Author Topic: Cryptocurrencies  (Read 10631 times)

Tufty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
Re: Cryptocurrencies
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 04:27:21 PM »

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 05:07:16 AM »
Bitcoin about to hit 10k per coin. I got into it around August when it was 4K. Crazy to see how fast this thing grew but I expect a pull back of a couple thousand soon. There's a few other cryptocurrencies that I've got into that are doing well but no one knows what tomorrow will bring.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:10:08 AM by Chatbot »

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
Been watching Bitcoin since it was $11. Was one of the early Coinbase users and was going to drop a some loot into it back then, but I hesitated to set up a new bank account just for the purpose and slept on it. Still kicking myself for that.

Ended up converting a bunch of Dogecoin, to Ethereum, and then to Bitcoin about 6 months ago.  Have just been sitting it since then. It's not worth a lot, but it's been fun to watch the crypto space grow like a wildfire.

Andreas Antonopolous is the dude to listen to if you want to hear some revolutionary viewpoints on the space.

I've had an idea for a skate related system that would distribute currency, but the current financial system would require a lot of hoops and bounds to make it possible. Cryptocurrencies would solve the problems I ran into developing the idea. I just haven't taken it seriously enough to get back to making this idea a reality.

My initial attraction to bitcoin was due to the fact that it was a worldwide currency that wasn't backed by any government. It's powerful, but yes, very volatile in terms of an investing tool.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:49 PM »
Been watching Bitcoin since it was $11. Was one of the early Coinbase users and was going to drop a some loot into it back then, but I hesitated to set up a new bank account just for the purpose and slept on it. Still kicking myself for that.

Ended up converting a bunch of Dogecoin, to Ethereum, and then to Bitcoin about 6 months ago.  Have just been sitting it since then. It's not worth a lot, but it's been fun to watch the crypto space grow like a wildfire.

Andreas Antonopolous is the dude to listen to if you want to hear some revolutionary viewpoints on the space.

I've had an idea for a skate related system that would distribute currency, but the current financial system would require a lot of hoops and bounds to make it possible. Cryptocurrencies would solve the problems I ran into developing the idea. I just haven't taken it seriously enough to get back to making this idea a reality.

My initial attraction to bitcoin was due to the fact that it was a worldwide currency that wasn't backed by any government. It's powerful, but yes, very volatile in terms of an investing tool.
That's the point.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 04:18:51 AM »
https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

I work as an electronics engineer in a research institute and I see the hype for blockchain technology in research and in startups. With the technology we have today it is incredibly inefficient and has many problems unsolved. However enterpreneurs and some politically waged lobbies see none of this and just bring the hype. They press for half assed solutions , with problems and holes, by developers and they just try to sell them as something that is perfect. Technology world is crazy. Ever since I saw how technology is produced I am very positive that as technology grows more complex we are heading for major trouble.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:41:29 AM by Tufty »

G raham

• Rep: -47
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 03:31:07 AM »
Invested in Ethereum in July this year, Bitcoin a few months after. Invested in Ethereum only through recommendation from a friend, still don't completely understand the difference in the two.

John Mcafee, the creator of Mcafee anti virus shit which you probably have on your computer says it might hit a million by 2020. He says it's as fundamental a discovery/tool as agriculture and gunpowder. This type of news is what sort of really excites me. That it seems too good to be true initially but with the more I read it's now just coming across as too good.

I keep mine in coinbase cos I hear if you lose your phone you lose the money that's in your crypto wallet and didn't trust that not to happen.

Trying to temper my hopes but would love to fulfill the dream (lol) of making a dope board company or contributing to skateboarding in some way like a skate school or something if I made a lot on it.

Read an article about the amount of energy needing to create a Bitcoin (that which its value is attributed to, $1000 bucks or so) being fraudulent, semi raising concerns, but at the same time the hundreds of articles I've seen critiquing bitcoin negatively and be proved wrong makes me think otherwise.

Think it's nearing 12k a coin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:35:43 AM by G raham »
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
Not sure if anyone here is interested in basic income, but a blockchain based project I've been following for a year just updated their site and roadmap.

The site is https://www.mannabase.com/ . If you feel like using me a referral use this link: https://www.mannabase.com/?ref=3hah9ai0yp

Pretty much just a way to not wait around for governments to implement a universal basic income and instead DIY.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 12:11:58 AM »
Market mechanism is a very unstable one. Instability is the natural state of capitalism. The only reason that instability doesnt get out of control is by the force of goverment. Law, army, police etc provide some stability mechanism against the chaos markets create. Cryptocurrencies fail to have that and I highly doubt they are a viable alternative to our present currency. Unless of course goverment backs them, which in first place means that they become like our presen currencies.

I know that making money out of thin air is very likeable as everyone hates working. However making money without working means you are a burden and someone else makes that money for you. Usually the third world or emerging economies. However that parasitic portion of economy becomes too big and real labour cant cope especially when it gets more and more devalued to cater the parasites. That's a perfect formula for crisis.

The fact that bitcoin is so unstable is an indication that is useless as a currency and an even higher indication that is a bubble. Some people will make money especially those who entered the fad early but most of the people, late to the party, will see their money vanish.

Another one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponzi_scheme
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:15:26 AM by Tufty »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »
Personally, based on what I know, these are my points comparing Ethereum vs Bitcoin:

1(Technological capacity/potential) Ethereum by far wins this one. Ethereum can do everything bitcoin can technologically wise PLUS can already - act as the new decentralised "server" for all Developer applications - allow for certain existing and new currencies/blockchain to merge and integrate into the ethereum blockchain.
Which then leads to - Dapps allowing IoT/smart devices that can communicate independently of each other( making stuff like auto selling excess solar power to neighbours/ drone delivery services / driverless car services/ airbnb auto lease services) - decentralised media outlets - decentralised identity database - finance decentralised international banking apps - realestate/automated inheritance apps/parliament voting list goes on basically anything you can think of as a business can be run on ethereum.

What's to come that bitcoin can't do - even more transaction capacity( necessary to run more apps/ more intensive stuff ) - sharding which allows data to be split and stored on computers world wide. ( every one holds 1 piece of a 2000 puzzle ) and we still make a full puzzle in the end - with more transaction+sharding Ethereum is set to become the new internet that is decentralised. Nobody can stop it ever. No government can. Every device on the planet will be a part of the super computer mind hive and to shut down or block any part of the internet, the world would have to turn off ALL devices that exist. If a single device exists, the internet lives. (Different from now, internet is being supplied by a few companies in the world, like AT&T or GTT while data is stored by Google/Amazon etc. All other internet providers get internet from them and supply it to you) - integration of quantum communication and computing transcending ethereum to the next level. We're talking about a super AI that can learn everything and anything and organise things to an unimaginable level based of everything it can access on the ethereum network(by then the ethereum network would have more information than google ever dreamt of) and the AI is answerable to nobody but the consensus of the population using the world AI run by ethereum.
That's as much as we know now of the capabilities of ethereum. There could be more. Compared to Bitcoin tech ,which was probably new 8 years ago but today, people are slow to catch on to it.

2(Economic security vs miner node count diversification) Ethereum has currently more hashrate security and node count than bitcoin. We overtook bitcoin as the world most secure blockchain by PoW and unique nodes. This means that we are effectively more decentralised than bitcoin and it will take someone with malicious intent more money to buy hardware to topple Ethereum than it would to topple bitcoin. The likelihood of Bitcoin suffering a 51% attack that will effectively destroy the blockchain is greater than Ethereum. Basically also it means that it's easier for someone to delete/ban your bitcoin in your wallet from being included in the chain if you're storing your life savings in bitcoin.

3(Transactional use case) Ethereum has long since surpassed (about a year now) the number of transactions that bitcoin is making per day namely due to more and more applications being run on the network. These are transactions that are from unique individus. Which means they aren't spam just for numbers. They're active use cases. Effectively ethereum is being used more than bitcoin.

4 (ETH(Ethereum is not ETH) vs BTC as a currency and its accessibility) Ethereum currently loses on this front as bitcoin has a first mover advantage and its branding as blockchain technology has definitely put itself head of the game. When u hear news broadcasts speak about Dapps and potentials of the blockchain technology, they often misunderstand that it is run on bitcoin. Truth be told, bitcoin can barely run any Dapps effectively. So it can't be said that bitcoin does that. Bitcoin can only be said to be used for a transfer of funds or store. Also having been mentioned about in the past few years and being notorious for numerous instances, bitcoin is more publicly known for the time being. I think from here on when we're talking about Dapps it is essential for developers to correct the news hosts that it's not blockchain technology, the technology behind bitcoin that makes it possible. But It's Ethereum technology that makes it possible. Re iterate that it is Ethereum technology. Because that's the truth. Misinformation is bad.

5 (Economical adoption and popularity) Currently, economically, bitcoin is being adopted much more than Ethereum. Being a good store value and its subsequent splits which gives early dumpers free money. This is likely to continue until ethereum is better known that it is superior to bitcoin in what it can do unfortunately.

6(Business adoption and integration) though economically Ethereum is losing to bitcoin currently, its business adoption has seen far greater support than bitcoin. Ethereum is growing and being adopted by businesses from all industries and it's a matter of time before products are ready where average customers would be using Ethereum on a daily basis.

7(Future target group prospects) future target groups and prospects shows ethereum in a greater light. Ethereum has a much larger base of use cases to appeal to. It's ability to become the hub of world commodity trading and service distribution is unmatched while also being the brain of worldly science research(because of the amount of computational power it is able to provide).

All in all Ethereum has yet to become the no.1 in economic dominance for blockchain technology, but it will be in a few years. Nobody expected amazon to be where they are today. No one could have imagined Jack Ma's ideas would make him so rich. No one dares to imagine Ethereum being the world dominator in the industries across the board.

Obviously, I'm biased towards Ethereum. The power consumption alone is ridiculous. Bitcoin's goal has always been to be a "currency" and Ethereum, I think, competes in the space by default of it's applications. There are tons to choose from but I think, as with stocks, it's important to understand the fundamentals. But of course, you can always trade, even then I shy away from smaller crypto unless I believe in their success. Same reason I don't like to play around with penny stocks. 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
I've had bitcoin change from some deep web stuff sitting in my coinbase wallet for years and it's now not change, like ~$50, and I'm sitting around wondering when to pull out and go buy beer
also just bought a meagre amount of litecoin, it'd be cool to double it but as of today I just hope to make my money back  ::)
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

taluk

• Rep: -31
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 03:15:56 PM »
somebody is making a bunch of money off this ponzi scheme

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
Vanguard Group makes $1.15-trillion AUM bet on blockchain technology that eliminates giant daily manual process

https://riabiz.com/a/2017/12/13/vanguard-group-makes-115-trillion-aum-bet-on-blockchain-technology-that-eliminates-giant-daily-manual-process

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 09:43:19 PM »
somebody is making a bunch of money off this ponzi scheme

Tether and Bitfinex. They are milking it right now.

G raham

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »
Anyone more into crypto lately? Posted in this thread a while ago as a semi dice roller and now am a complete believer. Anyone got some alts they wanna recommend ?
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:01 AM »
Anyone more into crypto lately? Posted in this thread a while ago as a semi dice roller and now am a complete believer. Anyone got some alts they wanna recommend ?

ETH, NEO, IOTA, REQ, XRB, OMG, ICX. PRL, BNB, GAS, WTC, LSK, SALT. Descending order, of course.

Pill_Cosby

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
Exchanging $250 USD worth of ŁTC for EOS.

I know they're math beanie babies but I can't help myself.

G raham

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 04:31:09 AM »
bump.

anyone getting more excited by the day lol

institutional investment has begun

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 05:58:52 AM »
I only put $13 in bitcoin cause I had it sitting in my robinhood account.
Made a strong $20 so far  8)

Still waiting for the day dogecoin blasts off

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
Invested $50 I'm XRP last week and it's down to $31, also invested $13 in GRT but it's up to $21, the highest was $34.

My bitcoin is up to $41 from $36. Megan Thee Stallion had a promotion where she gave money away and gave me $11 worth.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »
Invested $50 I'm XRP last week and it's down to $31, also invested $13 in GRT but it's up to $21, the highest was $34.

My bitcoin is up to $41 from $36. Megan Thee Stallion had a promotion where she gave money away and gave me $11 worth.

Not sure if you saw, but the reason XRP is down is because of a lawsuit pending against them, which is part of Ripple. Not sure the logistics of the suit or if it will rebound, but that's the reason.

Got pretty into crypto within the last few months. Very optimistic about the next couple of years. Obvious lots of hype around it, but mainstream adoption is necessary. Having people like Michael Saylor investing hundreds of millions in Bitcoin is great. With a shitty dollar and the way central banking is going, I don't see how more global forms of currencies doesn't keep growing.

Some predictions may be high, but I do see Bitcoin climbing to several hundred thousand dollars, or at least $100,000 in the next couple of years. Etheruem has lots of potential too.

Invested in a bunch of alt coins that hopefully can grow in big ways in 2021. Will see. I'm kicking myself for not listening to my friend who tried to convince me and my friends forever to get into Bitcoin. He got in when it was a couple hundred dollars and has been putting money into it every week for the last several years. He's fucking loaded right now.

Irvine-Sucks.com

G raham

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2020, 08:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not sure if you saw, but the reason XRP is down is because of a lawsuit pending against them, which is part of Ripple. Not sure the logistics of the suit or if it will rebound, but that's the reason.

Got pretty into crypto within the last few months. Very optimistic about the next couple of years. Obvious lots of hype around it, but mainstream adoption is necessary. Having people like Michael Saylor investing hundreds of millions in Bitcoin is great. With a shitty dollar and the way central banking is going, I don't see how more global forms of currencies doesn't keep growing.

Some predictions may be high, but I do see Bitcoin climbing to several hundred thousand dollars, or at least $100,000 in the next couple of years. Etheruem has lots of potential too.

Invested in a bunch of alt coins that hopefully can grow in big ways in 2021. Will see. I'm kicking myself for not listening to my friend who tried to convince me and my friends forever to get into Bitcoin. He got in when it was a couple hundred dollars and has been putting money into it every week for the last several years. He's fucking loaded right now.

just curious why didnt you listen to them? just seemed too pie in the sky/ too good to be true sort of thing?

been listening to michael saylor a  shittonne what a g

be careful about alts im growing more and more convinced theyre all useless

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2020, 09:04:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just curious why didnt you listen to them? just seemed too pie in the sky/ too good to be true sort of thing?

been listening to michael saylor a  shittonne what a g

be careful about alts im growing more and more convinced theyre all useless

I think I just didn't fully understand what crypto currencies were and also didn't have much money to invest in any. I think that common language issue will be a big part of what helps it grow in the coming years. So many people just don't understand Bitcoin or crypto in general, so they remain skeptical.

And I agree some alt coins are just trash, but certain ones I'm investing in I think have some real potential based on what they're doing overall and how they can be used. I'm trying not to just buy random alt coins without researching their uses and potential for big growth in the future.

And also, I'm ok with some higher risk investing. I've made a good amount of money this last year playing online poker and essentially transferred all of my profit to crypto, so it feels like a freeroll. That makes me less worried about such big daily shifts.

Irvine-Sucks.com

JohnMar

• Rep: -2
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2022, 02:20:01 AM »
I have learned a lot of useful information for myself, thank you

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
Putting all my money into cypto right now so in the future I'll be living a life of decadence.

How you ask? Haha, you're so stupid. A future lack of fiat currency in a country with already massively crippled social systems will inevitably result in serfdom. Present-day children, being late investors to buy into the blockchain will be our future serfs, because broken down, crypto is merely multilevel marketing, and the youth will be the bottom. Join me as I put my life savings of 12 dollars into WhopperCoin.

Posting this from a BK bathroom where I'm pump-and-dumping on the shitter.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »
These bots practicing thread necromancy are the fucking worst. I saw one recently tag a member..

Oh god, they’re learning!!!

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 11:39:03 AM »
Putting all my money into cypto right now so in the future I'll be living a life of decadence.

How you ask? Haha, you're so stupid. A future lack of fiat currency in a country with already massively crippled social systems will inevitably result in serfdom. Present-day children, being late investors to buy into the blockchain will be our future serfs, because broken down, crypto is merely multilevel marketing, and the youth will be the bottom. Join me as I put my life savings of 12 dollars into WhopperCoin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpmYuRc-AY

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »

Look at you, in all your irreverent glory.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2022, 06:40:28 AM »
Went all in on felchcoin at the top. Now I'm down 98% like a true diamond hand pimp.

Buy the dip.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2022, 07:33:05 AM »
John Mcafee, the creator of Mcafee anti virus shit which you probably have on your computer says it [Etherum] might hit a million by 2020.

This aged well lol.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »
Expand Quote
John Mcafee, the creator of Mcafee anti virus shit which you probably have on your computer says it [Etherum] might hit a million by 2020.
[close]

This aged well lol.

He still hasn't cut off his penis and eaten it like he promised, because he died. Fucking loser.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast