Author Topic: The Rules of Skateboarding: James from Labor about skateshop lurking  (Read 20574 times)

ibrowning

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
I've got a new interview with Bobby Puleo, who doesn't really care for wallies these days, on Village Psychic:

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/rules-bobby-puleo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:48:53 PM by ibrowning »
A few interesting quotes but probably not new topic worthy.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
Re: Puleo on wallies
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Good job Ian, keep up the awesome content! I've always liked Village Psychic.

I love how Puleo brings up Rick Howard's wallride in Goldfish at the end of his part, my VHS copy has warped on that part of the tape because of how many times I've played that section back.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:28:10 AM by Matthew_James »
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
God damn, I love Bobby Puleo. I love that although I might think he's wrong on certain aspects and have differing opinions on things (ie I'm a big fan of Suciu), he's super passionate about his beliefs and can actually back them up with logic... although sometimes I'm well aware that his logic may be flawed in many people's eyes.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »
This is the point of view of someone who is stuck in his point of view from a past era and is completely unwilling to accept the newer shit coming out.
Whats next? doing a set bigger than 18 is bad because it take up too much of the frame?

His static 2 part is sick though

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
Wallies are easy and I do too many of them, but they're still fun as you're cruising the city and see that type of spot present it self.
I wish my skating had evolved more over the years but I'm ok with bashing walls and planters multiple times A day.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 12:20:53 PM »
I'm just glad I'm allowed to wallie since I'm old enough to have been around for the first 2 times this trick was legal. At least, I think that is what he was saying.

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »
"Ultimately I don't really care." Proceeds to submit a 1300 word thesis dissecting the birth and death of the wallie chronicles. This is why we love Bobby Puleo. As far as his disdain for the trick goes, all I will say is I'll watch Jake Johnson do 20 wallies in every video part until the end of time.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1168
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
tim oconnor's wallie over the barrier in his first line in EEIII will forever be one of my favorite wallies ever.

also, love Puleo's static/traffic skating (i.e. Slap uniform-brown cords white t-shirt)...but didn't really care for him during his Mad Circle fresh dayz.  I always thought he retreated from the west coast because he couldn't hack it "technical-skating-speaking", so he went back to the east coast to jump on cellar doors and do more basic stuff at harder spots.  so, it does seem weird that he doesn't like taking a basic trick to harder stuff... when his latter career has been taking ollies and nose-grinds to harder/steeper cellar doors.

again, the constant contradictions is the what makes Puleo so endearing to SLAP. 

hardly art, hardly starving

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
tim oconnor's wallie over the barrier in his first line in EEIII will forever be one of my favorite wallies ever.

also, love Puleo's static/traffic skating (i.e. Slap uniform-brown cords white t-shirt)...but didn't really care for him during his Mad Circle fresh dayz.  I always thought he retreated from the west coast because he couldn't hack it "technical-skating-speaking", so he went back to the east coast to jump on cellar doors and do more basic stuff at harder spots.  so, it does seem weird that he doesn't like taking a basic trick to harder stuff... when his latter career has been taking ollies and nose-grinds to harder/steeper cellar doors.

again, the constant contradictions is the what makes Puleo so endearing to SLAP. 

Puleo really needs to make a Slap account and become our new resident pro, I bet he could justify each convolution to our liking...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Pigeon

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Puleo really needs to make a Slap account and become our new resident pro, I bet he could justify each convolution to our liking...
He would probably just post a bunch of links to InfoWars videos, from a public library computer.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
Bobby Puleo is just a purist, and with anyone on the extreme left or right, they may seem a little kooky.
I like what he's saying though, generally.

Skateboarding is divided now between the Art and the Sport.
Anybody can spin on their toes, but we are not all professional ballet dancers. They are not being judged on how many backflips they do.
Skateboarding will always come down to the style and context of the trick. If you did a nollie heel crook on a ledge, don't continue the line with a Ho-Ho plant.
At the end of the day, all the tricks will be done, but the few who did them well will be remembered.

shark tits

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
i'm 40 and wallie be thy name but i get his point. if you remember when a trick went out of style [say varial flips] you have to suspend disbelief to accept it coming 'back in style'.
perhaps most skaters are trendy idiots like matthew james posited in another thread but not the towel. mr p was one man who had had enough of the screw heads, the liars, the skunk pussy.  one day a real rain will come and puleo will get wet for insufficient rain gear. but it's ok, the towel is meant to get wet.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

imagine if there were a Ask Bobby thread like the Ask Karl one.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
Love his serious views on video parts and curation.

Also:
He does a switch wallie grind up that thick pole barrier thing by the bus stop, and that?s it, you know? Boom, done. It should be in his part. It?s cool, and it?s kind of a nod to a time period. Almost like Gonz would have done this.
This is funny because Gonz did do that same wallie grind.

and:
Then its all from this retro perspective. If you're even aware that these tricks were being done 30 years ago.
Maybe Bobby already posts here?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:57:55 PM by Nosferatu »
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
Wallies are fun as fuck, fun never goes outta style. This guy is a kook

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
Puleo hating on specific tricks/ aspects of skating?
I for one am absolutely flabbergasted as this seems so out of character for such a positive beacon of light like him.

That matt reason sequence was the best thing about the whole interview (never seen it before)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sk84fun

• Rep: -42
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
the whole history lesson of the wallie is so fucking stupid. i guarantee no one under 18 gives a shit about anything this guy is talking about. this guy, jeff grosso and whoever the hell else are so fucking annoying. the whole bitterness about how "THATS NOT HOW YOU DO A TRICK! YOURE ARM HAS TO BE AT A 45 DEGREE ANGLE" is such bullshit. at the end of the day, skateboarding is left to the kids to do whatever the fuck they want with it. go find something thats actually worth bitching and moaning about. wallrides will be fucking sick forever

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
I thought that was a great read.

I like his sentiment: There's a time and place for everything. Not everyone is good at picking when that is...
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
He has a point and I would also add to this that the wallride nollie out a.k.a. wallie nollie needs to please go away.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
He has a point and I would also add to this that the wallride nollie out a.k.a. wallie nollie needs to please go away.

not if people can still do them like matt field used to

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

wheelies

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »
There should only be one wallrider in your crew, if there is more than one your pushing it. However, who ever wants to drop in on walls as opposed to going up them is free to do so.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Exactly, but how many people come close?
Even when this trick was getting big lback then I always felt they were lazy and were for people that couldn't do actual wallrides good.
Very very few can make this trick look cool and even then, meh.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Even when this trick was getting big lback then I always felt they were lazy and were for people that couldn't do actual wallrides good.

Shitbag can't wallride nollie confirmed.

Trick is fun as hell and can be done a lot of different ways. It flows smoother than the average regular wallride and I personally prefer how it looks. It's easier though, I'll give ya that.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Trick is fun as hell and can be done a lot of different ways. It flows smoother than the average regular wallride and I personally prefer how it looks. It's easier though, I'll give ya that.
Ahahaha you know what, these days you're probably right! Even when this trick was new and just done sparingly by people I only have done a couple and totally fucking off at that. The question is would I even want to do one and the answer is no, I don't like the trick to begin with.
I feel the same way about these as I do about body varials and shit like pressure flips and late flips.
People generally stopped doing them for a reason, reason being mostly they're wack, but I guess the wallride nollie out is the least offensive of these.
They were not rad to me when they first came out and their trendy resurgence puzzles me but to each his own I suppose.

Donald Rump

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
I like Bobby's skating even though one day my friend pointed out that he looks like a tyrannosaurus rex when he skates cause of his arms.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Ahahaha you know what, these days you're probably right! Even when this trick was new and just done sparingly by people I only have done a couple and totally fucking off at that. The question is would I even want to do one and the answer is no, I don't like the trick to begin with.
I feel the same way about these as I do about body varials and shit like pressure flips and late flips.
People generally stopped doing them for a reason, reason being mostly they're wack, but I guess the wallride nollie out is the least offensive of these.
They were not rad to me when they first came out and their trendy resurgence puzzles me but to each his own I suppose.

They're definitely fitting into the trendy trick group, but I'd agree they're the least offensive. Body varial everything is killing me.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 10:01:48 PM »
wallride nollie is bad cuz most people do it lazily and dont get their back wheels on

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »
Gonz said wallies are his all time favorite trick in the Natas on video. Gonz> Bobby.
Wallrides, wallies, wallride nollies are all fun as fuck.
A wall isn't a spot my ass.
edit: oh yeah, and fuck doing or not doing a trick because somebody says so. You want to talk curating? Do your thing, for better or worse. I had a friend who learned impossibles in '91, never stopped doing them, and suddenly like 5 years ago all his impossibles over, into, and down everything suddenly were the coolest shit ever.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:24:20 PM by Ronald Wilson Reagan »
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

himlor

• Rep: 18
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:19 AM »
I thought that was a great read.

I like his sentiment: There's a time and place for everything. Not everyone is good at picking when that is...

theres really only now. fucka past and a future

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 06:27:04 AM »
It really annoys me that I can do regular wallrides but not the nollie out version. I just end up kicking the wall. There must be a knack to 'em but I'll be damned if I know what it is.