Author Topic: Evidence for God  (Read 51370 times)

tobey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
Re: Evidence for God
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
Does anyone know this lame christian movie where a teacher said god existed then one of her pussy students texted his mom saying he was dramatized in the classroom? For some reason this is annoying me because I can't think of the name 

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »
Wait quick google search and found it

LOLLLLLLLLLLL how can a kid be this much of a pussy? Also that teacher is a witch, Christians can't get anything right

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2201
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
Wait quick google search and found it

LOLLLLLLLLLLL how can a kid be this much of a pussy? Also that teacher is a witch, Christians can't get anything right
Now I know what to watch later tonight,thanks

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Bible also accounts for God being infinite, eternal, immaterial, etc.
[close]

That's very problematic. Just because something is written doesn't make it truth or fact.
[close]

Good point. So then we need to look at the evidence in support of the Bible. The Bible has more internal, external, manuscriptural, statistical, and archaeological support for it than any other book from ancient history. If you are open to the evidence, and follow it to its logical conclusion, you might see that the Bible is a reliable source for truth claims about God, Jesus, faith, salvation, humanity, history, etc.

I actually laid some of the evidences out with D2L a while back.

Please let me know what you think.
[close]

I think that the Bible is an amalgamation of centuries of previously told stories and myths, from multiple cults and religions, all rolled into one book. It seems pretty straight forward if you look at the evidence.

On the contrary, if you look at the evidence, the Bible has stood the test of time as the most supported Book from ancient history. The Holy Scriptures are supported internally, by thousands of manuscripts, supported by world history, archeology, etc.

But, if you would like to present some evidence in favor of your claim, I will gladly read what you have to say.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »
Expand Quote
questions from an agnostic bored to death by obnoxious atheism and obnoxious monotheism:

if one god can bring itself into existence/have always existed, what precludes that possibility for a 2nd 3rd or 4th god, (etc.)?
couldn't an infinite number of gods have come up into existence at the same moment?
using the argument from the first video, why does each mind have to be made in the image of the same god? couldn't each mind be an image of a different god? couldn't parts of minds come from different sources?

why do people do people involved in organized religion make assumptions about things they know they cannot possibly comprehend?

[close]

hume covered that in dialogs concerning natural religion

Somehow in the flurry of multiple debates, I just noticed that you had posted a video to make your points on Hume and was able to watch it this morning.

Some thoughts.

The arguments for the fine tuning of the universe are very strong, and, in my understanding do not fail by being made from analogy. In fact, a) the analogy holds strong when you think of it as coming across the universe with all of its dials perfectly set for life to be present on earth, it is simply the logical conclusion to believe that "someone had been dialing in the physics" of the universe. In fact, Christopher Hitchens made a taxi cab confession of the strength of the fine tuning arguments sometime before his death. He also asserted that even if he could drive religion out of the world, that he wouldn't do so.

What is more, b) evolutionary Big Bang theorists make cosmological claims taken from the micro-scale as well; like when they assert that the cosmic singularity at the beginning of the universe is likened to a fluctuation at the quantum level, and so forth.

Bottom line, when analyzing arguments, there are good analogies and bad analogies; the question is, then, if an argument from analogy is presented, does the analogy accurately represent the facts of the natural world? which the design arguments for God, in fact, do.

There is another connotation of the term Analogy that is important in religious discussion about God. Hume's dialogue rightly expressed that to try to project human characteristics back upon God is "gross", but the univocal mode of predicating (i.e., human and God's characteristics are the exact same) God's attributes is not the way to speak about God anyway. And, equivocal predication (i.e., that no finite language can accurately express anything about God) leads to self refuting agnosticism.

So, analogous predication is the way to go. That is, humans have similar characteristics to God, but we have them in a finite sense, while God has them in an infinite sense. Humans can and do express love, but our love comes and goes and experiences change. God can and does love, but His love is unchanging and has no ebb and flow to it. Humans have limided knowledge, God has infinite knowledge, and so on in an analogous sense.

But, God does have certain attributes distinctly different humans, simply because humans were created and are thus finite. That is, God is uncaused, infinite and immaterial, while humans are caused, finite, and material. This is the metaphysical gap that separates God from man insofar as being is concerned, but we can still understand a great deal about God through natural reason and special revelation in an analogous sense.

As far as morality goes, the entirety of Hume's dialogue presumes the existence of a standard of right and wrong on which to make the various cases for God's abilities. In other words, how are any in the dialogue saying that anything is evil or that there is such a thing as evil, etc.? To make such meta-ethical claims presupposes God's existence as moral arbitrator.

Moreover, it is important to note, in the context of Classical Theism, that this world we live in is not the best possible world, but rather is the best possible way to the best possible world, which is Heaven.

God has allowed evil to be in the world as a concomitant factor to the gift of human free will. God can and will defeat evil at the consummation of all things at the final judgement (note: Jesus judicially defeated evil at the cross) but until the Final Judgement the world suffers evil as a privation via the Fall of Adam and Eve.

Further thoughts, there is no such thing as "finite perfection" as finite beings can gain and lose characteristics, they are caused by another, effected, limited, prone to err, etc.. and thus cannot be the most perfect conceivable being (i.e., God). Also, Dostoevsky's 'wicked God' is impossible because God, by His very nature, is perfect, and wickedness is far from a perfection.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:14:05 AM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #245 on: October 08, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »
[expletive] Simon. Go away.

I am here simply because I firmly believe what I believe in, and thus it would be un-loving for me to not come on here every once in a while to share faith.

Years ago, Atheist Penn Jillette expressed how Christian beliefs should rightly lead to evangelism, and he shows appreciation for those who respectfully share faith with him:

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #246 on: October 08, 2017, 09:40:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seven pages of no evidence. Tight thread Simon. You still in SJ?
[close]

I live in Murrieta CA now. Its about 30 mins north east of Fallbrook, CA.

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

[close]
Talk to me as soon as churches give up their tax exempt status.
[close]

People in these debates often reference the 'separation of Church and state' and your issue with the tax status of the Church in the US is the proper application of that separation. Nevertheless, the Church is global (that is, it extends far beyond the US), and if/when you want to have a pointed discussion about Jesus, the Lord of the Church, then just let me know.
[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

Well, as the Bible says, there are none good. Maybe take the Good Person Test when you get a chance. Thanks for coming out, man.

Are you a good person? Take the test: http://www.needgod.com/004.shtml
According to that I'm going to hell, and it said I should be co concerned. That's fine, because none of that shit exists.
you never know about pre-cum 

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #247 on: October 08, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

That's very problematic. Just because something is written doesn't make it truth or fact.
[close]

Good point. So then we need to look at the evidence in support of the Bible. The Bible has more internal, external, manuscriptural, statistical, and archaeological support for it than any other book from ancient history. If you are open to the evidence, and follow it to its logical conclusion, you might see that the Bible is a reliable source for truth claims about God, Jesus, faith, salvation, humanity, history, etc.

[close]

I think that the Bible is an amalgamation of centuries of previously told stories and myths, from multiple cults and religions, all rolled into one book. It seems pretty straight forward if you look at the evidence.
[close]

On the contrary, if you look at the evidence, the Bible has stood the test of time as the most supported Book from ancient history. The Holy Scriptures are supported internally, by thousands of manuscripts, supported by world history, archeology, etc.

But, if you would like to present some evidence in favor of your claim, I will gladly read what you have to say.

The evidence is there. You can easily find it on your own if you are interested.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: October 08, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
You should consider enrolling in some theology and relevant history courses at a globally respected university, it may have a big effect on your understanding of history, Christianity and the Bible. It's sounds like your perspective has been really narrowed by "born again" and fundamentalist ideology. I think it would really help to put things into context and make it easier to share you faith with others in a more helpful and practical way.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

[close]
[close]

People in these debates often reference the 'separation of Church and state' and your issue with the tax status of the Church in the US is the proper application of that separation. Nevertheless, the Church is global (that is, it extends far beyond the US), and if/when you want to have a pointed discussion about Jesus, the Lord of the Church, then just let me know.
[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

Well, as the Bible says, there are none good. Maybe take the Good Person Test when you get a chance. Thanks for coming out, man.

[close]
According to that I'm going to hell, and it said I should be co concerned. That's fine, because none of that shit exists.

I firmly believe that there are consequences for unbelief. I think there is sufficient reason to believe that the Bible is true, and therefore there exists a God who will judge the world and individuals according to their deeds. If you were to stand before God on judgement day and be judged according to your own merit, how would you do? If not so well, then that is where Jesus comes in. He gave His own life so that those who trust Him as Lord and Savior can have forgiveness of sins and everlasting life.

Just some things to consider.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #250 on: October 08, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The evidence is there. You can easily find it on your own if you are interested.

I have familiarity with both sides of the debate (I am actually currently reading "What Kind of Creatures Are We?" by Atheist Noam Chomsky).. If you have some specific examples that have convinced you against Christianity, I am interested.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #251 on: October 08, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
You should consider enrolling in some theology and relevant history courses at a globally respected university, it may have a big effect on your understanding of history, Christianity and the Bible. It's sounds like your perspective has been really narrowed by "born again" and fundamentalist ideology. I think it would really help to put things into context and make it easier to share you faith with others in a more helpful and practical way.

Again, this is the usual genetic source fallacy. My background (i.e., sources) of research do not affirm or disqualify my arguments. They either stand or fall according to the rigors of logic and the facts of the universe.

If we were in a formal debate, and you simply chided my education (which is more of an attack on me, rather than my arguments) you would technically be losing the debate, even by the standards of unbiased moderators.

I am currently in the midst of a respectful critique of "What Kind of Creatures Are We?" by one of the most intellectual atheists in the US, Noam Chomsky. I have a general understanding of the way he is arguing, as well as understanding what I believe. That is, I have sufficient knowledge to comprehend both sides of the issues.

If you have any specific challenges against Christianity, I will take a look at them.

Cinco

« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #253 on: October 08, 2017, 01:43:11 PM »
The implications of the visual are that God is somehow fully responsible for all of the evil and suffering in the world.

Can you explain this to me a bit further?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #254 on: October 08, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
I wasn't debating Christianity at all and find it bizarre that you even felt the need to bring that up, as I made the no statement on the truth or fallacy of any aspect of it. It's clear you are not getting through to people, and there is a reason for this. I just wanted to suggest some things to help broaden your perspective and ultimately share the positive aspects of Christianity with people instead of getting bogged down in fundamentalist semantics. Since you seem to aspire to some type of scholarship, why not undertake a rigorous course of study in your areas of interest from a well respected university?

I also made no statements on your current level of education, hardly a chiding.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
I wasn't debating Christianity at all and find it bizarre that you even felt the need to bring that up, as I made the no statement on the truth or fallacy of any aspect of it. It's clear you are not getting through to people, and there is a reason for this. I just wanted to suggest some things to help broaden your perspective and ultimately share the positive aspects of Christianity with people instead of getting bogged down in fundamentalist semantics. Since you seem to aspire to some type of scholarship, why not undertake a rigorous course of study in your areas of interest from a well respected university?

Fair enough. If I misunderstood what you were saying, then no biggie. But, the implications are that you seem to think that I don't know what I am talking about.

So I am curious, on what specific points do you think that I am off as far as Historical Christianity is concerned?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #256 on: October 08, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »

You can respond to my previous reply too if you feel led. But, I think I might be seeing what you are saying. And, the reason that I have not brought up the positive social aspects of Christianity yet is because no one has asked about it at this point.

There are several that come to mind off the top:

- We have education in America because of the Church (schools started out in Churches, and our universities, even the ones you suggest that I go to such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. all started out as Protestant Seminaries).

- Modern hospitals were started in the US by the Church (and other religious organizations too)

- The Church has founded successful substance abuse programs, such as the Salvation Army (that also reaches out to the homeless)

- Evangelicals are stepping up big time as far as thwarting global human trafficking.

- The Church outdid FEMA as far as Hurricane Harvey relief aid went.

- In fact, the Church has the potential to serve as the largest global distribution network of goods and services to the world.

- Christians have made outstanding contributions to science (we stand on the shoulders of giants such as Newton, Galileo, etc.)

- Three dimensional art came out of the Western Church.

- etc.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: October 08, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fair enough. If I misunderstood what you were saying, then no biggie. But, the implications are that you seem to think that I don't know what I am talking about.

So I am curious, on what specific points do you think that I am off as far as Historical Christianity is concerned?
  I don't think you need to argue all these historical points as truth, to justify the moral and philosophical value of the gospels. I think taking a fundamentalist stance on these issues, which most people will never accept, undermines and impedes you from sharing with people their core teachings of love, forgiveness and understanding, which is their true value I'm sure you'll agree.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

[close]
[close]

I firmly believe that there are consequences for unbelief. I think there is sufficient reason to believe that the Bible is true, and therefore there exists a God who will judge the world and individuals according to their deeds. If you were to stand before God on judgement day and be judged according to your own merit, how would you do? If not so well, then that is where Jesus comes in. He gave His own life so that those who trust Him as Lord and Savior can have forgiveness of sins and everlasting life.

That's fine that you believe that. I believe the opposite, and there's more than sufficient evidence to believe that it's all made up to be a means of social control and oppression. So believe what you want and judge me, but I'll be doing the same over here.
you never know about pre-cum 

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #259 on: October 08, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
If you constantly doubt something there is a reason.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:23:28 PM by Manolo »

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
That's fine that you believe that. I believe the opposite, and there's more than sufficient evidence to believe that it's all made up to be a means of social control and oppression. So believe what you want and judge me, but I'll be doing the same over here.

Simons response

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
Hi Simon, I'm a Muslim. Just two earnest questions:

1) Do you believe that I won't go to heaven due to my religious beliefs, and are you praying for my soul as a result?

2) Do you have any good Andy Roy or Jason Adams stories?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Simons response

whenever I see someone display that message or hear someone say it, I chuckle to myself, and think "I'm judging your right now." the justice system could judge you as well if you end up in court.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #263 on: October 08, 2017, 10:26:21 PM »

1) Do you believe that I won't go to heaven due to my religious beliefs, and are you praying for my soul as a result?

If he is, then he's praying to the same god that you pray to.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #264 on: October 08, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »
I can smell the stench of this thread all the way from Useless Wooden Toy Banter

MarkeMark

• Rep: 0
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
If we could know everything about God, he wouldn't be much of a God. In our own human minds we seem to always make ourselves God and place a real God in a box and assume that God had parents just like us, thats our mentality, Infact when I found out Jesus is God and that it was God's plan to come and experience our existence and make a way for us and show us true love. When you realise that God wants you to live life to the fullest then you'll realise the rules the bible talks about keeps you and others from harming one another you'll  realise how much God loves you.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
If we could know everything about God, he wouldn't be much of a God. In our own human minds we seem to always make ourselves God and place a real God in a box and assume that God had parents just like us, thats our mentality, Infact when I found out Jesus is God and that it was God's plan to come and experience our existence and make a way for us and show us true love. When you realise that God wants you to live life to the fullest then you'll realise the rules the bible talks about keeps you and others from harming one another you'll  realise how much God loves you.

Confirmed God is gay as fuck

sheboyganheadben

• Rep: -21
  • shotgun to the dick
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Confirmed God is gay as fuck

i suck dick for trukfit

"One time I was on mushrooms and I was skating vert and it was kill. Everything turned into sequences. Kickflips would be like: click, click, click...It was Kill"-Darren Navarette

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
when people do things like what is going on in this thread, it bums me out because it forces this whole g-d = religion idea down peoples throats, give a very 2d version of what "g-d" is (or is not) and when people like me say they are a believer people just automatically makes people think we are antiscience,, judgmental, or irrational.   although what i'm about will probably bum out a lot of people and and make me look kooky as hell i just want to lay it out.

anyone who spends enough time walking in deep woods knows that there is something greater than the human mind and human ability.  there is a flow to nature that just makes much sense.  everything just meshes together and works out.  everything is indivisibly interconnected that it became very clear every part of "nature" is a piece of one unit.  after being able to see this you can just start to "feel" the "presence" the whole, and understand that the whole can feel your presence.  that ability to perceive that presence is a muscle just like any other and once you start to use it, you can see it in places where its more subtle.  you start to see where things that seem so far apart come together to create these magical things or moments (my favorite tongue in cheek example is this absolute incredible moment: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/syrian-refugees-meet-furries-surreal-scene-vancouver-h-article-1.2559408  ... i mean thinking how the entire history of humanity pretty much led up that one moment and the events set into motion boggles my mind.  ive spent literal hours thinking about the events that had to take place for this one absurd moment to come together). i perceive it as a flowing immoral feeling, i spoke with someone who sees it as a gentle push that makes sure the clock keeps working.  i hate the word g-d (yet too many years of religious schooling prevents me from even writing the word in its entirety so take what i have with a grain of salt) its so limiting.  whatever it is really cannot be boiled down to one word, because its infinite and everything and everything.  whatever it is it it cannot be boiled down to one book or messenger.  if i wrote a brief and only cited one case i would be laughed out of court.  if i wrote a research paper and only used one source my research paper would be (rightfully) tossed out the window.  there can be no definitive answer because something definitive is limited and it cant be limited.  i think there is a great power that can come from understanding the flow of reality and understanding what "you get out what you put in" really means on a metaphysical level.

this is an extremely surface level, introductory, view of what i think i know.  if you have any questions... hike more.

i guess my TL;DR version would be: not everyone who considers themselves a believer depends on one book, or found their answers in a building. not everyone who believes in a higher power is anthropomorphizing it. lastly spend more time in the woods.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »

wait a second follow up question for simon....

Im a jew-- who is more right me or AA? who are you praying for harder? who would win in a cage fight Moses or Mohammad? would your answer change if there was a no magic, no items, fox only, final destination?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.