Author Topic: Is old man style inevitable?  (Read 6573 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Is old man style inevitable?
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
And what causes it? Skating less often than when you're younger? Just aging of the body? Is it possible to avoid somehow? Or at least reduce the development of? I don't wanna get it too bad and I try by skating pretty often but I don't know if it's working. I never had an awesome style to begin with so it's hard to tell. I don't want old man style on top of that. Maybe there's a way to get it but have it look good.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:57:57 PM by ChuckRamone »

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
Re: Is old man style inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
Be Peter Pan's neighbor,I hear in that hood no one grows up.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 05:02:41 AM »
I think a lot of it isn't necessarily to do with age, but how much you are moving your body. I.e. a 30 year old who sits in an office 40 hours a week will almost definitely have a more stiff style than a 40 year old who stretches every day, cycles to work, skates a few times a week etc.

AndimGonnaKillYewNeow

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 05:12:54 AM »
I think a lot of it isn't necessarily to do with age, but how much you are moving your body. I.e. a 30 year old who sits in an office 40 hours a week will almost definitely have a more stiff style than a 40 year old who stretches every day, cycles to work, skates a few times a week etc.

That sedentary lifestyle is a silent killer. They say sitting is the new smoking! 
The best bet is to keep skating while doing some complementary workouts to keep the body up to speed!
Daily Running/Sprinting, Squats/weighted squats, jump rope if you can, while skating every day to keep that age, illness, and disease away...
It's fun to stay true to the routine as your peers melt away into their lazyboys, completing their only earthly task to reproduce and then become fat and bald as they first were when they entered the world! Keep up the good fight!

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:51:39 AM »
"It's not the age it's the mileage", I'd kill to my lazy pop leg suck back but it ain't happening.
Now I gotta try, and nothing looks worse than somebody trying.
I just keep the sessions short, intense and as frequent as life and my body will let me.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 06:17:29 AM »
Learn to skate vert/pools.  Young uns would kill to have style like Scott Oster or Chris Miller.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 06:21:03 AM »
Avoid having kids at all costs. Fuck it, you can even avoid getting married. This way you can keep skating as much as you want and can have an easy life because instead of using your accumulated work experience and long office hours to feed your kids' and wife's ever growing expenses you can concentrate at finishing work early and going skating the rest of the day. My story, I got crap natural style but no "old man style" yet, I hope. I am only 37 so we will see if this works in 10 years from now.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 06:37:47 AM »
Some people don't get old man style as they get older. Enrique Lorenzo

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
WTF is old man style? is that talking about penny's situation?

Dead Horseman

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »
Weeeelll. I guess there's a few Old Man Style's out there.

There's the 70's pro like Steve Olson or something who still "rips" but just doesn't skate that much, and is just obviously getting haggard by age.

Then there's Old Man Style like a wasted bum who is asking to use your board because he skated for a year or two and wants to see what he can still do...

Then there's "Old man Style" by today's youth standards, which could be someone who skated in the 90's but dialed it back and is now stiff.

One thing that really sucks, that I had absolutely no clue about when I was a young buck, is lower Back problems. I'm like Muska on KOTR. I've had bad slipped discs (probably from skating and working on my feet for decades) and it really can effect your ability to take impact. Sucks.

Enjoy your youthful ability to take risks on your board. It's a cliche now, but it definitely doesn't last forever.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
Lower back pain is the real killer, limits so much more than you could imagine.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
I've been skating stiff and slow since the 80's.....truth...tons of kids have weird shitty styles and it makes me feel better....

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 06:25:01 AM »

This.

And bad knees.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »
You lose flexibility and responsiveness too.....stretching and rolling out would help....prolly a yoga class...

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »
Is it not that the standards of skateboarding style change but you're stuck with whatever style you developed and was acceptable early on?
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
avoid thrift stores

Mowoo101

• Rep: 10
  • Nope.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

And bad knees.

Yep.
Doped and drained every 6 months or so.
I'll take a day on board with 3 for recovery, what else am I going to do?
Globe CT 4's. End of.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
'Is old man style inevitable?', is the age old query around the world since people 1st asked questions eons ago. (yes is the answer)  But I guess we can stave it off by strength training stretching cycling and enduring large amounts of pain.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:05:52 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

animalflesh

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
Do lots of planks to strengthen your core muscles and leg lifts, the looseness in your legs will come back to you and your ability to jump without sticking your arms straight out comes back too.

Try and to like every variation of an Ollie or 180 often to keep your balance in check

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »
And what causes it? Skating less often than when you're younger? Just aging of the body? Is it possible to avoid somehow? Or at least reduce the development of? I don't wanna get it too bad and I try by skating pretty often but I don't know if it's working. I never had an awesome style to begin with so it's hard to tell. I don't want old man style on top of that. Maybe there's a way to get it but have it look good.
I wont do certain tricks because my old man style is so bad, you have to keep your back young, do everything you can to hold onto a limber back. start dating a yoga teacher and she will keep you healthy and probably wont want to marry, stretch get a foam roller, keep those abs strong. worse than old man style is wanting to go skate but your back hurts too much and you still go out and pull out your back even more ollieing up a curb. then you uber home crying. also just practice jumping and improve your vertical, lil kids cant say shit about your style if you can nollie over their chin

Sloboldmanstyle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 05:41:20 AM »
I wouldn't say it's inevitable, but just by skatings nature it's tough to avoid. The amount of sprains, broken bones, slams to the hips, torn ligemenents etc that happen throughout a skaters life tend to make the body stiff. At 41 I'm usually just happy I can still skate, regardless of how I look doing it. I've noticed the main thing for me is taking my time warming up. After about 20-30 minutes at the park carving and doing lip tricks my body feels a lot looser and my style feels about the same as in my 20's. Which isn't saying much, but I always have fun and it feels good.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 06:01:44 AM »
I'm usually just happy I can still skate, regardless of how I look doing it. I've noticed the main thing for me is taking my time warming up. After about 20-30 minutes at the park carving and doing lip tricks my body feels a lot looser and my style feels about the same as in my 20's. Which isn't saying much, but I always have fun and it feels good.
this combined with an active lifestyle and plenty of stretching.

and personally, i don't care if my o.m.s. makes kids eyes bleed. i'm older than their parents and my nollie flips are still proper.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That sedentary lifestyle is a silent killer. They say sitting is the new smoking! 
The best bet is to keep skating while doing some complementary workouts to keep the body up to speed!
Daily Running/Sprinting, Squats/weighted squats, jump rope if you can, while skating every day to keep that age, illness, and disease away...
It's fun to stay true to the routine as your peers melt away into their lazyboys, completing their only earthly task to reproduce and then become fat and bald as they first were when they entered the world! Keep up the good fight!

What’s funny is I dream about a job where I just sat all day. I’m 29 and I’m on my feet at all times working. My legs are sore af and the thought of popping a skateboard off the ground is sometimes a chore. I feel like I would have way more energy to skate if I wasn’t standing all day. I’m far from sedentary though. Even if I sat at work I get quite a lot of exercise.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
It's not inevitable, but I assume for most people it's highly likely. The amount of maintenance you must do to avoid it is a lot to ask the average person. Proper diet, working and pushing your flexibility limits, and consistency in doing so. Those are tough tasks. Attainable no doubt but you must also and primarily change your mindset to get there.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »
How is it not inevitable?  What am I missing here?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

shit_for_brains

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »
You either have old man style or you quit skating.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »
kid style is worse

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 09:33:58 PM »
I’ve seen 13-year-old stiff as stones. I’ve seen 55-year-olds smooth as butter.

Is old my style inevitabile? First answer me what is “style,” and what is “old.”
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre