Author Topic: Which skaters give back to the community?  (Read 2588 times)

Trashcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
Re: Which skaters give back to the community?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »
Andrew Allen if you look at his latest story.

Was going to mention this. That was cool of him.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 01:07:34 PM »
sluggo at the turn of the millennium was always handing out new/used skate goods at the parks, incredible dude.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »
1 Rodney Mullen legitimised skating among college academics and so was a key player in the deconstruction of 'rebel skateboarding'

2 Sky Brown seeded a skate future with more female participants

Can you explain this please?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 01:26:29 PM »
the supreme crowd/Fat Bill seems to be hooking up the locals at the plazas they've been filming at (EMB, Italy, Paris, Muni).

That's just bait for more cut scenes of malnourished shirtless teens
Suns out, im going skating. chow

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 02:38:21 PM »
Stevie Williams/DGK gives out completes to kids at some events they set up every now and then

Algar

• Rep: 28

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 07:14:37 PM »
Expand Quote
1 Rodney Mullen legitimised skating among college academics and so was a key player in the deconstruction of 'rebel skateboarding'

[close]

maybe he just wanted to practise his pubic speaking, but whatever, it would have been hard work for him and it raised the profile of skaters at a time before the present pubic mind set, he never promoted his product so seemed altruistic to me
however, it could be construed that he tried to control the narrative and paint himself as the godfather of street skating and increase his personal mana
so yea I could be wrong, my bad, thanks for questioning my post and exposing any hidden agenda that may be encrypted here
but also it could be said that many of the other skaters charitable actions could also have a personal agenda hidden like tax advantages for foundations

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:31:45 PM by Wheelbyte »

livin on a speyer

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
Stevie Williams/DGK gives out completes to kids at some events they set up every now and then
He has robbed skatekids back in the day so maybe he is just making amends.

waffle

• Rep: 125
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 07:38:11 PM »
Those Mullen videos... 😂

Back to thread- Ryan Lay, Tim Ward, and everyone in Skate After School.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

maybe he just wanted to practise his pubic speaking, but whatever, it would have been hard work for him and it raised the profile of skaters at a time before the present pubic mind set, he never promoted his product so seemed altruistic to me
however, it could be construed that he tried to control the narrative and paint himself as the godfather of street skating and increase his personal mana
so yea I could be wrong, my bad, thanks for questioning my post and exposing any hidden agenda that may be encrypted here
but also it could be said that many of the other skaters charitable actions could also have a personal agenda hidden like tax advantages for foundations

I get where you are coming from and I didn't realize he had that many TED/TEDx talks. However, I feel Rodney kind of pushes pseudo-science when it comes to his pop-psychology talks.

I'd argue the two people who deserve the most credit for making skateboarding something academics are allowed to study are Ian Borden and Becky Beal (and then Ocean Howell). The two are totally different in their approach, but they both just get it. Borden's new book is pretty cool. (Also, I'm going to argue Snyder's academic skate book is the absolute worst. It is a misinformed love letter to Aaron Snyder and Street League.)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ghost Face

• Rep: 107
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 12:53:51 AM »
Whether you like them or not, the shecklers, the Nyjahs, the Hawks... all those skaters that have a foundation behind them

That's just clever money management and tax write off's. Their financially advisers set those up and run those. They just show up to shake hands and hand over queues, most of the time not knowing why.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Ghost Face

• Rep: 107
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 12:55:49 AM »
Expand Quote
the supreme crowd/Fat Bill seems to be hooking up the locals at the plazas they've been filming at (EMB, Italy, Paris, Muni).
[close]

That's just bait for more cut scenes of malnourished shirtless teens

"we're taking over your spot for the next few hours/days. Stay out the way and here's a tee."
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 01:27:45 AM »
I'm from a city next to where tiago came from and I can say, he is one of the most helpful guys in terms of helping poor people that have nothing, he give away a lot of clothes/skate stuff, help people with money etc, he didnt change, he still the same guy, first time I saw tiago he had a broken arm and was doing ss hardflip bs five o like in 2008/2009~, will always respect that dude, he is what you guys see in videos, hes exacly that.

Would gnar.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 01:33:07 AM »

Hookin em up with underwear, but no shirts. Bit weird.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2021, 02:26:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Whether you like them or not, the shecklers, the Nyjahs, the Hawks... all those skaters that have a foundation behind them
[close]

That's just clever money management and tax write off's. Their financially advisers set those up and run those. They just show up to shake hands and hand over queues, most of the time not knowing why.

Not talking about their intentions, but their actions. Those guys raised more money for the "community" and put it to use than any other that I've read so far in this thread.

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Wheelbyte

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 03:38:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I get where you are coming from and I didn't realize he had that many TED/TEDx talks. However, I feel Rodney kind of pushes pseudo-science when it comes to his pop-psychology talks.

I'd argue the two people who deserve the most credit for making skateboarding something academics are allowed to study are Ian Borden and Becky Beal (and then Ocean Howell). The two are totally different in their approach, but they both just get it. Borden's new book is pretty cool. (Also, I'm going to argue Snyder's academic skate book is the absolute worst. It is a misinformed love letter to Aaron Snyder and Street League.)

I'm just a kid in skate years so all this is new to me, but I did just google a bit and found a college panel discussion with these guys you mention. Mullens Ted intellectualism wore pretty thin on me too, its the same tiny amount of content repackaged. He should have only done one or two.

Every week I attend a few evening lectures at Auckland University, but am starting to question the futility of corporate academia, when a brave new world in waiting is being held back from us due to financial interests, that generally are more interested in dumbing down.

If anything I think skateboarding is wagging the 'community dog' from the grounded solidness of its anarchistic imperative. Like trying to herd cats, corporate pressure on skateboarding to conform is seeing itself in the mirror. An aging and authoritarian disciplinarian, impotently trying to train the feline.

And regarding skaters giving back to the community, it may be the street wisdom of the punk slacker at the back of the class who never does homework and has poor grades, yet is smart and has potential written all over him, that may be skating's greatest gift to the community. Keeping mainstream bullshit real. Like a cell growth modulator in the body of man.

Todays skaters, rebellious youth and other neuro-outsiders like aspies and adhders, are destined to remain the community amusers, musicians, jesters, comedians, tumblers and street acrobats of our time. Probably as they have always been. A muse for the masses.

A band of misfits 'wanting to belong on their own terms', to quote one of Mullens Ted talks...

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:31 AM »
Could we somehow affix trash picker uppers to skateboards and clean the streets as we skate? Your crew could turn into a street sweeper rolling down the block. Probably make the old folks happy.
already on it

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Wheelbyte

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Could we somehow affix trash picker uppers to skateboards and clean the streets as we skate? Your crew could turn into a street sweeper rolling down the block. Probably make the old folks happy.
[close]
already on it

fuck stooping over to sweep, needs a telescopic handle that screws off

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2021, 06:19:34 PM »
skroom but make it attach to the hole of a krux truck so you can be a street sweeper

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2021, 06:19:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
already on it

[close]

wow! i mean, its almost like,

just get a fucking broom mate and leave it under a ramp
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
already on it

[close]

[close]

wow! i mean, its almost like,

just get a fucking broom mate and leave it under a ramp
Scumco made a nice push broom that broke down into three separate pieces a few years ago. It's still in the car due to its practicality.

winnasoda

• Rep: -31
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2021, 09:56:59 AM »
Jeff Grosso

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2021, 11:53:41 AM »
Heard Mikey Taylor has been cleaning up the neighborhood

https://merryjane.com/culture/the-ganja-grind-why-is-skater-mikey-taylors-real-estate-firm-trying-to-gentrify-long-beach
not really big on the prison industrial complex, but i think mikey taylor should have to do at least 5 years in somewhere like leavenworth

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2021, 12:40:33 PM »
Expand Quote
When it comes to giving back to the community(outside of just skateboarding I mean) do you guys know any skaters that have actively helped with noble causes, fund raises, etc?
[close]

Fred Gall

homie actually saved some monks and cats from a burning wat/temple in Cambodia

Manny Santiago has the Manny Santiago Foundation. idk if they actually do anything, but I think I read somewhere that he's helping kids out in the barrios in PR.

On a macro level, the mission of skatistan was dope. I'm not big on forced education, but after spending time in Cambodia and seeing the street/slum life for too many of the kids and their families, this shit is tight as fuck.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »
dustin henry - nations skate youth, empowering the youth of indigenous communities.
nestor judkins & kenny reed - salad days of skateboarding.
mark suciu & jahn perez have helped set up skateboards for kids in their community.
elissa steamer has a night at the balboa theatre where they screen skate classics like "thrashin'" and "gleaming the cube", helping out small independent theaters.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3