Author Topic: the ART thread.  (Read 324782 times)

not_ericricks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
Re: the ART thread.
« Reply #2250 on: January 10, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »
I took 8 seconds of my life to create this logo for ronnie creager. Highschool Dropout brand "tag" logo

I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #2251 on: January 10, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
This thread really makes me want to get a Wacom

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2252 on: January 10, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
Not the best photo, but this is a piece I just finished up for a charity auction.  It's famous Kansas City jazz musicians and night clubs.  It's all acrylics.  First time painting in a couple years and I had a lot of fun with it.

god damn this is cool hate!
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2253 on: January 10, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
So good, HATE! Stoked to see what projects you're talking about this year!

This is the latest thing I'm stoked on. Continuing with a theme I messed with all throughout 2016, it felt fitting to end the year off with this piece.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvwzXwBlAI/

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2254 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:57 AM »
I like to make those julian opie inspired portraits

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #2255 on: January 11, 2017, 07:32:07 AM »
So good, HATE! Stoked to see what projects you're talking about this year!

This is the latest thing I'm stoked on. Continuing with a theme I messed with all throughout 2016, it felt fitting to end the year off with this piece.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOvwzXwBlAI/

I followed ya after creeping your page. Fanfuckintastic stuff!!!

I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2256 on: January 11, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
snowman600, I'm still a really big fan of your work. Do you have an instagram or anything where I can see more of it?

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2257 on: February 05, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
Anyone in hear down for an art exchange? I would love to have something up in my room done by a fellow pal. I mainly draw with ink and watercolor over it. I've only started about a year ago but it's been such a great way to relieve stress. I've been lurking this thread and always been fascinated by everyone's work.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #2258 on: February 05, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »
snowman600, I'm still a really big fan of your work. Do you have an instagram or anything where I can see more of it?

damn, thanks!  it's @alexgorodskoy

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2259 on: February 15, 2017, 01:05:09 PM »
Any pals have any experience with doing art on automobiles? There's talks of a pretty large commission that involves doing so but I've never tackled anything of this caliber before. I can't imagine acrylic paint holding up with the conditions a car body goes through, unless maybe I coat it with a type of gloss? Gonna scour the internet for tips but if anyone has had experience with this I'd appreciate some input.

Also, hope this thread keeps delivering, you dudes are inspiring and very talented. Stoked this thread exists.

:)

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2260 on: May 28, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »
Was literally thinking about this thread today. That mock up is sick, Distant!

Any pals have any experience with doing art on automobiles? There's talks of a pretty large commission that involves doing so but I've never tackled anything of this caliber before. I can't imagine acrylic paint holding up with the conditions a car body goes through, unless maybe I coat it with a type of gloss? Gonna scour the internet for tips but if anyone has had experience with this I'd appreciate some input.

Also, hope this thread keeps delivering, you dudes are inspiring and very talented. Stoked this thread exists.

Funny thing about this post, here's the outcome! Hope pals are still arting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUfyBQjjmOP/

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #2261 on: June 02, 2017, 03:39:57 AM »
AWS graphics.

I'm going to do some magenta ones next.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:05:54 AM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2262 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:22 PM »
Ive been into traditional sign painting for a while. Got to work at a old school sign shop in the Florida Keys for a bit doing signs and lettering boats and shit.  Anyways, here a a small taste of some paint Ive been slinging.

Local skate shop sent me a bunch of mags and socks and stuff while I was laid up hurt.  A little "Thank You" and got to trade some product for art, which is always fine by me.

A old used tool box I made for my homie that helped me out when I was knocked out and pissing myself. Rad dude!

Open/Closed sign for my Homies back in Kentucky. Home is the best and I miss Louisville.

And a little rusty VW saw blade for my buddy's 61 Bug

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2263 on: June 28, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »
really cool ^^ also steve that bus is insane fucking beautiful work
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2264 on: June 28, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »

Everything I just posted is 1 Shot Enamel. Its what all the hot rod pinstripe and letter guys use. Expensive but awesome.  Takes a while to dry, but paints smooth. Takes a bit of practice, and its easy to over dose on huffing turpentine. Lots of youtube videos and some really good painters on Instagram. My shit looks like Michael J. Fox painted it compared to those guys, but I have fun with it and learn something new just about everytime I paint something. 

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2265 on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »

not really art but I got bored and vectorized a BW graphic and got it framed

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2266 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
That's sick, CINCINNATI. Wonder why you don't see more people doing that.

This thread's been pretty abandoned, hopefully pals are still out there doodlin'.
Here's a Bat I painted for a fundraiser.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXjXlwZHQd6/?taken-by=snuggglife

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #2267 on: August 18, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
i was doing a drawing a day but recently stopped. i kept it up for about a year before i decided to lay off and focus on skating and music since i don't think my shits good, here are 2 i really liked
even the steven

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2268 on: August 19, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »

This thread's been pretty abandoned, hopefully pals are still out there doodlin'.

now, when you said you painted a bat, this was not what I expected. Gnars all around anyway

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2269 on: August 19, 2017, 12:37:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

now, when you said you painted a bat, this was not what I expected. Gnars all around anyway

Haha, I probably should have specified in saying "baseball bat", but yeah, this thing was fun to work on.

FFCF - That's rad, I can't imagine committing to doing a drawing a day, kudos.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2270 on: August 24, 2017, 03:56:48 AM »
BUMP. I've been really enjoying turning my sketches into vector art recently. Here's my latest. An ode to Ray.

My Instagram if any Pals 'like': https://www.instagram.com/alexperrydesign/

CINCINNATI

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2271 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
BUMP. I've been really enjoying turning my sketches into vector art recently. Here's my latest. An ode to Ray.

My Instagram if any Pals 'like': https://www.instagram.com/alexperrydesign/

so nice. instantly knew who it was before I read it was ray from the bs no comply haha

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #2272 on: August 24, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Haha, I probably should have specified in saying "baseball bat", but yeah, this thing was fun to work on.

I didn't even realize you did paintings/drawings, until you mentioned it in another thread.

There's some impressive stuff on your insta. I'm really into the tiny "Trailer Trash" book.

And yeah Cincinnati, that's a pretty cool idea. Looks good.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2273 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
I've been trying to write. Does anyone here write? I don't want to ask my classmates, even though I know some do. I'd like to see some nice resources, online, if possible.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2274 on: August 27, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »
I'm an English minor, so I have to write stuff like book analyses pretty often, but have never written any fiction, even though I want to.

It's like I'm too self-conscious about it, to even write just for myself. Hopefully I'll get over it.

You might find this interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_journey

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2275 on: August 27, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I didn't even realize you did paintings/drawings, until you mentioned it in another thread.

There's some impressive stuff on your insta. I'm really into the tiny "Trailer Trash" book.

And yeah Cincinnati, that's a pretty cool idea. Looks good.

Thank you!

Yeah, that tiny book came out of a joke I had made to a friend about how I can never bring myself to finish an entire sketchbook. With normal sketchbooks, I tend to rip pages out for reference or end up chucking them out. My friend worked at a goodwill and found a complete dollhouse set and this little book came with it so she gifted it to me. "Now you can finish an entire sketchbook".
It's almost full and the entire thing is filled with fractions lyrics to songs I can't get out of my head on certain days and a tiny image to go along with it. Seems silly, but it's actually pretty therapeutic.  ;D

If you follow the hashtag on the caption to that little book you can see a series of them.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2276 on: August 29, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »
I always wind up hating my papers when I look back on them. Like I said, pretty self-conscious/critical.

The only thing I can think of that I'm still proud of, is a 20 page paper on factors effecting the prevalence of interracial marriage within the U.S. But that was for my Anthro major, and I don't think anyone wants to read all that.

That "Hero's Journey" concept, was super helpful for me, to begin understanding and analyzing story structure though.
That wikipedia page is pretty daunting in its length and depth, but there's a ton of good info in there.

wheelies

« Reply #2277 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
I found acrylic paper and gave my first painting a go since elementary. I got real high off weed and didn't have paint so I used grape mio, pineapple mio, needle blood, and blue food coloring. It looks stupid as fuck all cut fucking fancy style but whatever. I'm stoked on how you can move the colors around and kind of shape them, and I got a itching to find alternative "paints" to use, so I'm stoked. Steveburger paintings gave me motivation for a new way to waste my time on earth.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #2278 on: August 29, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »
Art is dumb, what does it accomplish??

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2279 on: August 29, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »
Irritating people like you.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.