Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151896 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #300 on: July 25, 2018, 07:21:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
front shuv. literally no clue how to get that thing to spin frontside. also tips on how i can stop rotating my shoulders open during kickflips would be much appreciated
[close]

I do/did the same. Start with your front hand in front of you, but land with it behind you but keep your shoulder aligned with your hip. It makes you kind of swing your shoulder in front of you but stay straight. It took a minute to not feel super weird but it works for me so far.

I'm old so I scoop my front shoves.
[close]

so like if i'm regular, i put my left hand pointing forwards, at whatever i'm skating towards, flip, and i land with my left arm behind my back, hand pointing at whatever is behind me? is that what you're saying?

It doesn't have to be these big grand gestures of pointing at stuff, it more just compensates for how we naturally open our shoulders up and turn. It forces you to stay more straight by countering that natural open turn. If you look at natural kickflippers like Reynolds or Herman or whoever you'll see that dudes like them have their arm at their side/more behind them when they land vs. guys like us who have our arms in front of us in an almost defensive posture when we land.

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #301 on: July 25, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
I always land kickflips with my left hand behind me, just sayin'  8)

NJ_SKATE27

• Rep: 0
« Reply #302 on: July 25, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
TRE FLIPS.  I just can’t get em good! I’ve been skating since 09 and I rarely get a clean one. 

NJ_SKATE27

• Rep: 0
« Reply #303 on: July 25, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »
Almost 15 years of skating clocked in and I'm still trying to do nose manuals

8 years for me and I still can’t do em either

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
Heel flips and front smiths

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2018, 12:53:56 AM »
Sw back 180s?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

shit_for_brains

« Reply #306 on: July 27, 2018, 05:50:41 AM »
Sw back 180s?

I scoop and pivot (in the air I have dignity) around my front foot while looking at my board the whole time

shark tits

« Reply #307 on: July 27, 2018, 07:01:13 AM »
Sw back 180s?
i learned them in the air first but learning the powerslide version made the ollies more consistent. just to get used to your body doing that motion, push fast on flat [or find a little hill] and commit to whipping around sw bs.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2018, 02:51:02 AM »
I can't do ninja ollie or whatever it's called. And I don't want some eccentric instagram one  but I just to clear some long and high stuff

Heelflip is my favorite thing, sometimes I can do really good one and sometimes It's just awful rocket heel. The lack of consistency is annoying. Also I tend to think too much about it, like every position possible and I think it's not really good, mess with my head.

Can't do varial heel. Everytime I try I just end up with a rocket one and I don't even land on it. To me this is the most beautiful trick ever so it pisses me off.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:52:33 AM by dallou »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2018, 04:52:49 AM »
water fire air and earth fucking bs powerslides how do they work and i dont wanna talk to no gx1000 shit yall muthafuckas lying and gettin me pissed

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2018, 04:56:15 AM »
for the varial heel problem it sounds like you're thinking about the front foot too much. that trick is all in the back foot, pop straight down and hard. front foot barely moves, you just kind of kick it out of the way but you mostly just extend your leg. stay over that back leg and jump.

for backside powerslides just go fast, maybe start turning slightly frontside at first then just lean into them pushing on your legs to break the momentum

Goldberg

« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2018, 03:06:27 PM »
Basic ass tricks that piss you off

...a straight clean ollie in flat without obstacles. I`m way over the basics, but 6 of 10 ollies are shit.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Basic ass tricks that piss you off
[close]

...a straight clean ollie in flat without obstacles. I`m way over the basics, but 6 of 10 ollies are shit.

That has to be the same for everyone...I think we all need something to get over to make them clean

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #313 on: September 15, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »
Might not be the most basic, but I didnt want to start a new thread. Anybody has tips on bs 360s? I can spin them, but my feet always land next to each other and one is off the board. Am I just too scared to commit or is there a trick to the landing? Landed some 270s on hips before, but I cant seem to get this shit on flat. Any help would be appreciated.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #314 on: September 15, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
Might not be the most basic, but I didnt want to start a new thread. Anybody has tips on bs 360s? I can spin them, but my feet always land next to each other and one is off the board. Am I just too scared to commit or is there a trick to the landing? Landed some 270s on hips before, but I cant seem to get this shit on flat. Any help would be appreciated.

They're all in the big toe on your back foot. Have it hanging off the corner of the tail with your foot at a slight angle, as much as, if not more than you would do for a 360 flip. Your big toe controls the whole rotation and is pretty much the only part of your body that has to remain attached to the board (hence why so many one-footers on backside 360 ollies). You have to jump into the spin upper body first, watching footage frame by frame (not that I'd ever do that post 2004) it's not usual to see the upper body of the skater just about to complete the first 180 before they've even popped; in that pose their body appears twisted before the hips and legs get to catch up. If you've got the full rotation down the landing should be no problem, your back foot should keep the board flat and under you as you spin. If the board flies away you're either not committed enough to the spin, trying to turn your shoulders too late, or are short on the rotation. The most painful problem with that trick is when you start landing on your first few and eat shit with the board shooting out because you still have to figure out the feel of it. It's a lot going on at first. Learning it step hop (no comply) also helps tremendously.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #315 on: September 15, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're all in the big toe on your back foot. Have it hanging off the corner of the tail with your foot at a slight angle, as much as, if not more than you would do for a 360 flip. Your big toe controls the whole rotation and is pretty much the only part of your body that has to remain attached to the board (hence why so many one-footers on backside 360 ollies). You have to jump into the spin upper body first, watching footage frame by frame (not that I'd ever do that post 2004) it's not usual to see the upper body of the skater just about to complete the first 180 before they've even popped; in that pose their body appears twisted before the hips and legs get to catch up. If you've got the full rotation down the landing should be no problem, your back foot should keep the board flat and under you as you spin. If the board flies away you're either not committed enough to the spin, trying to turn your shoulders too late, or are short on the rotation. The most painful problem with that trick is when you start landing on your first few and eat shit with the board shooting out because you still have to figure out the feel of it. It's a lot going on at first. Learning it step hop (no comply) also helps tremendously.

Thank you, I got the no comply down and I thought I have the rotation pretty much as well. Going to focus more on my back foot. As with the bs tailslide I have been trying this one for years ;)

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: September 16, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thank you, I got the no comply down and I thought I have the rotation pretty much as well. Going to focus more on my back foot. As with the bs tailslide I have been trying this one for years ;)

Back 3's are my favourite trick! theyre so rad when you figure them out. the advice above is spot on.
if you have them good on hips you shouldnt be too far off getting them straight. just fuckin Jump with it! none of that back 180 to 180 pivot nonsense

HangtenNoseblunt

• Rep: -189
« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2018, 05:12:43 PM »
if back 3s are a basic trick then they all piss me off
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2018, 07:35:25 PM »
I can't do ninja ollie or whatever it's called. And I don't want some eccentric instagram one  but I just to clear some long and high stuff

Heelflip is my favorite thing, sometimes I can do really good one and sometimes It's just awful rocket heel. The lack of consistency is annoying. Also I tend to think too much about it, like every position possible and I think it's not really good, mess with my head.

Can't do varial heel. Everytime I try I just end up with a rocket one and I don't even land on it. To me this is the most beautiful trick ever so it pisses me off.
For varial heel your front foot should be around the middle of the board, maybe slightly closer to the front bolts than the back, your back foot should have your toes on the "corner" of your tail, kind of where you'd have 'em for a front shuv but a little further behind you, when you pop, back foot does a front shuv motion while the front foot kicks out diagonally

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
I can do rock to fakie s but I detest them and never do them.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #320 on: September 29, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
Heelflips, fuck heelflips.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2018, 05:00:20 PM »
i learned to skate tranny in some super steep 5 foot mini and i was always too scared to axle stall it..  rock fakie was way easier for me. now i can't back fifty for shit on any type of mini ramp or bowl. i get a few here and there but it's a huge block for me. i'd trade rock fakies for the axle stalls if i could
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
Heelflips, fuck heelflips.
front foot just behind the bolts, toes over the side a lil, ball of your back foot in the heel side of the pocket, pop it like a normal ollie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:16:50 AM by planman »

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #323 on: October 02, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
I can do rock to fakie s but I detest them and never do them.

im super comfortable doing rock to fakie and coming in fakie in general. fakie rock to regular on the other hand is a nightmare for me these days which is a problem since it makes disasters and lip slides practically undoable for me too.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2018, 01:25:06 AM »
Frontside slappies - I do backside ones all the time and they’re super easy, but I can’t figure out how to get on and lock in frontside. I managed to do it one night while skating on mushrooms and thought I had it figured out, but when I came back the day after it was completely gone.

dragonblade

• Rep: -12
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2018, 02:52:09 AM »
Regular manuals with the tail. I'm coming back to skating after a big break. I used to skate regularly in the 80s but I never actually tried manuals back then. I'm trying them now for the first time and I'm not having much success. I'm doing what tutorial videos suggest and using marks on the ground etc to cue when it's time to lift my front wheels. I noticed a few times later on in the session where I could sometimes keep the front wheels lifted for longer but don't know if that's just luck.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:00:33 AM by dragonblade »

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: October 17, 2018, 11:29:25 PM »
Boardslides on rails. Frontside or backside, doesn't matter. I always do a little kiss-the-rail to fakie, so it's essentially just a front 180 with my deck tapping the rail for back boardslides, or a back 180 for front boards. I can do front lips back to regular and fakie lips back to fakie, but I can't get that shifty motion back to regular when approaching it that way. I'm also afraid to commit to a longer slide because I slip out every time I go for it and cannot get my weight right. Forget about a handrail or even a kinked flatbar. I generally skip the rails and go for ledges

I also lost kickflips this year for some reason. Can tre, hardflip, and frontside flip fine (backside flips kinda fuck with me too), but haven't landed a normal kickflip in months. Never been able to heelflip either, despite varial heels being one of my go-to flat tricks.

Use your leading arm to guide you

99Pancakes

• Rep: 3
« Reply #327 on: October 23, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
never had back crooks very good, then blew out my knee on one and refuse to try them since.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #328 on: October 23, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
Anyone have some insight on nollie flips?  I’ve struggled with them for years.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #329 on: October 23, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »
Anyone have some insight on nollie flips?  I’ve struggled with them for years.

i struggle with em too but ill land one now and then. it helps me to practice my switch flick even when im not skating. just flicking the carpet with my weak foot under my desk at work.
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.