Author Topic: How much do you skate?  (Read 1525 times)

calvinsdream

• Rep: -26
Re: How much do you skate?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »
School has royally screwed up my skating schedule. I'm in grad school right now and in the most difficult semester of my program. And I work on weekends. The only days I have totally free are Sundays, but those are normally spent doing assignments that are due for the week. I try and skate once or twice a week, but don't even hit that sometimes.

Over this past summer I was working full-time, plus a side job. I averaged 50-55 hrs a week working, but skated way more. I would skate six days a week for several hours a day. Why? Because my free time was actually my free time. Once I left my work I could do whatever I wanted with the rest of my day/evening. Most days I'd get off work at 5:00 and go to the skatepark to meet up with friends and since it didn't get dark until like 9:00, I'd have several hours to skate. On weekend days where I had the whole day free, I'd skate street with my friends and go on day trips. It was so much fun. I felt more comfortable on my board than I had in years.

Now that I'm back in school there's always something academic hanging over my head, most times multiple things, that need to take priority over skateboarding. In undergrad it was generally never too bad. Barring midterms or finals week, I generally had time to skate three or four times a week. Grad school is a whole other beast though.

Just wanted to chime in - I can really understand this - I'm actually really, really, glad that graduate school is over. It was just always there, in the background, like you were saying - whether grading papers, doing problem sets, studying for qualifying exams, or research or whatever. Having a 9-5 really makes me appreciate leaving work at work.

yungthug

• Rep: -77
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
The fact you want to skate counts as something.....makes sense for sure....with academics you are never done....
Just wanted to chime in - I can really understand this - I'm actually really, really, glad that graduate school is over. It was just always there, in the background, like you were saying - whether grading papers, doing problem sets, studying for qualifying exams, or research or whatever. Having a 9-5 really makes me appreciate leaving work at work.
Thank you for the kind words and commiseration! A positive is that when I do get to skate, I enjoy it a ton more because it's such a rarity.

Even skating flatground for 45 minutes and trying to get frontside flips down is awesome.

Grad school is a season in my life where skateboarding has to take a backseat unfortunately. I can't wait to be done. Thankfully I'm in an accelerated program, so I only have to complete this semester and then one more.

Kudos to everyone on this board who has to juggle responsibilities and commitments and still tries to skate! As you said j soy, it's the desire to skate that counts more than anything.

beatifk

• Rep: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:11 AM »
I try to skate 2 times a day (weather permitting).

About 30-45 mins during my lunch break and then about 60-90 mins after dinner. But i'm skating flat and little curbs and a curb high manual pad so it's pretty low impact.

Summers are too hot here and winter is full of wetness and fog, so that kinda sucks. I just drink and play video games during those days. SUCKS. But I'm trying to get a car this winter so I can go snowboarding on the weekends. It's not the same I know, but it's something. And I'm getting back into cycling (slowly) as well, trying to prep for this big vintage ride in Florence next year.

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 05:58:21 AM »
How 95% of skate meet-ups go in my city from October until April.

"Hey man, wanna skate after work?"
"Yeah cool, I'll meet you at the square at 6"
*relentless rain*
"Well, wanna skate a car park?"
"Nah..."

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Use to be about 4-6 hours a day  (cause I never had a job just the hustle).  Then once I turned 38 I'd be over it after an hour and a half or less.  Can't do the long seshes any more.  The last coulple Ive been living in the sticks so a skate 1.5 times a week not even.  Not gonna stay here so I'll be back into the boardin in no time.

ImportantGuy

• Rep: -23
  • I'd rather be a tree.
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »
Not nearly enough, but making moves to change that!
Stop Scrolling

Chippedwood

• Rep: -10
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
I usually skate alone at night 1 or 2 days a week for a quick 30 minute session, I'll cruise around just ollieing shit, sometimes if I cant find new spots I wont skate for awhile and let my body heal up. Already too cold on the east coast so I have to wait til i have this lil skate vacation next month.
then once a week during the day with homies, I got a normal plaza by my house, so I go there the most and i pretty much just do a slappy noseslide and leave, i might go to the skatepark like 5 times during the summer.
I foam roll hard af :o