Author Topic: Board sales in 2017  (Read 12352 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Board sales in 2017
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
So I've been watching alot of older footage (the 2000's era) and I was thinking about how big companies like Girl and Plan B were by then, they really were the end of the ladder for someone in terms of sponsorship. I remember seeing a chart showing every company's board sales too and they were topping that as well.
But now it's 2017 and skateboarding is popular and has about 600 million companies that are fairly big, or at least it feels like it.

So with that being said, what company is the "ultimate dream company" to get on now? And also, would anyone happen to have access to one of those charts?

doublesteveburger

Re: Board sales in 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »
Where'd you see this chart back then?

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:35:31 PM »
Where'd you see this chart back then?
I would assume tws skate business, they had some pretty interesting stats and sale numbers.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »
I would have thought today's version would be polar/quasi/fa

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
Quasi, antihero, krooked, fa, primitive, baker, welcome seem to be the most prestigious, honourable mention to polar, creature.

There are those who believe that in sports whoever pays the most is the best, according to that criteria its kind of pointless to name any names, since their value is supposedly just a number that exists somewhere on a "bottomline"

bandwayrules

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
More important than who is the most prestigious board company in 2017 is that being on a prestigious board company doesn't matter.  A good show sponsor seems way more important these days as that is the best at paying the bills, not board sales. 

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
More important than who is the most prestigious board company in 2017 is that being on a prestigious board company doesn't matter.  A good show sponsor seems way more important these days as that is the best at paying the bills, not board sales. 

I agree with this but at the same time I still think your board sponsor is super important. Basically your "coolness" & potential marketability as a pro is mostly determined by your combination of board & shoe sponsors. While your board sponsor might not pay you the most, it gives you that initial credibility which leads to more exposure and other sponsors. If your first sponsor is some company like blind or darkstar, you could be stuck in pro purgatory where you're hooked up but you're only ever gonna be so popular or marketable because usually Nike, Adidas, Vans, etc. aren't fucking with some dude skating for a not-so-popular board company like that so you get stuck skating for a filament or if you're lucky, a DC or Supra type deal where you still might make get some decent checks but overall that same guy is never gonna go as far career-wise as he would be with a Baker/Nike sponsorship. Dude could literally do all the same tricks & have all the same clips in his video parts and the only difference between being another talented internet random and "that new guy to look out for" is the gear he's hooked up with & who he's skating with

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
Board sales are fine, in fact shop boards often are better than pro. Dwindle is China, Element and Primitive are Mexico.

Thousands of trees get chopped down in Canada every day, might as well keep it local.

bandwayrules

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree with this but at the same time I still think your board sponsor is super important. Basically your "coolness" & potential marketability as a pro is mostly determined by your combination of board & shoe sponsors. While your board sponsor might not pay you the most, it gives you that initial credibility which leads to more exposure and other sponsors. If your first sponsor is some company like blind or darkstar, you could be stuck in pro purgatory where you're hooked up but you're only ever gonna be so popular or marketable because usually Nike, Adidas, Vans, etc. aren't fucking with some dude skating for a not-so-popular board company like that so you get stuck skating for a filament or if you're lucky, a DC or Supra type deal where you still might make get some decent checks but overall that same guy is never gonna go as far career-wise as he would be with a Baker/Nike sponsorship. Dude could literally do all the same tricks & have all the same clips in his video parts and the only difference between being another talented internet random and "that new guy to look out for" is the gear he's hooked up with & who he's skating with

I'll definitely agree that an "uncool" board sponsor can cause problems.  But there are so many cool/acceptable sponsors these days that it's definitely way different than when I was coming up and you could easily point to one or two companies as the top...Powell Peralta to the World Industries family to the Girl Family to Zero to Baker...now you could probably name three dozen acceptable board brands, from OGs like Girl and Baker and Antihero to the upstarts like Pizza or Scumco or [insert other cool companies here that I don't know about because I'm an old]. 

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll definitely agree that an "uncool" board sponsor can cause problems.  But there are so many cool/acceptable sponsors these days that it's definitely way different than when I was coming up and you could easily point to one or two companies as the top...Powell Peralta to the World Industries family to the Girl Family to Zero to Baker...now you could probably name three dozen acceptable board brands, from OGs like Girl and Baker and Antihero to the upstarts like Pizza or Scumco or [insert other cool companies here that I don't know about because I'm an old]. 

Pizza is definitely not cool. This is not subjective either, the brand and imagery is literally built around pizza.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:44 AM »
Skateboarding is not popular at all right now.

http://www.goskate.com/declining-popularity-of-skateboarding/

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:58:42 AM »

Thank god! Every other time skating has died, the shitty board sales have gone hand in hand with stylistic development and innovation. Crazy shit always goes down when nobody is paying attention

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Washed Up Guy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 02:23:49 AM »

SIMPLY

• Rep: 30
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
Quasi, antihero, krooked, fa, primitive, baker, welcome seem to be the most prestigious, honourable mention to polar, creature.

There are those who believe that in sports whoever pays the most is the best, according to that criteria its kind of pointless to name any names, since their value is supposedly just a number that exists somewhere on a "bottomline"

You're fucking high if you think these two companies are comparable

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

and i contend that it is you sir, who have taken leave of your senses no doubt by way of illegal narcotics obtained in a dubious manour ( fancy word for crackhouse)

you think polar isn't big in europe? europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 02:08:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

and i contend that it is you sir, who have taken leave of your senses no doubt by way of illegal narcotics obtained in a dubious manour ( fancy word for crackhouse)

you think polar isn't big in europe? europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 02:35:49 AM »
So I've been watching alot of older footage (the 2000's era) and I was thinking about how big companies like Girl and Plan B were by then, they really were the end of the ladder for someone in terms of sponsorship. I remember seeing a chart showing every company's board sales too and they were topping that as well.
But now it's 2017 and skateboarding is popular and has about 600 million companies that are fairly big, or at least it feels like it.

So with that being said, what company is the "ultimate dream company" to get on now? And also, would anyone happen to have access to one of those charts?
My guess is that your board brand defines your "marketability" to an extent. Previously, getting on a crailtap or sovereign sect company would make the big corporate brands take notice and want to pay you big bucks. Currently, I would think FA probably has this same effect. I'm sure Crailtap is also still a big deal, but with them wanting you on Lakai at the same time, limits it.

My guess is, if you just want the biggest check from a board sponsor, you probably ride for a brand like Element. They make money through means outside of just board sales, so they may pay more on the back of that, similar to how DGK was.

I also don't think Plan B was ever big in the 2000's, except maybe a bit after the re-launch. Growing up, I would have thought Alien or Girl were the best brands to be on.

baby dick

• Rep: 7
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think he was gasping at Creature being compared to Polar, not the other way around. I see Polar everywhere, I've seen maybe one Creature product in the wild ever. i was super surprised when you put Creature on that list myself.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think he was gasping at Creature being compared to Polar, not the other way around. I see Polar everywhere, I've seen maybe one Creature product in the wild ever. i was super surprised when you put Creature on that list myself.
For a period of time several years ago Creature outsold every brand by a country mile. Didn't believe it myself but then a friend showed me the stats in one of those Transworld Business mags iirc.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »
Toy for life

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 03:46:28 PM »

Zak

• Rep: -19

DOBIS

• Rep: -3
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
Board sales are fine, in fact shop boards often are better than pro. Dwindle is China, Element and Primitive are Mexico.

Thousands of trees get chopped down in Canada every day, might as well keep it local.

Dwindle Pro boards are all made with Canadian Maple wood, those trees are being used don't worry Tracer.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 05:24:38 AM »
Never seen a Baker board in France.
Lots of Magenta, Polar, Quasi, ...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

coreaf

• Rep: 22
  • sick
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 06:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
For a period of time several years ago Creature outsold every brand by a country mile. Didn't believe it myself but then a friend showed me the stats in one of those Transworld Business mags iirc.

I went to the new skatepark in Jacksonville Beach, FL on a recent trip, and the first two things I noticed were that the park is rad and everyone there was skating a big ol Creature board. They were like a weird gaggle of surfer bros on wheels. Jorts, Sk8 His, and Creature.

Lorn Au Arcos

• Rep: -4
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I went to the new skatepark in Jacksonville Beach, FL on a recent trip, and the first two things I noticed were that the park is rad and everyone there was skating a big ol Creature board. They were like a weird gaggle of surfer bros on wheels. Jorts, Sk8 His, and Creature.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Pretty much nailed every park on the east coast of FL

drcroc

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thank god! Every other time skating has died, the shitty board sales have gone hand in hand with stylistic development and innovation. Crazy shit always goes down when nobody is paying attention

I don't believe those statistics. Isn't the emergence of Braille and Remive proof that skateboarding is super popular right now?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »
I think Revive sells a lot of first skateboards but not many second or third.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »
I always differentiate what I see people actually riding from what shops are carrying. Then again a lot of companies sell direct so that lame youtube shit is accessible to kids starting out and afraid of human contact. One local I go to has had the same Pizza boards collecting dust next to some Tired boards. I remember Creature being huge and everywhere too,people love green and every board was green as grass.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
DLXSF is the best house of companies, in terms of quality of product, prestige, history, team, video/photos...everything.