Author Topic: Skater killed in NYC hit and run  (Read 2867 times)

Dontfearthereefer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
Re: Skater killed in NYC hit and run
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »
Dang kid skated right into that car. Not stopping is so fuckin scummy though

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »
Everywhere heads be careful. Always assume the driver of any vehicle does not see you.

As for chasing your board into traffic... boards can easily be replaced.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:29:29 PM by tkp »

Ineffable Epoch

• Rep: -77
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 05:04:49 AM »
Too young, rip...

I thought the same after watching the video used in the piece of news. But I also found the raw footage, and after watching it a couple times it seems that the driver slows down before turning right, which could be a sign for the boy to cross the street. Then the car hits the boy and driver speeds up. Whatever truly happened, this is fucked up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0l9k3NUp2g

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 02:38:10 AM »
Everywhere heads be careful. Always assume the driver of any vehicle does not see you.

Also goes for bicycles and going on foot. Anyone with a license knows that it is easy to overlook something in the mirror. Shitty situation and the skater should have at least slowed down, he did not have a clear path.

underknowledge

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:08:46 AM »
i think a lot of us can relate to almost getting hit by traffic. This is tragic and sobering. Although I'm very prudent the second story  almost happened to me. Ollied up a curb on a cruiser board while going down hill, shoot out and jumped into a street after my board without even looking with a bus going full speed. it was a fucking reflex didn't even think. the bus had to break but luckily it had a couple of meters to do so.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
Wow RIP to the skater, it's crazy such a quick instant could end so tragically.

I skate in the street every day, keeping my head on a 360 swivel and I get out of the way if I see a risk. Just the other day I was skating down a hill and cut it onto the sidewalk then carved around a corner and almost pitched myself into a lane of traffic that would have had me right in line of a uhaul doing 30mph. Shit happens fast and all too often the cars aren't in the mindset that they are protected by 4000 lbs of metal around them and you have NOTHING.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
RIP.

I hate to be this guy but playing in traffic is fucking dangerous. And in certain situations, pretty dumb.

Skating street doesn't mean you have to play Frogger. Bombing hills or weaving through traffic in NYC is a thrill and looks good on video. That said, I'm afraid people don't get that you have zero control over drivers or debris on the ground. Pick your spots wisely. Be careful.

raw

• Rep: -42
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:29 PM »
jesus christ that doesn't even look real.. so fucked up

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »
Makes me think twice about my dumbass power sliding at cars
I know I have the board control but I can't control rocks and drivers

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
This really sucks and as someone mentioned before is easy to relate to because of the way we all fuck around in and with traffic. I got hit by a small truck when skating in the street. I was completely at fault but luckily am able to talk about. Be careful out there.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
Too young, rip...

Expand Quote
[close]
I thought the same after watching the video used in the piece of news. But I also found the raw footage, and after watching it a couple times it seems that the driver slows down before turning right, which could be a sign for the boy to cross the street. Then the car hits the boy and driver speeds up. Whatever truly happened, this is fucked up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0l9k3NUp2g

To me it looks like the driver was looking left the entire time and didn't see the skateboarder. Possibly slowing down a bit to because they thought an oncoming car was coming? Only possible explanation is the driver was looking left which is what you do while making a right turn. Fucking shit move to not stay after hitting the kid. If it's found out that they saw the kid the entire time they should be thrown in prison. Don't understand why the kid didn't fucking stop though.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
god damn thats so sad. rip