Author Topic: Evidence for God  (Read 51249 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Evidence for God
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Hi Simon, I'm a Muslim. Just two earnest questions:

1) Do you believe that I won't go to heaven due to my religious beliefs, and are you praying for my soul as a result?

[close]

wait a second follow up question for simon....

Im a jew-- who is more right me or AA? who are you praying for harder? who would win in a cage fight Moses or Mohammad? would your answer change if there was a no magic, no items, fox only, final destination?

As someone who was raised Baptist, I think I can field this one for you Simon:

You're both going to burn in hell.

I was taught that Catholics burn in hell, so Muslims and Jews DEFINITELY burn for all eternity in the lake of fire, gnashing your teeth and ripping out your hair. It's a shame that you were born into the wrong religions, guys.

But I'll be there right with you. Even though I WAS born into the correct religion (Protestant, particularly of the Baptist variety), I really messed things up with the whole queer thing.

God sure is judgy!

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »
Nobody is going anywhere.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

1) Do you believe that I won't go to heaven due to my religious beliefs, and are you praying for my soul as a result?

[close]

Im a jew-- who is more right me or AA? who are you praying for harder? who would win in a cage fight Moses or Mohammad? would your answer change if there was a no magic, no items, fox only, final destination?
[close]

I was taught that Catholics burn in hell, so Muslims and Jews DEFINITELY burn for all eternity in the lake of fire, gnashing your teeth and ripping out your hair. It's a shame that you were born into the wrong religions, guys.

But I'll be there right with you. Even though I WAS born into the correct religion (Protestant, particularly of the Baptist variety), I really messed things up with the whole queer thing.

God sure is judgy!

He gotcha big time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nz2ZC_60g8

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

God sure is judgy!

Hahaha

Love you both

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seven pages of no evidence. Tight thread Simon. You still in SJ?
[close]

I live in Murrieta CA now. Its about 30 mins north east of Fallbrook, CA.

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

[close]
Talk to me as soon as churches give up their tax exempt status.
[close]

People in these debates often reference the 'separation of Church and state' and your issue with the tax status of the Church in the US is the proper application of that separation. Nevertheless, the Church is global (that is, it extends far beyond the US), and if/when you want to have a pointed discussion about Jesus, the Lord of the Church, then just let me know.
[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

Well, as the Bible says, there are none good. Maybe take the Good Person Test when you get a chance. Thanks for coming out, man.

Are you a good person? Take the test: http://www.needgod.com/004.shtml
[close]
According to that I'm going to hell, and it said I should be co concerned. That's fine, because none of that shit exists.
[close]

I firmly believe that there are consequences for unbelief. I think there is sufficient reason to believe that the Bible is true, and therefore there exists a God who will judge the world and individuals according to their deeds. If you were to stand before God on judgement day and be judged according to your own merit, how would you do? If not so well, then that is where Jesus comes in. He gave His own life so that those who trust Him as Lord and Savior can have forgiveness of sins and everlasting life.

Just some things to consider.
[close]
That's fine that you believe that. I believe the opposite, and there's more than sufficient evidence to believe that it's all made up to be a means of social control and oppression. So believe what you want and judge me, but I'll be doing the same over here.

It's fair enough to amicably agree to disagree. Just putting some things out there to consider. It is God who is the ultimate judge, so it is between you and Him, really. Thanks for the chat.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2017, 07:46:36 AM »
If you constantly doubt something there is a reason.

Doubt is a part of any belief system. I have found Christianity to be a stabilizer of doubts. God provides a bedrock First Principle of foundation for belief. So, one need not get blown about by the whirlwind of doubt, or get caught in a regress of doubting the doubts, and then doubting the doubts about doubts, etc. God is the anchor for the soul.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

[close]
[close]

People in these debates often reference the 'separation of Church and state' and your issue with the tax status of the Church in the US is the proper application of that separation. Nevertheless, the Church is global (that is, it extends far beyond the US), and if/when you want to have a pointed discussion about Jesus, the Lord of the Church, then just let me know.
[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

Well, as the Bible says, there are none good. Maybe take the Good Person Test when you get a chance. Thanks for coming out, man.

[close]
According to that I'm going to hell, and it said I should be co concerned. That's fine, because none of that shit exists.
[close]

I firmly believe that there are consequences for unbelief. I think there is sufficient reason to believe that the Bible is true, and therefore there exists a God who will judge the world and individuals according to their deeds. If you were to stand before God on judgement day and be judged according to your own merit, how would you do? If not so well, then that is where Jesus comes in. He gave His own life so that those who trust Him as Lord and Savior can have forgiveness of sins and everlasting life.

[close]
That's fine that you believe that. I believe the opposite, and there's more than sufficient evidence to believe that it's all made up to be a means of social control and oppression. So believe what you want and judge me, but I'll be doing the same over here.
[close]

Simons response

HA! And God will. But, He will do so according to the imputed rightnesses of Christ.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2017, 08:00:19 AM »

2) Do you have any good Andy Roy or Jason Adams stories?

Hey Adam. I do believe there are consequences of unbelief, but I get this from Jesus Himself who says “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6 ESV cf. Matt 5:29-30; 8:12; 10:28, etc.).

I also think a contrasting comparison between Jesus and Muhammad is a worth while study (and, i would be willing to take up that discussion if you are willing).

All that being said, I did just add you to my prayer list.

I spent one entire summer traveling around and skating with Andy. He was obviously always up to a lot of extracurricular antics, but the best part about hanging out with him was that he killed it at every skate spot. Something does come to mind as far as antics go: There was the time when Andy sensed he was going to get kicked off of Santa Cruz during the big pants small wheels era. So we dressed him up in a bunch of baggy skater/raver type clothes and he went around the entire Santa Cruz Skateboards office facility saying "look guys, I'm fresh! I can be fresh too!" etc. The plan didn't work.

Jason Adams was/is just super cool. I am amazed that he never went off the scene and/or became washed up then having to make a comeback. He just stayed the course, from AM, to rookie pro, to established pro, to old pro, to masters/legend status. Only a handful of skaters have pulled that off.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2017, 08:02:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nah, I'm good.
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Simons response

[close]

whenever I see someone display that message or hear someone say it, I chuckle to myself, and think "I'm judging your right now." the justice system could judge you as well if you end up in court.

This is true. Life actually necessitates making judgment calls all the time. And there are hired people called Judges that arbitrate civil matters, etc.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If he is, then he's praying to the same god that you pray to.

Respectfully, there is a difference between the Christian God and Allah of Islam. Most notably, the Christian God is a Trinity (Father, Son, and Spirit) whereas Allah is a strict unity. Moreover, the Christian God is incarnate as the Son, Jesus Christ; conversely, Allah (according to the Koran) emphatically has no son.

Now, both os these views of God can be wrong, but they both can't be right or the same God, based on their stark differences.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wasn't debating Christianity at all and find it bizarre that you even felt the need to bring that up, as I made the no statement on the truth or fallacy of any aspect of it. It's clear you are not getting through to people, and there is a reason for this. I just wanted to suggest some things to help broaden your perspective and ultimately share the positive aspects of Christianity with people instead of getting bogged down in fundamentalist semantics. Since you seem to aspire to some type of scholarship, why not undertake a rigorous course of study in your areas of interest from a well respected university?

I also made no statements on your current level of education, hardly a chiding.
[close]

Fair enough. If I misunderstood what you were saying, then no biggie. But, the implications are that you seem to think that I don't know what I am talking about.

So I am curious, on what specific points do you think that I am off as far as Historical Christianity is concerned?
[close]
  I don't think you need to argue all these historical points as truth, to justify the moral and philosophical value of the gospels. I think taking a fundamentalist stance on these issues, which most people will never accept, undermines and impedes you from sharing with people their core teachings of love, forgiveness and understanding, which is their true value I'm sure you'll agree.

Duly noted. I try out different approaches here and there.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2017, 08:15:32 AM »
when people do things like what is going on in this thread, it bums me out because it forces this whole g-d = religion idea down peoples throats, give a very 2d version of what "g-d" is (or is not) and when people like me say they are a believer people just automatically makes people think we are antiscience,, judgmental, or irrational.   although what i'm about will probably bum out a lot of people and and make me look kooky as hell i just want to lay it out.

anyone who spends enough time walking in deep woods knows that there is something greater than the human mind and human ability.  there is a flow to nature that just makes much sense.  everything just meshes together and works out.  everything is indivisibly interconnected that it became very clear every part of "nature" is a piece of one unit.  after being able to see this you can just start to "feel" the "presence" the whole, and understand that the whole can feel your presence.  that ability to perceive that presence is a muscle just like any other and once you start to use it, you can see it in places where its more subtle.  you start to see where things that seem so far apart come together to create these magical things or moments (my favorite tongue in cheek example is this absolute incredible moment: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/syrian-refugees-meet-furries-surreal-scene-vancouver-h-article-1.2559408  ... i mean thinking how the entire history of humanity pretty much led up that one moment and the events set into motion boggles my mind.  ive spent literal hours thinking about the events that had to take place for this one absurd moment to come together). i perceive it as a flowing immoral feeling, i spoke with someone who sees it as a gentle push that makes sure the clock keeps working.  i hate the word g-d (yet too many years of religious schooling prevents me from even writing the word in its entirety so take what i have with a grain of salt) its so limiting.  whatever it is really cannot be boiled down to one word, because its infinite and everything and everything.  whatever it is it it cannot be boiled down to one book or messenger.  if i wrote a brief and only cited one case i would be laughed out of court.  if i wrote a research paper and only used one source my research paper would be (rightfully) tossed out the window.  there can be no definitive answer because something definitive is limited and it cant be limited.  i think there is a great power that can come from understanding the flow of reality and understanding what "you get out what you put in" really means on a metaphysical level.

this is an extremely surface level, introductory, view of what i think i know.  if you have any questions... hike more.

i guess my TL;DR version would be: not everyone who considers themselves a believer depends on one book, or found their answers in a building. not everyone who believes in a higher power is anthropomorphizing it. lastly spend more time in the woods.

I understand where you are coming from. I agree on several fronts; i.e, nature getting one to ponder the Ultimate and the Highest Principle necessarily being beyond finite grasp, etc.

I personally think the Bible is important, I think a communicated source from the Ultimate to humanity is key to understanding the world. And, I believe the Bible holds up to scrutiny, such as cross examination of the internal and supporting evidence, etc.

There is no need for these discussions to be a bummer. SLAP is actually a good platform for diverse viewpoints and pointed discussion.

Anyway, if you are open to me praying for you, might you have any prayer requests? Also, if there is anything else you need that I might be able to provide, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:28:58 AM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I spent some time off and on in AA. While I am 17 years sober now by the grace of God, I don't use the AA program any more.

I personally see the deity of AA and the deity of Judaism as being incomplete understandings of God. But, I would say to look beyond just my understanding and do some further research yourself.

I am wondering, as a Jew, have you read the entire Old Testament yet? If so, have you read the New Testament yet just to see where it is coming from? Again, just curious.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:25:46 AM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2017, 08:24:07 AM »
If we could know everything about God, he wouldn't be much of a God. In our own human minds we seem to always make ourselves God and place a real God in a box and assume that God had parents just like us, thats our mentality, Infact when I found out Jesus is God and that it was God's plan to come and experience our existence and make a way for us and show us true love. When you realise that God wants you to live life to the fullest then you'll realise the rules the bible talks about keeps you and others from harming one another you'll  realise how much God loves you.

Makes sense to me. And, that is the most important thing, above and beyond all the argumentation, is that God is pure love and through faith in Him one can experience the joys of love and forgiveness, etc.

bawtawd3

« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2017, 09:38:22 AM »
Your acting as a regurgitator, same way of speach, same words as everyone else who attempts to preach. You bring nothing new to the table. I find it pretty pathetic. If your thoughts arent invented on your own but through the bible, just tell us to read the bible and leave it at that. Your serving no purpse being a middleman of ideas.

Pigeon

« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
Why did God intelligently design buttholes to be round? Why did he not pick a triangle or an octagon?

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
I just wanna give a major shout out to the Catholics and God, because of them I was able to drink alcohol at the early ages of 4th and 5th grade. I played football for a catholic school team but I went to public school during this time, anyway we as a team had to go to Sunday church before our games in our football jerseys. So during the eat the body of Christ and drink the blood of Christ I would take my little cracker and then take a big chug of the red wine. I didn't know it was alcohol then but I remembered it tasted glorious during those days, thats what made the brutal 45 minute church all worth it. All my other teammates were pussy's and never got the wine though. I think they stopped doing the blood of Christ to the public because of me and now only the priest drinks it   

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: October 21, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doubt is a part of any belief system. I have found Christianity to be a stabilizer of doubts. God provides a bedrock First Principle of foundation for belief. So, one need not get blown about by the whirlwind of doubt, or get caught in a regress of doubting the doubts, and then doubting the doubts about doubts, etc. God is the anchor for the soul.
It's a golden prison for your mind. The truth is cold and nobody is walking on water.

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #288 on: October 21, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
I just wanna give a major shout out to the Catholics and God, because of them I was able to drink alcohol at the early ages of 4th and 5th grade. I played football for a catholic school team but I went to public school during this time, anyway we as a team had to go to Sunday church before our games in our football jerseys. So during the eat the body of Christ and drink the blood of Christ I would take my little cracker and then take a big chug of the red wine. I didn't know it was alcohol then but I remembered it tasted glorious during those days, thats what made the brutal 45 minute church all worth it. All my other teammates were pussy's and never got the wine though. I think they stopped doing the blood of Christ to the public because of me and now only the priest drinks it   

Aww, so you were that boy the priests would get drunk and fondle? Would they tell you to close your eyes before you took the little "cracker" in your mouth?  Did the "cracker" seem more like a sausage or some kind of meat stick?  Did they convince you that the true traditional way to take the "cracker" is through the anus?  Is this why you can relate with Bruce from Family Guy?  God bless tobey

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2017, 06:38:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aww, so you were that boy the priests would get drunk and fondle? Would they tell you to close your eyes before you took the little "cracker" in your mouth?  Did the "cracker" seem more like a sausage or some kind of meat stick?  Did they convince you that the true traditional way to take the "cracker" is through the anus?  Is this why you can relate with Bruce from Family Guy?  God bless tobey

You aren't very good at this. Did I really upset you that much that now you are gonna follow me from thread to thread to try and make fun of me? Good luck with that

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
The way I see it, religion is just a tool used by those who have the economical and political power to control the people.
They just ask people to have faith on god.

Why is that guy the king who can decide who dies, who goes to war, who lives? Because god decided it.
Why? Nobody knows, you just have have faith on god's decisions.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It's a golden prison for your mind. The truth is cold and nobody is walking on water.

So, you are saying that miracles are impossible (such as Jesus walking on water)? Just curious as to what grounds you would say that they are not possible to happen. In other words, what is your argument against the possibility of miracles?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #292 on: October 22, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
The way I see it, religion is just a tool used by those who have the economical and political power to control the people.
They just ask people to have faith on god.

Why is that guy the king who can decide who dies, who goes to war, who lives? Because god decided it.
Why? Nobody knows, you just have have faith on god's decisions.

It has been misused in this sense before, obviously. But Jesus and the Apostles did not operate in this manner. I think they are the ones to look towards when it comes to true religion.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #293 on: October 23, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
20+ pages = evidence for god is weak, unconvincing, and inconclusive at best
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2017, 05:40:10 PM »
20+ pages = evidence for god is weak, unconvincing, and inconclusive at best

Yeah definitely not something worthy of killing people over. Over 150 millions to this day.

phalanx

• Rep: -2
« Reply #295 on: October 25, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »
Well that settles it.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #297 on: October 26, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
Well that settles it.

Totally. After that video we can all agree that we are even more atheist.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #298 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Well that settles it.
[close]

Totally. After that video we can all agree that we are even more atheist.

after that video i agree that i need a fucking drink. god damn.

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #299 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »
You see what god did to us man???