Author Topic: Ollie attempts.... need advice  (Read 8568 times)

Zae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Ollie attempts.... need advice
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
hey I just started skating about 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty good at riding now if I were to give myself a honest rate it would be a 8.5/10.. anyways I really want to learn how to ollie here are my attempts down below please let me know what you think and what I'm doing wrong. I am also new to this page so if I posted this in the wrong spot please let me know thanks.

Here is a link to my video
https://vimeo.com/230818629

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Re: Ollie attempts.... need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:07:34 PM »
For someone who's not even been skating for a month, those are pretty good. It'll come with time but you have to make sure that your tail is striking the ground before you slide up with your foot. It's also easier to do when you're moving.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
I see nothing in particular wrong with your technique. You just need more practice. Keep at it and it'll come. And it's easier to do while moving. Go slow at first.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
The biggest thing I remember struggling with is getting past the mental barrier of sucking up your back leg. It feels weird because everything inside of you is telling you to keep your foot planted so you don't fall (at least it was for me). Once you get past that and bring your back leg up, everything will level out. Like anything, the more you do it the more comfortable you become. Try breaking it down step by step in your head, pop, front foot/leg, back leg. Then do it in quicker succession popfrontlegbackleg and eventually it'll be one smooth motion.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
It's always kind of hard for me to give advice on ollies but here goes. I feel like a lot of people have trouble leveling out the board when they first start skating. Try to stay conscious of the sliding motion of the front foot towards the nose after the pop, it's all about the timing of the pop/slide motion. Another think to keep in mind is bending your knees in the air, I noticed when you jump you keep your back leg kind of straight and your weight looks like it's going that way as well. Your momentum ends up behind you, when you should have a more even weight distribution instead of leaning back.

Feel like words on a screen is a hard way to figure out the ollie, hope it helps. Practice makes perfect and it seems like you got a good pop, you just need to get the motion down. Keep at it dude!

Are there many skaters in the area? Might be easier to learn if you're able to skate with other people.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:41:15 PM »
Much easier to learn when moving for sure. Find some flat ground that has some sort of mark on the ground (painted line or a crack or something) and trying ollieing over it, it will help take your mind of the ollie and make it more natural and hopefully easier to get the hang of.

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
put your left leg down, your right leg up, tilt your head back let's finish the cup
mca w/ the bottle, D rocks the can
adrock gets nice w/ charlie chan

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:02 PM »
Everyone has some good advice here. Also, its hard to tell from the side angle.. But maybe try moving your front foot a little farther back towards the rear trucks (will help the foot slide happen), also try to be a little more on your toes/front of your foot (helps with pop and being able to bend your front foot more). Also sucking up your back leg as mentioned above, and try to do rolling ollies ASAP, even if you're going real slow at first.

AndimGonnaKillYewNeow

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:41:38 AM »
U good-- Start moving with it!

your next step is to get control of an ollie while moving:
-its good to try and ollie little shit before you try to learn how to ollie while going fast.
-find just some cracks to go over and get confident cracking an ollie over them.
Step 3: ollie that/all sewercovers for the rest of your life
step 4: ollie down a curb
step 5: olllie up a curb
step 6: ollie a deck
then you're in kickflip land before you know it, but be wise*

*I speak from experience when I say that Trying to learn to kickflip before learning a solid ollie can lead to shitty results later.
**skating a small box regularly/every day will help with learning to properly level out your ollies.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 08:37:54 PM »
Lots of good pointers here....one more thing you can try is hanging onto something....and lifting your legs as high as you can....just to give you an idea of how high you can actually go.  Overall though you wanna move towards moving.  I live in Canada and it's pretty common to Ollie hockey sticks in your garage or basement.  Or 2x4's are good.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
*I speak from experience when I say that Trying to learn to kickflip before learning a solid ollie can lead to shitty results later.
This. Definitely don't skip steps or else your ollies definitely won't be as good as they can be. I kinda did that, didn't practice my ollies as much as i shoulda and moved straight to other more advanced tricks, and although I have an ok bag of flip tricks now my ollies definitely aren't as high or controlled as they can be or should be. Tackle the basics first and then move on to the other shit.

You don't wanna be one of those skaters who can land a good amount of advanced level flip tricks but can barely even rock n roll on a mini ramp (also me, hah).

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:04:23 AM »
Also, when i first started I'd set up lil soda cans on their side and just try to ollie over that to practice getting the hang of ollieing over things. I also used broomsticks and stuff like that; just little things that you can't really get too worked over if you mess up. Even that can be a little intimidating and uncomfortable feeling at first too though, so if that's the case I'd say just use chalk and draw lines on the ground and draw lil flat gaps that you can practice popping over, if you clip nothing will happen because it's just a chalk line.
From the vid it looks like you pretty much got it though. Just pop and make sure the tail hits the ground, slide your front foot up the board and kinda tug it forward at the same time, then make your back foot become weightless and suck it up in the air and let the board follow along with it, and that's pretty much how you do it.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
it looks like you're keeping your weight centered over your back foot. shift your weight toward your front foot when you jump so that you land with both feet on the bolts. ideally you want to land with both feet on the bolts and your weight centered over the board.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This. Definitely don't skip steps or else your ollies definitely won't be as good as they can be. I kinda did that, didn't practice my ollies as much as i shoulda and moved straight to other more advanced tricks, and although I have an ok bag of flip tricks now my ollies definitely aren't as high or controlled as they can be or should be. Tackle the basics first and then move on to the other shit.

You don't wanna be one of those skaters who can land a good amount of advanced level flip tricks but can barely even rock n roll on a mini ramp (also me, hah).
I third this. My ollies are pretty decent and I can ollie fairly high but I don't think I practiced them quite enough. When I do them, I'll often bring my back leg up too quickly and they look like absolute shit. Make sure you really have them down before you get to learning flip tricks.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Mongoloid

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
Loosen up a bit, you look very rigid.

No really, try to feel as though the board is an extension of your body, and bend at the knees more. Keep shoulders facing straight off the nose or you'll rotate when you ollie.