Author Topic: Slip On or Lace Up  (Read 5716 times)

TheManualDan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Slip On or Lace Up
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:34:11 AM »
What up boys and girls, loving it here so far. Seen some wicked tricks, cool how to's and some sick shoes.

Im gonna be picking up a new pair of board shoes soon, and for the first time in my life I am considering slip on's. Whenever I went boarding before I would always wear some lace up Van's, Globe, or Red Dragon shoes but my friends are trying to convince me to go laceless. What is the general vibe on here? Personally my beef with slip on shoes is just the look; they looks like the slippers I would wear as an angsty teenager. Lace ups shoes might make you look a bit like you are trying to fit in with the kids, but they are dang good shoes when you are manualing through town. What is everyone's opinion on shoes, and bonus points for showing me some shoes I can get online.

After getting through the jokes and the people who don't believe Red Dragon is a brand (Tony Hawk hand designed one of their boards) I found that a lot of people that liked slip ons were fans of a single shoe, or a couple shoes. I decided to stick with what I know best and got some nice Circa skate shoes that were on http://www.used.forsale/mens-skate-shoes-14 and they just got here this morning. I tried them on and have been walking around the house with them (not going skating today) and I remember why I liked these guys so much 10 years ago. Thanks for the advice guys.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:35:28 AM by TheManualDan »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Slip On or Lace Up
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »
i love this post.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
This is fantastic
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Red Dragon shoes
[close]
Is this a thing?

my exact thoughts. google says no. haha Canada is so silly.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

bo golden

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
slip ons.  see how they make andrew allen skate.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »

my local shop had these on sale for $35 awhile back so i said fuck it and bought a pair. they weren't that bad. really comfortable.

the only problem is the shoe fits well at first but after a few sessions the elastic part of the shoe that i guess holds the shoe to the top of your feet gets worn easily and the shoe starts to fit loosely.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:20:12 PM by Big Skatefase »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
I can't stand loose shoes so slip ons would drive me mad. Not digging Vans slips, but Lakai and Gravis made some decent ones i think?

How can you justify 50$ on a 2 piece canvas shoe that's going to hurt if you skate? If you don't do tricks maybe...

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 03:41:14 PM »
I can't stand loose shoes so slip ons would drive me mad. Not digging Vans slips, but Lakai and Gravis made some decent ones i think?

How can you justify 50$ on a 2 piece canvas shoe that's going to hurt if you skate? If you don't do tricks maybe...

I have the lakai x FTC Owen and they haven't packet out on
Me yet. Elastic still tight and holding my foot in place. Hoping they keep it in the line up. Going to scoop the AA vans pro slips when they drop because it's AA. Hopefully I'll be satisfied. It my regular vans slips have always really loosened up. Yeah
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 110
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 04:25:48 PM »
Enjoy your life.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »
Would love to see another cupsole slip on like the TNT Slip on Vans had back in the day

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
the wafflecup slip is one the of most classic and legendary shoes...oh wait, they don't exist.

#vansblowinit

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
I tried on some slip-on pros a while back and my foot wouldn't stay in them. Seemed like the insole was too thick and the ankle was too low and not tight enough (fit nothing like the regular ones).

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 08:17:18 PM »
when you are manualing through town.

Are you Kenny Anderson?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Lorn Au Arcos

• Rep: -4
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 10:25:09 AM »
I tried on some slip-on pros a while back and my foot wouldn't stay in them. Seemed like the insole was too thick and the ankle was too low and not tight enough (fit nothing like the regular ones).

I love vans slip ons but the insole is way to thick. I take them out and put in a thinner insole with better arch support and it makes a huge difference.

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
Would love to see another cupsole slip on like the TNT Slip on Vans had back in the day

was just daydreaming about wafflecup authentics and slip ons yesterday.  would be so good.

TheManualDan

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Red Dragon shoes
[close]
Is this a thing?

[close]

my exact thoughts. google says no. haha Canada is so silly.

They used to be a lot more popular, seems their selection is quite limited. http://www.reddragonapparel.com/

TheManualDan

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 06:18:57 AM »

That was always my thought, why would you want something that is loose when you are skating? Glad to see I am not the only one.

bo golden

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
the trick with slip on's is to buy them a half size smaller.  they might be a bitch to put on at first, but they will end up fitting your foot like a glove and not get loose.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
I'd recommend the Figgy if you are on the edge:

1. It is technically a slip on;
2. but has lace holes in case they get loose; and
3. is also a cupsole with midsole so there's at least a little cushion.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
do any of you cool teens know where I could find some illegal narcotics to use with my older friends who go to a different school?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
do any of you cool teens know where I could find some illegal narcotics to use with my older friends who go to a different school?
do you own a dog?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »
What's the sizing on the slip on pros? Searched and it was too cluttered. I have the lakai owned and wear and 8.5, true to size.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
Is this about corsets? Because if so, definitely lace up. I need to possibly break a rib before I hit the town to paint it red.

Pigeon

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 10:02:30 AM »
What's the sizing on the slip on pros? Searched and it was too cluttered. I have the lakai owned and wear and 8.5, true to size.
Get 8.5. They may be a bit tight at first, but expand after a session or two.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »
What up boys and girls, loving it here so far. Seen some wicked tricks, cool how to's and some sick shoes.

Im gonna be picking up a new pair of board shoes soon, and for the first time in my life I am considering slip on's. Whenever I went boarding before I would always wear some lace up Van's, Globe, or Red Dragon shoes but my friends are trying to convince me to go laceless. What is the general vibe on here? Personally my beef with slip on shoes is just the look; they looks like the slippers I would wear as an angsty teenager. Lace ups shoes might make you look a bit like you are trying to fit in with the kids, but they are dang good shoes when you are manualing through town. What is everyone's opinion on shoes, and bonus points for showing me some shoes I can get online.

After getting through the jokes and the people who don't believe Red Dragon is a brand (Tony Hawk hand designed one of their boards) I found that a lot of people that liked slip ons were fans of a single shoe, or a couple shoes. I decided to stick with what I know best and got some nice Circa skate shoes that were on http://www.used.forsale/mens-skate-shoes-14 and they just got here this morning. I tried them on and have been walking around the house with them (not going skating today) and I remember why I liked these guys so much 10 years ago. Thanks for the advice guys.

You tha man dan. Also.. you know if we ask, you have to tell us right?