Author Topic: Seattle vs. Austin  (Read 4649 times)

Pigeon

Seattle vs. Austin
« on: August 14, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
I only got job offers from these two cities, after submitting my resume and applications to 300+ companies in the past two weeks. Since, I'm futon-surfing, I want to make a decision by the end of the week and move out as soon as possible.

things that matter to me:
- weather
- marijuana laws and prosecution
- how cool or nosy people are
- amount of places and parks to skate
- skate shops & local scene
- cost of living
- places to hike/kayak/camp
- public transportation
- dog friendliness [I want to pet-sit, aside from volunteering at an animal shelter.]

Thanks, in advance. Although, I am doing my own research, it would be nice to have the perspective of people who live or have lived in either cities.

Cinco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: Seattle vs. Austin
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
Here's some things you probably already know about Seattle:

It rains a ton during fall winter and spring, but it's super nice during the summer
Weed is legal so it's like totally chill
People tend be reserved and can be passive aggressive as fuck
Tons of great parks within a 60 mile radius

JAesop

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »
From my brief experience Austin =hot as fuck in summer.
Weed is not legal. Texas loves to lock people up...for all sorts of bullshit.
Cost of living seems close to the same in both cities, Seattle probably a little higher.
Likely more friendly people in Austin. More laid back style anyway.
Good shops and parks.
For hiking/ outdoors stuff the terrain is def. more varied in Seattle. The hill country south of Austin is nice though.

Never lived in Seattle but if I thought I could handle the winters I would live there first.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
seattle hands down

coneklr

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
I'm also a developer in Seattle and a transplant ( from Northern NY/Vermont )

It is expensive as fuck here!

From May - Oct it's beautiful and there are a shit ton of parks and outdoors things to do ( and is easily one of the most beautiful places I've been in the country).

From Nov - Apr it's wet most days to some degree.

There is a shit ton of recreational weed shops.

Depending on where you live and where you work, commuting can be a pain in the ass via any means.

pm me if you want to chat more about anything here.  I hope this helped

Pretty Serious

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
I only got job offers from these two cities, after submitting my resume and applications to 300+ companies in the past two weeks. Since, I'm futon-surfing, I want to make a decision by the end of the week and move out as soon as possible.

things that matter to me:
Seattle
- weather *adaptable
- marijuana laws and prosecution *smoke it up
- how cool or nosy people are *not that cool, not that nosy
- amount of places and parks to skate *a lot
- skate shops & local scene *check
- cost of living *redonkulously high...but everyone seems to work it out
- places to hike/kayak/camp *check check check
- public transportation *adequate, getting better
- dog friendliness [I want to pet-sit, aside from volunteering at an animal shelter.] *dogs > humans

Thanks, in advance. Although, I am doing my own research, it would be nice to have the perspective of people who live or have lived in either cities.

Pigeon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Thanks for the help.

I just got hit up for a interview in Palo Alto, but I'm familiar with the Bay. I didn't realize that rental costs in Seattle are almost the same as SF. If I can't get the job, I'll definitely choose Seattle.

One last question: Do people often speed up and drive next to curbs when there are puddles of rainwater, to splash people?

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
I no longer live in Austin, but it's a great city which is growing rapidly and getting very expensive. It's 90+ degrees like 6 months of the year, and to be honest, you never really get used to it. It has a decent skate scene, and I consider House Park to be one of the best parks anywhere. Public transportation is decent, at least around downtown. Plenty of outdoors stuff to do in the surrounding hill country. Super dog friendly.

At this point if I had a choice between the two cities, I'd pick Seattle. I've been trying to escape the Texas heat for a while now. It's real.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »
I no longer live in Austin, but it's a great city which is growing rapidly and getting very expensive. It's 90+ degrees like 6 months of the year, and to be honest, you never really get used to it. It has a decent skate scene, and I consider House Park to be one of the best parks anywhere. Public transportation is decent, at least around downtown. Plenty of outdoors stuff to do in the surrounding hill country. Super dog friendly.

At this point if I had a choice between the two cities, I'd pick Seattle. I've been trying to escape the Texas heat for a while now. It's real.

Housepark is so fucking good. I really miss skating there (I live a block away from The Cove, a skate away from Stoner Plaza and a quick drive to the venice park and house park kills them all.

Austin/round rock have plenty of parks and diy (rip legoland)
summer weather is hot, i loved it, winter can get cold, like hat and gloves cold rain never really got in the way
it's pricey, but where isn't that's a cool place to live?
dogs everywhere, bars, chicks, lakes, hikes, trails

I'd probably still be there if I didn't have to move to this shit hole LA

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
Thanks for the help.

I just got hit up for a interview in Palo Alto, but I'm familiar with the Bay. I didn't realize that rental costs in Seattle are almost the same as SF. If I can't get the job, I'll definitely choose Seattle.

One last question: Do people often speed up and drive next to curbs when there are puddles of rainwater, to splash people?

Yah but you ring your bell twice and say.....'on your left!'

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 06:23:20 AM »
we picked austin over seatle, colorado, portland, etc... because it's cheaper and we prefer warm weather to cold.

seatle seems really nice but for me i rather live where my money goes further.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:19 AM »
Is your job off in Seattle in the city? Do you plan on having a car? I grew up in Seattle so feel free to shoot me a PM for specifics.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Pigeon

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
Yeah, it was in downtown, but I took too long to reply to HR. The position is already filled, so Seattle is no longer an option for me.