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
the freedom of a day off is usually enough to get the legs going after working 6 days in a row if not I like to get high and draw instead. usually I stretch days where I don't skate and skate without stretching for some reason.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
If you

This is great.

See good job man. Funny shit.
I need a coffee

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Foam roller
Ibuprofen
Stretching
Emu topical cream

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
. Epsom salt sounds good but I've always been grossed out by the idea of taking a bath in the bathtub in my old ass apartment lol.

Try to just soak a rag or towel in hot as fuck water and pour the salts in that, then wrap whatever is sore. I aint one to sit in a bath either. SHit, I wont even swim in the pool at my apartment complex cause I see them bratty ass kids in there, and I know they be pissing in there!

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
. Epsom salt sounds good but I've always been grossed out by the idea of taking a bath in the bathtub in my old ass apartment lol.

[close]

Try to just soak a rag or towel in hot as fuck water and pour the salts in that, then wrap whatever is sore. I aint one to sit in a bath either. SHit, I wont even swim in the pool at my apartment complex cause I see them bratty ass kids in there, and I know they be pissing in there!

Exactly lol. Ima try this though.

m477

• Rep: 6
I get the best results from ice packs on my knees after skating. Both knees for 20 min then take a warm shower, then ice again for another 20 min. Occasionally an Epsom bath. Foam roller every day. And I only wear skate shoes when I'm skating, skate shoes all day kill my feet

asakusa75

I'm 38 and have been skating consistently for 28 years. I SWEAR by epsom salt baths. Some people say it doesn't work for them but I usually take one the night before skating and then within a couple hours after. I'll still feel sore if I push myself too hard, but it really has helped.

In my 40s, been skating 3/4 of my life. I have boiling fucking hot Radox baths most days, and my personal best friend is Voltaren 50mg.
Otherwise I am fucked.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
I get the best results from ice packs on my knees after skating. Both knees for 20 min then take a warm shower, then ice again for another 20 min. Occasionally an Epsom bath. Foam roller every day. And I only wear skate shoes when I'm skating, skate shoes all day kill my feet
This. Also try to drink plenty of water as already said, and eat lots of bananas.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
I work on my feet 40 hours a week so my legs feel like they're too full of blood most of the time, I've been trying compression socks lately.

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
I'm 33 and i can't take more than 2 sessions of 2hours of skating a week, more than that and my tendons feel stretched and about to break. Riding a bike (about 150km/week) helps a lot, i should probably do more stretching on off days.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Proper warm-up and stretching, proper after sesh stretching and bikram yoga on days off. drink enough water prior, during and after.

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
Stretch, do yoga, stay hydrated, maintain a good diet, using a foam roller helps quite a bit too. As far as shoes go, I would try to skate a solid cupsole that actually has a midsole, and then put in a set of slim footprint orthotics.

This.
Don't eat shit. Eat real food. And don't eat stuff that doesn't work for you. Be honest to yourself with the diet. Organic food might sound trendy but it's real food versus microwave shit. Food is your fuel and more. If your fuel is shit, that's how you operate. It's very simple but most people hate the fact that they need to do a major change. But if you don't change shit, you'll stay the same. Once again very simple.

Stretch/do yoga everyday. Morning and evening. Make time for it. Don't fall into that "I don't have the time" bullshit. You stare your phone/computer multiple hours a day but you don't have time for yourself? Buuuuullshit.

Most of us just need to work hard to be able to skate when older, accept it.
Plus if you do all about you average energy levels get higher and you'll enjoy your whole life a lot more.
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

ungzilla

I'm pushing 36 trillion years old but the more I skate the less sore I am when I skate, and the easier it is to warm up... Some kind of positive feedback loop business. Once you stop making the very specific movements of skating as frequently, your body isn't going to want to do them as easily. In my not-at-all-scientific-opinion, anyways.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
Great thread.

Foam rolling can be great if done correctly but from my experience be weary. A lot of people target the wrong muscle groups which can end up doing more damage than good.

I'd suggest light dynamic stretching before and after skating. It also helps to start taking a natural anti-inflammatory regularly. I recommend either arnica or Terry Naturally's Cuarmin. You could also take any type of tumeric powder that has black pepper in it (probably the cheapest option). Make it a point to get a healthy snack after skating for a few hours. You have about a 30 minute window to get some sustenance in your system. This helps with recovery more than you can imagine.

At all costs try not to drink alcohol after a hard session. Alcohol is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e for recovery. Stay hydrated.

Above all. Core and upper body aids a lot in your overall strength. Not saying you need to be lifting like some crossfit goon but consider adding some core/upper body exercises to your daily routine. Just use light weights at a higher repetition and add a dash of planks and you'll be golden. This mixed with with stretching takes only about 30 minutes of my nightly wind down.

Try to eat as clean as possible and get solid rest. I make it a point to be in bed by 10PM regularly which helps me get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Really you don't gain anything by watching netflix til' 1AM nightly.

Happy shredding, pals!

Here Come The Lame Jets

artless

• Rep: 20
  • PFFT!
    • PFFT! skate stuff avatar image
Everyone has some great points. I'll second all who said rolling (I consulted with a cert. trainer to make sure I wouldn't worsen it all), the tumeric idea is great (find a golden milk recipe and make it a nighttime ritual), dynamic stretching, bodyweight workouts, hydration and sleep... I also do the core 4 stretches in the mornings (stretch to win institute). Seems like a lot but I have found you can cut on some bullshit distractions and work on a better self.

shit_for_brains

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
iboprufen gel is great if you have muscle ache

a foam roller ball is good too for the morning/sesh/night

also lying flat down on your back is better for taking breaks than sitting down with your back arched