Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151941 times)

streetsoup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
360flips forever

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
popping out of boardslides in the middle of a double sided-ledge. (think tall curb)

I've tried to slam the tail and throw my shoulders but I hang up every time or the tail hits the ground and stops immediately...
[close]

pop off and come back to the side you came from to land, or transfer over ? I find that those motions are more in the hips than they are in the shoulders (although your line of thinking isn't wrong seeing as a lot of skateboarding actually has to do with the shoulders)
[close]

Same Side, and are you saying like thrust your hips (lol) to the side you wanna come out of?

more like, never really move your upper body / shoulders if you're going to try to pop out early, even as you're ollieing into the boardslide, keep having them facing the direction you're going (more than usual at least) and do the boardslide motion with your lower body / hips only, if that makes sense. keep looking towards where you're heading, pretty much. that should eliminate unnecessary motions when the time comes to pop out because your upper body is ready to roll away already, basically. and yeah the dismount is in your hips, you have to turn them back around similarly to how you would to come out of rock and roll on tranny just with an extra snap, you have to be quick- and light-footed and pop a sort of small ollie out of it. the longer the slide the harder to control the dismount is, because you lose the momentum and reactivity. love doing those frontside.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:18 AM »
360 flips. I'll have to do 150 to land a decent one, then I only have it for a day. Then repeat. So I basically don't do them any more. I could do them decently before boards were popsicles. H-street days no problem. Also add that my ankles have been destroyed since then. But love the trick, can't do em

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
popping out of boardslides in the middle of a double sided-ledge. (think tall curb)

I've tried to slam the tail and throw my shoulders but I hang up every time or the tail hits the ground and stops immediately...
[close]

pop off and come back to the side you came from to land, or transfer over ? I find that those motions are more in the hips than they are in the shoulders (although your line of thinking isn't wrong seeing as a lot of skateboarding actually has to do with the shoulders)
[close]

Same Side, and are you saying like thrust your hips (lol) to the side you wanna come out of?
[close]

more like, never really move your upper body / shoulders if you're going to try to pop out early, even as you're ollieing into the boardslide, keep having them facing the direction you're going (more than usual at least) and do the boardslide motion with your lower body / hips only, if that makes sense. keep looking towards where you're heading, pretty much. that should eliminate unnecessary motions when the time comes to pop out because your upper body is ready to roll away already, basically. and yeah the dismount is in your hips, you have to turn them back around similarly to how you would to come out of rock and roll on tranny just with an extra snap, you have to be quick- and light-footed and pop a sort of small ollie out of it. the longer the slide the harder to control the dismount is, because you lose the momentum and reactivity. love doing those frontside.

I think of doing a really exagerated rock n roll on tranny, it seems to help

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2018, 06:52:06 AM »
360 flips. I'll have to do 150 to land a decent one, then I only have it for a day. Then repeat. So I basically don't do them any more. I could do them decently before boards were popsicles. H-street days no problem. Also add that my ankles have been destroyed since then. But love the trick, can't do em
Go buy a 10 inch board and 3 flip to your heart's content.

I know it hasn't been mentioned in a while, but for those having trouble with heelflips, don't try kicking out. Hang your toes off the board about an inch and then pop an ollie. Your board will do the rest for you.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »
Back tails. Have to do them like every session to keep them.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Noseslides. Can't even do them the cheater way, just doesn't make sense.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
Again not quite basic but I've never landed a blunt fakie or pivot fakie in 30 years of skating. I think the problem might be being too poosey.

gollum mcjinglemeballs

• Rep: -4
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »

I never really tried to do a regular nose slides for my first twenties years of skating. I'd seen one too many shitty slappy nose slides in the early nineties and just wrote them off as not worth the effort.  About a year ago I started trying them again. My advice is to think of them as a middle ground between a crooked and a 180 nose grind.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I never really tried to do a regular nose slides for my first twenties years of skating. I'd seen one too many shitty slappy nose slides in the early nineties and just wrote them off as not worth the effort.  About a year ago I started trying them again. My advice is to think of them as a middle ground between a crooked and a 180 nose grind.
Nice, two other tricks I can't do. Never learned crooks because I always heard you had to learn noseslides first. Never tried a front 180 nosegrind before though, maybe I'll give those a whirl?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:52:20 PM by planman »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
Not that it makes you a bad skateboarder or anything, but I'm baffled that there's something someone can't figure out about a noseslide. To be fair, this is coming from someone who was skating for 10 years before I learned how to axle stall on transition so I get that some tricks just don't click for certain people.

Sounds stupid, but can you just ride straight at a ledge and do a nosestall? I'd start with that and then do the same thing but start from a very slight angle, and then more of an angle, and so on and so forth until you can do the 90 degree ollie onto the nosestall starting parallel to the ledge. Once you can do that, you shouldn't have any problem sliding them.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is still true. This trick is unsatisfying and not even cool. Not worth it haha.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2018, 05:16:15 PM »
I do like seeing them on freakishly large hubbas though where any other trick wouldn't be feasible.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Not that it makes you a bad skateboarder or anything, but I'm baffled that there's something someone can't figure out about a noseslide. To be fair, this is coming from someone who was skating for 10 years before I learned how to axle stall on transition so I get that some tricks just don't click for certain people.

Sounds stupid, but can you just ride straight at a ledge and do a nosestall? I'd start with that and then do the same thing but start from a very slight angle, and then more of an angle, and so on and so forth until you can do the 90 degree ollie onto the nosestall starting parallel to the ledge. Once you can do that, you shouldn't have any problem sliding them.
slappy/ sloppy ones are easy but I actually struggle with them (backside) on medium sized ledges for some reason. funny that they seem easy on ledges you could probably never normally skate

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2018, 08:40:30 PM »
frontside rock and rolls. that is a fucked up feeling trick.

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2018, 07:29:56 AM »
how do i stop my body and shoulders form opening up doing kickflips?? feels like i'd have to look backwards or something for it to ever work

Focus on where you look. After popping look straight down on your board (literally the middle of your board). If you look where you flick (which should be diagonally off the nose and up) your shoulders naturally turn frontside following your head and eye movement.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2018, 07:54:15 AM »
frontside rock and rolls. that is a fucked up feeling trick.

Easier to learn on small tight stuff. Feels terrible on mellow transition.

Your shoulders should be finished with the trick before the board starts it.

99Pancakes

• Rep: 3
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
Again not quite basic but I've never landed a blunt fakie or pivot fakie in 30 years of skating. I think the problem might be being too poosey.

This self-diagnosis is 100% correct. Don't be poosey.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
switch and nollie flips. Don't think ill ever train my body to figure these outs. My switch flick is fucked.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I came in here to say almost the exact thing, haha. Noseslides have always felt super awkward to me, and I just sorta skipped 'em. I accept that I suck at ledge/skating in general, but this one always gets me flustered and embarrassed. But just tonight I tried them over and over and eventually got a few bullshit ones which is a huge step for me.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2018, 03:51:40 AM »
I have accepted that I will never do a nice looking heelflip. my leg just doesnt go that way.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2018, 08:54:56 PM »
I have been working hard on backside tailslides lately. I’m back to where I was a long time ago when I tried learning this trick: I do an accidental suski grind before coming to a stop on the ledge. Today I did a suski grind to tail stall and rolled away which made me laugh self-pityingly while feeling kind of stoked at the same time. What do I need to do to get this trick? For starters I think I need to come more parallel to the ledge and at less of an angle. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2018, 05:32:27 AM »
I have been working hard on backside tailslides lately. I’m back to where I was a long time ago when I tried learning this trick: I do an accidental suski grind before coming to a stop on the ledge. Today I did a suski grind to tail stall and rolled away which made me laugh self-pityingly while feeling kind of stoked at the same time. What do I need to do to get this trick? For starters I think I need to come more parallel to the ledge and at less of an angle. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

You aren't turning your hips enough. You can get into a bs tail from any angle you're comfortable with if you turn enough. When you start slipping out is when you know you're real close to the ones you can sit on and it makes the noise and everything. It feels like it, but you aren't going to overturn and end up in a switch fs crook position. Swing them hips.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You aren't turning your hips enough. You can get into a bs tail from any angle you're comfortable with if you turn enough. When you start slipping out is when you know you're real close to the ones you can sit on and it makes the noise and everything. It feels like it, but you aren't going to overturn and end up in a switch fs crook position. Swing them hips.

thanks. will try this next time.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2018, 06:41:08 AM »
switch and nollie flips. Don't think ill ever train my body to figure these outs. My switch flick is fucked.

switch and nollie flips are tough to learn by definition - everybody seems to really struggle with the switch flick at first, but once it finally clicks, you just got yourself two new great tricks. I know what it's like to postpone learning a trick that doesn't naturally come to you, and you just can't form to the point where just the mere thought of trying it feels like a waste of skate time already (I'm the same with many, including the aforementioned backside tailslide). but I'd say those two are worth it.

just try them on and off. start with the switch flip (the easiest of the two if you're just trying to figure your switch flick out), and basically trick your brain into thinking it's a normal stance kickflip. blank the switch part out on purpose and just try mimicking your regular stance motion. since you can already kickflip, from then on it should be dead easy to figure out what you're doing wrong and work on that. think of it as learning how to do a basic kickflip again, just from an uncomfortable stance. the dreaded myth of the almighty switch kickflip is just a mental construction, it's just a kickflip. just grip the board as usual and use your ankle. try maybe 5 a day or every other day, see how close you can get. keep it fun and you'll get in on lock eventually, try it at the end of your lines once it starts coming together, casual stuff like that. then the nollie flip will come by itself.

it took me years to finally learn nollie and switch flips and by then I could already do a bunch of nollie flip and heel flip variations, just not the straight, normal nollie / sw flips. I know the struggle, just saying. but once you get it down it becomes a simple and very fun trick you just can't help but do all the time, pretending you're Keenan or PJ when you really aren't.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When I learned them I just went to fakie and slide 6in or so, which is easier at first now I can't really go fakie. Super frustrating to learn but once you learn them theyre not bad.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
^ any tips on getting back tails to regular? Finally figured them out to fakie, needs more work, but can't do them to regs to save my life, I don't seem to physically be able to whip my lower body around enough to prevent my wheel from jamming whilst still looking forwards.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
i can pop a really nice nollie heel .. but every 1/5 tries of them, it won’t pop and the nose will stay grounded and ill jump in the air two feet .. it’s the most demoralizing feeling . then i have to look around to make sure nobody saw
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »
^ any tips on getting back tails to regular? Finally figured them out to fakie, needs more work, but can't do them to regs to save my life, I don't seem to physically be able to whip my lower body around enough to prevent my wheel from jamming whilst still looking forwards.

Your brain and nerves will tell you you're turning out enough, but you aren't. Over swing like you're in a cartoon. You won't over turn I promise.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
Will someone please properly explain to this regular pile of meat how to properly get into a backside smith-grind?

I can only do those ones that don't dip and grind no longer than a cunt-hair.