Author Topic: How do you combat sore legs? (80s babies,injured and tired skaters step inside)  (Read 21801 times)

backflip

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
slash, is that you?
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

backflip

I don't know what your saying, that's a device for knee tension.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Those are for totally different parts of your body and the thing I posted costs $12.
I bought one of those and it included a hard, spiked ball to roll under your feet for $8 from aldi.  If I use that as pictured in your post to where it can actually do something, my other leg and back spasms out.

The thing I posted I can hit more effectively knots in muscles and connective tissues including my iliotibial band which makes my knee caps pull outward and track crooked resulting in a neverending fountains of pain.

How to Release Your IT Band from Your Quads & Hip Flexors

My thing only cost $5 more and does a hell of a lot more.

Also, thanks for posting the TENS unit.  I've been meaning to get one.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Shoutout to this thread man. Yall came through.

My legs still hurt after standing all day at work + skating and nothing will unfuck my knee but I swear I'm feeling a little better. The things I've done that I feel are helping are

-Dynamic stretching before skating (I do it while watching skate videos pre-sesh)
-Stretching and elevating after work and skating. I'm not doing any downward dog or happy baby type shit but I guess some of these stretches qualify as yoga no homo (jk)
-Foam roller (ordered one on amazon for $8, cheaper than a Chinatown massage and is as effective)

Lots of water and eating well too but I was already on that.

Here's some articles I have found useful (that include pictures and gifs if you're too lazy to read)

A Skateboarders Guide to Yoga
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/12/29/a-skateboarders-intro-to-yoga/

Post skate stretching
https://www.thedailypush.com/post-skate-stretching

6 Yoga Poses to Soothe Tired Legs and Feet
https://www.doyouyoga.com/6-yoga-poses-to-soothe-tired-legs-and-feet-11665/

THE DAILY PUSH
ROAD TO RECOVERY

http://theberrics.com/the-daily-push-recovery/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:42:28 PM by VHS ERA »

drcroc

I'm the same age. I can only go 3-4 days of skating then I take 2 days off. I used to be able to go 5-6 easily.  My legs are also unfit to be popping tricks (too tired, no juice in them) so on those days I just do tic tacs and work on varials and whatever board feel.

In the past if I wasn't "feelin it" I might've tried to push through. These days I give it a good 10-15 minutes then bail on the session if I feel even slightly off. Not worth the risk. I posted in the "old dudes" thread I saw a big fall off from 28 to 29, like my energy is just not there like it used to be. Still this past week I was skating and felt amazing, out there. It's that some good days...some bad days deal.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
I take my painkillers before the session.
And after.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Drink a lot of water, sleep well, eat a lot of fruits / vegetables, protein shake after the session, foam roller, tennis ball for foot massage, essential oils, and drink a lot of water again.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
Legs on the wall, I don't really buy into yoga bullish but that shit helps

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
If I really want to skate the next day, and am really sore, I'll spend my evening eating bananas for dinner, drink about a gallon of water, and stretch/foam roll.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Lately I've noticed alcohol and fried foods really hinder recovery by quite a large margin, even veggie samosas and stuff like

Ben Ironside

• Rep: 0
After I skate too much, I cook myself a large flank steak pan fried in salted butter. I eat that put on a pair of wet socks and go to sleep.  That usually does the trick.

shit_for_brains

If I really want to skate the next day, and am really sore, I'll spend my evening eating bananas for dinner, drink about a gallon of water, and stretch/foam roll.

And then skate in a diaper because your shit is just leaking out of you?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Jazzercise works wonders for the gams.

Jazzercise - Move your Boogie Body 1982

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
Expand Quote
[close]

And then skate in a diaper because your shit is just leaking out of you?
I didn't say it was comfortable.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
great info in here

I don't have much to add, and reading over this, I feel like my stretching routine has been completely wrong. Gonna move to some dynamic stretching before my next park session and see how it fares.

I recently pulled my entire right side of my body, like I grabbed a fence and my board flew out from under me and it pulled everything real hard. I have a weird sensation on the ligaments around my bottom rib, like it feels my rib is dislocated or something, so if anyone has any tips for rehabilitating injured ribs (not cracked), I'm interested

scaryghoul

• Rep: -8
I have a weird sensation on the ligaments around my bottom rib, like it feels my rib is dislocated or something, so if anyone has any tips for rehabilitating injured ribs (not cracked), I'm interested

I only have experience with the upper ribs (cracked left side, ligament thing on right side). Both injuries have been from impacting the ground without being able to brace with my arm. So not really the type that maybe you're experiencing. But here's my rib story anyways mybe it will help you

ok so the ligament thing: annoying, but able to still cruise, but I really couldn't lift my right arm above my head. So... couldn't even really pop the board properly. I've broken my collar bone on this side also, and ever since that injury (about 10 yrs ago) there's been this weird tension in the muscle groups. So the fullness of recovery on this new injury was worrying me and I decided not to push it at all. I basically watched skate videos for like 3 weeks with a frozen bag of peas pressed up against the upper rib area. Then by week 4 and 5 started cruising more often, getting the feel back. Glad I let it heal and didn't cause it more harm because now I don't even think about it. Full movement, no pain. Still got some clavicle muscular tension though but I've skated with that since I was 13 so the sky is blue wats new

So I'd say just let it heal up. Would suck if it lingered with you longer and then stuck around. I could imagine core rotation/ hip-to-shoulder-follow-through might be affected or stiffened
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:13:45 AM by scaryghoul »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
Does anyone do hamstring strengthening exercises? I know my knees feel much better after I work on them.

Just think about how flimsy your arms would be if your biceps are weak.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/thigh-pain/hamstring-strain/strengthening-exercises-hamstrings

I actually do hamstring curls at the gym on a machine more than anything.  At home, I do glute bridges either one foot or weighted to really build strength.

super-basic

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/5pwxki/foam_rollers_and_lacrosse_balls_are_awesome/

I'm the dude linking a reddit post, but the lacrosse ball gifs helped me a lot. The hamstring one and the scapular shit, since I'm a computer-slag.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
  • illinoying
Thc topical ointment and protien shakes have done wonders for me as well as my 67 year old grandmother with arthritis. If you can get a hold of it can be a very useful tool

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155

Everyone is looking at me weird on the train while I try these moves.
Fuck em!

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Does anyone do hamstring strengthening exercises? I know my knees feel much better after I work on them.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/thigh-pain/hamstring-strain/strengthening-exercises-hamstrings

I actually do hamstring curls at the gym on a machine more than anything.  At home, I do glute bridges either one foot or weighted to really build strength.

No I don't, but I probably should. When I did more yoga strength exercises I discovered how week they were. They would cramp up during very basic exercises. Skating must not strengthen them at all.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
when u jump down stuff now i try to give myself a max number of tries, like 10 at most, and just live with it. skate everyday or as often as possible and when it is truly sore, take the day off and stay off my feet all day

ratfink

• Rep: 5

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
I'm 29, my right ankle has been fucked for a few years now, clicks every time I walk and after skating it gets super stiff going a few inches up the side of my leg as well. My trick, other than stretching, is epson salt. Warm water and epson salt after and before you skate for 20 minutes has helped me worlds. My girlfriend try's to get me to do yoga but, ehh it just ain't for me.

I had the clicking too. Have you had an MRI for it? Could be OCD of the Talus.

http://www.houstonmethodist.org/orthopedics/where-does-it-hurt/foot/osteochondritis-dissecans/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:08:56 PM by ticklefingers »

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
Arnica and agua. Like way more water than you think you need.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Expand Quote

[close]

No I don't, but I probably should. When I did more yoga strength exercises I discovered how week they were. They would cramp up during very basic exercises. Skating must not strengthen them at all.

The bosu ham curl is a good one....you guys are in the right track w ham curls.....pushing and skating actually lead to my hamstrings to almost atroph because your quad and hips do all the work and your push just becomes efficient.....

I couldn't do a right ham curl without clenching my left side....just like pushing reg foot...

So concentrate on your otherside too so you aren't compensating.....

Ultimately though....if you wanna keep your knees healthier ham curls.....

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Expand Quote

[close]
Everyone is looking at me weird on the train while I try these moves.
Fuck em!

Don't confuse "looking at me weird" with "looking at me jealously", my friend.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Truth....Mcrank on Zumba.....

Lloyd

• Rep: 0
I have to crack both ankles and pop my knees in place in order to skate. 32 years old  and 20 years of skating

How do you mean crack your ankles, does this loosen them up? I always thought when things crack it is the bubble of air being popped in the joint.