Author Topic: GDQ  (Read 1564 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
GDQ
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »
Anyone watch those Games Done Quick things?  It’s definitely one of the nerdiest things on the planet, but I like ‘em.

For the uninitiated (or those with a semblance of a social life), it’s where a bunch of people do speed runs of video games for charity.

It’s kind of fascinating seeing how these guys have figured out how to tear these games apart, especially if it’s something you’ve played a lot.  There’s a lot of geek/video game culture references that go over my head though.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Seadramon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
Re: GDQ
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
Anyone watch those Games Done Quick things?  It’s definitely one of the nerdiest things on the planet, but I like ‘em.

For the uninitiated (or those with a semblance of a social life), it’s where a bunch of people do speed runs of video games for charity.

It’s kind of fascinating seeing how these guys have figured out how to tear these games apart, especially if it’s something you’ve played a lot.  There’s a lot of geek/video game culture references that go over my head though.

Man, I LOVE speed runs. But mostly speed run bloopers!

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »
mArLeY

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
been watching gdqs for the last few years, progressively got worse due to them banning a fair few people from competing and the autistic clusterfuck crowds they attract. only really watched for kz frews vice city speedrun, esa generally seems like the better event imo.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 06:36:42 AM »
big fan of these speedruns, havent watched much this year but ive paid close attention in years past. the best is the awful games done quick block. i honestly would love to go to this and do a run but im way too lazy and dont wanna hang with the people at this event ever.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:35 AM »
also i gotta say the charity they donate to is a joke (or use to donate to i havent looked this year), it helps cancer AWARENESS, not towards actual studies to help cure cancer. they raise a fuck ton of money idk why they cant pick a better charity that actually does something.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »
Nice, glad you posted this. GDQ has gone downhill the past couple years, but here are a couple of my favorite runs from the past.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
also i gotta say the charity they donate to is a joke (or use to donate to i havent looked this year), it helps cancer AWARENESS, not towards actual studies to help cure cancer. they raise a fuck ton of money idk why they cant pick a better charity that actually does something.

Haha, I didn’t realize that there are people that aren’t aware of cancer.  Seems like most people have heard of it...

I’ve seen ones where the charity is Doctors Without Borders, which seems to be a pretty worthy cause.  I tend to not pay attention honestly.  This recent one had a Sonic the Hedgehog one that was pretty cool... they are apparently the gangstas of the uberdork speedrunning universe.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:28:08 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:24:52 AM »

Favorite one so far since it’s one of my favorite games and the charity is a good one.
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 05:23:05 AM »
this is the best run to laugh at, easily the most awkward.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:19 AM »
Haha, I’ve seen this one before.  That kid is super annoying but the dude running the game is kind of a dick as well.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
I just cannot watch these... I cannot...