Author Topic: Rain setup  (Read 5818 times)

Budgie Lasek

Re: Rain setup
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »
I will do everything within my power to not be outside if it's raining, so a rain set up? No.

krookedjuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 10:32:18 AM »
mine is a couch, the tv, and beer.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
Years ago homie in Eugene had an uncut deck as his rain board. I think it was one of those "shape your own" kits companies occasionally make, like Creature and Alien. He said it was sick and it was so huge it acted as a fender, if you know what I'm trying to say. It looked kinda crazy but seemed like a rad idea.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
The new Powell Flight decks are getting a lot of positive feedback. Could be a potential rain deck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpb5gbEO7qU

SJ

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
I used to live in Portland so I pretty much dealt with rain every day, but a little trick I picked up was to clean your bearings and pack them with white lithium grease (you can buy a tube from an auto parts store for like $3) This will pretty much water proof your bearings and not allow them to rust up, as long as you give your wheels a spin before storing it. It's good for riding in the rain, but when it's dry it can make you slightly slower than normal since the grease is pretty thick.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »
My rain setup is my basement.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
I used to live in Portland so I pretty much dealt with rain every day, but a little trick I picked up was to clean your bearings and pack them with white lithium grease (you can buy a tube from an auto parts store for like $3) This will pretty much water proof your bearings and not allow them to rust up, as long as you give your wheels a spin before storing it. It's good for riding in the rain, but when it's dry it can make you slightly slower than normal since the grease is pretty thick.

I moved to Portland. Got any covered spots you can share? It fucking rains so much here.

SJ

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I moved to Portland. Got any covered spots you can share? It fucking rains so much here.

Pretty much any parking garage (I liked Lloyd Center's) or Burnside, and there's a tiny indoor skatepark (and I mean tiny) on SE 20th, which is really just a mini bowl, mini ramp, and mini street section and it costs like 7 bucks a day/50 a month, worth it if you're desperate and can spare the cash. https://www.cwskate.com/

But yeah, the rain there is a real bummer.

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 10:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty much any parking garage (I liked Lloyd Center's) or Burnside, and there's a tiny indoor skatepark (and I mean tiny) on SE 20th, which is really just a mini bowl, mini ramp, and mini street section and it costs like 7 bucks a day/50 a month, worth it if you're desperate and can spare the cash. https://www.cwskate.com/

Safeway on SE Cesar Chavez and Powell has a curb and a wall to wallride. I live right next to it and see people skating all the time.

#alexander#

• Rep: 10
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 11:52:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Safeway on SE Cesar Chavez and Powell has a curb and a wall to wallride. I live right next to it and see people skating all the time.

ooh thats close to me, the safeway on broadway also has a nice curb in the underground truck loading area, got kicked out the other day but normally dont have issues.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
if your bearings stop moving from rust, just skate again in the rain and they will get moving once they’re wet.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
do you sierra fellers think that a wheel with a wider riding surface would provide more traction or less in the rain/wet? one would think its relatable to bike tires.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »
do you sierra fellers think that a wheel with a wider riding surface would provide more traction or less in the rain/wet? one would think its relatable to bike tires.

Less. A wider wheel will hydroplane more easily. Dunno what that'd be like on a skateboard but I imagine it not being very fun at all. 😊

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
Yes it's worth it if you live in the northwest, I grew up in Olympia, WA. There's a pretty strong scene for a smaller city and everyone in my crew had a rain board at one time. Just some old trucks and a deck with soft wheels so you don't slip out just making a turn or something while you're cruising. Rain boarding almost becomes a different activity in itself, fat puddles become spots. It's dope and definitely helps you keep your sanity over the winter. Spending this winter in AZ though (-:
And just as with normal skating, "higher quality" bearings don't really matter. If your wheels are spinning too well just roll through some more puddles and that shit'll be good