Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151923 times)

99Pancakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2018, 09:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote
I was always god awful at just normal ollies until I realized you can help "pull" the board up with your back foot too -_-
[close]
explain

pop, slide front foot like normal, but also imagine your back foot constantly in contact with the board, using the contact to pull it up and slightly forward

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was always god awful at just normal ollies until I realized you can help "pull" the board up with your back foot too -_-
[close]
explain
[close]

pop, slide front foot like normal, but also imagine your back foot constantly in contact with the board, using the contact to pull it up and slightly forward
Ah, working on it

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
ollieing into nose manuals on low things like up a sidewalk. how do you do that? I do better trying them on something higher. manuals in general are tough for me but I’ve always wanted to do nose manuals on low manual pads.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2018, 01:19:00 AM »
ollieing into nose manuals on low things like up a sidewalk. how do you do that? I do better trying them on something higher. manuals in general are tough for me but I’ve always wanted to do nose manuals on low manual pads.

I held off for years on learning nose manuals so 2 years ago i started learning them on small pads because i was scared to go any higher. i've gotten them finally but after eating a lot of shit. they are for sure easier on high stuff. just go light at first like don't totally nosedive into the curb
even the steven

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2018, 04:21:59 AM »

avoid stomping on your nose, being light footed and perfectly perpendicular to the board is the key

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

avoid stomping on your nose, being light footed and perfectly perpendicular to the board is the key

Also, besides this, put your front put a lot higher so you barely have to drag into it. Experiment with possibly keeping your front foot even more over the trucks in the curve of the nose when you land in the manny. Keeping your arms parallel to the board is huge. I had the same problem until I started practicing this more.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
tips on frontide flips? the ones where you spin it out
and do not revert/pivot it on flat after > 90 degrees?

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »

practice hardflips a lot and then think of it like a hardflip 180
even the steven

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
I haven't done a fs flip since before I broke my ankle but when I did do them they were Muska flips. Not sure what I can say other than literally think about it as a front 180 and a kickflip (disclaimer: front 180s are the one trick I'm REALLY good at). That's how I learned them.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Pigeon

« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12:59 PM »
Switch flips are harder for me than switch 360 flips. I can’t get switch varial kickflips when I try, but get them when I fuck up switch 360 flips.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:03 AM »

this is going to sound weird but I started getting those a lot more after I started setting up for them the way I normally set up for 360 flips, big toe on the pocket, face where you're going then open your shoulders as you pop.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Switch flips and ollie north. Haven't been able to do them in years. Rolled my ankle pretty bad some years back and haven't been able to get them back.

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
Smacking your tail down after an ollie. Primarily over a bump to bump or a hip. Seems like it should be pretty straight forward but every time I've tried it I feel like I'm going to break my board or I just do a really lame ollie.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »
Fucking regular pop shuv its!! I can pop switch ones easily and pretty high.  The second I try regular ones it spins like a varial. Is hard for me to level it. And if I do it it’s like 50/50 chance I’m going to land it. Primos are very common for me if I over think it. I always admired garret hills pop shuv.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Fucking regular pop shuv its!! I can pop switch ones easily and pretty high.  The second I try regular ones it spins like a varial. Is hard for me to level it. And if I do it it’s like 50/50 chance I’m going to land it. Primos are very common for me if I over think it. I always admired garret hills pop shuv.

Me too so I just decided fuck that trick. We always want what we can't have but I will not stress over that stupid trick.

JAesop

« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Me too so I just decided fuck that trick. We always want what we can't have but I will not stress over that stupid trick.

These dudes will cure what ails ya'...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLj05sUrypM2wsUBYCqOik7YPZ1y_l8pYN&v=cS6AJ_rPzHM

Seriously, best how to series.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
nose manny. Can't do them at all.

Lost pop shuv's too...they do the same as mentioned above. Switch is fine, fs fine as well, but reg shuv's are asking for primo landings.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2018, 12:38:27 PM »
for pop shove its, put your front foot more like for an ollie than a kickflip and you shouldn’t primo.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is going to sound weird but I started getting those a lot more after I started setting up for them the way I normally set up for 360 flips, big toe on the pocket, face where you're going then open your shoulders as you pop.

If it works for you great, but that is definitely a weird FS flip setup

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »
i'm having trouble getting f/s and b/s 360s to fully rotate, any advice?
even the steven

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2018, 12:11:29 AM »
i'm having trouble getting f/s and b/s 360s to fully rotate, any advice?
Seconded for front 3s, really wanna learn them

Uhh how the fuck are you supposed to back 50-50?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:01 AM »
FrenchFriedClownFingers for backside 360 ollies just have your big toe hang off the tail before you pop (as much as, maybe more than you would for a 360 flip). then you throw your shoulders into the spin, pop with the right timing and your back foot should do all the work, guiding the board around with you not too unlike it would control an impossible. the technique has nothing to do with normal backside 180's where you actually ollie then turn, here you just spin and scoop. the shoulder part is a bitch to learn and you may end up landing short of 90 degrees, slipping out and eating shit before you figure it out. maybe if you do enough backside 360 no-complies that will help.

I suck at frontside ones (except switch - classic) but the few satisfying ones I've done, I remember I was mentally breaking it down into two parts, like scooped frontside 180 late frontside 180 (if that makes sense), in order to force myself to get the shoulders part right. it's a beautiful trick, I should put some time into really trying to learn it properly. watch Donny Barley, Donger, Sheffey, Wray.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If it works for you great, but that is definitely a weird FS flip setup

there's no denying that. my whole life is set up weird. every frontside flip I pop I try really hard to pretend I'm PJ Ladd in WHL mid-line on the road amid the traffic, but of course that never works and eventually I just witness myself flop around and occasionally pivot on the nose.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
Smacking your tail down after an ollie. Primarily over a bump to bump or a hip. Seems like it should be pretty straight forward but every time I've tried it I feel like I'm going to break my board or I just do a really lame ollie.

^This please. Any time I try ollie anything on bumps, hips, skateparks, etc., I'm looking more limp and flaccid than what Stormy Daniels witnesses every time she visits a Trump Tower exec suite.

Are you supposed to pump up the start of the incline like you would on a quarter/park transition? Should you be crouching at the beginning of the incline and quickly popping up at the top? Or "scooping" the tail out? Or should you be completely straight-legged while riding up the incline then popping up and sucking up your knees?

This shit torments me to no end.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:17:28 AM by spanyard »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2018, 04:07:47 AM »

practice one footers where you dont just ollie and then lift, but really kick them out from the start (like a kickflip/heelflip without a flip) and then when you fuck up and dont 'one foot' but just kinda bone it by accident the smacking almost always happens, then just refine that motion.

oh and dont stomp, but i think the one footer tactic kind of requires finesse or lightfootedness so that might be why it worked for me
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:09:58 AM by behavioralguide »

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »
Nosebluntslides from the side of the ledge, can do em rollin straight at it but whenever I try em from the side I either miss it completely or if I actually get into it I'm leaning too far forward and jump off...

Weirdly enough I'm really good at FS nosegrinds but it pisses me off that I can't tweak it just that little bit more to get it on a noseblunt.

Can't even comprehend how to pop outta that shit in the middle of the ledge too. Templeton makes it look so easy.

Pigeon

« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2018, 01:27:41 AM »
Some hooker tried to lure me into a strip club in North Beach and she didn’t know who Evan Smith was...why was she wearing those shoes and who gave them to her?

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »
popping out of boardslides in the middle of a double sided-ledge. (think tall curb)

I've tried to slam the tail and throw my shoulders but I hang up every time or the tail hits the ground and stops immediately...
(Cool Trick GIF)

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »
Some hooker tried to lure me into a strip club in North Beach and she didn’t know who Evan Smith was...why was she wearing those shoes and who gave them to her?
+1

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
popping out of boardslides in the middle of a double sided-ledge. (think tall curb)

I've tried to slam the tail and throw my shoulders but I hang up every time or the tail hits the ground and stops immediately...

pop off and come back to the side you came from to land, or transfer over ? I find that those motions are more in the hips than they are in the shoulders (although your line of thinking isn't wrong seeing as a lot of skateboarding actually has to do with the shoulders)

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pop off and come back to the side you came from to land, or transfer over ? I find that those motions are more in the hips than they are in the shoulders (although your line of thinking isn't wrong seeing as a lot of skateboarding actually has to do with the shoulders)

Same Side, and are you saying like thrust your hips (lol) to the side you wanna come out of?
(Cool Trick GIF)