Author Topic: books to read  (Read 238326 times)

offkilter

• Rep: 37
Re: books to read
« Reply #2970 on: June 19, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
If you're into music, the Miles Davis autobiography is a great read. He uses the word "motherfucker" over 10,000 times in the first chapter.

I sniff my own butthole all the time

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • fresh as monkey's breath
« Reply #2971 on: July 12, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
my buddy loaned me 'skateboarding, space and the city' and so far it's pretty awful. maybe i'm being harsh but it's not informative [to someone immersed in the language of skate] and it is pretty dry text. but im agnostic.
he loaned me another called 'death of nature' that's prolly better but of course i started the skating one first.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2972 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:46 PM »
Borden's book is an academic monograph, it wasn't aimed at the general public. It draws heavily on Lefebvre, so chances are if you're not familiar with (Marxist) spatial sociology you're shit out of luck.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:15:14 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -35
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #2973 on: July 12, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
my buddy loaned me 'skateboarding, space and the city' and so far it's pretty awful. maybe i'm being harsh but it's not informative [to someone immersed in the language of skate] and it is pretty dry text. but im agnostic.
he loaned me another called 'death of nature' that's prolly better but of course i started the skating one first.
So I was in 5th grade around the time I picked up this gem of a book, Skateboard Tough. Although cringe worthy now this was my favorite book when I was a kid. Use to cut up CCS catalogs and carve Popsicle sticks to fit the boards I cut out.   Here's the pdf if interested http://www.kenton.k12.ky.us/userfiles/896/file/Skateboard%20Tough.pdf
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:53:08 PM by Skate_lurker_Rob »
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Art_Vanderlay

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2974 on: July 12, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »
If you're interested in art, queer culture, the AIDS epidemic or New York In the 70's and 80's you should check out the biography Fire in the Belly: The Life and Times of David Wojnarowicz. It's a really inspiring read about an underrated and under appreciated artist who died of AIDS in the 90s.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround
« Reply #2975 on: July 12, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
I've got a few:

- Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?

- The Ascent of Money

- Guns, Germs, and Steel

- Domesticated: Evolution in a Man-Made World

I feel like I've recommended these books to quite a few people lately. I'm vegan and I recommended them mostly to other vegans. My argument is always that if you're going to tell people to not eat chicken - or to eat chicken - then you should be able to discuss the history of the Chicken with me.