Author Topic: Scared to go to a skatepark  (Read 10609 times)

Zae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Scared to go to a skatepark
« on: September 16, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
So I've been skating for almost 2 months I think and I'm pretty good at riding. Ollies are like 60% set. I wanted to go to the skatepark for a while now but I'm scared bc I can't really do shit on my board.. should I keep trying by myself before I go over there? I really don't want to make myself look like fool in front of people. I was thinking of just going to watch them but wouldn't that make me look like a fucking creep? Plz help me

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Scared to go to a skatepark
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
NO at least learn to ride down the driveway and off curbs/small drops first.

Zae

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
I could do that already dawg

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
Go early in the morning to get a feel for the park when it's not as crowded.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »
If you go dressed in drag people will mock you for your kit and not your abilities, so you'd be completely free to skate at whatever level feels comfortable for you and your skill set would go virtually unnoticed by everyone.

Pigeon

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
You have to not give a fuck. It was easier for me because I would always hear shit from people driving by. "Do a kickflip, faggot," and shit like that. You have to develop a thick skin and not care about what people say/think. If you aren't popping your board that high and can't do manuals, learn to drop in or carve around transition. Everyone that skates all sucked at one point or still suck. In the end, you can't take yourself or anyone to seriously. It's supposed to be fun and everyone starts with the basics.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
Most people at skateparks suck.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »
i wouldnt stress too much about it, just stay out of peoples way and it should be aight depending on the park/park vibe. and if your park experience goes anything like how mine did, then get used to getting weird looks and getting pissed when people crowd obstacles all of a sudden right when you start trying something.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
Go early......get competent at riding all around the park....

Mongoloid

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
If you're chill and not an asshole you should be fine. Also seeing skating in person, and getting pointers from other skaters in the flesh is probably the best way to learn. Hype can be the biggest motivator, and I know personally speaking it took one night of skating with a group of kids in my formative skate years that were better than myself to get me officially hooked.

There can always be vibey douches in skating, but mostly you are part of a greater brotherhood just based on the fact that you step on the board.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
I wouldnt overthink it dude, everybody starts somewhere but i guess if your local park gets really busy just choose your times to go when its not so packed, like someone else suggested, go early mornings to get a nice feel for it.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 01:17:51 AM »
first off, if you go, definitely skate. it doesn't matter how skilled you are or what you're trying, as long as you don't get in everybody's way, which is what people really will notice and might get mad at you for.

as the other posters above suggested, go early and once you get there, prior to skating, please just take a minute aside to study what everybody else is doing - the turns people are taking, the obstacles everybody is trying to skate, the lines (the paths people take around the park), basically just watch the ongoing patterns and make sure you don't break them, that's pretty much how skateparks work and what defines whether or not you'll get in people's way. if you don't mess up the flow of the park people won't (or shouldn't) go after you.

common beginner mistake is to assume a skatepark is just some wild 'skate playground' where everybody is just doing everything at random, so you think you can do the same in return and claim whatever obstacle you feel like whenever you feel like going, snaking other people, never waiting for your turn (not even realizing people are trying to take turns)... newcomers need to develop a certain awareness of that in order to grasp how a skatepark functions but really once you have you realize it's just basic common sense.

with that in mind don't overthink things, just go and skate !

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
If you ever sac up and go you have to bring regional gifts for all the locals. Baskets of local fruits or whatever. You don't want to seem like a pussy so just hand out the baskets and give a quick little kiss and an "I love you" and you should be okay. Don't hang around and make it queer or anything. Bow, gift, kiss, "I love you", go skate. It might sound weird typed out like this but they'll be expecting it so don't get hung up.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »
beware of the helicopter stunt scooters everywhere, they'll rip your head off before you see them coming
and don't worry, skaters will be happy to see a kid on a skate and not on one these annoying toys, but don't snake them, or they'll throw you in the helicopter slaughter machine

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Definitely go to a skatepark, you will learn faster and make friends. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Two things are key:
- don't get in people's way (it will happen anyways, but always check if the obstacle you're trying to hit next is clear of people)
- always queue for your tricks on a obstacle that more people are skating at your same time

People will give you shit anyways even if you're polite and apoligize, but mind those often do that because they're insecure about themselves and their own personality/skating so try not to take that too seriously.
Enjoy  :)
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
watch for the lanes of traffic, stay out of peoples way and if someone is better than you, let them say hi first...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
Yes....watch where everyone skates....you'll figure out their patterns and it'll give you ideas on how you'll want to skate.....

It's not uncommon where people get all offended that the locals didn't say hi to you or whatever.....that happens....it's usually because they are weird, juvenile and socially inept....not because they don't like you.....usually if you make the first move and say hi....they aren't too bad...

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
I get scared too, not because of my skills but cuz I'm claustrophobic. When skating in a park I feel like a fish in a fishbowl. Why do that to myself when there's a ocean out there?

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
If you ever sac up and go you have to bring regional gifts for all the locals. Baskets of local fruits or whatever. You don't want to seem like a pussy so just hand out the baskets and give a quick little kiss and an "I love you" and you should be okay. Don't hang around and make it queer or anything. Bow, gift, kiss, "I love you", go skate. It might sound weird typed out like this but they'll be expecting it so don't get hung up.

Tried this over the weekend and got my ass kicked and the local fruits shoved up my ass, i think its cause ii forgot to bow, i didnt realise the impact a lack of bowing has

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 03:31:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried this over the weekend and got my ass kicked and the local fruits shoved up my ass, i think its cause ii forgot to bow, i didnt realise the impact a lack of bowing has

I can't believe you would be so rude to strangers

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »

more skaters than not get hyped when they see someone trying. there's a little period of 'is this person a poser or actually trying to learn?'. ask for tips if you find yourself in the middle of a playground session, play skate with others, bring a couple friends, bring weed and beer as peace offerings, also try going to any spots that are around or make yourself a regular at your shop and meet some other skaters that way and show up in a group.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:22:09 AM by posguy »

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
I've learned so much more skating from other people than I have on my own. That's especially important with fundamentals. No amount of slo-moing skate videos or watching youtube tutorials will help you as much as that dude at the park.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 01:46:01 PM »
watch for the lanes of traffic, stay out of peoples way and if someone is better than you, let them say hi first...

Don't forget to signal and be sure to yell "Yeeeeee" every time anyone lands a trick.

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »
anyone that skates is a real insecure loser, so judging from your post you will fit right in, be yourself, bate before you get to the park or else you will just stare at the 2 girls there who are beter than you. chances are everyone will go easy on you and if you look extra dumb someone might teach you a trick.
Rule #1-always remember skateboarding is a bait and switch (bate then learn that shit switch)

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:45 PM »
Leave the vape pen, element shirt, and fox hat at home. You'll be fine.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 12:28:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

more skaters than not get hyped when they see someone trying. there's a little period of 'is this person a poser or actually trying to learn?'. ask for tips if you find yourself in the middle of a playground session, play skate with others, bring a couple friends, bring weed and beer as peace offerings, also try going to any spots that are around or make yourself a regular at your shop and meet some other skaters that way and show up in a group.

This. Go to the local shop, find nearby spots, and eventually there'll be people you know at the park now and then. Just say hi, don't be too self conscious, and always remember not to stare at the two girls that are better than you.

Pigeon

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 02:31:56 AM »
^
^
You two should add, “Don’t reply to dead threads,” to your New Year’s resolutions list.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
^
^
You two should add, “Don’t reply to dead threads,” to your New Year’s resolutions list.

Hey man, once homeboy brought it back, it wasn't dead anymore!