Author Topic: vans arcade. made in usa  (Read 5685 times)

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
vans arcade. made in usa
« on: July 01, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »

thoughts? not sure if they are fully usa made, or if a part of them is. not sure the percentage needed to qualify for made vs. built in usa. none of my local shops have accounts, one used to have a syndicate account but thats gone.

artichoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: vans arcade. made in usa
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:11:36 PM »
Are these cupsole?

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
Likely just as "Made in the USA" as Indy's are

N.L.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »

ie. mostly?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 06:23:26 PM »
Since the run is limited to 700, my guess is it's just fab, materials are probably sourced.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
Rumor has the price at $270  ::) :D ::) :D

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
Rumor has the price at $270  ::) :D ::) :D

They are! $135 wholesale price.  :o

Inside the tongue, it says "Made in the USA from imported materials"
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:39:38 PM »
Pics I took. Like that in that video, it also comes in white suede.

Drops this Saturday. I think.

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
I can already hear Rowley pushing these
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »
http://www.rippedlaces.com - understanding-the-construction-cost-of-vans-american-made-style-113-pro

For years, we've heard the cry of many asking for an American-made product that they can proudly wear. Skateboarders were no exception in this public outcry and after some doubts about its possibilities, Vans introduces the Style 113 Pro USA.

Limited to 700 individually numbered pairs, the Style 113 Pro USA is the first Vans model to be made in the United States in the last 20 years. Back in '66, Vans was known for their American-made footwear and in revisiting their heritage, they've sacrificed no detail. The leather and suede combination is met with 'Made in U.S.A.' branding throughout the upper and tongue, along with your mandatory side stripe. A UltraCush HD sockliner can be found within this team model, making it extremely ideal for skating.

The Style 113 will be available in select skate shops on July 8th for an estimated $270. For those asking why the price is so steep, it's simply because American labor doesn't come so cheap. For those asking why it's a cupsole, it's because the vulcanization process involves adding sulfur to rubber in order to manipulate the compound. From there, it must be baked using a kiln and that involves a high use of fossil fuels - more than the EPA would allow; that's why all vulcanized models are made outside of the US. A cupsole, in this case, just calls for some adhesive and additional stitching.

The Style 113, offered in a white leather upper/black outsole and a black leather upper/white outsole.

It'll be an interesting to see how consumers react to Vans American-made footwear. As stated before, we've been subjected to numerous inquiries about US made skate shoes for years and now that they're here, (at the price that we expected them to be) only time will tell if those asking will be the same who purchase these handcrafted shoes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:59:58 PM by Xen »

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
http://www.rippedlaces.com - understanding-the-construction-cost-of-vans-american-made-style-113-pro

For years, we've heard the cry of many asking for an American-made product that they can proudly wear. Skateboarders were no exception in this public outcry and after some doubts about its possibilities, Vans introduces the Style 113 Pro USA.

Limited to 700 individually numbered pairs, the Style 113 Pro USA is the first Vans model to be made in the United States in the last 20 years. Back in '66, Vans was known for their American-made footwear and in revisiting their heritage, they've sacrificed no detail. The leather and suede combination is met with 'Made in U.S.A.' branding throughout the upper and tongue, along with your mandatory side stripe. A UltraCush HD sockliner can be found within this team model, making it extremely ideal for skating.

The Style 113 will be available in select skate shops on July 8th for an estimated $270. For those asking why the price is so steep, it's simply because American labor doesn't come so cheap. For those asking why it's a cupsole, it's because the vulcanization process involves adding sulfur to rubber in order to manipulate the compound. From there, it must be baked using a kiln and that involves a high use of fossil fuels - more than the EPA would allow; that's why all vulcanized models are made outside of the US. A cupsole, in this case, just calls for some adhesive and additional stitching.

The Style 113, offered in a white leather upper/black outsole and a black leather upper/white outsole.

It'll be an interesting to see how consumers react to Vans American-made footwear. As stated before, we've been subjected to numerous inquiries about US made skate shoes for years and now that they're here, (at the price that we expected them to be) only time will tell if those asking will be the same who purchase these handcrafted shoes.

max id spend on a pair of shoes that will get worn to skate in is like $100. but they better be fucking tanks like a blazer, none of this waffle shit that wears down in 3 weeks. I have no problem spending >$100 on some alden or allen edmonds, but skate shoes, yes I am a cheapskate. (no pun intended)

ungzilla

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
yea right you intended the shit outta that pun

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
Sooooo judging from that article, the production of vulcanized soles arent up to u.s regulations...... that is insane.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 04:25:08 AM »
Sooooo judging from that article, the production of vulcanized soles arent up to u.s regulations...... that is insane.

SCIENCE BITCH
good come sausage

thebacker

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »
very interesting honestly

breathnaigh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
I know there are factories in Japan that make vulcanized shoes, surprised if US regs won't allow Japanese regs are OK with the process.

Also, I don't totally buy the labor cost calculation. Vans were made in the US until what, the mid or late 90s? And they were $50 or so.  $50 in 1995 is $80 now. Not $270 fuckin dollars. Even if labor costs outstripped inflation significantly, that doesn't get you to $270. I understand there's economies of scale and Vans doesn't own factories here anymore but come on.

If they're going to be $270 don't fucking bother.

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
I know there are factories in Japan that make vulcanized shoes, surprised if US regs won't allow Japanese regs are OK with the process.

Also, I don't totally buy the labor cost calculation. Vans were made in the US until what, the mid or late 90s? And they were $50 or so.?  $50 in 1995 is $80 now. Not $270 fuckin dollars. Even if labor costs outstripped inflation significantly, that doesn't get you to $270. I understand there's economies of scale and Vans doesn't own factories here anymore but come on.

I have a feeling the materials in these are higher quality, they don't look like your $30 canvas authentics you get from journeys or zumiez. not saying ill buy them at all, the price is still wack. I just don't get the vans idea of being an "American heritage" brand to the point of painting a "made in the usa" thing on the wall of the vans HB skatepark, and having every pro over 45 back them (hosoi, grosso, cab) but they still cant make anything in California. yes, van doren puts on for the action sports world, but atleast put your money where your mouth is and make something here. there has to be some technology that can bypass the vulcanization environmental problem in a way that is safe and cheap.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »

Also, I don't totally buy the labor cost calculation. Vans were made in the US until what, the mid or late 90s? And they were $50 or so.  $50 in 1995 is $80 now. Not $270 fuckin dollars. Even if labor costs outstripped inflation significantly, that doesn't get you to $270. I understand there's economies of scale and Vans doesn't own factories here anymore but come on.

They're only making 700 pairs. If they were making 20000 the price would come down not just because of the savings made as per economies of scale but they would be "less desirable" due to being more available.

backflip

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Also, I don't totally buy the labor cost calculation. Vans were made in the US until what, the mid or late 90s? And they were $50 or so.??  $50 in 1995 is $80 now. Not $270 fuckin dollars. Even if labor costs outstripped inflation significantly, that doesn't get you to $270. I understand there's economies of scale and Vans doesn't own factories here anymore but come on.

[close]

I have a feeling the materials in these are higher quality, they don't look like your $30 canvas authentics you get from journeys or zumiez. not saying ill buy them at all, the price is still wack. I just don't get the vans idea of being an "American heritage" brand to the point of painting a "made in the usa" thing on the wall of the vans HB skatepark, and having every pro over 45 back them (hosoi, grosso, cab) but they still cant make anything in California. yes, van doren puts on for the action sports world, but atleast put your money where your mouth is and make something here. there has to be some technology that can bypass the vulcanization environmental problem in a way that is safe and cheap.
I honestly don't think the environmental aspect is the problem, the kilns they use for making vulcs are just big ovens. I think it was just a nice sounding excuse to why their not vulc (saving the environment my ass). Of course theyre not gonna buy a big kiln for just one run of shoes. I don't see how a big oven would burn so much gas that the EPA wouldn't allow it. Maybe its a California thing?

This is simply a shoe for the rockabilly wankers.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 01:21:23 PM »
Damn these shoes actually look super nice. I'd definitely buy a pair if they were like 1/3 of the price.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
This is all just some dumb marketing hype shit to sell more vans to people who are on to the fact that they're making them worse than ever these days.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also, I don't totally buy the labor cost calculation. Vans were made in the US until what, the mid or late 90s? And they were $50 or so.??  $50 in 1995 is $80 now. Not $270 fuckin dollars. Even if labor costs outstripped inflation significantly, that doesn't get you to $270. I understand there's economies of scale and Vans doesn't own factories here anymore but come on.

[close]

[close]
I honestly don't think the environmental aspect is the problem, the kilns they use for making vulcs are just big ovens. I think it was just a nice sounding excuse to why their not vulc (saving the environment my ass). Of course theyre not gonna buy a big kiln for just one run of shoes. I don't see how a big oven would burn so much gas that the EPA wouldn't allow it. Maybe its a California thing?

This is simply a shoe for the rockabilly wankers.
Doubt they used the environmental aspect as a means of getting away with not making them vulc just cause they wanted cupsoles. Ripped Laces wrote this article ( http://www.rippedlaces.com/2015/12/why-skate-shoes-will-never-be-made-in-the-usa/ ) back in 2015  speaking about it regardless of vans wanting to make this shoe in 2017.

Pauly Walnuts

• Rep: -5
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
This is all just some dumb marketing hype shit to sell more vans to people who are on to the fact that they're making them worse than ever these days.
"I told you a long time ago you fucking little monkey not to fuck me"-Alejandro Sosa

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »

even though i agree for the most part, the pro skate series are way better than anything vans made before in the last 10 years
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »
I hope that someday Vans will come to their senses and make another cup sole slip on, it would look really good with that sole.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 08:40:39 PM »
I hope that someday Vans will come to their senses and make another cup sole slip on, it would look really good with that sole.

the TNT slip was way ahead of the curve.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »
It would be cool to see a vegan USA made vans cupsole.
I wonder how many pairs of shoes a factory worker can make in an hour. Does it really mean that the shoes need to be 3x more expensive just because they cost $20 more to make? How about take a fucking hit to do the right thing.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the TNT slip was way ahead of the curve.
Yeah those were awesome. I used to always see them at the Ross by my old house almost weekly, wish I would've stocked up.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 04:42:48 AM »
can we get an update on if any of you fools pulled the trigger on these bad boys
good come sausage

Donald Rump

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 01:28:37 AM »
Wonder if anyone will skate in them.

They look ok but not feeling the midsole around the heel, looks a bit off.