Author Topic: Skating and weight lifting  (Read 14079 times)

Grind King Rims

Skating and weight lifting
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
Anyone else trying to balance lifting and skating? What kind of routines you guys running? I'm pretty much T-Rex mode from years of skating and strong squats, also I bike everywhere. Trying to concentrate more on upper body strength, but every beginners strength program recommends squats and deadlifts.

How y'all doing?

shit_for_brains

Re: Skating and weight lifting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
I started back in October. Not that I'm a weight lifter or anything but I started weight training. I went up a shirt size and gained 10lbs on the scale but didn't do the fat to muscle translation or any of that so I don't know what was lost and gained. My pants are looser and I was never fat, so whatever that means. It has no discernible effect on my skating. I still do squats and deadlifts and stuff, it just doesn't give me the benefit it would if I weren't skating and some people are mildly impressed that my legs are so strong from 20something years of skating.

Lame_Nigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
A while ago I started doing mostly leg workouts because I felt like the stronger my legs the better my skating. I mostly do squat and calf, then go for a 2 mile jog. My upper body ain't shit but my legs never get tired anymore

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 at the minute with some accessories, and I'm enjoying it. Just trying to eat enough is the main issue. I wish my upper body was stronger but it's nice flexing my thighs at the end of the day and feeling like a could crush some shit. Only issue with skating is if my legs are tired I can't pop at all, even if the rest of me is fine.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
I didn't start working out until I was in my late 30s (and wasn't skating at that time). I've numerous sk8 related injuries (right ankle, left knee, both wrists) that limit both my skating AND my working out, e.g., I can't bench heavy (even with a spot) due to weak wrists, can't squat (rack) heavy due to left knee and heavy calf raises are gone since I fucked my ankle last April.

If I'm going to the gym, I stick to one muscle group per day, 7 days a week, every few weeks I break it up and do two muscle groups a day - push pull, back/chest, arms/abs, legs/shoulders for three days, then the next three same thing but different exercises (or different part of the same group, rear delts, traps, etc.), 7th days are the 'forgotten muscle groups' + abs and calves again.

Lately due to work slowing down, I've frozen my gym membership and do bodyweight stuff down at the beach (rings, bars, etc.,) or at home with kettle bells and medicine balls and ride about 15 miles a day on my bike the days I don't skate and sometimes hike in the AM, work, skate in the PM...and just starting lap swimming at the college near me (cheap and hot chicks ;) now that it's warm and bright early.

Obviously working out hard and skating hard don't go hand in hand, one will have both a - and + impact on one another...if you do a good leg day, you'll be shot for 3 days to skate and if you kill it a day or two skating, leg day is going to be rough.

I've always been super lean so for me, at fucking 45, it's maintaining while being cut/ripped and not bulky as I enjoy too much running, skating, hiking, whatever, over bro gainz.

That said, if I wasn't [perpetually] injured from decades of skating (and just aches and pains of getting older) I'd be able to lift heavy and have more mass.

Squats are king for legs, hell I've always done 'air squats' (thanks to McGill in FP future primitive or chin (?)) as warmups.

Creatine, glutamin and BCAAs, multi vita and protein.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:27:30 PM by Xen »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:18:19 AM »
Nice one, thanks for the reply Xen. +1

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 12:07:53 AM »
I equate squats and deadlifts to jumping down stairs....sooner or later it goes bad.....

Now I don't try too hard in the gym because it's a dumb way to wreck yourself....I went pretty hard through my 30's with body weight type stuff but now I mainly do the type of workouts your dad does.....a bit of cardio..a bit of weights...a bit of rehab...a bit of stretching....

The idea is just doing something other than skating....for me it's just for mobility but most dudes need it to keep the weight off....

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 06:19:41 AM »
I got great results on body for life when i was younger and i'm back on it now. I skip legs but when I lift I follow they routine.

http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training

I need to drop a few pounds so I ride my bike to the gym and then jog a lap around the gym to the water fountain between each set to keep my heart rate up.

I really like the way the sets are structured. I end up doing 2 upper body parts a day. I don't do 3 times a week, I try to go as many times a week as I can because I mix my cardio in by ridding my bike.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
One thing I add when I'm cutting is jumping rope between reps, basically HIIT (Rope jumping is also great for calves)

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »
xen, i think keeping the heart rate up between sets is a great thing (active recovery). i jog to the water fountain and back but jump rope would be sick too.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:25 AM »
Get Candito 6 Week Strength Program. It is amazing, but quite demanding. Great peridiozation as well. The guy actually knows how to produce results. Just get your Excel, plug in the values, voila!

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-programs/

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:58:23 AM »
I started a real program in last september (5/3/1 BBB), did mindless bulking, went up to 95kg (I'm 6,2", so it was okay still), deadlifted 1x180 kg, squated 3x130 kg and bench pressed 3x100 kg. In february I started to cut and changed my routine (modified PHUL, more reps) and got to ~81 kg bodyweight a month ago (here is a pic from around that time:
), but I could not live on a 2100 Kcal diet for so long. First, my lifts dropped by 10-15 kg each, so now I'm eating around maintenance; I have much more energy, my lifts are better: did 4x3x130 kg squats, 4x3x150 kg deadlifts and 4x3x90 kg bench press with ~83-84 kg bodyweight.

As far as skating goes, it really fucking helps with endurance. Doing tricks feels easier and also taking slams is more forgiving.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »
Mirin sondor, +1.

I'm still a trex dyel

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:48:48 PM »
Not my expertise, but I asked about it:

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »
hey, but we're fully natty brah :D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

wheelies

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »
Interesting as I have just taken domp drugs for the first time today for the fuck of it. 20mg of my brothers stash of GW-501516. I didn't work out on it and I don't work out so I dunno dude.

It possibly felt like a mild caffeine boost but could have been placebo and any other changes wont be noticed as I don't plan on taking any more domp drugs in the future.

Thank you for your time.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:21 AM »
I started a real program in last september (5/3/1 BBB), did mindless bulking, went up to 95kg (I'm 6,2", so it was okay still), deadlifted 1x180 kg, squated 3x130 kg and bench pressed 3x100 kg. In february I started to cut and changed my routine (modified PHUL, more reps) and got to ~81 kg bodyweight a month ago (here is a pic from around that time:
), but I could not live on a 2100 Kcal diet for so long. First, my lifts dropped by 10-15 kg each, so now I'm eating around maintenance; I have much more energy, my lifts are better: did 4x3x130 kg squats, 4x3x150 kg deadlifts and 4x3x90 kg bench press with ~83-84 kg bodyweight.

As far as skating goes, it really fucking helps with endurance. Doing tricks feels easier and also taking slams is more forgiving.

Yes, I learned the hard way that bulking useless. I've got 85/110/170 (kgs.) at 69 kilos, 30 years old.

Powerlifting is kind of like skating. Suffer for 6 weeks only to increase your lifts by 5%, maybe. I like it, even though I'm really bad at it.

Also started with some olympic weight lifting. Way harder than powerlifting, but fun. Can recommend Alan Thrall on Youtube, the guy is awesome, so is Infinite Elgintensity. Fuck Crosshit.