Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151948 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
tips on regs heelflips would be nice. ankles kinda fucked so can't kickflip, need an alternative.

ungzilla

« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
i think heelflips can be done in so many different ways. my way is front foot perfectly perpendicular, just behind bolts,  with toes hanging off so that my heel is flush with the backside edge of the board. back foot slightly towards the backside pocket of the tail. most weight distributed over front foot is the key part that prevents the classic rocket heelflip action. then it's all fucking with the timing and direction of the kick.

calvinsdream

« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
I can do front half cabs but not regular ones.

planman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2018, 11:54:41 PM »
pivot when you're popping

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

calvinsdream

« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2018, 07:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Have your shoulders and head at 90 when you pop, and fully rotated 180 when your board is at 90

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »
Back 360s plz. I tried the scoop suggestion like an impossible but my body doesnt come all the way around with it and it ends up like a bigspin and my board hits me in the ankles.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »
i do not know if that still is considered a basic ass trick,
but how can you do switch fs tailslides? it's beyond me

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »

You’re going to want to do a frontside tailslide but stand in the opposite stance than what you would normally ride in.  So if you are left foot forward (we call that Regz) you would ride with your right foot forward (known as goofy).  From there you want to pop, rotate 90 degrees like a frontside 180, but put your tail down and slide on the obstacle.

From there, just pop out and ride away clean.  Hope that helps.  Don’t get frustrated and just have fun learning new tricks!
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2018, 12:36:05 PM »

Start learning them coming at the ledge at a pretty big angle and swing a big ol switch frontside 180 at it. Once you get comfortable landing in them you can start adjusting your angle of approach to get better slides.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
any tips on big ol' popped sw fs 180, sfb? much appreciated.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
any tips on big ol' popped sw fs 180, sfb? much appreciated.

Treat your shoulders and weight distribution like you're doing a halfcab, and don't focus entirely on your business foot because you have to keep your popping foot on the tail and get it nice and leveled out when you're learning to get your tail on the ledge.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
Love reading all those tips! Any pointers on backside Smiths?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
Love reading all those tips! Any pointers on backside Smiths?

I wrote about this trick on page 8. Have not done one in years but I don’t think the mechanics have changed. It’s hard to explain how you have had success but it’s fun to try to. Have fun.

calvinsdream

« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Have your shoulders and head at 90 when you pop, and fully rotated 180 when your board is at 90

Tried this with my front 180s which and they were much better rotated. I really have a bad habit of not paying attention to my shoulders enough.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #285 on: July 19, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »

As soon as I pop I like to think of it like getting into a noseslide, which makes it less intimidating in my mind. Also I try to bring my sliding foot up as far as I can to over exaggerate the leveling out motion and make sure I get my nose high enough to get on the ledge. I'd suggest practicing switch 180's and really try to throw your weight around to level them out good. Hope this helps.

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -84
« Reply #286 on: July 19, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
switch frontside boardslides !! i went skating this morning and landed one first try!such a great feeling! 8)

WorldsBestCargoPants

• Rep: -7
« Reply #287 on: July 23, 2018, 03:04:39 AM »
Nollie flips!!!  :'(  I've got nollie tres, nollie varial flips and a good straight nollie but for some reason over the 17 years I've been skating, I've never been able to get a clean nollie flip, whenever I do one they are pure worm burners and just bounce off the ground.. 
Sit back relax and let yourself go, don't sweat what you heard but act like you know.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #288 on: July 23, 2018, 04:24:24 AM »
Nollie flips!!!  :'(  I've got nollie tres, nollie varial flips and a good straight nollie but for some reason over the 17 years I've been skating, I've never been able to get a clean nollie flip, whenever I do one they are pure worm burners and just bounce off the ground..

Random question but can you do nollie backside flips at all? Or do you have the same problem with those? The way I position myself then pop and flick for a nollie flip (thinking front foot position, specifically) has more to do with how I'd pop a nollie backside flip than a nollie varial or 360 flip. Something with how nollie backside flips force you to pop straight and actually flick out behind you, when for nollie varial flip or 360 flip you actually just kind of kick the board and barely move your flicking foot. Maybe you just need to practice the flick. Try forcing yourself to do one of your good nollies with less of your back foot on the board, then flicking at the peak of the jump. Remember that just like you do on nollies, for nollie flips you also have to pop using the forwards direction momentum and jump towards the tail if that makes sense. I hope you eventually figure them out (they also took me forever to get right), they're a fun trick.

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #289 on: July 23, 2018, 06:11:58 AM »
whenever I do one they are pure worm burners and just bounce off the ground..

these are my shit
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

WorldsBestCargoPants

« Reply #290 on: July 23, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Random question but can you do nollie backside flips at all? Or do you have the same problem with those? The way I position myself then pop and flick for a nollie flip (thinking front foot position, specifically) has more to do with how I'd pop a nollie backside flip than a nollie varial or 360 flip. Something with how nollie backside flips force you to pop straight and actually flick out behind you, when for nollie varial flip or 360 flip you actually just kind of kick the board and barely move your flicking foot. Maybe you just need to practice the flick. Try forcing yourself to do one of your good nollies with less of your back foot on the board, then flicking at the peak of the jump. Remember that just like you do on nollies, for nollie flips you also have to pop using the forwards direction momentum and jump towards the tail if that makes sense. I hope you eventually figure them out (they also took me forever to get right), they're a fun trick.

I can do nollie frontside flips now and again but I don't think I've ever actually landed a nollie backside flip.. But yeah you're right, its definitely something to do with my weak back foot flick as like you say, when doing nollie tre or varial flip it doesn't actually require much flick from the back foot. I'll work with those pointers and get back to you on it. One of my favourite tricks to watch people do clean.
Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts.  :)
Sit back relax and let yourself go, don't sweat what you heard but act like you know.

WorldsBestCargoPants

« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote
whenever I do one they are pure worm burners and just bounce off the ground..
[close]

these are my shit

Hilarious in a game of skate I must say, everyone gets a laugh when I actually roll away from it.  ;D

shit_for_brains

« Reply #292 on: July 23, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
My nollie flips still aren't great but once I started paying more attention to lifting my front foot straight up I started landing more and they started looking better.

bestchester

• Rep: 0
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »
pretty close to getting front bigspins, the only problem I'm having is that I consistently catch them one-footed as the board is going behind me. "behind" meaning it sort of stays in place when I pop while my body moves forward (naturally, because of forward momentum), i don't mean behind in the sense people usually do where tricks shoot out in the direction of their ass.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
front shuv. literally no clue how to get that thing to spin frontside. also tips on how i can stop rotating my shoulders open during kickflips would be much appreciated
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
front shuv. literally no clue how to get that thing to spin frontside. also tips on how i can stop rotating my shoulders open during kickflips would be much appreciated

I do/did the same. Start with your front hand in front of you, but land with it behind you but keep your shoulder aligned with your hip. It makes you kind of swing your shoulder in front of you but stay straight. It took a minute to not feel super weird but it works for me so far.

I'm old so I scoop my front shoves.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2018, 03:55:31 AM »
front shuv.

same here, although i have no problem with making the board rotate, the only issue is that i can't keep the board under me and i usually land either in a nose manual and the board shoots out or with my heels on the board and my toes on the ground. shit, i can varial heel better than i can front shove. i can do them in fakie and nollie well but regular and switch is beyond me.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

super-basic

« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2018, 04:47:14 AM »

Just to learn what the motions will feel like, do them on a deck on some carpet. Extrapolate from there.

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -84
« Reply #298 on: July 25, 2018, 07:04:22 AM »
i learned  shovits trying in the grass :P

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #299 on: July 25, 2018, 07:12:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do/did the same. Start with your front hand in front of you, but land with it behind you but keep your shoulder aligned with your hip. It makes you kind of swing your shoulder in front of you but stay straight. It took a minute to not feel super weird but it works for me so far.

I'm old so I scoop my front shoves.

so like if i'm regular, i put my left hand pointing forwards, at whatever i'm skating towards, flip, and i land with my left arm behind my back, hand pointing at whatever is behind me? is that what you're saying?
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.