Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151937 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
kickflips and fs shove its

since i fucked up my flick foot's ankle (1998) i have not landed a single kickflip that was not kebab/rocket so no chance to learn flip crooks or flip nosewheelies or flip noseslides.
with fs shuvs its different. I can pop them pretty-pretty-high (for my level) but they are always uncontrolled  and a hazard for my board and I have never been able to do one into a 5-o or a nosegrind. No control whatsoever, just pop and pray. I think I cannot do that thing when the board goes kind of in front of you like it would for a fs shove it fs five oh but working on it.

I know every ankle and injury is different so what worked for me might not work for you, but I royally fucked my flick foot up in the 90s as well and had total dog shit kickflips for the next like 13 years. I had to not do them for a long time and then start over with them and totally rethink what my body was doing. For all those years I kept kickflipping off of muscle memory like I always did and it would get so frustrating. My flat ground ones are still hit or miss but I can get them into nose and tail slides, and 5050s and 50s and I'm old so I'm sure you can too.

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
kickflips and fs shove its

since i fucked up my flick foot's ankle (1998) i have not landed a single kickflip that was not kebab/rocket so no chance to learn flip crooks or flip nosewheelies or flip noseslides.
with fs shuvs its different. I can pop them pretty-pretty-high (for my level) but they are always uncontrolled  and a hazard for my board and I have never been able to do one into a 5-o or a nosegrind. No control whatsoever, just pop and pray. I think I cannot do that thing when the board goes kind of in front of you like it would for a fs shove it fs five oh but working on it.
[close]

I know every ankle and injury is different so what worked for me might not work for you, but I royally fucked my flick foot up in the 90s as well and had total dog shit kickflips for the next like 13 years. I had to not do them for a long time and then start over with them and totally rethink what my body was doing. For all those years I kept kickflipping off of muscle memory like I always did and it would get so frustrating. My flat ground ones are still hit or miss but I can get them into nose and tail slides, and 5050s and 50s and I'm old so I'm sure you can too.

I keep blaming my ankle but deep inside i know i nust have to man up and re learn them. It will be my goal before i reach 40. Then film flip crooks for a birthday clip, 40 of them  :)
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
BS 180s  :'(

Donald Rump

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 03:53:55 AM »
Almost 15 years of skating clocked in and I'm still trying to do nose manuals

Fucking bane of my existence.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 08:18:20 AM »
keeping with the ankle injuries, for me it's fs flips...rolled mine doing one on flat and been freaked out by that trick ever since..it's such an easy trick but i don't fuck with it
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
anything with a flip hates me but im trying to change that

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »

Go outside right now and try one keeping your eyes on your back foot.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »
dont wanna be that guy who tells people how to do tricks BUUUUTTTTT...

an older dude told me as a grom that if you imagine you are skating within a square you can figure out where you board is gonna land-
 front shuv/ Variel heel, fs bigspin ect - start in the bottom right corner (if your regs, left if your goofy) as you pop jump to the diaginal opposite corner youll be on the board every time.
pop shuv/ varial kickflip etc -  start at bottom left (right for goofy) and jump to the opposite corner (top right)

this totally worked for me and unlocked a bunch of tricks.

the other tip i picked up was for straight kickflip you wanna drag your flicking toe through the truck bolt on the heel side of your deck and off the nose pocket, they ping up to your back foot every time.

now if anyone wants to shed some light on nollie tres id appreciate it, those fuckers have eluded me for a good ten years

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
^put your front foot in the pocket of the nose, scoop and jump forward ! try to visualize it as a fakie treflip, but in a mirror lol
...and find the good amount of flip to put in, of course
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:38:47 AM by the snake »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 11:48:08 AM »

switch ones for me. my body doesnt move that way.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
now if anyone wants to shed some light on nollie tres id appreciate it, those fuckers have eluded me for a good ten years

it's all in the big toe on your front foot, you have to find that sweet spot for it, so you get the right pop. back foot really barely moves... i put mine inside the board in the middle of the concave at an angle. then both feet have to work together as your pop, back foot flick is merely an extension of the pop. it's not unlike the way 360 flips work, just mirrored. and different from fakie 360 flips in that you face the direction you're going, enabling you to have a more comfortable, open stance

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's all in the big toe on your front foot, you have to find that sweet spot for it, so you get the right pop. back foot really barely moves... i put mine inside the board in the middle of the concave at an angle. then both feet have to work together as your pop, back foot flick is merely an extension of the pop. it's not unlike the way 360 flips work, just mirrored. and different from fakie 360 flips in that you face the direction you're going, enabling you to have a more comfortable, open stance
Nollie tres are my favorite trick. One piece of advice I can give that might help you is to think of it as being more vertical than horizontal. What I mean by this is obviously the trick goes horizontally since it has to spin, but in order to get the flip going it helps to think of it as moving vertically. Like how sometimes when you see a still photo of a normal 360 flip just before the catch it looks like it's rotating at maybe a 45 degree angle with the ground. Think of the initial pop as trying to mirror that trajectory rather than doing it such that it will rotate parallel with the ground, and the flip might come easier.

As far as basic tricks that I can't wrap my head around, I think I can do basically every flatground trick besides a regular inward heelflip. To add insult to injury, when I try them I almost always end up getting stabbed by my board or rolling an ankle.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »
Expand Quote
BS 180s  :'(
[close]

switch ones for me. my body doesnt move that way.

It all has to do with shoulder placement/rotation. What Suit Up said for regular ones means that you need your shoulders rotated in order to look at your back foot thus providing enough body twist for the 180 to occur. You just need to practice turning your shoulders and ollieing at the same time. It will feel awkward and blind in the beginning but will become natural with time.
Carlos Ribeiro's sw 360 is a good example. It might be a 360 rotation but it is the same principle.

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nollie tres are my favorite trick. One piece of advice I can give that might help you is to think of it as being more vertical than horizontal. What I mean by this is obviously the trick goes horizontally since it has to spin, but in order to get the flip going it helps to think of it as moving vertically. Like how sometimes when you see a still photo of a normal 360 flip just before the catch it looks like it's rotating at maybe a 45 degree angle with the ground. Think of the initial pop as trying to mirror that trajectory rather than doing it such that it will rotate parallel with the ground, and the flip might come easier.

As far as basic tricks that I can't wrap my head around, I think I can do basically every flatground trick besides a regular inward heelflip. To add insult to injury, when I try them I almost always end up getting stabbed by my board or rolling an ankle.
that vertical approach sounds good, could help to land them as consistently than fakie tre
for inward heels i watched a sequence of sean sheffey in the 90's that helped me a lot, you gotta flick on the edge of your board till the nose with a massive ninja kick lol

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
nollie fs anything (exept 360's)

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Not a cool trick or even one I'd do outside of SKATE, but I have never been able to pressure flip.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
Not a cool trick or even one I'd do outside of SKATE, but I have never been able to pressure flip.

This! What the fucks with it?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »
Kickflips: I learned them skating solo and basically did ollie late front foot flips. Undoing that default setting is weird. I can rocket them now but they're sporadic, unnatural, and ugly at best.
Bigspins: I learned the old 180 shuv bs 180 nose pivot Jason Lee style ones and it ended there. I can't pop and scoop a big spin without it flipping and giving me a shinner. I can't slide it on the ground without it going primo.
Back lipslides: any advice welcome.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This! What the fucks with it?
imagine how hard it was in 93 when you had nothing but shitty video grab sequences to look at.
pro tip: your front foot does absolutely nothing, learn them standing still with your back foot only and you'll be able to pull them. scoop harder than any other trick there is. also works better once you've got a little pressure flip mark on your nose/ tail. beware though because it's a fine line and said mark will soon become a weapon that you can use to cut things with
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:40:55 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mitchhh

• Rep: 1
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »
I agree with the others that said kickflip. Once I learned them, I was just so satisfied I could land it and I moved on to other tricks without perfecting them. I've got 3 shuvs pretty good but ever since I learned them regular pop shuvs have been giving me grief

shit_for_brains

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Kickflips: I learned them skating solo and basically did ollie late front foot flips. Undoing that default setting is weird. I can rocket them now but they're sporadic, unnatural, and ugly at best.
Bigspins: I learned the old 180 shuv bs 180 nose pivot Jason Lee style ones and it ended there. I can't pop and scoop a big spin without it flipping and giving me a shinner. I can't slide it on the ground without it going primo.
Back lipslides: any advice welcome.

The ONLY thing that matters in lipslides is getting your back truck over the rail. Keep your upper body static, don't twist it, and that way if you mess up it'll slip out in front of you pretty naturally and you won't stick and get tossed. Turn your lower half a lot. It'll feel like too much but that's waaaaay better than not enough.

Backside ollie over the rail first. If you can do that, you can back lip it. Do it on a parking curb first and get the motion down, then it's literally the exact same on every obstacle. Back lips are one of those tricks that you do the same every time no matter what you're doing them on so if you have it on one thing you have it on everything.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
Kickflips! I haven't been able to have them consistently ever. Some days I can do like 5 in a row flawless and some days I can't land one for shit. Same thing with 50-50s

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »

back foot with the big toe over the back wheel on the toe side - ie. picture imaginary perpendicular lines extending from each one of your back truck bolts (like a grid of sorts), have your big toe nested in the lowest corner of said lines, on the toe side of the concave. then just press down vertically on that exact spot with all your weight as you jump straight upward. front foot gets out of the way straight upward too like you're doing an impossible, no flick or anything, you really just lift your leg. all the sudden downward pressure over the wheel will cause the board to spring up and start flipping around that axis. then you just suck your feet up so as not to interfere with the motion and you (hopefully) catch it as the griptape side comes back around. it's really like an impossible let go of instead of wrapping, or a very off-axis pop shove-it (the type of which you'd primo on, just deliberately extended and exaggerated)

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
There are too many ass tricks that piss me off to list here.

Mongoloid

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
I can heelflip with nearly 99% success rate, but they always look fucking terrible. I would love to figure out how to do them like I used to in my better skate years.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
I have a love/hate relationship with tre flips. There are are days where I figure out the scoop and land them super consistently for the whole session, then I lose them and don't land a single one for months. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens out of the blue.

I've just given up on heelflips due to landing primo one too many times.

Vinchenzo

• Rep: -21
    • Eastern Fronts avatar image
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2017, 02:33:54 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with tre flips. There are are days where I figure out the scoop and land them super consistently for the whole session, then I lose them and don't land a single one for months. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens out of the blue.
Tre flips are bitter sweet, peer pressure from friends help after everyone lands theirs in the game of skate. Just gotta jump with it.

B/S 50-50s on quarter pipes. My front truck loves to slip out of the coping and onto the top of the deck.

B/S Smiths on ledges, the heel on my backfoot loves to act as a brake pad.

F/S Flips, probably have done 3-5 in my life but never can figure it out. My body is "f/s challenged".

shit_for_brains

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2017, 05:57:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Tre flips are bitter sweet, peer pressure from friends help after everyone lands theirs in the game of skate. Just gotta jump with it.

B/S 50-50s on quarter pipes. My front truck loves to slip out of the coping and onto the top of the deck.

B/S Smiths on ledges, the heel on my backfoot loves to act as a brake pad.

F/S Flips, probably have done 3-5 in my life but never can figure it out. My body is "f/s challenged".

I used to do them Ellington style, a kickflp then a quick 180, but my success rate was way low and it was a crap shoot every time. THEN I saw a clip of Carroll doing one in I believe that Wet Dream video they did however long ago, he just does a FS flip on flat in a line, and watching him do that one made them click for me and I can do them way better and way more frequently now. The way he has his feet and shoulders is really obvious and if you can copy that you'll be gold. I tried to find the montage online but I can only find the CK in the pool parts so happy hunting.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
frontside noseslides. It took me ten years to learn frontside boardslides, I'm afraid it will take another ten years to learn frontside noseslides. They are so nice though!

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
don't feel like making a new thread but: how bout tricks you can't do because you think they're stupid and don't ever try them but look like you suck when you can't land it in a game of skate ...

for me it's - fakie frontside bigspins
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?