Author Topic: the ART thread.  (Read 210489 times)

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
Re: the ART thread.
« Reply #2310 on: June 12, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
HATE!, that's fucking rad. How long have you been doing those?

Thanks, man.  That was my first one.

hella bad ass, could you add the arm-guard to the predator?

I considered it because it has those two cool blades that come out but arm guard thing is on his forearm just below the wrist so if I was keeping it close to the movie than you wouldn't have seen it where the wrist is severed.

Starting my second comic book thing today.  Man-Thing and Werewolf By Night.

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 508
« Reply #2311 on: June 12, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
Thank you, straight and Abbas! It's still a little unreal to think my work will be on a board. I don't think it'll really hit me till I see one in the wild. I've got a ton of stuff I'm currently working on for the showing that I'll be posting on here. There's so much damn talent in here it's a shame that SLAP art show is in limbo.

HATE! post when finished, please!

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2312 on: June 12, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
Forgot to say congrats!  I can't imagine having art on a board, that would be such a crazy feeling.

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2313 on: June 12, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
Forgot to say congrats!  I can't imagine having art on a board, that would be such a crazy feeling.

Thanks, HATE! Yeah, it's gonna be pretty rad to look at. This entire experience still feels a little unreal.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2314 on: June 12, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
Forgot to say congrats!�  I can't imagine having art on a board, that would be such a crazy feeling.

Thanks, HATE! Yeah, it's gonna be pretty rad to look at. This entire experience still feels a little unreal.

Really sick doublesteveburger!! I'm stoked for you. Your artwork is awesome!

I forgot to post those last ones on here so here they come...

3x80x60cm, Acrylic Background +Oil "me" over canvas.

Also some progress on a new one i'm doing. I still need to retouch the background and a few details. All oil this time.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 55
    • Brujaria Skateboards
« Reply #2315 on: June 15, 2016, 07:44:50 AM »
So if anyone here is interested, I recently discovered I can print really nice posters of pretty much anything you can send me. No setups or minimums. Size is 11x17"

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2316 on: June 15, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »
That looks like your typical cardstock print from Staples/FedEx, but still rad nonetheless! How'd that come about?

So if anyone here is interested, I recently discovered I can print really nice posters of pretty much anything you can send me. No setups or minimums. Size is 11x17"

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 55
    • Brujaria Skateboards
« Reply #2317 on: June 15, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
boredom at work, really. I use a garment printer to make shirts, but recently I've been pushing all sorts of things through it. I have managed to print skateboards, but thats still way work in progress. How much would a commercial print place charge for it? I have no idea what to ask for. Hah.

miff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2318 on: June 15, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
Forgot to say congrats!�  I can't imagine having art on a board, that would be such a crazy feeling.

Also some progress on a new one i'm doing. I still need to retouch the background and a few details. All oil this time.

Whoa! Your progression is unreal. Rendering skills and the palettes are solid.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2319 on: June 15, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »

Whoa! Your progression is unreal. Rendering skills and the palettes are solid.

Thank you!! I'm really trying... that last one gave me so much work. Not the figure, that is just the normal thing for me and i do it quite quick too, but the background. I had this idea of doing a fade in it, from yellow to dark orange and started with acrylic. That shit was the worst idea ever. It came out so bad that i was ashamed of it. My acrylics arent the best too so that should be one of the reasons. They work well for full color tho. I covered in white again and did the background with oil this time. It came out better but it is a little off still, i did a new layer but i need to do another one at least. Than it's full finished. I am a little busy with other classes now but i want to finish it
tomorrow and start 2 new ones (that i have to show them in 30th june, gotta work fast!!)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 86
  • AndyRoysNeck
« Reply #2320 on: June 15, 2016, 06:54:43 PM »
Man seeing all this badass art makes me question my stuff. did you guys take classes or what? i'm always trying to improve. any advice would be awesome, im just trying to come into my own style

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2321 on: June 17, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
Man seeing all this badass art makes me question my stuff. did you guys take classes or what? i'm always trying to improve. any advice would be awesome, im just trying to come into my own style
Dont question your stuff! Everybody has a different style and a different taste. Working hard is the only way to improve your stuff.
I am at a Art highschool. I learnt a lot in the first 2 years but now i think i'm learning just by myself, experimenting stuff and see if i like, finding my style. I may keep this style for a while, because i found that it works with my kind of painting and i like the result, but next year i dunno, i can change it radically!

Update, finished:

Oil on canvas, 120x80cm.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2322 on: June 17, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »
Dude, that is fantastic.  Oils are so hard to get used to (and expensive to get used to.)

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 97
« Reply #2323 on: June 17, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »
Dont question your stuff! Everybody has a different style and a different taste. Working hard is the only way to improve your stuff.
I am at a Art highschool. I learnt a lot in the first 2 years but now i think i'm learning just by myself, experimenting stuff and see if i like, finding my style. I may keep this style for a while, because i found that it works with my kind of painting and i like the result, but next year i dunno, i can change it radically!

Update, finished:

Oil on canvas, 120x80cm.

So good!
staining niggas homework wit his buttjuice

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2324 on: June 17, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
Thanks guys!! Oils are indeed hard to master and expensive. All the mediums, the brushes (bristles are costly), the canvas, etc... i'm lucky that the kind of Painting i do is rather thin and i dont waste that much tubes of oil. You can also try to buy just the student range stuff, its much more affordable (not as good but works). It's what i do since i'm a cheap ass mo'fucker...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2325 on: June 18, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
Those paintings are incredible, holy shit!

Also, Frenchfry, it's okay to question your stuff but it's crucial to be constructive with your own questioning. Don't let it turn you off. Keep that productivity goin and you'll find your own style before you know it.  :)

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2326 on: July 10, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »
Do any PALS here have a history with safely shipping art in a cost-efficient manner? I'm starting a webstore pretty soon but I've always been hesitant because I'm aware of how tedious of a process shipping art can be.

I'm referring to shipping canvas paintings, painted decks, framed artwork, etc.

Thought I'd throw it out there on here and talk to people who might be familiar with the process before researching random sites on Google. Any tips are appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:40:54 PM by doublesteveburger »

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
« Reply #2327 on: July 12, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
I'm trying to do a contour portrait of my friend, but I'm not very good and I've never done contour drawings before so she keeps looking like a hag. Any tips for contour drawing?

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2328 on: July 12, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »
Do any PALS here have a history with safely shipping art in a cost-efficient manner? I'm starting a webstore pretty soon but I've always been hesitant because I'm aware of how tedious of a process shipping art can be.

Thought I'd throw it out there on here and talk to people who might be familiar with the process before researching random sites on Google. Any tips are appreciated, thanks!

If you're unframed, rolled is always the way to go with a sheet of tissue paper over the artwork.  For framed, your best best is to go with the packaging that is actually made for them, where it looks like a little box within a box.  Also, bubble wrap is your friend.  For sources on all that shit, I'd hit up actual galleries as they mail a lot of art.  Good luck, man.  It can get expensive if you're not going bulk.  If you have the option, team up with another gallery so you can go bulk.  I've got a homie who runs a record label and he and two other labels go in together on shipping supplies all the time so they can order in bulk.

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2329 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »

If you're unframed, rolled is always the way to go with a sheet of tissue paper over the artwork.  For framed, your best best is to go with the packaging that is actually made for them, where it looks like a little box within a box.  Also, bubble wrap is your friend.  For sources on all that shit, I'd hit up actual galleries as they mail a lot of art.  Good luck, man.  It can get expensive if you're not going bulk.  If you have the option, team up with another gallery so you can go bulk.  I've got a homie who runs a record label and he and two other labels go in together on shipping supplies all the time so they can order in bulk.

Noted! Thanks for the tips, HATE!

Last question for anyone who's familiar, what's most cost efficient to go through? FedEx, USPS, or UPS?

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 91
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com
« Reply #2330 on: July 26, 2016, 11:43:01 PM »

I've been trying out drawing on an iPad recently. It's pretty decent.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #2331 on: July 29, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
I'm breaking anonymity (I'm pretty much a reclusive nobody anyway)

www.alexgorodskoy.com
www.alexgorodskoy.tumblr.com

those last two were drawn with crayola washables  :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:46:38 AM by snowman600 »

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
« Reply #2332 on: July 29, 2016, 05:25:13 PM »
^^^
All of that looks so good. Love the aesthetic.

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2333 on: July 30, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »
^^^
All of that looks so good. Love the aesthetic.

Agreed! The gif is awesome and I really like the colors in the Cops one. Good job!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2334 on: July 30, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
thanks guys! I appreciate it.

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2335 on: July 31, 2016, 12:43:38 AM »
SO good, Alex!

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • I got the internet goin' nuts.
« Reply #2336 on: July 31, 2016, 08:30:43 AM »
I really like all of the sketchbook stuff, but the Riff Raff drawings made my day.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #2337 on: July 31, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »
sick stuff on this page. props guys.

excitableboy

• Rep: 30
« Reply #2338 on: August 01, 2016, 06:05:46 AM »

That gif is Zizek right?

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2339 on: August 01, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »

That gif is Zizek right?

that is correct. went through a zizek drawing phase, there's more on my tumblr..