Author Topic: How do you combat sore legs? (80s babies,injured and tired skaters step inside)  (Read 21796 times)

drcroc

I've noticed I just have kind of painful knee pain after skating too hard. It's usually just one knee (doesn't matter which one) and it's definitely from the impact of landing on it everytime I ollie. I've been taking days off but still exercising regardless. Going to try glucosamine pills if I can find em at Walgreens or wherever

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Thc topical ointment and protien shakes have done wonders for me as well as my 67 year old grandmother with arthritis. If you can get a hold of it can be a very useful tool

Which topical ointment?

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Arnica and agua. Like way more water than you think you need.

Facts

IHOP

Big ol BUMP.

I get really sore on the tops of my thighs, and when i foam roll that area it feels like im doing more harm than good.  Anybody have any tips on how to help that soreness?  Whatsup with those electric shock things can you overdo it or how do they really work?

If i had to give my own tips it would just be drinking a gallon of water a day, no alcohol, and try to keep skating, if you take a day off of being active it gets worse on the second day.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
Big ol BUMP.

I get really sore on the tops of my thighs, and when i foam roll that area it feels like im doing more harm than good.  Anybody have any tips on how to help that soreness?  Whatsup with those electric shock things can you overdo it or how do they really work?

If i had to give my own tips it would just be drinking a gallon of water a day, no alcohol, and try to keep skating, if you take a day off of being active it gets worse on the second day.

Sometimes you do need a day of rest. If your muscles are really sore it will always be worse on the second day, but it will be much better on the third. It sounds to me that you are currently pushing yourself too much. Sometimes it can go a long way to take it easy for a few days. You will be stronger in the long term. To get better you need to skate AND rest long enough to recover after. I try to stop skating before I am completely exhausted. I am pretty old though so I have to be careful with the amount of stress I put on my body or inflammation will not let me skate at all.

I guess if you approached skating as a serious sport it would probably be smart to do it in a way that you never got sore in the first place. I think this martial arts guy's philosophy of never being sore is valid for skating as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDR0drfUKqc

I wish I was young again and I didn't have to think about all that shit.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
So I'm only 29 but my body is old (RIP Prodigy). I've had multiple blown ACL & meniscus surgeries etc but tbh what holds me back the most is being super sore and stiff. I stand all day at work and outside of work I'm very active, I'm basically always on my feet. Some days when I try to start warming up and doing tricks I look like one of those fainting goats

Some sore days I push through to have a I great sesh but sometimes I just gotta admit that my legs just don't have it in them to be popping tricks. I put Walgreens
Memory foam inserts into the sneakers I wear to work which marginally minimizes how beat I am at the end of the day  and I skate Adidas Suciu ADVs because that Adiprene
insert is the best cushion I've felt in the modern era for sore feet and legs.

I use a tiger tail, it's like an extreme foamroller. I use it for sure muscles and it might help your problem. My dad has the same problem as he is getting back into skating and doesn't want to go to the park because he is always sore.

What do yall do to fight the soreness? I'm trying to not go gently into the dying of the light b. What can I do. Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Strengthening wit squats and deadlifts.

An apparatus known as “The Stick” that you can find on Amazon...life changing.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
Yeah Tiger Tail works for stiffness and soreness. I have used it and if works pretty well. My dad has the same problem, because last time he skated was in 1997, and he never wants to go to the park because he is always sore. When I tell him he should do something like a foam roller, he says "Nah, I ain't doin that hippy bullshit!"
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared

I do this for a few minutes before and after skating.  Not sure it really works but seems to make me feel better

This seems to really help if you've been on your feet all day. Sometimes I will put my feet up on a recliner so I can bend my knees rather than have them straight.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
^^yea that’s a good one

Hi8Horizons

• Rep: -2
So I'm only 29 but my body is old (RIP Prodigy). I've had multiple blown ACL & meniscus surgeries etc but tbh what holds me back the most is being super sore and stiff. I stand all day at work and outside of work I'm very active, I'm basically always on my feet. Some days when I try to start warming up and doing tricks I look like one of those fainting goats

Some sore days I push through to have a I great sesh but sometimes I just gotta admit that my legs just don't have it in them to be popping tricks. I put Walgreens Memory foam inserts into the sneakers I wear to work which marginally minimizes how beat I am at the end of the day  and I skate Adidas Suciu ADVs because that Adiprene insert is the best cushion I've felt in the modern era for sore feet and legs.

What do yall do to fight the soreness? I'm trying to not go gently into the dying of the light b. What can I do. Pls don't tell me I have to start doing yoga

Honestly when I was younger I started out skating a 7.75 and eventually ended up going as low as 7.5, then I didn't skate for a while & I saw that the trend was people skating boards that are wider. So I went with an 8.25 for a while and it blew the shit out of my left knee. Like it was swollen and I constantly had to crack it (I still do at times.) Then I went down to an 8 which was better & now I'm thinking of going back to 7.75 like when I started. Those added fractions of an inch seriously make it much harder on the legs to pop the board up and do everything, in my experience at least. Otherwise I'm not too bad. I think weight lifting helps strengthen the body though.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
The combination of Tiger Balm and Flexiseq has changed my life.

I work all day doing physical labor then skate 3 evenings of the working week.

By the time the weekend comes I used to be in agony.

But now I apply both of them twice a day and it's made such an improvement. Amazing.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

cky enthusiast

stretch!! trapping and releasing blood helps replenish your muscles with fresh o2. i generally stretch 40min in the morning and 40min at night. also try to stretch if i take a slam real bad.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
stretch!! trapping and releasing blood helps replenish your muscles with fresh o2. i generally stretch 40min in the morning and 40min at night. also try to stretch if i take a slam real bad.

What stretches do you do ?

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
wear compression leggings

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
'How do you Circa Combat sore legs' is honestly how I read the title of this thread at first. I'm suspecting a correlation.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
Drugs, they're the only thing allowing me to skate for any length of time.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
[close]

a lot of the stuff i do focuses on hips and lower back. i generally start w/ a standing half moon to wake up and loosen my lower back and then work my way into some variation of plow pose, pidgeon pose, warrior etc. all of these stretches are pretty well documented by insufferable granola types on their awful wellness blogs- i can do a more in depth post if people want but i’m trying to be wary of being a yoga jagoff

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

a lot of the stuff i do focuses on hips and lower back. i generally start w/ a standing half moon to wake up and loosen my lower back and then work my way into some variation of plow pose, pidgeon pose, warrior etc. all of these stretches are pretty well documented by insufferable granola types on their awful wellness blogs- i can do a more in depth post if people want but i’m trying to be wary of being a yoga jagoff

[close]

Very interesting man thank you.

I've been meaning to try yoga but I'm too lazy.

I work a tough day and start before the crack of dawn so doing it before work would be tough.

Do those stretches help with legs too ?

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Very interesting man thank you.

I've been meaning to try yoga but I'm too lazy.

I work a tough day and start before the crack of dawn so doing it before work would be tough.

Do those stretches help with legs too ?
[close]

absolutely. you’ll feel a lot in your hips, hamstrings/back of ur legs and ur side. a good standing bow pose helps w/ the quads too.

i work a manual labor job as well so i know exactly where you’re coming from. i try to sneak in a forward fold stretch as often as i can throughout the day (even in line at the hot bar for lunch etc) but it’s not always easy to make the time. a little bit is better than nothing.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image

That‘s a lot of stretching! I usually only stretch a bit after like 15 minutes of light skating. Usually just to loosen up my hips and my legs muscles. Sometimes I stretch or do yoga at night but only like one or two nights per week. I do more yoga periodically when I feel pain or I am really sore somewhere. It is so good for me, but god do I hate doing it!

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
[close]

That‘s a lot of stretching! I usually only stretch a bit after like 15 minutes of light skating. Usually just to loosen up my hips and my legs muscles. Sometimes I stretch or do yoga at night but only like one or two nights per week. I do more yoga periodically when I feel pain or I am really sore somewhere. It is so good for me, but god do I hate doing it!

i like it a lot and since covid i cant get to the place i usually practice- i’m not advocating everyone stretch that much per day to be clear, i’m just a huge advocate for it

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
Stretching at this start and again after a few hours, stay hydrated, and skating more often for shorter periods. Like I'll go for two proper skates a week, 4-6 hours. If that's all i do, my legs are pretty janky for a day or two after each time, but if i go for a little skate two or three times a week for an hour on the days in between the proper skates, my recovery time is faster, warming up takes less time, and my pop, stamina and basics all maintain or improve in consistency.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
Look into the stuff runners/sprinters do - hydration, electrolyte replacement, protein intake during exercise, active stretching, eating clean, self massage, and pre/post workout routines. There's also nothing wrong with getting some type of extracarricular exercise program into your life - gym (weights but stay mellow He-Man), biking, running, yoga, hiking, whatever. Just do something in addition to skating that is physical and fun. I believe some of the fatigue we experience is mental and having another outlet is a good way to stay active and get a mental break from skating.

How maytimes do you hear people say they are gassed but after getting active say they feel great? This is your lazy mind tricking you into resting because it is tired not your body actually being tired. Of course, you could actually be on the verge of an inury (or be injured) so you have to know yourself and be able to tell the difference between lazy, tired, and injured. Lazy deserves a kick in the ass. Tired deserves rest and fuel. Injured deserves rest and rehabilitation. You'll only learn the difference by going over the line and burning yourself.

As far as topicals go, I like Blue Emu and DMSO together. No smell and it absorbs quickly. Tiger balm is great too but is a bit stank and leaves a greasy film so I use it at night before bed.

This is just one old dude's take after being involved in some fairly heavy distance running along with 35 years of skating.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Stretching at this start and again after a few hours, stay hydrated, and skating more often for shorter periods. Like I'll go for two proper skates a week, 4-6 hours. If that's all i do, my legs are pretty janky for a day or two after each time, but if i go for a little skate two or three times a week for an hour on the days in between the proper skates, my recovery time is faster, warming up takes less time, and my pop, stamina and basics all maintain or improve in consistency.

Consistency builds that stamina! Unfortunately where I'm at, we're about to be buried in snow and I'm not the snowboarding type. Weekend missions to dry spots will have to suffice.

Also damn, there is such excellent advice in this thread, shalom everyone. I feel like a solid diet, hydration, and post session stretches are essential for me. Eating good and drinking a TON as close to the end of the sesh is important to mitigate the soreness.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3wnhOpht_0

not sure if anyone fucks with Yoga with Adriene, but she's the absolute best. I do "yoga joy" pretty often starting this COVID season in April, and continued thruout the summer. definitely made my skating better, longer, and less sore.

I know you said first thing don't tell me yoga, but first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was yoga. Stretch !

doublesteveburger

I spend 40+ hours a week making sweet passionate love to a forklift. My knees feel like absolute shit and I have a bit of a drop foot from having to put pressure on a deadlift all day. Any of y’all have recommendations to ease that dead calf feeling?

cky enthusiast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3wnhOpht_0

not sure if anyone fucks with Yoga with Adriene, but she's the absolute best. I do "yoga joy" pretty often starting this COVID season in April, and continued thruout the summer. definitely made my skating better, longer, and less sore.

I know you said first thing don't tell me yoga, but first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was yoga. Stretch !

it’s all yoga with tim on this side, fool

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Stay hydrated.  Im 45 and I'll drink a ton of water the night before, even if I have to piss all night, Ill still drink water.  After session I like arnica gel or Tiger Balm. It like hippy Icey-Hot.  Epsom salt baths or are great too. You can wet a cloth and microwave it hot then sprinkle the epsom salt if it something you cant soak, like a shoulder. If your cramped up 15 mins in the session, Id just lurk with a cold beer and fire up the grill. Every crew needs a P-Stone.
Respect

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
I’m almost 4 years older and wiser than when I made this thread so I can kinda answer it myself now. Lots came from suggestions in here so shoutout everybody.

The most important things to me have definitely been:

-foam roll pre sesh
-dynamic stretch pre sesh
-regular static stretch after sesh if you have dreams of skating again the next couple days
-footprint gamechanger insoles. they are in short supply in my size so if yall know any other comparable insoles lmk.