Author Topic: Rain setup  (Read 5826 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Rain setup
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
do any of you have one? I'm thinking of setting one up. here in the rainy pnw it would get some good use.

JusticeAbberdash

Re: Rain setup
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
I think those P2 boards with the carbon insert make good rain boards. I rode one in snow, rain, etc.. and the pop and such doesn't feel any different than the day I bought it.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:15 PM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
I found an old Jeff Kendal reissue w bombers and it's great.....funny how the bearings run good....

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
My friend/old roommate had a rain board that I used to borrow a bunch so I set up my own.  I just use whatever cheap bearings I can find with soft cruiser wheels, old trucks and whatever razortailed deck I don't care about. 
All you got is today, get out and skate.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »
do any of you have one? I'm thinking of setting one up. here in the rainy pnw it would get some good use.

what part of pnw

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:55:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw

western washington

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:01:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington

that's whats up. Try and enjoy the rain

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

thanks. I will. are you in the pnw too?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

[close]

Born and raised in Enumclaw. Not sure if you know were that is but its a really small town. I live in Hawaii now.But I visit home pretty often to film and see family and friends.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 05:51:40 AM »
I just built out a brand new setup that is 90% the same parts as my beat up set up so i'm retiring the beat one to a rain/snow board

Jonny Utah

• Rep: -32
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
when I lived in Oregon I ran an old 8.5, mini logo bearings, used ace trucks and OJ 60mm Hot Juice wheels that held up really well, I had to re grip that setup a few times but I am a big fan of rain boards 

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

[close]

[close]

Born and raised in Enumclaw. Not sure if you know were that is but its a really small town. I live in Hawaii now.But I visit home pretty often to film and see family and friends.

I've heard of Enumclaw but don't think I've ever been there. I grew up in Snohomish County. Hawaii is a place I've thought about living. Maybe when I'm a retiree and surfing will be the better option.

Mongoloid

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
Borderline not on topic, but I ended up getting rained out bombing a relatively mellow hill about a year back, and I was using those cheap Indy bearings with a metal shield. Immediately after the session they seized up (as one would expect), and were nearly unridable. It was the only board setup I had a couple hours from home, so I rode through it till eventually they loosened back up. Now they are one of the fastest set of bearings I own. I don't understand why, and I certainly would not recommend them to anyone, but somehow the rain and dirt caused my bearings to improve.

That's my shit story, and now I too wanna build a rain/snow setup.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »
I went to lolapalooza in enumclaw.....

Skating through puddles is fun.....

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
Borderline not on topic, but I ended up getting rained out bombing a relatively mellow hill about a year back, and I was using those cheap Indy bearings with a metal shield. Immediately after the session they seized up (as one would expect), and were nearly unridable. It was the only board setup I had a couple hours from home, so I rode through it till eventually they loosened back up. Now they are one of the fastest set of bearings I own. I don't understand why, and I certainly would not recommend them to anyone, but somehow the rain and dirt caused my bearings to improve.

That's my shit story, and now I too wanna build a rain/snow setup.

I once skated home in the rain with my cruiser set up which had Bones Reds in there. I was drunk and hungover and busy the next couple of days so I couldn't be bothered sorting out the bearings right away. They seized up completely and were rusty as fuck. I took them apart, cleaned them properly and after that they've been the most excellent bearings I've had. This was over two years ago and they're still going strong. Maybe rusting up your bearings is the secret trick to make them last.  :)

Also thinking about that time and the stories in this thread, I kinda wanna make a rain set up myself now too. Got all the other shit I'd need except stainless steel bearings. Maybe next time I get some skate stuff, I'll try to find some stainless steel bearings also.  :)

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've heard of Enumclaw but don't think I've ever been there. I grew up in Snohomish County. Hawaii is a place I've thought about living. Maybe when I'm a retiree and surfing will be the better option.

Hawaii isn't the place you'd want to move to unless you know you're going to have a good stable job. Foreign investors are buying up property like crazy, driving up the cost of living and homes. Making $53k a year is considered "low income".

But if you wanna retire out here, have lots of money saved up, then go for it! I'd recommend not Oahu though.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
i have one. it was originally just a second setup, but i ended up skating in the rain with it so now its all heavy and squeaky so now its exclusively a rain board. its a welcome 8.something, ace 44s with slipped axles, 50-something mm welcome wheels and rusty bearings.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
I got a cruiser which ended up being a board for bad weather, its a welcome 8.6 from last summer, with thunders, mini logos (not worth spending much if they may get ruined fast) and 55 spitfires, I forget the exact type of spitfire but one of the softer ones. Its nice to have a board that i don't care about considering theres snow/melting snow for over half of the year here.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yea not much in the claw you aint missing nothing. Snoho is super sick. Its expensive over here man. Like everything. Luckily me and my wife don't have to worry about it because shes in the military so that helps a lot.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hawaii isn't the place you'd want to move to unless you know you're going to have a good stable job. Foreign investors are buying up property like crazy, driving up the cost of living and homes. Making $53k a year is considered "low income".

But if you wanna retire out here, have lots of money saved up, then go for it! I'd recommend not Oahu though.

Couldn't have said it better. I am on Oahu currently. When I first moved here a year ago the Mcdonolds was offering something like 7.75. And I am not sure if that was the minimum wage. But thinking about that is crazy. We lived in a 300sq ft "shack" for a year and we paid way more then I want to say. Do you live on island?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Living in Portland rain boards are a must .I ride my cruiser in all weather. Roskopp reissue, Indy 169s, some 60mm longboard wheels(Maybe Gumballs?) and Reds. I got the wheels and bearings off of a longboard I bought at Goodwill for around $15. I've had them at least 7 years and the bearings still cook, despite being ridden through puddles and never cleaned.
I also have a Politic/Domestics shaped deck with orange Reynolds Indy's(also a goodwill score) and Jivaro softies on it. I'll take this one out to spots on soggier days.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:08 AM »
I?ve been thinking of this more and more today and have come to the conclusion that I need a rain setup. Fuck being rained out from a session.

Any recommendations for bearings and a board? Ideally I?d like bearings that won?t rust and a board that won?t go soggy.  :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 01:22:23 AM »
Well, I set up a rain cruiser and a normal rain setup a few days ago. Went cruising a bit in the wet yesterday and then skating for about an hour and it was 100% awesome. Normal boards and normal bearings. They haven't rusted or gone soggy yet, but time will tell how it'll all play out. Just came back from cruising to the pharmacy and corner store in the rain and 8°C (46°F) with my shorts on cuz I busted my knee yesterday and it was so fucking nice cruising in the rain. I didn't remember how much I love rain and skating in the rain somehow has a special aspect to it that makes it somehow even more amazing. 😄

I guess the point of my rambling is: get a rain setup, it's awesome!

If the bearings rust too easily or become a hassle, I think I gotta try out some stainless steel ones. 🤔

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 04:54:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

what part of pnw
[close]

western washington
[close]

[close]

[close]

I swear you guys are just making these town names up.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 09:16:49 AM »
uhivurf is a real town

no, just joking ;D

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 02:59:57 AM »
Cruised some 8 km in the rain yesterday and it was still awesome. Slippery as fuck though with all the fallen leaves even more so. 🙂

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
Do these actually work/last?
http://www.rushbearings.com/skateboardbearings/all-weather-stainless-steel-bearings

good question. hard luck also has all-weather bearings. I wonder how they hold up after lots of use in bad weather. anyone tried these kinds of bearings?

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »
sugar deck,tensor trucks, and old reds...I just don`t give a fuck when wet

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:45 AM »
My rain setup bearings (Indy 5s) pretty much completely seized up. I put a bunch more lube in there when they had dried out and forced them to spin. Now they seem to spin ok. Haven't tried skating it after that yet as it's dark & cold and I've been busy with life. Bearings with removable shields popped seem to work much better for a rain setup. Got that in my rain cruiser and I haven't had much problems with that if I remember to lube it after a proper soak.