Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151890 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
maybe it's been said and i wasn't paying attention, but also on the back tail to regs it helps a lot to look over your shoulder. getting out of it is really natural that way since your body will follow your head.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
maybe it's been said and i wasn't paying attention, but also on the back tail to regs it helps a lot to look over your shoulder. getting out of it is really natural that way since your body will follow your head.

Thank you Baron Samedi, I have already tried looking over my shoulder but I cant really keep looking there while sliding. I always end up looking straight down. No skating this weekend since its cold as fuck here, but I will work on the bs tailslide in the near future. Itīs such a good looking trick and I really want to have it on lock as good as possible.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BS 180s  :'(
[close]

Go outside right now and try one keeping your eyes on your back foot.
[close]

Dude thank you, always had a hard time rolling out switch and not pivoting.
[close]
Does that actually work? I can't back one to save my life
[close]

Did for me, I guess it tricked my shoulders to turn all the way around, try it out, I was getting them the cleanest I ever have pretty quickly that way.
Gonna try it tomorrow, I suppose

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Did for me, I guess it tricked my shoulders to turn all the way around, try it out, I was getting them the cleanest I ever have pretty quickly that way.
[close]

Any luck on the back 180's?

Sloboldmanstyle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
31 years of skating... Granted on and off. But it's still fucking kickflips! 99% of the time I look like Gonz mobbing, bounce them off the ground or just one foot the fuck out of them, with no flip. Like once a year I get the floating front foot flick and back foot catch and it's glorious! 😂

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2017, 12:41:18 AM »
 Im on board i cant kickflip or backtail worth a shit
its embarrassing

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #126 on: December 24, 2017, 01:09:18 AM »
31 years of skating... Granted on and off. But it's still fucking kickflips! 99% of the time I look like Gonz mobbing, bounce them off the ground or just one foot the fuck out of them, with no flip. Like once a year I get the floating front foot flick and back foot catch and it's glorious! 😂

best tip i ever got for kickflips was drag your front toe right over the truck bolt and out of the pocket of the nose. clicked for me and ten years later its the only trick i have on lock down no matter what.

Sloboldmanstyle

« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2017, 04:52:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

best tip i ever got for kickflips was drag your front toe right over the truck bolt and out of the pocket of the nose. clicked for me and ten years later its the only trick i have on lock down no matter what.
That's the simplest break down of a trick I've heard and makes complete sense in a way to repeat consistently. Gonna give it a shot, thanks man!

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2017, 05:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
That's the simplest break down of a trick I've heard and makes complete sense in a way to repeat consistently. Gonna give it a shot, thanks man!

no worries bro, let us know if it works for you!

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2017, 11:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Any luck on the back 180's?
I tried some last night, actually. I need to get it down into a fluid motion, but that tip definitely works. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to get them as a good as my front 180s, which is the flatground trick I do the best

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Sloboldmanstyle

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Been -10 to 15*F with 2' of snow here. But I cleaned off the garage floor tonight and gave it a shot. My flips were more consistent, leveled and popped. After trying to break some really old/bad habits, I caught and landed more than usual. It's been a long time since I was stoked on kickflips. I can't wait to get more than one push in with a hurried set up and try with some speed. Thanks again for the advice homie!

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2017, 12:47:52 AM »

To not mob your kickflips, drag your back heel up the board as pop the flip.  same as you would an ollie.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2017, 03:14:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Been -10 to 15*F with 2' of snow here. But I cleaned off the garage floor tonight and gave it a shot. My flips were more consistent, leveled and popped. After trying to break some really old/bad habits, I caught and landed more than usual. It's been a long time since I was stoked on kickflips. I can't wait to get more than one push in with a hurried set up and try with some speed. Thanks again for the advice homie!

Sick! glad it worked for you dude

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2017, 07:47:53 AM »
I just can't figure out how the hell people ollie more than a couple inches out of manuals.

Also, I have front shuvs on lock, but I always end up about 2 feet behind where I started

shit_for_brains

« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2018, 07:40:05 AM »
I just can't figure out how the hell people ollie more than a couple inches out of manuals.

Also, I have front shuvs on lock, but I always end up about 2 feet behind where I started

You're doing the work with your front foot instead of your back foot.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2018, 02:10:03 PM »
The trick to this unfortunately is to just do more manuals. There's no secret other than to do a ton of manuals to get good at manuals. There is also no secret to balance, which is the key to doing a good ollie or nollie out of a manual, other than the slow grind of improving it over years.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:11:48 PM by Baron Samedi »

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm almost sure this isn't it. I scoop during the pop to get the rotation so it rotates on the axis of the back wheels, but I don't use my front foot at all. I can't figure out how to pop down and then scoop out. I can do it standing like everyone else, but jumping and doing it has always eluded me. I put a decent amount of time into figuring this out with no progress. I have a lifetime of other shit to learn so it'll be alright.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you Baron Samedi, I have already tried looking over my shoulder but I cant really keep looking there while sliding. I always end up looking straight down. No skating this weekend since its cold as fuck here, but I will work on the bs tailslide in the near future. Itīs such a good looking trick and I really want to have it on lock as good as possible.

I ve had 3 or 4 sessions meanwhile, still no luck on a controlled bs ts. When I focus on looking forward or my hips, I tend to not get 100% straight in the slide which results in sticking. When I donīt I mostly slide out. I am currently trying to find that sweet spot between the two. I still have the feeling that I will break through and get them more consistent soon (even tough its been more than 5 years of trying so far haha).

99Pancakes

• Rep: 3
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
I was always god awful at just normal ollies until I realized you can help "pull" the board up with your back foot too -_-

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ve had 3 or 4 sessions meanwhile, still no luck on a controlled bs ts. When I focus on looking forward or my hips, I tend to not get 100% straight in the slide which results in sticking. When I donīt I mostly slide out. I am currently trying to find that sweet spot between the two. I still have the feeling that I will break through and get them more consistent soon (even tough its been more than 5 years of trying so far haha).

push your board slightly further out in the direction your sliding, so it feels like its gonna go past where you think is the right spot, it almost always works for me whereas aiming to be exactly the same angle as the ledge i always stick

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »
I was always god awful at just normal ollies until I realized you can help "pull" the board up with your back foot too -_-
explain

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2018, 02:43:18 AM »

for a while I could only tweak switch ollies, but not normal ones either. I could do some high ones, but they were always stiff-legged although I could bring those knees up to my ears sometimes, trying to make it over the tallest obstacles I would try. then I learned proper nosebonks where you just kind of kick off the nose to bonk the front wheels against the obstacle (as opposed to going for a very quick nosewheelie with your weight over the nose) and somehow something clicked after that and now I can 'float' (ahem) ollies over high shit with a lot less effort, by pretty much faking a nosebonk where you overestimate the height on purpose and end up going over the obstacle, it's hard to explain but basically that allows you to level the board out with just the right timing to clear heftier shit. feels a lot better too because it's a really light-footed way to ollie.

deluxxxe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm almost sure this isn't it. I scoop during the pop to get the rotation so it rotates on the axis of the back wheels, but I don't use my front foot at all. I can't figure out how to pop down and then scoop out. I can do it standing like everyone else, but jumping and doing it has always eluded me. I put a decent amount of time into figuring this out with no progress. I have a lifetime of other shit to learn so it'll be alright.

something else to keep in mind is that the board doesn't need to stay parallel to the ground the whole time - mine often end up rotating slightly like a varial heel and the nose (i.e. the tail when you popped the trick) is lower than the tail which makes it easier to catch with the front foot

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2018, 01:06:06 PM »
Also, how the fuck do I pop shuv? I legitimately have not done one in probably six years; the whole motion of the trick seem entirely unnatural to me (but of course I can rotate a 360 shuv perfectly).

shit_for_brains

« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
Also, how the fuck do I pop shuv? I legitimately have not done one in probably six years; the whole motion of the trick seem entirely unnatural to me (but of course I can rotate a 360 shuv perfectly).

I can't do regular ones at all. They always at least half flip. The first flip trick I ever learned was a 360 flip and I think it contaminated all my others.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

this is also a trick that eludes me. I have periods of trying to get it but no breakthroughs so far. when people say to look over your shoulder, do they mean before or during the slide? most pictures I see of this trick, the person is looking down but their shoulders are usually parallel to the ledge or rail. I don’t understand how you could lock into this trick and slide while looking forward.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2018, 06:26:55 PM »
  Put the toes of your back foot more in the middle of the tail rather then the edge, that will help the board from flipping.  Then pop without much spin at all.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

this is also a trick that eludes me. I have periods of trying to get it but no breakthroughs so far. when people say to look over your shoulder, do they mean before or during the slide? most pictures I see of this trick, the person is looking down but their shoulders are usually parallel to the ledge or rail. I don’t understand how you could lock into this trick and slide while looking forward.

i battled for consistant back tails for years, what worked for me is pushing the tail out further than you feel like it should go.. like when i was aiming for exactly 90' on the ledge i would always either come up short or stick.. pushing it out to whatt feels like more than parallel gets the glide going.. at first youll always fall out to fakie but once you get used to it and control the slide coming out regs comes pretty quick

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2018, 05:58:37 AM »
It’s not even a god damn trick. I can’t powerslide either way and thus will never look as cool as yall.

As soon as I turn it’s over. There is no slide, my board just stops and I’m off.

I remember doing them through slippery piles of leaves in the fall as a kid but that’s it.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people who are just learning new tricks hunch over the board before popping instead of keeping their back straight and bending their knees. it helped me a lot with learning tricks to pretend that im sitting in a chair..
even the steven