Author Topic: I'm creating a skate game! DEMO is Out!  (Read 28883 times)

SkateRide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
I'm creating a skate game! DEMO is Out!
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
-------------- edited post ----------------

Demo is out on itch.io
https://skateride.itch.io/skateride

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Feedback / Support / Questions / Mailing List
[email protected]

-------------- original post ----------------

I've been working on  a skate sim for a while.  1st Look on SLAP!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrApq6WCxgM

I'ts for Window PC and a controller is recommended (xbox 360 default).

I 'm no programmer so I use http://www.stencyl.com/, witch let me use math and logic to "code" everything.

I'm a skater so I kind of create this game for me. The goal is to land tricks you like and just enjoy skateboarding.

More Info:
You can unlock new map by landing specific gaps. You can try to find gaps by skating the map or you can enter HYPE mode and land asked tricks/obstacles to unlock gaps locations.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Skate-Ride-157884118092221/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:26:23 PM by SkateRide »

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
Re: I'm creating a skate game! check it out!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
Honestly, its not bad. Reminds me of those Game Boy THPS games but more advanced & realistic. Cool stuff

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »
blunt to fakie on the bank to rail was nice, but what was that body varial doing in there? possible to get a revert to switch stance ?

Nora9

• Rep: -81
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:43:03 PM »
whaaaat this looks sick good job

Nora9

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »
if u made it online with contests u got a banger

SkateRide

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
Honestly, its not bad. Reminds me of those Game Boy THPS games but more advanced & realistic. Cool stuff
A more advanced & realistic THPS GBA is a good description. thx for the feedback!

That's a really good idea, but online is not my "expertise". I might check it out or ask someone about this.
*Add to Notebook: investigate online for contest ;)

blunt to fakie on the bank to rail was nice, but what was that body varial doing in there? possible to get a revert to switch stance ?
yeah about that body varial, I wanted to show that you can change side but I rarely use it and prefer doing an half cab or go switch.

The Y button control the stance. By holding it, the skater change stance (body varial), but just tapping it make the skater change between reg/nollie or switch/fakie.
I made a quick video without the body varial... and finish it with the trick in your sig! 8)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr3WDPwQbUU

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A more advanced & realistic THPS GBA is a good description. thx for the feedback!

Expand Quote
[close]
That's a really good idea, but online is not my "expertise". I might check it out or ask someone about this.

Expand Quote
[close]
yeah about that body varial, I wanted to show that you can change side but I rarely use it and prefer doing an half cab or go switch.

The Y button control the stance. By holding it, the skater change stance (body varial), but just tapping it make the skater change between reg/nollie or switch/fakie.
I made a quick video without the body varial... and finish it with the trick in your sig! 8)

fuckin rad man, keep up the good work

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »

are you going to try and get this up on steam?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 11:11:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Looks better than a lot of the mobile apps that have been clogging up the works lately.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 02:23:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Looks better than a lot of the mobile apps that have been clogging up the works lately.

Seriously!! I would pay for a app like this for sure. All the tricks look proper and it seems really entertaining.
One cool thing would be to have maps of real spots, and recreate famous lines/tricks to progress and unlock stuff.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

SkateRide

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
are you going to try and get this up on steam?
Yes! and now with Steam Direct, no need to Greenlight your game anymore. I'm looking into it.

Hey thx man. I don't like Mobile skate game. I think skateboarding is complex and need a bunch of input from the player. Tilting , swapping, touchscreen are not enough to get the right feel. I start develop for mobile but quickly realize I need a gamepad for better control and freedom so I change to PC.

Seriously!! I would pay for a app like this for sure. All the tricks look proper and it seems really entertaining. One cool thing would be to have maps of real spots, and recreate famous lines/tricks to progress and unlock stuff.
thx, I usually use the word app only for mobile, to be clear I'm developing for PC Windows. Is this something you would still pay for it?

For the maps, I really want to do real spot but now the engine does not support many obstacles and only one transition (35 deg). On top of that, I find it hard to do textures and environment artwork. It take me times and still look weird at the end.
I want to have different maps (street spot, plaza. ditch, alley, ...) and try to incorporate some famous spot in there. It might not look exactly the same but should be familiar. I'm open to suggestions!

I like the idea of recreating famous lines to progress. Listening the The Nine Club always make me nostalgic and it could be cool to have some "skate history" in the game. But not gonna lie, coding all this would be hard... so this idea is more for SkateRide2 notebook.

Here's a new video about how to unlock gaps and acquire points for new map:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEwQ2aLLhR0&

thx for the feedback guys.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
looks really fun, but can it be played with a regular keyboard instead of a controller? i don't have one but would love to try the finished game
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 07:31:32 AM »
depending on how deep the game gets i would drop a couple bucks on steam for it. so far looks pretty appropriate for the 5.99-10.00 bracket.

looks really fun, but can it be played with a regular keyboard instead of a controller? i don't have one but would love to try the finished game

was just about to ask about this this--

if is was gonna do it i think WAD movements, space to ollie right click + mouse controls flick/flip
double tap A or D to "insta-rotate" hold it down to slow rotate

the question would be to grinds
im not sure if r + wasd directional (add imputs for e and q to get crooks d and a would be board and lip z and c would be smiths/feebles x would be 5-0) would be more intuitive than right click/mouse movement.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Nora9

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
u guys are onto somethin

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
Yo this us fuckin sick.

coreaf

• Rep: 22
  • sick
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
How far out are you from releasing this? Looks sick!

SkateRide

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
How far out are you from releasing this? Looks sick!
I can't wait to get my game out there. Should be this year. It will be faster to put it on itch.io than Steam.
In term of work left, I got maybe a month left of debugging/polishing but it's the maps creations that will take time and don't want to ship with just a few of them.

The game is design around a controller but it's possible to play with the keyboard.

I uploaded some images on my facebook that covers the control scheme for keyboard, controller and how to do grinds.

keyboard:
https://www.facebook.com/157884118092221/photos/a.171350353412264.1073741829.157884118092221/171350380078928/?type=3&theater
controller
https://www.facebook.com/157884118092221/photos/a.171350353412264.1073741829.157884118092221/171350376745595/?type=3&theater
How to grind
https://www.facebook.com/157884118092221/photos/a.171350353412264.1073741829.157884118092221/171350390078927/?type=3&theater

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:21:18 PM by SkateRide »

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
Port this to the Nintendo Switch and I will be forever grateful.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
this looks better than that true skate tech deck bullshit ive been seeing, only thing i would like is a little bit more zoomed in camera angle but besides that it looks promising, and like someone else said reminds me of that tony hawk underground 2 gba game i had/have

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
I love the isometric, Skate or Die look of this. Stoked on it.

SkateRide

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
Port this to the Nintendo Switch and I will be forever grateful.
Stencyl don't support console yet. There's a thread about it with good progress, but nothing official. I think it would fit perfectly on switch.

this looks better than that true skate tech deck bullshit ive been seeing, only thing i would like is a little bit more zoomed in camera angle but besides that it looks promising, and like someone else said reminds me of that tony hawk underground 2 gba game i had/have
thx. For the cam, I got you covered! There's 3 level of zoom available and you can change them in the settings. Using the Right D-PAD in-game cycle through them.

I love the isometric, Skate or Die look of this. Stoked on it.
thx. There's something about isometric that feel good.

I upload some images of maps on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Skate-Ride-157884118092221/photos/?tab=album&album_id=180843882462911

I want to do another youtube vid explaining the flip speed by showing the different way to do a FS flip.

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 04:25:18 AM »
Yo this us fuckin sick.

I agree with this guy

poptart pete

• Rep: 95
  • i like my asses fat not flat
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:34 AM »
damn that looks very entertaining. looks better than that "olli" game
RIP T.Dog

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
What's the latest? Really looking forward to this. Any way to support you with a couple of bucks for sandwiches and beer?

SkateRide

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
hey thx! didn't play olliolli very much. The combo gameplay work well with skateboarding and I understand how it could be addictive, but it's too unrealistic for me.

What's the latest? Really looking forward to this. Any way to support you with a couple of bucks for sandwiches and beer?
ahah! sandwich and beer some awesome!  but don't have anything setup yet for donations. If you have any request for the next video or questions about the game or need clarifications, just ask (facebook, gmail or here).

For the latest, I'm putting work each day after work/family.
I'm close to finish the menu with different layout for controller/keyboard.
I got 8 map done, some need retouch, and aiming for 10.
After that, I need to do some debug and optimization. Got one nasty bug (FU grind-2-grind) and some minor stuff.
To finish, I need buy the Stencyl licence, some business stuff and setup the launch. I looked into Steam and will take time to figure it out, so I'm looking for itch.io to start.

Still of bunch of stuff to do, but it progress nicely. It's hard to tell when it's gonna be ready, working hard to be this year.

Here's my latest vid about different way to FS Flip
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJkhrxKEL0

more than 10 000 views! thanks SLAP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 06:12:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
hey thx! didn't play olliolli very much. The combo gameplay work well with skateboarding and I understand how it could be addictive, but it's too unrealistic for me.

Expand Quote
[close]
ahah! sandwich and beer some awesome!  but don't have anything setup yet for donations. If you have any request for the next video or questions about the game or need clarifications, just ask (facebook, gmail or here).

For the latest, I'm putting work each day after work/family.
I'm close to finish the menu with different layout for controller/keyboard.
I got 8 map done, some need retouch, and aiming for 10.
After that, I need to do some debug and optimization. Got one nasty bug (FU grind-2-grind) and some minor stuff.
To finish, I need buy the Stencyl licence, some business stuff and setup the launch. I looked into Steam and will take time to figure it out, so I'm looking for itch.io to start.

Still of bunch of stuff to do, but it progress nicely. It's hard to tell when it's gonna be ready, working hard to be this year.

Here's my latest vid about different way to FS Flip
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJkhrxKEL0

more than 10 000 views! thanks SLAP

Good work man! I hope there's a mobile app in the plans for the future. I really like the no bullshit, arcade'ish feel on it and it looks like a good way to spend some dead time.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
looks good dawg. cool to see people making cool, non-derivative stuff with these more accessible game dev tools. I have been farting around with Construct 2 which is very similar to Stencyl. Good luck!

Wutangstang

• Rep: -5
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
This looks incredibly fun.

SkateRide

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
Demo is out on itch.io
https://skateride.itch.io/skateride

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

Feedback / Support / Questions / Mailing List
[email protected]

WorstCaseOntario

• Rep: -34
  • what comes around is all around
Re: I'm creating a skate game! DEMO is Out!
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 01:45:43 AM »
pretty fun man, still getting used to keyboard controls but hopefully ill be able to get an xbox controller that plugs into my laptop soon.

also can you change your character in the demo? because when i change mine it just stays the same