Author Topic: running into pros  (Read 31449 times)

notcool

running into pros
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
i just randomly saw ed templeton at santa cruz beach boardwalk. he had his camera and his wife with him. i was like wtf then he disappeared into the crowd. i wanted to say whats up and show him my toy machine tattoo but felt like i might be invading his space. i regret it in the long run.  anyone have any good run ins with pros or regrets?

swanronson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
Re: running into pros
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »
I went on a trip to New York (from Australia), just when the diamond store opened up and thought I would check it out, walked in and Danny supa greeted me at the door, was pretty out of the blue and hyped

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
mark appleyard at target years ago in huntington beach said no way he will ever work a J O B
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

maxi-pad

• Rep: 23
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
I used to work at a little pet shop in SF, and Elissa Steamer came in there a few times. I was always friendly with her and all that but never brought up any skate shit. She was pretty low-key every time she stopped in so I didn't wanna put her on blast or anything like that, but of course in retrospect I totally wish I would've

maxi-pad

• Rep: 23
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
Also got into an Uber one time and Chico Brenes was behind the wheel

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
I don't think he ever went fully pro but I know Dallas Rockvam and have friends that grew up skating with him. ? I also saw Riley Hawk sitting at a table at a restaurant. ? I didn't think it was him till I checked Instagram the next day and his band was playing that city.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
Skated with Chris Haslam 4 years ago randomly. He's a super nice dude.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »
When I lived in Atlanta, the restaurant I worked at was the hot spot for out-of-town teams. The Vans team, sans AVE, Dill, and Rowley, all came by on their last filming trip for Propeller in 2014; the New Balance team came in last fall; and the Quasi team came in several times last October.

Ran into Julien Stranger at a bar when the Vans team was in town in 2014 and I mentioned it to him (thinking he was with them) and he just said "yeah, I heard they were here, super random." So tight.

Bobby Worrest would spend random weeks down there, and one night I gave him a ride to trucker bar karaoke. He sat bitch, which I respect immensely.

Since moving to New York, beyond seeing people at the obvious hangouts, Alexis Sablone came into my work with a significant other the day I started; I saw Cyrus Bennett and Fat Bill cruising down Canal and Delancey, respectively; I passed Pete from Bronze trying to ride a bike with two girls on it last Friday in Brooklyn; and I walked by Popps in Union Square the other day.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
I use to see Stevie Williams all the time last year. At the skatepark, at random "urban" events. The mall. I think his condo was in the same building as a friend of mind, based on his insta.

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
Pulled up to a little shitty prefab park to find the entire zero team warming up for the day. Nick Boserio was such a rad guy to skate with.  Jamie was actually pretty cool too.

EDIT- Also got to skate with David Clark and Grant in Atlanta. Ran into them at the old DIY there. They are both ridiculously good.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:14:16 PM by Bensquirts »

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
I worked at a cafe in the East Bay and Cairo Foster and Karl Watson were regulars- would always say what up and and have a chat cause i saw em at other parks, spots etc. Back in like 2002 I saw Steve Williams at a airport and he approached me and said what up - being like 14 i was sooooo hyped it made my decade - it was crazy too cause he was coming back from Keenan Miltons funeral
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

notcool

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
I worked at a cafe in the East Bay and Cairo Foster and Karl Watson were regulars- would always say what up and and have a chat cause i saw em at other parks, spots etc. Back in like 2002 I saw Steve Williams at a airport and he approached me and said what up - being like 14 i was sooooo hyped it made my decade - it was crazy too cause he was coming back from Keenan Miltons funeral

I know Karl he is so nice just so grateful.

ElissaSteamersTits

• Rep: -16
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »
I used to work at a little pet shop in SF, and Elissa Steamer came in there a few times. I was always friendly with her and all that but never brought up any skate shit. She was pretty low-key every time she stopped in so I didn't wanna put her on blast or anything like that, but of course in retrospect I totally wish I would've

I would be fangirling so hard.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
I ran in to Dave Abair at the bar a few months ago. Could tell he wasn't used to drunk dudes fanning out, or even knowing who he was. I also think he thought I was someone else.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:25:40 PM by Level 60 Dwarf Paladin »
you never know about pre-cum 

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 07:08:17 PM »
First that comes to mind, even though I don't remember if he went pro, was Jani Laitiala. Him, TX and some other dudes were skating my local spot and Jani was just chilling nearby where I was,dude farts hella loud and says "smells like strawberries" laughing.

Another good one is Darren Navarette and Jon Ponts trying to find a room in Vegas at the Fremont (where I worked front desk) this turned out to be that "It could've been a Buddy Holly story" Thrasher article. They had on the pilot hats and everything,so rad.

I literally ran into Jeff Lenoce beat boxing to himself leaving virgin records once.

I met Jeff Grosso at Hot Topic,which is embarrassing yet funny.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Vx Vision

• Rep: -6
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
Took a bus to Sf w all my friends when we were in high school once and ended up running to the supreme team at DLX and then later went to clipper too see it bc it was supposed to be torn down. Then ran into them again when KB was doing that pop shuv bs 50-50. Was mad awkward running into them twice in one day and strobeck was high as shit nd ended up heckling my friend who was trying a fuck around trick

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
Pulled up to a little shitty prefab park to find the entire zero team warming up for the day. Nick Boserio was such a rad guy to skate with.  Jamie was actually pretty cool too.
must have had permission to rip ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »
Ran into Appleyard in a herb shop a couple times. Even shot hoops with him in a Chucky Cheese style hoop while waiting to get tended to. I was chuckling on the inside.

Riding the bike one time on a 4th of July one year I saw Andrew Allen riding bikes with the rest of his family... he waved.

Saw Tempster at the pier a bit of times as well as riding bikes with Deanna. His house is oddly enough right behind my work.

Also, oddly enough Brian Sumner lived across the street from me for a few years and I also work with his father in law.

Tosh and his wife useta get deli meats sliced by me all the time and my sister in law was his daughters teacher for a couple years. 

When I was clocking off of work one night I saw Jonas Wray checkin out. I wouldn't have noticed him except for the fact that he had a Media shirt on in like 2011.

John Lucero shops at my work on occasion. BS'ed with him about slappys, the Post Office curb, and how the team's doin all while weighin chicken breasts out for him.

Around the time of Stay Gold Marquis Preston came through... He got some chicken tenders. I hooked him up.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 08:25:48 PM »
Alexis Sablone came into my work with a significant other the day I started

During Christmas '14 holidays I visited Boston/Cambridge with my gf. We went to a hipster type of coffee spot right in front of MIT, somehow Alexis Sablone was there drinking a cup right in front of us. So, in my french Canadian language I told my clueless GF how odd it was that while in Cambridge, we we're sitting in front of one the best female skateboarder that was in WHL. Then, right after I said the word Xgames (which can't be translated), she just starred quickly in my eyes, grabbed her cruiser board and left.

Saw her 2 more times that day, just cruising around in freezing cold weather, getting coffees at multiple locations and pushing on her own. It was awesome.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
I think I posted this story on here in a similar thread a few years back but in 2010 or 2011 my band was playing a show in New Haven, CT, and after it was over we wanted to grab some food before driving home. So we stopped at this falafel place at 1am and Ellington was in front of me in line. So random. Deathwish just happened to be on tour, haha. I just said hi, told him I skated, asked how he was, and that was that. Boring story but he was super friendly and you don't catch too many pros in New England, let alone at 1am grabbing snacks haha.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
I've met Jamiel Nowpavar--a local pro in MN--on two occasions. He's a nice dude. Not pros but I've seen both CJ Tambornino (RIP) and Jack Olson (back when he was like 16) skating at 3rd Lair, they both ripped. Not me but slap pal gnarwahl and I went to the same high school and a year before I got there, he saw the crailtap guys were skating this six stair in front of it. They shot a chocolate ad in the parking lot.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:36 PM »
Ran into chris cole at the philly airport, he was about to go on tour with zero and mystery, this was like 2007. I asked what the name of the video was, they were touring to premier the new mystery video at the time. It had ads out, that said "black and white tour" but wasn't sure what the name was and he just paused for like 5 seconds and said "ummmmm yeahhhh....I don't know..." still makes me smile.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
met ramondetta and frank gerwer while skating at soma on a trip to sf. both were very friendly and frank and i had a half hour conversation about shoes, he gave me a beer coozie and asked if i wanted 143 thunders, hah.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »
way back in.. 1999 i randomly walked in on Jaya Bonderov at my local shop for a board. Was wearing some es muskas. he asked which ones i wore, he liked them.
rip!

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »
Ran into GT, Chet Childres, Shimuzu and Clark Hassler out street skating in my town. Went out of my way to shake hands with Chet's crooked arm. Shimizu and Clark gave me props on a wallie so that was cool.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »
Coming home for Christmas freshman year I flew from Boston to OC with Rune Glifberg across the aisle from me.  I introduced myself before the flight and we made polite chatter.  A man arrived who was going to sit next to him and asked if we wanted to sit together, which he politely declined. 

My LA ones don't seem as special, but I've been shopping at Trader Joe's and seen Doughnut and Lenoce on separate occasions, got a haircut next to Koston, and had Davis Torgeson in the patio area my group of regulars had claimed for smoking and watching World Cup 16 matches

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
Once 16 or so years ago at my now demolished local a van rocked up and Childress, Cardiel, Carnie and others including maybe Tony Trujillo (I think it was a Vans/Big Brother tour). Cardiel didn't skate but I was sitting next to him on a bench. My friend asked Carnie to do 'something funny', I don't remember his exact wording, but he pissed on the side of the RV they showed up in.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »
In Portland, 2013, I saw Jason Dill smoking cigarettes outside of that coffee shop next to Hungry Tiger Too. He was wearing a Supreme box logo shirt inside out, and I thought he was just a random guy that was trying to look like Dill until I asked him what his name was. He was super nice and polite and easy to talk to. He said he'd just woken up and it was about 3:30 pm. 8/10 would meet again.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:18:24 PM by Wizard Fight »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »
There's this hip burger place that started as a street food van years ago but was so wildly successful that it now has multiple locations in London as well as more around the U.K. And has even gone international. They opened up one across the street from my gaff so close I can see it from my window. One night I went out the front door of my building to walk my dog and as I stepped out and waited for my wife to come down the stairs I noticed Benny Fairfax running across the street with a bag of burgers and fries in one hand and a shake in the other. He was running towards a waiting Uber and when he got in he apologised to the driver for taking so long and said it was really busy in there. He offered the driver some fries but the driver declined. Benny closed the Uber door and they went on there way. Benny has obviously caught the Uber to the burger joint on his way home so I'm wondering how long he made that driver wait and how much it cost him. Adidas/Palace money must be good.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 01:02:19 AM »
i ran into Tj and fat bill filming for cherry around courthouse like 3 times in high school, then tj dated this girl in my precalc class for a minute. i once yelled something dumb at jesse alba at a john wilson premier
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5