Author Topic: COFFEE BREAK with the Vans Andrew Allen Slip On  (Read 7507 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1170
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
COFFEE BREAK with the Vans Andrew Allen Slip On
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »
A COFFEE BREAK WITH THE VANS ANDREW ALLEN SLIP ON
( )

I recently decided to check out the Andrew Allen ("AA") Slip-On... here's my thoughts after a session or two and a coffee or two (or three or four)

Toe Shape
The biggest difference between the AA Slip-On and a Vans slip-on pro is the toe cap and the toe shape.  Whether it's an after-effect of having the toe cap or a conscious decision, the AA Slip-On's toe is both wider and shallower.  For wide feet (like me), this means my pinky toe doesn't rub against the sidewall and the shoe fits snugger on top of my foot.

So, compared to the regular slip-on pro, I think the AA fits better/snugger... which helps when you like your slip-ons to be tight rather than move around on your foot.

Sidewall/Canvas
I'm a fan of canvas, especially on Vans.  On the AA, the canvas seems stronger/stiffer than on the classic versions, and it has the 'ol DuraCap stuff underneath. If you look at the photo below, you can see where the DuraCap is under the canvas.? I'm pretty lightfooted when it comes to shredd'n up shoes, so there's actually not a whole lot of wear yet... but it looks like the DuraCap is gonna give em a little more life when I get there

Compared to Cons slip-on
When I first saw the AA slip on, I assumed it looked pretty close to the Cons slip-on.  But, nope, the Cons slip-on has higher sidewalls/foxing, while the AA has an actual toe cap.  I couldn't skate in the Cons slip-ons because they are just too beefy and stiff and heavy. ?

The Collar
A common complaint with Vans is the collar of the shoe gives blisters or is too hard/sharp.  The AA is very comfortable thanks to the leather collar... it also helps that the shoe fits a bit more snug than the regular slip-on pros like I explained above.

Insole

Lunarlon from the Cons slip on on the left.  AA ultracush insole in the middle, and an average Adidas insole on the right. 

Final Thoughts
The AA isn't a revolutionary new shoe from Vans, but for me, it fits and skates better than the regular slip-on pros because of the wider/shallower toe area.  I'm definitely going to try to grab a pair of the navy ones if I can find em.  Hopefully it'll become a regular staple in the line-up. 

AA shreddin

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:41:07 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

patrick c.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Re: COFFEE BREAK with the Vans Andrew Allen Slip On
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
Can't see myself skating these but hyped on the thread title and the links to all the AA footage
All you got is today, get out and skate.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »
I will skate them only because they're an Andrew Allen shoe. I'm usually a 9.5 in Vans, but am a 10 in slip ons because of my wide foot. I can't skate in a 9.5 slip on at all, so should I keep on with the 10 for these art?

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:46 AM »

Thank you ver much for this. Really useful. Love your thorough reviews.

(you should consider setting up a COFEE BREAK website)

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
I want a pair of these, but I usually have too much heel slip in my 10.5 normal vans size

If I go down to a 10, maybe this will work for me with the wider toe area

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
I will skate them only because they're an Andrew Allen shoe. I'm usually a 9.5 in Vans, but am a 10 in slip ons because of my wide foot. I can't skate in a 9.5 slip on at all, so should I keep on with the 10 for these art?

stay with the 10 then... I think they'll be just a bit more snug than the usual 10 you wear, but not all scrunchy like a 9.5

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
I want a pair of these, but I usually have too much heel slip in my 10.5 normal vans size

I'd recommend using a different insole than the Vans ultracush... on some models I've noticed the new ones sit higher and make your heel sit about the "pocket" where they should be.  If you can find an insole like the regular adidas insoles, then maybe that can help your heel slip. 

N.L.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:07:41 PM »
I love slip on pros and I love Andrew Allen. I'm sure I will love these but they slips ons are so bad for my old haggard feets...

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »
I love slip on pros and I love Andrew Allen. I'm sure I will love these but they slips ons are so bad for my old haggard feets...

for real. just watching people skate in slip ons makes the top of my feet hurt. I think i'd be too scared to even attempt to flip my board wearing those. but i guess looking that cool makes the pain bearable.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
These look like really good shoes,
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
Not for skating, you can only skate them until your board hits the top of your foot.

Put it like this, do you think AA skates Vans slip ons without a hook up? NAWWW  ::)

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:06 PM »
There not made for everything, I see the point in them probably having obvious flaws, but I've skated slip ons a few times and for lower impact or other types of skating it makes good shoes
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
I found a pair of the Pro Slip On's with the rubber ollie guard thing for $10 in Venice. They are great for chilling, but skating them leaves quite a bit to be desired in terms of protection. I rolled the fuck out of my ankle skating the big bank at LA High in them.

Size up. I wear a 11.5 in Vans Kyle Walkers and the 12 Slip On Pros fit perfectly.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not for skating, you can only skate them until your board hits the top of your foot.

Put it like this, do you think AA skates Vans slip ons without a hook up? NAWWW  ::)

A lot of skaters put fashion over their safety like dylan rieder. I know gravis had good insoles but there's no fucking way they were supportive enough for the shit he was skating.

Saw some dude shredding yesterday in hot as fuck sunny weather wearing all black long sleeve shit and a black winter hat

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »
I found a pair of the Pro Slip On's with the rubber ollie guard thing for $10 in Venice. They are great for chilling, but skating them leaves quite a bit to be desired in terms of protection. I rolled the fuck out of my ankle skating the big bank at LA High in them.

Size up. I wear a 11.5 in Vans Kyle Walkers and the 12 Slip On Pros fit perfectly.

I've been skating em and definitely agreee on the sizing up. Step one in that shoe is throw away the ultracush insole , it's too thick for the shoes depth.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

ZEBRA

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been skating em and definitely agreee on the sizing up. Step one in that shoe is throw away the ultracush insole , it's too thick for the shoes depth.

Different strokes for different folks.

I wore a 10.5 in the Kyle Walker and in the Slip-On Pro's I'm currently skating. Had no problems. Love both shoes. Ultracush is the best insole out, in my opinion. Surprisingly supportive in the arch, where it usually lacks in other shoes/insoles. And it actually is soft and not thin.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 04:42:58 AM »
I still like lunarlon best but the ultracush are pretty good. I couldn't fit my foot in the regular slip ons with them in though, so I'd be bummed having to ditch them in the AAs.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wore a 10.5 in the Kyle Walker and in the Slip-On Pro's I'm currently skating. Had no problems. Love both shoes. Ultracush is the best insole out, in my opinion. Surprisingly supportive in the arch, where it usually lacks in other shoes/insoles. And it actually is soft and not thin.

I'm confused/high did you guys size up for the Kyle Walkers?

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »

Same here, I love slip on shoes and watching Andrew Allen gets me in the mood to go out and skate. It's just that my feet & ankles can't take the abuse of wearing anything but a high top cup sole. Sucks too, because they look like an awesome shoe overall.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

ZEBRA

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »
I still like lunarlon best but the ultracush are pretty good. I couldn't fit my foot in the regular slip ons with them in though, so I'd be bummed having to ditch them in the AAs.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm confused/high did you guys size up for the Kyle Walkers?

TTS BRUH. TRUE TO SIZE. FOR ME AT LEAST NAH MEAN?? SWAG SWAG

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230

jam

• Rep: -1
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
Just bought these because of your review. Damn they are tight which is good. I do feel like they are a bit shallow so I swapped insoles.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »
rad, glad you found it helpful.  I also swapped out the ultracush insoles for some Adidas insoles from some busenitz pros... helped the fit of the shoes immensely.

Jonny Utah

• Rep: -32
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
what shoe will you be reviewing next?

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 02:28:21 PM »
what shoe will you be reviewing next?

anything you can send me in a size 10.5 or 11.

snaked plissken

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • FxOxAxD
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »
tried them on and my foot wouldn't even stay in the shoe. had the same problem with my last AA vans slip ons (black/gum)...they're extra shallow.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
tried them on and my foot wouldn't even stay in the shoe. had the same problem with my last AA vans slip ons (black/gum)...they're extra shallow.

I wish they?d raise the heel to compensate for the different sole in the pro slip  ons..
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.