Author Topic: How do you combat sore legs? (80s babies,injured and tired skaters step inside)  (Read 21800 times)

mooraga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
28 years old dentist over here; 18 years pushing

I try to stretch as much as I can; even when Im not skating

Gym used to help me a lot, weight training specifically; but since started working I rather spend my free time with my girl or my board. That definately changed the game; I get tired easily now.

I push, stretch, push, stretch and then skate for 1.5-2 hours max; I try to land as much as I can on that time; land or bail.

I use the ishod Dunks insoles; the best in the game (to me) and you can put them on any pair of shoes. Right now Im using the supra avex with those insoles inside; super-duper protected feet.

I think there?s no correct formula; I have some older friends that still skate as hard as kids, others are almost cripple. Try to be as healthy as you can, keep fit and hope the best.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:01:22 AM by mooraga »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
potassium, water, knowing what things you put into your body do what for you.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I'm a lil bit of a gym rat too. I lift and eat pretty well most of the time so upper body is in shape. My life is pretty much stand at work, gym, skate, walk around everywhere cuz I'm in NYC. End of the day some days I wanna collapse after getting up my apartment stairs.

I do be skipping leg day though. because my legs already hurt to begin with. I know that's backwards.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

shit_for_brains

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal

Gym used to help me a lot, weight training specifically; but since started working I rather spend my free time with my girl or my board. That definately changed the game; I get tired easily now.

I push, stretch, push, stretch and then skate for 1.5-2 hours max; I try to land as much as I can on that time; land or bail.

I use the ishod Dunks insoles; the best in the game (to me) and you can put them on any pair of shoes. Right now Im using the supra avex with those insoles inside; super-duper protected feet.

I think there?s no correct formula; I have some older friends that still skate as hard as kids, others are almost cripple. Try to be as healthy as you can, keep fit and hope the best.

You sayin I can buy Ishod Insoles on their own or I gotta buy Ishod Dunk shoes?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
There is some berries that Brazilians swear by.

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
Acai ^

Everything mentioned already is great.  Lot's of water, before during and after the sesh.  Maybe just push around for a while to warm up.

If you're in a more liberal state, CBD topical cream after skating is great for knees/ankles.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
I have to crack both ankles and pop my knees in place in order to skate. 32 years old  and 20 years of skating.

Omega 3s in your diet help prevent join pain and stiffness and turmeric as stated is good for inflammation,I'll have it as a tea,kind of the same way Jim Thiebaud does. Water is all I drink skating,and for the most part in general.

Before skating I'll do some stretches, but I push around first to warm up. One thing for sure that helps is this deep tissue oinment that has arnica and other stuff that works wonders from herbdoc.com. If I've been skating all day I rub that shit on once I'm home and chill. I used to soak my feet in salts til' I moved somewhere with a hot tub.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
Expand Quote

[close]

You sayin I can buy Ishod Insoles on their own or I gotta buy Ishod Dunk shoes?

I would be ideal to buy them apart; but in my case I discovered the insoles when I bought the dunks  :P

Barstool

• Rep: 4
34 years old, 21 on the board, and the last year I've been skating for about 2 hours almost every morning (5-6 times a week).

Lots of good stuff here. I need to try topical stuff and anti inflammatories. Also, I am gonna add a +1 on the good clean nutrition and daily core exercises, and I do occasional yoga and try to get as much sleep as I can. I also got some of those footprint insoles and I highly, highly recommend them. I kept re-aggravating a heel bruise, and now it has healed on its own without having to take a break to heal. I am almost never too sore to skate anymore, so Im just gonna share my routine.

- When I get to the spot, and before I step on my skateboard I do this dynamic stretching routine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSSf8yZjclk/

- Push around for about 5 minutes, do about 10 ollies and 10 nollies on flat, mostly try to take it as slow and small as possible warming up.

- Drink so much goddamn water (40-60 oz)

- As soon as possible after skating (usually right when I get home, but its better to do it sooner), I do this foam roller routine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSXaxq0DFRZ/

- Muscle roll out my quads and anywhere I feel tired

Hope this helps!

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
Great thread.

Foam rolling can be great if done correctly but from my experience be weary. A lot of people target the wrong muscle groups which can end up doing more damage than good.

I'd suggest light dynamic stretching before and after skating. It also helps to start taking a natural anti-inflammatory regularly. I recommend either arnica or Terry Naturally's Cuarmin. You could also take any type of tumeric powder that has black pepper in it (probably the cheapest option). Make it a point to get a healthy snack after skating for a few hours. You have about a 30 minute window to get some sustenance in your system. This helps with recovery more than you can imagine.

At all costs try not to drink alcohol after a hard session. Alcohol is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e for recovery. Stay hydrated.

Above all. Core and upper body aids a lot in your overall strength. Not saying you need to be lifting like some crossfit goon but consider adding some core/upper body exercises to your daily routine. Just use light weights at a higher repetition and add a dash of planks and you'll be golden. This mixed with with stretching takes only about 30 minutes of my nightly wind down.

Try to eat as clean as possible and get solid rest. I make it a point to be in bed by 10PM regularly which helps me get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Really you don't gain anything by watching netflix til' 1AM nightly.

Happy shredding, pals!

im out

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
34 years old, 21 on the board, and the last year I've been skating for about 2 hours almost every morning (5-6 times a week).

Lots of good stuff here. I need to try topical stuff and anti inflammatories. Also, I am gonna add a +1 on the good clean nutrition and daily core exercises, and I do occasional yoga and try to get as much sleep as I can. I also got some of those footprint insoles and I highly, highly recommend them. I kept re-aggravating a heel bruise, and now it has healed on its own without having to take a break to heal. I am almost never too sore to skate anymore, so Im just gonna share my routine.

- When I get to the spot, and before I step on my skateboard I do this dynamic stretching routine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSSf8yZjclk/

- Push around for about 5 minutes, do about 10 ollies and 10 nollies on flat, mostly try to take it as slow and small as possible warming up.

- Drink so much goddamn water (40-60 oz)

- As soon as possible after skating (usually right when I get home, but its better to do it sooner), I do this foam roller routine:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSXaxq0DFRZ/

- Muscle roll out my quads and anywhere I feel tired

Hope this helps!

Do this plus, if you have good health insurance, go to a podiatrist and get custom insoles made. They will change your posture, gate, etc. These have helped my knees, lower back, hips, etc.. The downside is unless you have good insurance they could set you back big $$$. Footprints are nice (better than any other skate specific insoles) but they aren't quite supportive enough as far as heel alignment is concerned and over a little time they do get a little packed out/shape changed.
How much for an order of ribs?

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
I have a grip of reusable ice packs.  I strap them to my knees and left ankle every night with strips of cloth from an old t-shirt when I come in after I've showered.

also:
-hydrate.  water, coconut water, seltzer water (and coffee) is usually all i drink.
-stretch fluently and often
-turmeric supplement.  and general diet
-fp insoles.  im using the kingfoam orthotic for my somewhat wide flat feet.  i can't speak on really high impact, but it seems like they do really well to dampen all of the smaller impacts of just being upright and moving in any way provide constantly.  that stuff adds up after a day/week/year/decade/s.

i remember when the ollie was the new fancy trick.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
I'm trying to switch it up on the back half of 2017 by eating better and exercising. I got a deck of cards and each suit represents a different body weight exercise and the number is the rep. Aces and face cards are 10s, jokers are 10 burpees. I don't like gyms or people at gyms so I'm working out like my dad who was in the joint. It's supposed to be done in 15 minutes but I'm not that gnar

I need some real meals that are healthy for lunch anyone have any ideas? Chicken and veggies are my go to for dinner regardless but sandwiches for lunch has got my mom calling me cheeks. They're her cheeks not my dads so I blame her.

Going back to the sore legs kinda. I get pedicures every 6 months of so. My ex took me once and it was legit, been going ever since. Skate feet get nasty and she was getting tired of seeing them. There's also this massage place, island foot spa, near me that's $20/hr that's legit too. I try to do both in the same day. Refreshes my whole shit.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
I've been juicing a lot lately. Turmeric and ginger with some lemons, apples and some greens. Game changer

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467

zeep zander

cbd oil works wonders

patrick c.

• Rep: 23

I do this for a few minutes before and after skating.  Not sure it really works but seems to make me feel better
All you got is today, get out and skate.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Jack off before you skate as a warm um, then after as a loosen up.
After if you can't do both.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
Jack off before you skate as a warm um, then after as a loosen up.
After if you can't do both.
Why not during?

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
i am 40
i would recommend Pilates instead of yoga...b/c it's based on strengthening one's legs instead of, like, bending your body into a bunch of unnatural positions (yoga is cool too tho)
also run 4 miles every day, go to the gym and do squats and deadlifts

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip

Mongoloid

Skate more.

That's all that really does it for me. I don't stretch, and I don't use any gimmicky shit. It's just getting the muscles used to the motions/impacts/etc..

Beer helps too, beer helps in nearly every capacity.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
Skate more.

That's all that really does it for me. I don't stretch, and I don't use any gimmicky shit. It's just getting the muscles used to the motions/impacts/etc..

the right about of beer makes your mind calm and the slams more funny than painful
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

IHOP

I'm 19 and get sore from jumping down stuff and running at a trick really easy, i assume thats different than most of your guys' soreness,  the biggest thing that helps is if i warm up skating at a park.  Just simple tricks for a half hour to an hour before i go skate a spot, and drinking as much water as I can.  Other than that I really havnt found anything to help, but I will get sore for 4 or 5 days after running at a bump to bar or gap or something.

Mongoloid

Expand Quote
Skate more.

[close]

the right about of beer makes your mind calm and the slams more funny than painful

Like anything after 3.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

What is this?
[close]

A muscle roller
[close]
Instead of that, get this.  Cheap and effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Blue-X-Firm-AccuPoint-Roller/dp/B00IHQAXCY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499020759&sr=8-5&keywords=rumble+roller

I agree 100% with this. I have a roller stick and it doesn't feel as effective as a foam roller. Also, the tens machine does wonders for my knees, hips and almost anything that hurts. Just be careful because I gave myself a gnarly cramp. I'm 21 and usually on the go or sleeping and definitely stopping for meals compared to eating 1 or 2 when you can is better.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
Warm/ cool bath soaking, stretching, and braces if you're working on the last of your meat. Whatever you do, don't take opioids to trick yourself into skating as you used to, especially if there's no rehabilitative follow through. I made that mistake, and I made things severely worse.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

shit_for_brains