Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85632 times)

jrock

Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »
oh man, this shit is getting pretty Enron...we should all learn to carve our own boards out of logs like our ancestors did...long live grim, and long live the small company...

golgo13

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
reggie fucking barnes.
when did freestylers take over skateboarding?

mikefork

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
hey grim since you took the initiative to make the site to help represent us why not plan a go skate harder that the iascs go skate day day?
it wouldn't be that hard and you wouldn't have to actually fund anything just make up some event on the same day as theirs and just have a "plan"

jrock

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2007, 09:25:16 AM »
An ex AISC member just sent me some internal AISC campaign idea memos... I'll be posting them shortly. Of note:

Expand Quote
   Super tour “the sacred skateboard tour”
   Top pro’s from all brands go on a tour to promote pro skateboarding
   Stop at key locations promoting only top skateboard brands
   Sell video to reinvest into tour
    “Skaters are rebels” Reggie Barnes
   “…If we create campaigns trying to sway skateboarders they will possibly rebel against it and go even more to non branded boards”
   Don’t be too subtle- we’re talking to 14 year olds, make it more direct so it doesn’t take them a lot of time/effort to get it, don’t make it too adult.
   Focus on the pros communicating message
[close]

this is disgusting.  this is basically proof that they are consolidating in order to monopolize the skateboard industry and force out small businesses.  this goes against everything all of these companies stood for when they were created.  this is some kind of shit Vision would have done...and we all know what happened to Vision...

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »

Shit, the only one that didn't take over was Primo.

golgo13

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
he's still doing doubles routines with his wife apparently.
per- blitz
pierre andre-sole tech
reggie barnes-south shore
rodney- dwindle
rocco-dwindle
 whats kevin harris up to?

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2007, 09:46:50 AM »
Dunno what he's up to but this graphic of his made me want to buy a freestyle board.

beeda weeda

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »
grimcitty, good job, you really love skateboarding, its sick.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »
Nice shit Grim. Well put. Somebody needs to point out how hypocritical these jerks are being
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

fido

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »
Just for the record, True Love Collective has no issue with the IASC, and they are NOT down for blank boards.  They do, however, believe that shops have every right to do what they need to do to support themselves, as they are the ones who are trully LIVING skateboarding, every day, and who are 100% invested in their local scene (or at least SHOULD be).  Why should shops not have their own boards, with a higher margin?  Who says that they should make less money than all the big companies? What right do all these larger companies have to tell them they SHOULDN'T make a decent living?  If these companies were doing their jobs all along, and REALLY supporting skateboarding and real skate shops, this would never be an issue.  Most of the shops I go into actually get their boards made HERE in the USA, at SKATER OWNED woodshops.  Some of these huge companies have recently STOPPED getting quality, US made boards, or even quality Chinese made boards that are at least done in factories owned by skateboarders over there, and have switched to bullshit boards that no doubt cost a lot less.  Just pick up some of these boards and look for that telltale serial number between the truck bolts, it's gone.  
To be fair, some of the larger companies (like DLX and Black Box) are UNQUESTIONABLY down for skateboarding, you really cannot deny it with any rational argument.  Some others are obviously just trying to make money at this point.  Remember Vision?  
I'm rambling, sorry.  The point here is that until the bigger brands actually do something REAL to help the real skate shops, they have NO RIGHT to whine about dwindling sales.
And kids, for the record, you want to support skateboarding?  DON'T buy a board, blank pro or otherwise, at the fucking MALL.  

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »
fido, I agree 100%.

golgo13

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:42 AM »
and whats stopping the mall stores from just dumping pro boards with higher margins completely and doing there own private label skateboard company? mall kids don't know any better and dont care, if they retailed for 39.99 and had shitty trendy graphics similar to those used by speed demons i have no doubts theyd sell a shit load.
the skateboard industry may have shot themselves in the foot, both feet actually.

Tobias Funke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
  • Oh, come on. Don't leave your uncle T-bag hanging.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »
per- blitz
pierre andre-sole tech
rodney- dwindle
rocco-dwindle

Kevin Harris owns Ultimate Distribution in Canada.

somekid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 10:14:08 AM »
reggie fucking barnes.
around 1989.

mikefork

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
Just for the record, True Love Collective has no issue with the IASC, and they are NOT down for blank boards. 
thats a no brainer. i got this message from fos about blanks
"Not psyched on them.
We've done what we can as a company to bring the price of boards down in this country. We barely make anything on them as it is, and if this isn't suppported then it makes things hard for companies to continue. The market in Britain used to be US boards at £60. That was pretty much it.
If a shop only sold blank products everyone would say how crap the shop is. Brands are the reason that shops are interesting to customers, thats what brings the customers to shops.
Even as a kid growing up in Burnley with NO MONEY at all I never rode blanks. I always thought that they were lame.
My 2p worth. "

i was saying that the people at the shop are blindly following the iasc and getting tricked by them. the people at my shop are too hateful sometimes and will jump aboard something without hearing both sides of a story

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2007, 10:54:36 AM »
You need to get a job designing some skate companies websites.

truthbetold

• Rep: 3
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
per- blitz
pierre andre-sole tech
rodney- dwindle
rocco-dwindle

Reggie Barnes- Eastern Skateboard Supply

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »
I do our shop site for free, but that's out of 100% love for the place. I don't know if I'd like to get paid for doing skate-related stuff. As it stands, the fun part is the payment... plus I have a good day job (unrelated to skateboarding, but related to being a geek).

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »
An ex AISC member just sent me some internal AISC campaign idea memos... I'll be posting them shortly. Of note:

Expand Quote
   Super tour “the sacred skateboard tour”
   Top pro’s from all brands go on a tour to promote pro skateboarding
   Stop at key locations promoting only top skateboard brands
   Sell video to reinvest into tour
    “Skaters are rebels” Reggie Barnes
   “…If we create campaigns trying to sway skateboarders they will possibly rebel against it and go even more to non branded boards”
   Don’t be too subtle- we’re talking to 14 year olds, make it more direct so it doesn’t take them a lot of time/effort to get it, don’t make it too adult.
   Focus on the pros communicating message
[close]

first off i would like to say good job on the site neal! your ideas are very insightful and inspiring. im definetly backing jamie thomas though, i think he has a lot of good ideas in the works that have not come to light yet but im sure time will show...

but as far as that guys campaign ideas go? taking top pros on tour? how about send the guys that are actually strugling as pros or been forced to be "exproed" on tour, i dont think that anyone in that ditch photo is really sttruggling to pay bills, there pro shoe(zumiez ,pac sun and others) are keeping them high paid. i know people might argue this as oversaturating the market, but im pretty sure guys like ricky oyola and other smaller noted dudes could use a helping hand.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »
Thanks Jayme, I really appreciate it. I respect your opinion about JT, I'm just throwing mine out there, you know? At least from an outsider's perspective, or even better, from this outsider's perspective.

Thanks again man. Do me a favor and punch "Middle School" in the arm for me... tell him to come back and see us over here.

noah

• Rep: -2
  • level vibes
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
nice work bro

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I do our shop site for free, but that's out of 100% love for the place. I don't know if I'd like to get paid for doing skate-related stuff. As it stands, the fun part is the payment... plus I have a good day job (unrelated to skateboarding, but related to being a geek).
Hell... don't do it for the money... keep your day job and design skate company sites for some pro-endorsed PRODUCT.  Seriously though... good work on the site.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »
im getting everyone in the area to check out the site and learn this shit because it seems at the park, unless they have been to the forum, they have no idea about the iasc, the blank board thing, pros turning into a bunch of fucking popstars, and the possibility of skateboarding dying because of a bunch of filthy rich, greedy freestylers.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2007, 12:06:04 PM »
i agree, well done

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
Can you mention the fact that professional skateboarding has never been as lucrative as it is nowadays. If it was 93 or something and it was normal for our favorite pros to quit in their mid 20's to get a "real job" they might have an argument. But have you seen Terry Kennedy's bling?!? And thats TERRY KENNEDY!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2007, 12:19:54 PM »

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »
Can you mention the fact that professional skateboarding has never been as lucrative as it is nowadays. If it was 93 or something and it was normal for our favorite pros to quit in their mid 20's to get a "real job" they might have an argument. But have you seen Terry Kennedy's bling?!? And thats TERRY KENNEDY!
image sells. This aint rap/rock industry yet personality gets exploited and stars are made.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
Fellas, the site rules! Now it's time for solutions. I like to see these shady pigs get exposed but it shouldn't stop there. Hey grim, how bout setting up a solution thread? Have all the kids chime in and brainstorm some possible solutions on your site? You're the man for the site, but if you actually come up with a solution that makes sense you're a hero.

IASC BOARD MEMBER

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2007, 12:33:34 PM »
Fellas, the site rules! Now it's time for solutions. I like to see these shady pigs get exposed but it shouldn't stop there. Hey grim, how bout setting up a solution thread? Have all the kids chime in and brainstorm some possible solutions on your site? You're the man for the site, but if you actually come up with a solution that makes sense you're a hero.

I have a solution... buy pro boards or else!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »
I think exposing these greedy pricks is a big part of the solution. Really the battle here is a battle of information. The IASC is pushing one message and Grim is calling them out.