Author Topic: Los Angeles  (Read 9379 times)

tommyjohn

Los Angeles
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
I'll be spending a week in Los Angeles on a hiking trip to Yosemite and was wondering what skate shops are there in the city that are not Active or Zumiez. Also any recommendations on what to do in Los Angeles, anything not kooky  ;D 

Cheeers

Pigeon

Re: Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
LA Skate Co has a decent selection and prices. I felt ripped off, when I bought shit from the shop in Japantown. If you're willing to go to Hollywood, Pharmacy is cool. Other than skating, the only shit I found to do was eating and drinking. A lot of places have good happy hour deals. I mainly just checked out famous spots that I've seen in skate videos and needed out. Go check out the UCI campus. It's like an hour away. I went to some parks and met/skated with a lot of random people. Someone else might be better at helping you, because I don't have too many interests.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
I had a bad experience at Pharmacy Hollywood so i personally wouldn't recommend it. Non factory in koreatown has always been a go to since i was kid and has one of the biggest selections in anything you need. I stopped by Lotties not to long ago too and although its smaller the vibe is great there and they have good people running it. Food wise if you haven't ate there before check out Roscoes Chicken and waffles, its amazing   ;)

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
Lotties and Supreme for boards, go to Gardena to get ramen at Shin-Sen-Gumi Hakata.

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
I moved from LA about 5 years ago because....fuck driving/parking/traffic.

Transport was the local shop for me - they're in Eagle Rock. Sunset beer co is a great beer spot and you can also get it to go then walk over to the nearby park. Auntie em's is a good brunch spot. CaCao is a great place for some good mexican food/mole'. Eagle rock brewery is probably my favorite brewery & the guys who run it are super chill.

Masa's vegan deep dish pizza  :o. I'm vegan but have tried the normal one and, holy shit, it's even better. Cafe de leche was the local coffee spot.

Probably pretty obvious that I lived in Eagle Rock. Lemme know if you're looking for anything specific and I can probably point you in the right direction.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »
It all depends on where in LA you are staying/ what transportation you will have.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
Depends what you wanna do, but I would suggest just going to the shop Courthouse... next to the infamous Courthouse skate spot. It's technically in West LA Courthouse, but almost in Santa Monica.
It's a smaller shop, but they carry all the more current brands like Quasi, ect. You can also cross the street and go skate the courthouse right after.

For food, there are a ton of places depending on what you're hungry for in that area. Lots of Asian food, Taco's are always easy to find (Wahoos fish tacos are decent and right there or Mexican street tacos are everywhere), my personal favorite is ChaCha Chicken. It's a solid Caribbean/Spanish restaurant. 

After that, just jump on the highway north and you'll be on your way to Yosemite.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »
non skate stuff:
-griffith observatory (free science/space museum that overlooks the whole city; beautiful viewpoint)
-LACMA
-Museum of death
-tons of great record stores
-comedy store if you're into comedy at all
-grand central market

Plop

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:03:55 PM »
Depends what you wanna do, but I would suggest just going to the shop Courthouse... next to the infamous Courthouse skate spot. It's technically in West LA Courthouse, but almost in Santa Monica.

I was in LA in June and stopped by that shop. Looks like it shut down.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:16:32 AM »
You might be hiked out but the Runyon canyon hike has a nice view and its pretty quick and easy......

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
Hi guys
i'm coming to La in november do u think if a i'll have an Air B6B in Wets Hollywood is easy to move around the city without a car?
how about the Metro in LA?
any tips?
is a full skate trip and i'll like to move to San Francisco to for a few day.
Thanks in advance

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:52 AM »
West hollywood is a nightmare WITH a car (as is most of LA ;)

Depends on where you want to go? Street spots or Parks?

West side as some great parks (Venice, Stoner, Cove -got to pay at the cove), Courthouse of course...

Shop-wise Pharmacy as mentioned, RipCity in Santa Monica, Venice Originals in Venice - all good but small selection.

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »

West side as some great parks (Venice, Stoner, Cove -got to pay at the cove), Courthouse of course...

Shop-wise Pharmacy as mentioned, RipCity in Santa Monica, Venice Originals in Venice - all good but small selection.

Do u think it can works using the public transport in the city?i'm not into driving too much.
What Bout LA Skateshop?

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do u think it can works using the public transport in the city?i'm not into driving too much.
What Bout LA Skateshop?

Pharmacy fucking sucks. Brooklyn Projects isn't perfect but def better and in close. weho is probably the best spot to be without car. you'll be close-ish to Gardner and Supreme as well as tons of good food. the subway will get you to downtown. Ubers are wild cheap in LA esp if you're ok with pooling.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:06:00 AM »
What is the scene like there? I'm from the east coast and I couldn't understand what goes on when I visited. There were beginner skaters, and then there were really good skaters. I'm 29 but I'm not consistently good, kind of film a trick a month and just chill at plazas and shit. I'm planning on moving to Koreatown in a few weeks and I'm like shit, I hope I can make friends and be down with a crew like you can in different north east cities. Because skating is so ubiquitous there, it seemed like a different culture, like people not just sticking together. Shit, I don't really know how to word what I'm thinking properly cause what I'm tying sounds kind of regular.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
No it's knot.....

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
What is the scene like there? I'm from the east coast and I couldn't understand what goes on when I visited. There were beginner skaters, and then there were really good skaters. I'm 29 but I'm not consistently good, kind of film a trick a month and just chill at plazas and shit. I'm planning on moving to Koreatown in a few weeks and I'm like shit, I hope I can make friends and be down with a crew like you can in different north east cities. Because skating is so ubiquitous there, it seemed like a different culture, like people not just sticking together. Shit, I don't really know how to word what I'm thinking properly cause what I'm tying sounds kind of regular.

Well I'm 35, skate alone the majority of the time and am far from good but hit me up.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

tommyjohn

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 09:43:34 PM »
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions with everything related to doing things in Los Angeles. 

I ended up going to Runyon Canyon and Joshua Tree Park, but no luck at bringing any LA skate souvenirs back with me.

I can say that I know California is known for the heat but Los Angeles is unbearable with the smog and heat combination w/ no wind. I was praying for a day where there was wind so I could actually spend the day outside and not continuously seek shade where ever I go. Jeez, I don't know how people in LA are able to walk in the heat in a beanie. It makes no sense, especially to someone who is only used to wear beanies/toques during the winter.

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions with everything related to doing things in Los Angeles. 

I ended up going to Runyon Canyon and Joshua Tree Park, but no luck at bringing any LA skate souvenirs back with me.

I can say that I know California is known for the heat but Los Angeles is unbearable with the smog and heat combination w/ no wind. I was praying for a day where there was wind so I could actually spend the day outside and not continuously seek shade where ever I go. Jeez, I don't know how people in LA are able to walk in the heat in a beanie. It makes no sense, especially to someone who is only used to wear beanies/toques during the winter.

lol LA is nothing compared to Phoenix. Do yourself a big favor and don't come here.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »
Doing an Cali/vegas/sf trip this september.
Looking for vegan resto/cool skateshops/acai bowl/...
Since all of you praise the outlet shops, where are they located?
thx

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »
thx

Lotties in LA (thanks sad hippo) and FTC in SF.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
thx

LA Vegan food:
tatsu ramen (go on an off hour)
ramen hood
burgerlords
Cafe Gratitude
Doomie's Home Cookin
You can also lurk Kenny Anderson's instagram. He's always eating at vegan spots in LA/SF
throw a rock in LA and you'll hit a spot with an acai bowl. costco has them for $4.99 in their food court if you want to go cheap.

If you find yourself around Long Beach, Furnace and Long Beach Skate are good shops